Bitcoin Forum
May 08, 2024, 06:08:27 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 [6] 7 8 9 10 11 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Building the Next Generation of Crypto-Currency (developers required)  (Read 23502 times)
bitfreak! (OP)
Legendary

Activity: 1536
Merit: 1000

electronic [r]evolution

View Profile WWW
June 10, 2013, 05:34:00 AM
Last edit: June 10, 2013, 05:51:50 AM by bitfreak!

The account tree structure and mini-block-chain approach is 100% the way I think things need to go.   I am attempting to implement a new blockchain and started designing something very similar to the white paper.   So on closer look, I have to give this approach strong backing.
We will have a github repo up very soon and it would help if you could contribute to the project. We plan to work with bitcoinj, are you any good with Java?

XCN: CYsvPpb2YuyAib5ay9GJXU8j3nwohbttTz | BTC: 18MWPVJA9mFLPFT3zht5twuNQmZBDzHoWF
Cryptonite - 1st mini-blockchain altcoin | BitShop - digital shop script
Web Developer - PHP, SQL, JS, AJAX, JSON, XML, RSS, HTML, CSS
Unlike traditional banking where clients have only a few account numbers, with Bitcoin people can create an unlimited number of accounts (addresses). This can be used to easily track payments, and it improves anonymity.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
bitfreak! (OP)
Legendary

Activity: 1536
Merit: 1000

electronic [r]evolution

View Profile WWW
June 10, 2013, 06:15:31 AM

The challenge here is that in the event of a chain split, this transaction could not be applied upon re-merging of the forked chain.  It also limits transactions to 'one per account per block' where as bitcoin could in theory have many different transaction per address provided they were all based upon different outputs and incoming transactions would not interfere with outgoing transactions.
That's a good observation which I hadn't realized. Although I'm having a bit of trouble seeing how your proposed solution would allow multiple transactions using the same account... my brain isn't working well today.

XCN: CYsvPpb2YuyAib5ay9GJXU8j3nwohbttTz | BTC: 18MWPVJA9mFLPFT3zht5twuNQmZBDzHoWF
Cryptonite - 1st mini-blockchain altcoin | BitShop - digital shop script
Web Developer - PHP, SQL, JS, AJAX, JSON, XML, RSS, HTML, CSS
aaaxn

Activity: 359
Merit: 250

View Profile
June 10, 2013, 06:31:41 AM

The challenge here is that in the event of a chain split, this transaction could not be applied upon re-merging of the forked chain.  It also limits transactions to 'one per account per block' where as bitcoin could in theory have many different transaction per address provided they were all based upon different outputs and incoming transactions would not interfere with outgoing transactions.
This initial scheme wasn't as bad as you say. You could include any number of tx in same block, because versions changes was applied only during block inclusion.
Anyway I spotted weakness in this approach already and posted refined proposal in wiki few days ago.
http://bitfreak.info/mbc-wiki/index.php?title=Transaction_Signing

█
                              █████████                  ██████ 
                      ███████████████████████████   
              ███████████████████████████████   
            ████████████████████████████████   
        █████████████████████████████████     
    ████████████████████████████████████   
    ████████          █████████          █████████   
  ████████                ██████              ████████   
█████████                █████                ████████   
███████████                █                ███████████ 
██████████████                      ██████████████ 
█████████████████            ████████████████ 
███████████████                  ███████████████ 
█████████████                          █████████████ 
███████████              ███                ██████████ 
  ████████              ███████              ███████     
    █████████        █████████          ████████     
        ██████████████████████████████           
              ████████████████████████                 
                  ████████████████████                     
CorionX

Powered by,
bytemaster

Activity: 770
Merit: 566

fractally

View Profile WWW
June 10, 2013, 06:33:53 AM

I have done Java, though c++ is my primary language.    I think that we need to solve some of the design details that are language independent first and if there is a solid java implementation then I could be tempted to go that route.  

I have a strong need for many parallel chains with combined proof-of-work as a means of providing scaling beyond what a single chain could do.   So off of the top of my head some small changes I would make:

1) move the nonce to the proof chain and replace the block-hash with an accumulator (see ZeroCoin), this would allow all mining efforts for all chains using the same 'proof of work' to support as many chains as possible with almost no extra work.   The nonce would only add 8 to 12 bytes per proof header and thus would not really affect the result.

2) Define sector sizes and what goes in each sector.  Assuming you use something like sha224 you incur 28 bytes of overhead for each level in the merkel tree.  If you have a deep tree, then to 'address' a particular change would require 28 bytes per layer.   If you have a 'flat tree' then recalculating the root hash would require hashing your entire data set.    From a purely big-O stand point you want a hash tree that grows in depth as your data set grows.   The only question you have to consider is the 'branching factor' with 2 being the lowest and something on the order of 1 MB of accounts being the 'largest'.   From a network perspective, having each 'sector' of the dataset fit in a single UDP packet may be the right sector size.   Assuming each account is 48 bytes this means about 32 accounts per sector and each node in your merkel tree would in turn contain about 32 hashes 'children'.   The end result would be log32( total accounts size ) * sizeof(sha224) to prove a prove a particular 'account' has membership in the root hash.       Something to consider regarding making the sector size too large is the probability of a random transaction causing a change to a sector.   If 1% of all addresses see changes in every block and your sector size is 128 then chances are *every sector* will change every time and thus you have little savings.  

To counter this 'random' behavior, free slots should be deterministically selected from the most-frequently changed sector first.   In fact each block should not just update/replace certain sector, but instead should 'sort' the addresses by least-recently accessed.   So, assume 5 addresses change in 5 different sectors resulting in 5*32 addresses that are part of a changed sector.   Users would have to fetch entire sectors at a time anyway so we might as well use the fact that these sectors have 'changed' to re-sort all 5 sectors moving the 5 changes into the same 'new sector' and moving the least recently changed into other sectors.   This will result in a 'hot set' and a 'cold' set and thus minimize the total number of sector fetches that must occur.  

Ultimately you need all accounts to be accessed via a hash table and to validate that you have the 'entire hash table'.   Moving addresses around within the sectors would cause significant overhead in updating your hash-table index that allows you to find the addresses quickly.  This might be 'unavoidable' if you want to minimize sync overhead as you would be trading CPU time for network time.  

3) Identify how splits / remerges will be handled.  I think the white paper fails to properly handle this issue along with handling multiple transactions from a single account in a single block.

https://fractally.com - the next generation of decentralized autonomous organizations (DAOs).
bytemaster

fractally

View Profile WWW
June 10, 2013, 06:36:02 AM

This initial scheme wasn't as bad as you say. You could include any number of tx in same block, because versions changes was applied only during block inclusion.
Anyway I spotted weakness in this approach already and posted refined proposal in wiki few days ago.
http://bitfreak.info/mbc-wiki/index.php?title=Transaction_Signing

It looks like the solution posted on the wiki is the same solution I came up with, so we are all on the same page!   

https://fractally.com - the next generation of decentralized autonomous organizations (DAOs).
aaaxn

View Profile
June 10, 2013, 06:36:47 AM
Last edit: June 10, 2013, 07:02:05 AM by aaaxn

I have done Java, though c++ is my primary language.    I think that we need to solve some of the design details that are language independent first and if there is a solid java implementation then I could be tempted to go that route.  
I think we should put design together in wiki before touching code.
I already made a page regarding account tree implementation. I think we should just stick with binary tree.
http://bitfreak.info/mbc-wiki/index.php?title=Account_Ledger

EDIT:
1) move the nonce to the proof chain and replace the block-hash with an accumulator (see ZeroCoin), this would allow all mining efforts for all chains using the same 'proof of work' to support as many chains as possible with almost no extra work.   The nonce would only add 8 to 12 bytes per proof header and thus would not really affect the result.
As for merged mining I think it would be nice to include it, but I need to think it over. Do you know any good quality resources where it is described?

Ultimately you need all accounts to be accessed via a hash table and to validate that you have the 'entire hash table'.   Moving addresses around within the sectors would cause significant overhead in updating your hash-table index that allows you to find the addresses quickly.  This might be 'unavoidable' if you want to minimize sync overhead as you would be trading CPU time for network time. 
I think we should treat account ledger as just list of accounts. Account never changes its place on ledger unless it is emptied. This way we can address accounts by just its offset in ledger. This would enable us to make transaction a lot smaller because offset would fit in 5 bytes while public key is 32 bytes.

█
█████████████████            ████████████████ 
███████████████                  ███████████████ 
█████████████                          █████████████ 
███████████              ███                ██████████ 
  ████████              ███████              ███████     
    █████████        █████████          ████████     
        ██████████████████████████████           
              ████████████████████████                 
                  ████████████████████                     
CorionX

Powered by,
bytemaster

fractally

View Profile WWW
June 10, 2013, 07:21:34 AM

I already made a page regarding account tree implementation. I think we should just stick with binary tree.

EDIT:
1) move the nonce to the proof chain and replace the block-hash with an accumulator (see ZeroCoin), this would allow all mining efforts for all chains using the same 'proof of work' to support as many chains as possible with almost no extra work.   The nonce would only add 8 to 12 bytes per proof header and thus would not really affect the result.
As for merged mining I think it would be nice to include it, but I need to think it over. Do you know any good quality resources where it is described?
I recently stumbled across these two papers which show that it is possible to prove a 'hash' exists in a fixed sized accumulator.  This is the basis behind ZeroCoin.

http://www.cs.stevens.edu/~mdemare/pubs/owa.pdf
http://spar.isi.jhu.edu/~mgreen/ZerocoinOakland.pdf

lexxus

Activity: 309

View Profile
June 10, 2013, 07:35:52 AM

We should also choose the "slot" size optimaly for the Account Ledger tree.
We can use the results from http://ecommons.library.cornell.edu/bitstream/1813/5655/1/TR2004-1944.pdf
lexxus

Activity: 309

View Profile
June 10, 2013, 07:38:33 AM

I recently stumbled across these two papers which show that it is possible to prove a 'hash' exists in a fixed sized accumulator.  This is the basis behind ZeroCoin.

But why we actually need an accumulator here? Can we just add the transactions to the block and mine it as usual? We can have a separate account ledger for any other currency to store balances.
aaaxn

View Profile
June 10, 2013, 07:38:46 AM

http://www.cs.stevens.edu/~mdemare/pubs/owa.pdf
http://spar.isi.jhu.edu/~mgreen/ZerocoinOakland.pdf
It is just theoretical work. We would need already implemented stable libraries.

█