Bitcoin Forum
April 27, 2024, 02:21:11 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 [9] 10 11 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Building the Next Generation of Crypto-Currency (developers required)  (Read 23495 times)
bytemaster

Activity: 770
Merit: 566

fractally

View Profile WWW
June 22, 2013, 02:05:41 PM

2) 'account tree' which I call 'unspent transaction outputs'
That is just really confusing. The account tree isn't a collection of unspent outputs, because all the unspent outputs are merged into a single balance for any given address. When dealing with an account tree you're probably over complicating the matter by referring to is as such.

While BitShares will implement many other features, they could be easily removed in a fork that implemented only the subset described here. 
Yes I suppose that would be possible but at this point we're still going with Java and if we did fork BitShares we couldn't start coding our project simultaneously. BitShares seems like it will be fairly complicated and I doubt much of it will really be what we need for Peercash anyway. And the more sensible way to do it would be to build Peercash first and then build BitShares on top of that if we were going to work together.

I understand that you are merging all unspent outputs with the same script into a single balance.  After much thought and consideration, using account balances creates challenges that are intractable when it comes to paying dividends and several other things.   By using unspent outputs and charging fees anytime a transaction creates more unspent outputs than it consumes and several other things market forces will align to minimize the number of unspent outputs. 

If you do create the next generation crypto-currency then it should probably offer something other than just reduced resources.  There is already someone working on ultimate blockchain compression. 

https://fractally.com - the next generation of decentralized autonomous organizations (DAOs).

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
The grue lurks in the darkest places of the earth. Its favorite diet is adventurers, but its insatiable appetite is tempered by its fear of light. No grue has ever been seen by the light of day, and few have survived its fearsome jaws to tell the tale.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
bitfreak! (OP)
Legendary

Activity: 1536
Merit: 1000

electronic [r]evolution

View Profile WWW
June 22, 2013, 02:47:41 PM

If you do create the next generation crypto-currency then it should probably offer something other than just reduced resources.  There is already someone working on ultimate blockchain compression. 
Yeah but the mini-blockchain scheme will be much more efficient than the ultimate blockchain compression scheme and it should be easier to implement. Plus it should have several new features including secure 0-confirmation transactions and other things which no other alt-coin has. Once it has been implemented you will be able to fully understand why it is so superior to the old blockchain scheme, assuming it works of course.

XCN: CYsvPpb2YuyAib5ay9GJXU8j3nwohbttTz | BTC: 18MWPVJA9mFLPFT3zht5twuNQmZBDzHoWF
Cryptonite - 1st mini-blockchain altcoin | BitShop - digital shop script
Web Developer - PHP, SQL, JS, AJAX, JSON, XML, RSS, HTML, CSS
bytemaster

fractally

View Profile WWW
June 22, 2013, 03:00:38 PM

Yeah but the mini-blockchain scheme will be much more efficient than the ultimate blockchain compression scheme and it should be easier to implement. Plus it should have several new features including secure 0-confirmation transactions and other things which no other alt-coin has. Once it has been implemented you will be able to fully understand why it is so superior to the old blockchain scheme, assuming it works of course.

Trust me I know it doesn't take much to be superior to the bitcoin blockchain.  It just takes a lot to actually work without compromising security.    In theory the limit you face is on total unique accounts rather than transaction volume.

I did an analysis of the Bitcoin blockchain and looked at just unspent transaction outputs over time.   You immediately get a 8:1 compression.   If you can eliminate the need to store the inputs to the unspent outputs you end up with 16:1 compression.     Lastly, when you provide fees for creating new unspent outputs and don't charge people for large transactions that merge dust along with taxing all unspent outputs over 1 year old (to keep them fresh and prove private key ownership wasn't lost) then you end up with about 32:1 compression on the data that must be stored.  In effect, the current bitcoin transaction volume / user base would only require about 400 MB of data that would grow proportional to the user-base rather than proportional to transaction volume. 

In your system you compress it one step further by always merging all 'balances' into one address.   In my system I create economic incentives for users to do this but do not require it due to other implementation/security challenges.  Therefore, I would guess that the theoretical gains of compressing down to just one output per address would be very small compared to where I think BitShares is now and it comes at a cost that limits flexibility on dividends.

https://fractally.com - the next generation of decentralized autonomous organizations (DAOs).
bitfreak! (OP)
Legendary

electronic [r]evolution

View Profile WWW
June 22, 2013, 03:17:15 PM

In theory the limit you face is on total unique accounts rather than transaction volume.
Yes that is correct, but you don't really need to do any of the calculations you did to work out how fast the account tree will grow. Simply look at what fields each account in the account tree holds to workout the size of each account and then you can look at how fast new addresses are introduced into the Bitcoin blockchain to get an idea of how fast it will grow. Even if you take every single address the Bitcoin network has ever seen it's still quite small in size. But obviously not all the addresses that the Bitcoin network has seen remain unempty, and the account tree can drop all the non-empty addresses.

XCN: CYsvPpb2YuyAib5ay9GJXU8j3nwohbttTz | BTC: 18MWPVJA9mFLPFT3zht5twuNQmZBDzHoWF
bytemaster

fractally

View Profile WWW
June 22, 2013, 03:20:13 PM

Have you actually calculated the total number of unique addresses with non-0 balances vs the total unspent?  I suspect the majority is people with automatic mining pool payments every .01 BTC that have not 'spent' them together yet.  Create financial incentive (like dividends / fees) to combine this kind of thing and we are not far off in data requirements.

bitfreak! (OP)
Legendary

electronic [r]evolution

View Profile WWW
June 22, 2013, 03:27:48 PM

Have you actually calculated the total number of unique addresses with non-0 balances vs the total unspent?
No I don't think I have. I have done what I just said though, I calculated how fast the account tree should grow but I can't really remember the result which I why I didn't give exact figures (based on all unique addresses seen by the network). I'd have to do the calculation again when I have a free moment.

bitfreak! (OP)
Legendary

electronic [r]evolution

View Profile WWW
June 22, 2013, 04:05:22 PM
Last edit: June 22, 2013, 05:16:33 PM by bitfreak!

http://bitcoin.stackexchange.com/questions/2828/how-many-bitcoin-addresses-are-have-been-carrying-a-balance

If that link is anything to go by the number of non-empty addresses stayed at about 600,000 through 2011 and 2012, although it might be higher now. I can't be certain exactly how large each account in the account tree will be, but you can see how that is an extremely small number even using the most conservative estimations.

EDIT: here's another interesting link:
http://bitcoin.stackexchange.com/questions/10850/how-many-bitcoin-addresses-are-there?rq=1

The top answer states that as of 12th May 2013 there were 1.6 million Bitcoin addresses which carried a positive balance, although the writer of the answer doesn't provide any links our sources for his answer, unlike the answer in the first link.

bytemaster

fractally

View Profile WWW
June 22, 2013, 07:06:01 PM

Those are some very interesting numbers, 1.6 million addresses each of which requires the following information:

1) Block              4 bytes (last change)
2) Balance           8 bytes
3) out Script       40 bytes
4) Unit                2 bytes

The result would be about 100 MB scaling with the number of users.   

The bitcoin block transaction fee system is perverse and does not encourage users to combine outputs and in fact makes it uneconomical to do so.   There are about 1M net new unspent outputs every month for the past several months.   Many of these outputs are SDICE and mining pools which are making small transactions. 

What I can conclude is that with proper incentives you could cause the unspent outputs to approximate actual accounts in number. 

bitfreak! (OP)
Legendary

electronic [r]evolution

View Profile WWW
June 22, 2013, 07:24:09 PM

Probably even smaller because I'm sure there will be ways to compress data in the account tree.

What I can conclude is that with proper incentives you could cause the unspent outputs to approximate actual accounts in number.
Well what I can conclude is that incentive isn't enough and if we want to take crypto-currency to the next level we need something like a mini-blockchain scheme. Although if you are forced to use the old transaction model for BitShares then your only hope may be to provide incentives.

aaaxn

Activity: 359
Merit: 250

View Profile
June 22, 2013, 08:18:01 PM

Those are some very interesting numbers, 1.6 million addresses each of which requires the following information:

1) Block              4 bytes (last change)
2) Balance           8 bytes
3) out Script       40 bytes
4) Unit                2 bytes

The bitcoin block transaction fee system is perverse and does not encourage users to combine outputs and in fact makes it uneconomical to do so.   There are about 1M net new unspent outputs every month for the past several months.   Many of these outputs are SDICE and mining pools which are making small transactions. 

I think a lot of addresses are created "by accident" because of change sending. User wouldn't intentionally create them so account number in ledger system might be smaller.

█
                              █████████                  ██████ 
                      ███████████████████████████   
              ███████████████████████████████   
            ████████████████████████████████   
        █████████████████████████████████     
    ████████████████████████████████████   
    ████████          █████████          █████████   
  ████████                ██████              ████████   
█████████                █████                ████████   
███████████                █                ███████████ 
██████████████                      ██████████████