Bitcoin Forum
May 05, 2024, 12:08:45 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 2 [3] 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Building the Next Generation of Crypto-Currency (developers required)  (Read 23500 times)
aaaxn

Activity: 359
Merit: 250

View Profile
June 03, 2013, 06:00:47 PM

Am I correct, that mechanisms like colored coins, would not work with this kind of chain?
I'm not really sure how colored coins work but my guess would be that the account tree ledger system in this scheme may not provide the facilities for colored coins.
Account ledger does not keep track of coins so you can't do it exactly same as in bitcoin. If it would be really needed then nothing stop us from creating special colored accounts which can only move coins to other accounts of same color or to new empty accounts which are colored upon creation, but... I don't see reason to worry about it now. We need to implement basic system first.

█
                              █████████                  ██████ 
                      ███████████████████████████   
              ███████████████████████████████   
            ████████████████████████████████   
        █████████████████████████████████     
    ████████████████████████████████████   
    ████████          █████████          █████████   
  ████████                ██████              ████████   
█████████                █████                ████████   
███████████                █                ███████████ 
██████████████                      ██████████████ 
█████████████████            ████████████████ 
███████████████                  ███████████████ 
█████████████                          █████████████ 
███████████              ███                ██████████ 
  ████████              ███████              ███████     
    █████████        █████████          ████████     
        ██████████████████████████████           
              ████████████████████████                 
                  ████████████████████                     
CorionX

Powered by,

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
No Gods or Kings. Only Bitcoin
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.
bitfreak! (OP)
Legendary

Activity: 1536
Merit: 1000

electronic [r]evolution

View Profile WWW
June 03, 2013, 06:38:31 PM

but... I don't see reason to worry about it now. We need to implement basic system first
Agreed.

XCN: CYsvPpb2YuyAib5ay9GJXU8j3nwohbttTz | BTC: 18MWPVJA9mFLPFT3zht5twuNQmZBDzHoWF
Cryptonite - 1st mini-blockchain altcoin | BitShop - digital shop script
Web Developer - PHP, SQL, JS, AJAX, JSON, XML, RSS, HTML, CSS
lexxus

Activity: 309

View Profile
June 03, 2013, 08:57:13 PM

Although the basic implementation is itself a chanlenge, I would still try to keep in a backlog possible advanced features like multi-sig transactions, zero-coin like strong privacy, etc.

I also would like to look into the differences between Account Tree and Ripple Ledger structures as they seem to have something in common.
stellarman

Activity: 60
Merit: 0

View Profile
June 04, 2013, 02:36:46 AM

zero-coin like strong privacy, etc.

In case you are not familiar with it, zero-coin is a very interesting proposal by a very smart guy. See his blog entry about zero-coin here: http://blog.cryptographyengineering.com/2013/04/zerocoin-making-bitcoin-anonymous.html

In a nutshell, zero-coin is an extension for BTC that allows for completely anonymous transactions.

It occurs to me that having the account tree as a separate module might actually make implementing zero-coin easier than with BTC.
bitfreak! (OP)
Legendary

electronic [r]evolution

View Profile WWW
June 04, 2013, 07:39:38 AM

It occurs to me that having the account tree as a separate module might actually make implementing zero-coin easier than with BTC.
Based on my rather poor understanding of zerocoin I would say that you are correct because you could create special zerocoin accounts in the account tree or something along those lines. But the implementation of such a system would probably increase the rate of growth of the account tree by a lot, and this scheme does provide a bit of extra anonymity already.

On an unrelated note, I found this new forum advertisement kind of ironic:
"I'm sure that in 20 years there will either be very large transaction volume or no volume." -- Satoshi

XCN: CYsvPpb2YuyAib5ay9GJXU8j3nwohbttTz | BTC: 18MWPVJA9mFLPFT3zht5twuNQmZBDzHoWF
aaaxn

View Profile
June 05, 2013, 09:07:56 PM
Last edit: June 05, 2013, 09:25:54 PM by aaaxn

I think we can get secure coin laundry without complications of zero coin with Chaum's blind signatures.

It seems complicated, but from user point of view it can be just special button 'Send anonymously' which would automatically divide specified sum into mixing intentions, send it to network and claim tickets. It would cost more than standard transfers to cover additional network load. Its main disadvantage is that if you won't claim your tickets in time you can loose your money.

First let's define Mixing Set.
Mixing Set consists of header and list of inputs to mix. Header includes:
- mixing denomination (1 coin, 100 coin, etc)
- mixing size (how many inputs)
- mixing public key
- time available for ticket redeeming
- input coins used as collateral

Mixing parameters should be standardized so it would be easier to find matching inputs.

Users sends to network intentions to mix which include
- sufficient amount of coins (denomination + fee)
- requested denomination
- requested minimum mixing size
- requested ticket redeeming window
- blinded mixing ticket = blind(random string + payout address). We need random string so every ticket is unique.

Miners monitor received mixing intentions and if miner find set which can be used for creating Mixing Set he can create one.
Miner generates new key pair just for single Mixing Set and includes this key in header. With this key he make blind signatures of all mixing tickets and include such transaction in block.
When Mixing Set is included coins are taken from all participants but are not deposited anywhere.

All mixing participants can now see that their mixing intentions were included in blockchain. They unblind their tickets and with it create output transactions against Mixing Set (their tickets are signed with blocks private key).
Redeem transactions can be included in any next block until redeeming time is up.
When redeeming is over we can have 3 outcomes
- there was less redeemed tickets than input. In this case outputs are credited normally and creator of Mixing Set gets free money.
- all tickets was redeemed. Outputs are credited normally.
- there was more redeemed tickets than inputs. This mean creator of Mixing Set cheated so he looses his collateral (miner who mined block containing first extra ticket gets it) and money is returned to senders. Users can't ever loose their money.

█
              ████████████████████████                 
                  ████████████████████                     
CorionX

Powered by,
BitcoinAshley

Activity: 448

View Profile
June 06, 2013, 02:14:53 AM

Great proposal, I will donate to the bounty.

-Including a zerocoin-esque feature would be great, even if it's just what aaaxn described above. 
-Including certain features commonly requested in BTC would be great. Throwing Coin Control into the GUI, perhaps M of N support, etc.
-Heck, going the extra mile and throwing in cold wallet support in the GUI (like Armory) would give people even MORE reason to celebrate an alt-coin that is NOT just a copy-pasta with a couple minor changes.

I realize it's quite the laundry list, and all you really want to to is try out this new blockchain idea, which is a great idea, but also think of the potential success of an cryptocoin that really "Gets it right" - not just with one major innovation, but that major innovation with a few key features that folks are really looking for.

If you release a copy of the bitcoin-qt/litecoin-qt client with the only change being the smaller blockchain... well, it'll be simple, but it won't stand out quite as much as if you spend some time putting in some great features that people have been asking for in BTC for a while.

The problem with alt-coins is not just that they are copypasta of the bitcoin concept, but also that they are copypasta of the CODE, complete with spaghettification and ugly external dependencies and magic numbers. Many people have called for completely reconfiguring it to comply with good coding practices, and reduce the risk of nasty bugs that might show up later on. I know this is not your intention, to change too much at once, but anything you can do to this effect would be welcomed by the alt-coin community who, after FTC and CNC, have had it up to here with pointless copypasta introduced entirely for speculation. I think if I run another ______-qt executable that shows the same flash screen, same GUI, with no new features... I will facepalm. Grin A major back-end change like what you've proposed with the blockchain almost makes it forgivable. Grin

maco

Activity: 294

View Profile
June 06, 2013, 06:24:29 AM

Great recommendations BitcoinAshley. I have to concur with the following quote.

I am also a C++/C# and Web/Database Developer.. Oracle, Java, JavaScript, SQL, etc..

What area do you need others involved in and how many do you have on-board now?

-Including a zerocoin-esque feature would be great, even if it's just what aaaxn described above. 
-Including certain features commonly requested in BTC would be great. Throwing Coin Control into the GUI, perhaps M of N support, etc.
-Heck, going the extra mile and throwing in cold wallet support in the GUI (like Armory) would give people even MORE reason to celebrate an alt-coin that is NOT just a copy-pasta with a couple minor changes.

I realize it's quite the laundry list, and all you really want to to is try out this new blockchain idea, which is a great idea, but also think of the potential success of an cryptocoin that really "Gets it right" - not just with one major innovation, but that major innovation with a few key features that folks are really looking for.

If you release a copy of the bitcoin-qt/litecoin-qt client with the only change being the smaller blockchain... well, it'll be simple, but it won't stand out quite as much as if you spend some time putting in some great features that people have been asking for in BTC for a while.

The problem with alt-coins is not just that they are copypasta of the bitcoin concept, but also that they are copypasta of the CODE, complete with spaghettification and ugly external dependencies and magic numbers. Many people have called for completely reconfiguring it to comply with good coding practices, and reduce the risk of nasty bugs that might show up later on. I know this is not your intention, to change too much at once, but anything you can do to this effect would be welcomed by the alt-coin community who, after FTC and CNC, have had it up to here with pointless copypasta introduced entirely for speculation. I think if I run another ______-qt executable that shows the same flash screen, same GUI, with no new features... I will facepalm. Grin A major back-end change like what you've proposed with the blockchain almost makes it forgivable. Grin

lexxus

Activity: 309

View Profile
June 06, 2013, 08:34:43 AM

I think we could leverage on a few libraries/technologies as a building blocks:

We could usde zeromq as a basic commnuncation library
DHT for client discovery and additional data storage (libtorrent?)
A lightweight (non-sql?) database for account tree and mini-blockhain indexing (leveldb?)

Also I would love to see a Turing-complete yet secure language for scripts.

It would be good to separate a project into several modules like connectivity, account tree, mini blockchain and assign them to different developers so we can start working on them in parallel.

PS: The last thing I want is to start a flame war on programming languages, but I would give a little time to consider other languages like Java/C#/Python/Ruby instead of C/C++ for the reference implementation.
aaaxn

View Profile
June 06, 2013, 08:55:26 AM

In theory we should avoid using bitcoin source, because it's a mess, but it also represents massive amount of work and it wouldn't be so easy to implement such thing from scratch.
Ideally conformal will finish their bitcoin implementation in Go (https://blog.conformal.com/) and we could base on that. It seems to be nicely abstracted and use much nicer language than C++. That would really speed up development.

Also I would love to see a Turing-complete yet secure language for scripts.
Idea is to drop scripts and replace it with transaction/account types defined in source, so tx would be Turing-complete, but each new type would need to be accepted by majority.

█
              ████████████████████████                 
                  ████████████████████                     
CorionX

Powered by,
bitfreak! (OP)
Legendary

electronic [r]evolution

View Profile WWW
June 06, 2013, 09:32:04 AM
Last edit: June 06, 2013, 09:51:04 AM by bitfreak!

The ability for zerocoin-like anonymity and also the ability conduct secure 0-confirmation transactions are definitely two things at the top of the to-do list after we get a working implementation. The GUI can always be made more complex as we move along so I don't think that should be of particularly large concern right now. But I do feel what you are saying, the Bitcoin GUI could definitely use some more features, especially the ability to easily import private keys.

Thanks for the donation btw, every little bit helps.

bitfreak! (OP)
Legendary

electronic [r]evolution

View Profile WWW
June 06, 2013, 09:40:20 AM

In theory we should avoid using bitcoin source, because it's a mess, but it also represents massive amount of work and it wouldn't be so easy to implement such thing from scratch.
Ideally conformal will finish their bitcoin implementation in Go (https://blog.conformal.com/) and we could base on that. It seems to be nicely abstracted and use much nicer language than C++. That would really speed up development.majority.
C++ may not be the nicest language but it is the fastest and Satoshi made Bitcoin in C++ for a reason. Remember the goal of this project is to try and take the safe road, stick as close to Bitcoin as possible. Using an entirely new Go implementation which has just been built from the ground up is simply for asking for trouble. Maybe if it had already been tested for a year or two I would go for it but at this point I would be strongly against such a plan. It can't be that hard to work with the C++ code considering how many Bitcoin variants now exist. Even if the code really is as bad as some people make it out to be, at least we know it's tested and secure with many years of operation in the wild. Plus there is probably way more information and references concerning the default implementation, at the end of the day it'll probably be easier to fork a C++ implementation such as Litecoin and alter the code to fit our needs.

aaaxn

View Profile
June 06, 2013, 10:13:51 AM

C++ may not be the nicest language but it is the fastest and Satoshi made Bitcoin in C++ for a reason. Remember the goal of this project is to try and take the safe road, stick as close to Bitcoin as possible. Using an entirely new Go implementation which has just been built from the ground up is simply for asking for trouble. Maybe if it had already been tested for a year or two I would go for it but at this point I would be strongly against such a plan. It can't be that hard to work with the C++ code considering how many Bitcoin variants now exist. Even if the code really is as bad as some people make it out to be, at least we know it's tested and secure with many years of operation in the wild. Plus there is probably way more information and references concerning the default implementation, at the end of the day it'll probably be easier to fork a C++ implementation such as Litecoin and alter the code to fit our needs.
Yeah bitcoin is tested so it works good as bitcoin. You know what is the problem with messy code-base? Any little change can cause some serious bugs. And we are not planning to do little changes. After our modification extensive testing would need to be done no matter on what code we will base it.
I don't insist on btcd, they won't probably finish anytime soon anyway.
Litecoin developers recently announced they are doing some serious work around their code so i may be good choice.

█