Bitcoin Forum
May 07, 2024, 07:14:47 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 [2]  All
  Print  
Author Topic: The end justifies the means  (Read 681 times)
rox04

Activity: 13
Merit: 0

View Profile
October 13, 2017, 07:58:51 AM

The “ends justifying the means” usually involves doing something wrong to achieve a positive end and justifying the wrongdoing

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Every time a block is mined, a certain amount of BTC (called the subsidy) is created out of thin air and given to the miner. The subsidy halves every four years and will reach 0 in about 130 years.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Kavallo

Activity: 395
Merit: 129

View Profile
October 13, 2017, 02:12:23 PM

In the history of politics I cannot recall many politicians who didn't in one way or another apply this principle of Macchiavelli.
September11

Activity: 135
Merit: 10

View Profile
December 14, 2017, 02:33:20 AM

This is a phrase which is especially valid in politics, I think that in normal life one should act more morally.

⚡⚡ PRiVCY ⚡⚡   ▂▃▅▆█ ✅ PRiVCY (PRIV) is a new PoW/PoS revolutionary privacy project ● ☞ ✅ Best privacy crypto-market! ● █▆▅▃▂
    Own Your Privacy! ─────────────────║ WebsiteGithub  |  Bitcointalk  |  Twitter  |  Discord  |  Explorer ║─────────────────
   ✯✯✯✯✯                 ✈✈✈[Free Airdrop - Starts 9th June]✅[Tor]✈✈✈ ║───────────║ Wallet ➢ ✓ Windows  |  ✓ macOS  |  ✓ Linux
tsinelas

Activity: 252
Merit: 100

View Profile
December 14, 2017, 03:37:17 AM

How are you going to reason out this phrase "The end justifies the means" when it comes to giving. For example, you really desire to help but your means of helping those in need is ZERO as in nothing. So you rob someone of his money and give it to the one you are wishing to help with. The objective is good but we all know that stealing is wrong and is a sin. So what is your opinion on this please. Will you do the same or just won't do anything?
The end justify the means can also be compared to Karma. What ever you do to someone, comes back to you. Same with what goes around, comes around. Or on whatever you do, may it be for the goodness of another,

▬▬▬▬▬      ▬     iCumulate         Investing in the future together           ▬      ▬▬▬▬▬
WHITEPAPER  ]     ████     PRESALE  /  Nov 30th - Dec 7th     ████     [   ONE PAGER   ]
▬      ▬▬▬▬▬     Twitter     ●     Facebook     ●     Telegram     ●     Medium     ▬▬▬▬▬      ▬
football998

Activity: 73
Merit: 10

View Profile
December 14, 2017, 04:00:51 AM

How are you going to reason out this phrase "The end justifies the means" when it comes to giving. For example, you really desire to help but your means of helping those in need is ZERO as in nothing. So you rob someone of his money and give it to the one you are wishing to help with. The objective is good but we all know that stealing is wrong and is a sin. So what is your opinion on this please. Will you do the same or just won't do anything?
No , i will not do the same , if someone needs money  but i don't have enough money , i will borrow money from my friends and give it to him .
if my friends don't have money , I think I would not do anything instead of doing bad things

◕  INGOTCOIN  ◕    ██  Twitter  ██      ██  Telegram  ██  ◕  INGOTCOIN  ◕
████  BRIDGING MARKETS ███
██          AN ALL INCLUSIVE ECOSYSTEM          ██
dogz12

Activity: 210
Merit: 15

View Profile
December 14, 2017, 05:28:34 AM

The stated example fits to the phrase "the justifies the means" but the problem is you stated the wrong phrase, it should be "the end does not justify the means. It is actually a basis of morality and there are 3 of them. The first is "do good, avoid evil", second one is "if confronted with two evils, choose the lesser evil and the last "the end does not justify the means". Np matter how good are our intentions maybe if the means or the act is wrong then it is always wrong.
Naoko

Activity: 812
Merit: 1000

View Profile
December 18, 2017, 12:19:36 PM

The end justify the means can also be compared to Karma. What ever you do to someone, comes back to you. Same with what goes around, comes around. Or on whatever you do, may it be for the goodness of another,
I agree...our goal can justify the means, if it doesn't harm others...otherwise - we are responsible for it
Yorkshire

Activity: 176
Merit: 1

ENCRYBIT — FUTURE OF CRYPTOEXCHANGE

View Profile
August 12, 2018, 01:41:28 PM

In my first year in the university I didn’t start lecture until two weeks to the 1st semester’s examination because of issues with supplementary admission list which also affected me. Some people who started lecture earlier and were doing quite well before I was able to sort myself out could not graduate for one reason or the other. In life some people start quite well but could not end well or even finish what they started. With perseverance and faith some notable personalities, big churches, businesses, etc. have developed to the height they are today from nothing. The end they say justifies the means.   

ENCRYBIT.IO - Private Sale is Live! (https://encrybit.io/)
●Buy ENCX Tokens & Get up to 40% Discount●
rsremove21

Activity: 71

View Profile
August 14, 2018, 12:28:55 AM

for no. i will not do it. cause stealing or robbing is againts the law. if you one to help somebody yoy can do it in the other way and not in the bad way.
BossRoss89

Activity: 18

View Profile
August 14, 2018, 10:18:32 AM

The phrase is good only to achieve goals in the right ways that will not harm anyone. If you steal, it will not lead to anything good, no matter how bright the ultimate goal is.

Absolutely! Some things in life can never be justified, IMO
omonuyak

Activity: 882
Merit: 269

View Profile
August 15, 2018, 07:33:24 AM

The end justifies the means is words that we have hard several times and I don't think we should do evil to favour the end and think we are doing the right thing.  If you do something legitimate, that is when the end justified the means.
FilesFM_Team
Copper Member

Activity: 20

View Profile
August 15, 2018, 09:04:22 AM

I've recently been reading 'Confessions of an economic hitman'. I think the phrase The end justifies the means is relevant to what was happening in the situations in that book. Economic hitman would be like vultures in the sky looking for countries which were seeking development to appease the local people and prevent from regime change, civil war, etc. These countries would be given huge amounts of investment in the shape of loans, which the economic hitman would model situations which they hope they would either have to go into huge amounts of debt or the countries would have to allow the building of army bases, huge discounts on oil, being sympathetic to American interests and needs, etc as a way to slow down the debt the country incurred. 'the end justifies the means' in this situation due to the quality of life the local people would benefit from the newly built schools, airports, oil pipelines, etc which would hopefully after many years, be able to pay off.

Is the situation ideal? no, ultimately only the construction contractors, and the assets the Americans controlled in the country ultimately benefited. but on the back of that scenario the local government were able to satisfy the needs of the local people, stay seated in power, and improve literacy, technical and academic levels.

P2P and blockchain-based file catalog and search engine with AI
HarvyDent

Activity: 22

View Profile
August 15, 2018, 09:45:52 AM

There could be many situations where this situation could apply. I recently saw an extreme example of this. My friend is training in the US Army. He posted a photo from a slideshow during training about neutralizing nuclear threats. It said that when they are trying to neutralize nuclear threats, they should do it at all costs, even if that includes civilian lives. I guess the idea is that even if a few civilians die, neutralizing a nuclear weapon may prevent an attack that would kill many more people. That is the means justifying the end.

There's a famous experiment similar to this. It's called the trolley dilemma. It goes like this:
Imagine you are standing beside some tram tracks. In the distance, you spot a runaway trolley hurtling down the tracks towards five workers who cannot hear it coming. Even if they do spot it, they won’t be able to move out of the way in time.

As this disaster looms, you glance down and see a lever connected to the tracks. You realise that if you pull the lever, the tram will be diverted down a second set of tracks away from the five unsuspecting workers.

However, down this side track is one lone worker, just as oblivious as his colleagues.

So, would you pull the lever, leading to one death but saving five?

Many people would say that they would pull the lever. Maybe I would too. Well then about about this adaptation to the dilemma?
Imagine you are standing on a footbridge above the tram tracks. You can see the runaway trolley hurtling towards the five unsuspecting workers, but there’s no lever to divert it.

However, there is large man standing next to you on the footbridge. You’re confident that his bulk would stop the tram in its tracks.

So, would you push the man on to the tracks, sacrificing him in order to stop the tram and thereby saving five others?

I think most people would probably hesitate in this case, but the outcome would be just about the same in both cases. It's an example of the end possibly justifying the means. Something worth thinking about.

Pages: « 1 [2]  All
  Print  

Jump to: