Bitcoin Forum
May 04, 2024, 08:17:54 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 [7] 8 9 10 11 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Building the Next Generation of Crypto-Currency (developers required)  (Read 23500 times)
bytemaster

Activity: 770
Merit: 566

fractally

View Profile WWW
June 15, 2013, 02:01:18 AM

I have a question about the proof-chain.

The proofs are only valid if they are newer than the head of the chain because old proofs say nothing about new blocks.   Therefore, having a history of 'random proofs' for which you no longer have the block header used to generate the proof nor any of the data from that block that serves to confirm the initial condition of the oldest block in the mini-chain is actually worthless.   Any attacker could start building off of the proof chain at any point and ultimately 100% of your security comes from the mini-chain. 

The only 'value' the proof chain could provide is to the extent that it enables new proofs to be performed *after* the most recent mini blockchain node. 

Please let me know what I am missing and why I should care about the old proofs which confirm nothing about the initial state of the mini chain.

https://fractally.com - the next generation of decentralized autonomous organizations (DAOs).
Activity + Trust + Earned Merit == The Most Recognized Users on Bitcointalk
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
cunicula
Legendary

Activity: 1050
Merit: 1003

View Profile
June 15, 2013, 05:04:06 AM

The proofs are only valid if they are newer than the head of the chain because old proofs say nothing about new blocks.   Therefore, having a history of 'random proofs' for which you no longer have the block header used to generate the proof nor any of the data from that block that serves to confirm the initial condition of the oldest block in the mini-chain is actually worthless.   Any attacker could start building off of the proof chain at any point and ultimately 100% of your security comes from the mini-chain.  

The only 'value' the proof chain could provide is to the extent that it enables new proofs to be performed *after* the most recent mini blockchain node.  

Please let me know what I am missing and why I should care about the old proofs which confirm nothing about the initial state of the mini chain.
This seems like a good point to me. Couldn't the old proof chain be reapplied by anyone? I mean you don't actually have to make a fresh 'old proof chain' to support an attack chain. Instead you build on top of the old proof chain, you make up an arbitrary coin distribution at the beginning of te mini-blockchain, and then you build on it with your own attack blocks. The 'old proof chain' serves no obvious function.

Is the following approach a viable alternative? It is still txn based rather than account based.

1) For the last say 20000 blocks record all txns. This is the miniblockchain. We don't save block-by-block txn data besides this.
2) Every 10000 blocks, net changes in account balances occurring during a 10,000 block period are summarized in a 'superblock'. Say for example that address A starts with 10 coins at time k. Between k and k+ 10,000, address A sends all these coins to various addresses and ends up with 0. All the superblock needs to record is {address A -10}. We don't need to preserve the nitty gritty details of all txns and precisely when they occurred. However, we still preserve a basic historical record of account balance changes.
3)Say it time t=T right now, where t is measured in blocks. At genesis, t=0 and all addresses start with 0. We have periodic snapshots of account balances at times 0, 10000, 20000, 30000, ..., most recent superblock) {I am to tired to write down the timing of the most recent superblock right now}.
4) We also have block-by-block snapshots of account balances for the last 20000 blocks. There is an overlap interval between the miniblockchain and the last superblock to allow for short-reorgnaizations, which might orphan this superblock.
5) You can incorporate PoW based on superblocks and in the old proof chain. Since superblocks behave very similarly to giant merged blocks, so they cannot be altered without redoing all the old PoW. You could build off superblocks to make an attack chain, but you would have to start from an actual historical state of the blockchain. You couldn't make up an arbitrary historical state.

I got on a plane at midnight and arrived at 6 this morning. If this is nonsensical I will try again after I have slept.
aaaxn

Activity: 359
Merit: 250

View Profile
June 15, 2013, 07:44:59 AM

This problem was already discussed:
https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=195275.msg2035208#msg2035208

In short:
- how many full blocks node stores is configurable (with minimum)
- nodes will not accept competing blockchain unless they have history all the way up to the moment branches diverged.
- if it happened before last available block nodes queries other nodes for missing blocks
- if node cannot find missing history it just refuses to operate and require manual intervention

Too put things into perspective. Mini blockchain should contains something like 1 month of txns minimum. If anyone can do 1 month deep chain reorganization currency would by DEAD no matter if this means overwriting balances or just reverting all transactions.

Anyway whitepaper is little outdated already and update wouldn't hurt.

█
                              █████████                  ██████ 
                      ███████████████████████████   
              ███████████████████████████████   
            ████████████████████████████████   
        █████████████████████████████████     
    ████████████████████████████████████   
    ████████          █████████          █████████   
  ████████                ██████              ████████   
█████████                █████                ████████   
███████████                █                ███████████ 
██████████████                      ██████████████ 
█████████████████            ████████████████ 
███████████████                  ███████████████ 
█████████████                          █████████████ 
███████████              ███                ██████████ 
  ████████              ███████              ███████     
    █████████        █████████          ████████     
        ██████████████████████████████           
              ████████████████████████                 
                  ████████████████████                     
CorionX

Powered by,
bytemaster

fractally

View Profile WWW
June 15, 2013, 07:59:10 AM

In other words the proof chain is worthless and the mini-block chain must have at least 1 month of history.

https://fractally.com - the next generation of decentralized autonomous organizations (DAOs).
bytemaster

fractally

View Profile WWW
June 15, 2013, 08:00:41 AM

The proofs are only valid if they are newer than the head of the chain because old proofs say nothing about new blocks.   Therefore, having a history of 'random proofs' for which you no longer have the block header used to generate the proof nor any of the data from that block that serves to confirm the initial condition of the oldest block in the mini-chain is actually worthless.   Any attacker could start building off of the proof chain at any point and ultimately 100% of your security comes from the mini-chain.  

This seems like a good point to me. Couldn't the old proof chain be reapplied by anyone? I mean you don't actually have to make a fresh 'old proof chain' to support an attack chain. Instead you build on top of the old proof chain, you make up an arbitrary coin distribution at the beginning of te mini-blockchain, and then you build on it with your own attack blocks. The 'old proof chain' serves no obvious function.

Is the following approach a viable alternative? It is still txn based rather than account based.

1) For the last say 20000 blocks record all txns. This is the miniblockchain. We don't save block-by-block txn data besides this.
2) Every 10000 blocks, net changes in account balances occurring during a 10,000 block period are summarized in a 'superblock'. Say for example that address A starts with 10 coins at time k. Between k and k+ 10,000, address A sends all these coins to various addresses and ends up with 0. All the superblock needs to record is {address A -10}. We don't need to preserve the nitty gritty details of all txns and precisely when they occurred. However, we still preserve a basic historical record of account balance changes.
3)Say it time t=T right now, where t is measured in blocks. At genesis, t=0 and all addresses start with 0. We have periodic snapshots of account balances at times 0, 10000, 20000, 30000, ..., most recent superblock) {I am to tired to write down the timing of the most recent superblock right now}.
4) We also have block-by-block snapshots of account balances for the last 20000 blocks. There is an overlap interval between the miniblockchain and the last superblock to allow for short-reorgnaizations, which might orphan this superblock.
5) You can incorporate PoW based on superblocks and in the old proof chain. Since superblocks behave very similarly to giant merged blocks, so they cannot be altered without redoing all the old PoW. You could build off superblocks to make an attack chain, but you would have to start from an actual historical state of the blockchain. You couldn't make up an arbitrary historical state.

I got on a plane at midnight and arrived at 6 this morning. If this is nonsensical I will try again after I have slept.

This would work, however, maintaining even the diffs of the entire account history would require GB of data for any large number of accounts.    I think the right solution is to not require anything more than 1 year.

aaaxn

View Profile
June 15, 2013, 09:11:00 AM

In other words the proof chain is worthless and the mini-block chain must have at least 1 month of history.
Proof chain with block headers is needed to prove that historical block you hold is valid (for example you hold block with certain txn which you want to keep record forever). Proof chain on its own is absolutely useless imo.

█
█████████████████            ████████████████ 
███████████████                  ███████████████ 
█████████████                          █████████████ 
███████████              ███                ██████████ 
  ████████              ███████              ███████     
    █████████        █████████          ████████     
        ██████████████████████████████           
              ████████████████████████                 
                  ████████████████████                     
CorionX

Powered by,
bitfreak! (OP)
Legendary

Activity: 1536
Merit: 1000

electronic [r]evolution

View Profile WWW
June 15, 2013, 09:55:53 AM
Last edit: June 15, 2013, 10:07:38 AM by bitfreak!

The proof chain is simply a container of expended energy, all it needs to do is prove that some sort of work was done. aaaxn already gave a link to where we discussed the issue you brought up. It's really a minor issue because chances are it would never happen and if it does happen we have a good failsafe plan mentioned by aaaxn:

I think new nodes in this situation (it should be extremely rare or never) should just query nodes for blockchain all the way to block in which competing chains diverged and if no one around has this long history node should just refuse to operate and wait until thing settle. Or it can be advised to download updated client which should in this situation contain hardcoded checkpoint provided by community pointing to right chain.

It's really only new nodes which would be at risk so dealing with it in that way is acceptable.

XCN: CYsvPpb2YuyAib5ay9GJXU8j3nwohbttTz | BTC: 18MWPVJA9mFLPFT3zht5twuNQmZBDzHoWF
Cryptonite - 1st mini-blockchain altcoin | BitShop - digital shop script
Web Developer - PHP, SQL, JS, AJAX, JSON, XML, RSS, HTML, CSS
cunicula
Legendary

View Profile
June 15, 2013, 06:13:16 PM

This would work, however, maintaining even the diffs of the entire account history would require GB of data for any large number of accounts.    I think the right solution is to not require anything more than 1 year.
The balance sheet is the diff of the entire account history from genesis. This is always needed.

You could aggregate 'superblocks' in a telescoping fashion. The past snapshots would become progressively macroscopic; e.g.  

1,2,4,8,16,32,64,128,256,512,1024,2048,4096,8132,16384,32678, 65536, 131072, 262144, ...,

That is 18 sets of differences for 5 years worth of blockchain. 19 snapshots for 10 years and so on.

The overlapping miniblockchain could be quite short, say a day.

1,2,3,...,142,143,144 (the end)

I don't think that would necessarily be larger in size than a month long mini-blockchain and a balance sheet.

I'm still wrapping my head around the idea. Intuitively ignoring the past seems correct, but then you begin to wonder why keep a month of information in the blockchain, why not just a day? Is there a good answer for this? What problems arise as you decrease the time interval?
bytemaster

fractally

View Profile WWW
June 15, 2013, 06:22:03 PM

Well, Bitcoin seems to think that 1 day is sufficient to handle chain-reorgs.

There *is* one benefit for the long-tail proof of work is that it establishes the initial difficulty condition.  Which would then force all attackers to have 51% power with the ability to overcome 1 month of transactions.

cunicula
Legendary

View Profile
June 15, 2013, 06:38:23 PM

Well, Bitcoin seems to think that 1 day is sufficient to handle chain-reorgs.

There *is* one benefit for the long-tail proof of work is that it establishes the initial difficulty condition.  Which would then force all attackers to have 51% power with the ability to overcome 1 month of transactions.

Yes, I guess if you can rent PoW, then renting a month is much more expensive than renting a day. It then follows that renting 10 years is much more expensive then renting a month.

If you can't rent PoW and must own the capital, then 1 day = 1 month = 1 year. more or less.

aaaxn

View Profile
June 16, 2013, 08:33:21 AM

You could build off superblocks to make an attack chain, but you would have to start from an actual historical state of the blockchain. You couldn't make up an arbitrary historical state.

You just pushed problem one step back. All you have to do is start from known superblock  and proceed to next one which can be arbitrary and then wait util txn between this blocks are forgotten. It is impossible to overcome this "problem", but it isn't any problem in real world, because very deep reorgs are not expected to happen and if they do community wil react anyway. Imagine bitcoin was attacked today with chain making 10000 blocks reorg and cancelling all txns. What would happen? Of course coummunity will apply patch with checkpoint cancelling this emerged fork.

Attacker just adopts existing proofchain (it doesn't prove anything without txns after all) into his attack so it gives us nothing.

█