Bitcoin Forum
May 07, 2024, 02:56:13 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 2 3 [4]  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Hmm... is it time to crash BTC exchange rates yet?  (Read 8788 times)
freedomno1
Legendary

Activity: 1806
Merit: 1090

Learning the troll avoidance button :)

View Profile
June 03, 2013, 10:12:39 AM

Well miners accepted it and then it went down 10 bucks and napped here  Grin

Believing in Bitcoins and it's ability to change the world
BitcoinCleanup.com: Learn why Bitcoin isn't bad for the environment
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
KSV

Activity: 398
Merit: 250

SVERIGES VIRTUELLA VALUTAVÄXLING

View Profile WWW
June 05, 2013, 02:16:15 PM

its not hoarding, its saving . . .

Trade Bitcoins @ FYB-SE ---> https://www.fybse.se
BTConomist (OP)

Activity: 126
Merit: 100

View Profile WWW
June 05, 2013, 09:27:44 PM

Saving is done by consumers and merchants; Hoarding is done by miners (a.k.a. the central banks of bitcoin economy).

Bitcoins are earned, not traded! If you plan on hoarding BTC, you're on my target list. (And yes, it is possible to swim in BTC.)

Don't give me that Bull... I'm one of those honey eating Bears that the bees hope to never meet again... Viva la BTC!!!
trippp

Activity: 47
Merit: 0

View Profile
June 05, 2013, 09:51:48 PM

Saving is done by consumers and merchants; Hoarding is done by miners (a.k.a. the central banks of bitcoin economy).

A little jealous, are we?

"Hoarding" is a derogative term used by people who are pouting because they were late to the party.
freedomno1
Legendary

Activity: 1806
Merit: 1090

Learning the troll avoidance button :)

View Profile
June 05, 2013, 09:58:16 PM

A little jealous, are we?

"Hoarding" is a derogative term used by people who are pouting because they were late to the party.

Lol Haha made me Smiley
Was thinking more along the lines of spenders who live beyond their means who cannot understand savers

Believing in Bitcoins and it's ability to change the world
Rygon

Activity: 520
Merit: 500

View Profile
June 06, 2013, 02:09:00 PM

OP should consider giving a definition of hoarding. Personally, I like the investopedia definition:

Hoarding: "The purchase of large quantities of a commodity with the intent of pushing up the price"

Going by this definition, the current exchange rate, and market depths, I think it's easy to conclude that most forum members here lack the ability to hoard because they do not have the means to purchase enough BTC to make a dent in the price and start a speculative run. A million USD clearly won't do much, perhaps ten million, I don't know.

Anyhow, I agree that speculators have undoubtably caused unsustainable run ups in prices, most likely by buying large quantities. Clearly that was happening in 2011 when the entry price to cause a price run was low, and it's reasonable to conclude that part of the run to $266 was a result of something similar.

So, unless you are a Winklevii, I don't think you are hoarding. And even if you have that kind of cash, it's only a risk that you may dump it in the future and tank the price. But in the meanwhile, the increase in value benefits everyone in relation to their BTC holdings.

In order to avoid the consequences of a massive hoarder dumping onto the market and causing exchange volatility, there are really only three things other BTC holders can do.

1. Buy as much coin as possible and drive up the cost for a big fish to make large purchases.
2. Be prepared to sell some coin if prices are rising too rapidly, in order to further discourage an entity that is purchasing large enough quantities to really drive of the price and cause a risk.
3. Sell as soon as a hoarder starts unloading a large amount of coin, in order to decrease their profit from hoarding and then selling. Tough to do in practice though.
Abdussamad
Legendary

Activity: 3612
Merit: 1564

View Profile
June 06, 2013, 03:38:30 PM

Official definitions aside most of us ARE hoarding. We are misers like that character Silas Marner or that dude in LOTR:

jml

Activity: 238

View Profile
June 06, 2013, 09:23:31 PM

Next, the miners would get the name of The Red Shield bank... and I would be called Nathan Rothschild Smiley Mega-hoarder of the World!

"Everything is a matter of degree"
BTConomist (OP)

Activity: 126

View Profile WWW
June 06, 2013, 09:59:38 PM

Next, the miners would get the name of The Red Shield bank... and I would be called Nathan Rothschild Smiley Mega-hoarder of the World!

Not to burst your bubble or anything, but the Rothschild's built their name and fortunes by increasing the currency circulation (starting with the Napoleonic Wars), not by hoarding and trading gold (which, sure, had preceded the former). One could even say that this was the only difference between the Smeagols and the Rothschilds.

Bitcoins are earned, not traded! If you plan on hoarding BTC, you're on my target list. (And yes, it is possible to swim in BTC.)

Don't give me that Bull... I'm one of those honey eating Bears that the bees hope to never meet again... Viva la BTC!!!
jml

Activity: 238

View Profile
June 06, 2013, 11:31:49 PM

Not to burst your bubble or anything, but the Rothschild's built their name and fortunes by increasing the currency circulation (starting with the Napoleonic Wars), not by hoarding and trading gold (which, sure, had preceded the former). One could even say that this was the only difference between the Smeagols and the Rothschilds.

I am aware of the Red shield and how they got their wealth. They amassed their wealth during the Battle of Waterloo (Jacob funded the French war machine and Nathan the British war machine). They drove investors speculation cause panic in the London stock exchange, thus selling out hearing that the French won when they actually lost. When the chance came, they bought out all the London Stock shares which where worth pennies. The British people were paying their taxes which went to the Red shield private bankers hence how Nathan got more rich by controlling the output of money. That is not currency circulation as you put it, it is total and complete control of how money is produced. This is very different to how miners work who are;

1) Many in numbers
2) Distributed
3) Non organised
4) Non hierarchical

Unlike the banks are:

1) Fewer in numbers
2) Centralised
3) Organised
4) Hierarchical from a cashier to the CEO earning 650 times more than a regular person is
...and 5) Total control of the money flow with hidden taxations and thus increase inflation devaluing fiat currency by producing more debt money; i.e loans.

Miners need to pay for their equipment first by selling bitcoins to recoup losses and then "save" for future uses. Miners also DO NOT FUND WARS like Rothchild's did and make money! Also the Rothchild's family hold more wealth than the US GDP in excess of > $500 trillion. In any anti-capitalist eyes, that is hoarding!

"Everything is a matter of degree"
richard_dein

Activity: 63
Merit: 10

View Profile
June 10, 2013, 06:14:32 AM

I always had a slight lingering doubt about deflationary currencies until I thought about land.

From that, the shortest argument that came to me is this: hoarding Bitcoins is much less evil than lending real estate for rent. Since then I've been comparing what happens to land with what could happen to Bitcoin. I am more confident that Bitcoin at least doesn't take away anything from what we already have.
KSV

View Profile WWW
June 10, 2013, 10:16:21 AM

I’ll be honest, the hoarding mania has got to go if bitcoin protocol is ever to support a fully fledged BTC currency.

Hoarding actually does very good for bitcoin:
- increases price making bitcoin useful*
- the higher bitcoin price the more press is writing about bitcoin and more people are wanting to hear about it

*you cant transfer big amounts of cash using bitcoin if price is low because it causes massive price volatility at exchanges. if you would like to transfer $1.000.000 you would have to buy 1000 bitcoins and sell it three hours later while at price $1.000.000 per bitcoin you would have to buy only one btc. And imagine if more than one transaction like this would have happend at once then most people would assume its another attack on exchange or whatever.

yeap i am inclined to agree with this 1.

furthermore, i think its time we all stopped using the term hoarding, its saving.

KSV

View Profile WWW
June 10, 2013, 10:18:01 AM

I am aware of the Red shield and how they got their wealth. They amassed their wealth during the Battle of Waterloo (Jacob funded the French war machine and Nathan the British war machine). They drove investors speculation cause panic in the London stock exchange, thus selling out hearing that the French won when they actually lost. When the chance came, they bought out all the London Stock shares which where worth pennies. The British people were paying their taxes which went to the Red shield private bankers hence how Nathan got more rich by controlling the output of money. That is not currency circulation as you put it, it is total and complete control of how money is produced. This is very different to how miners work who are;

1) Many in numbers
2) Distributed
3) Non organised
4) Non hierarchical

Unlike the banks are:

1) Fewer in numbers
2) Centralised
3) Organised
4) Hierarchical from a cashier to the CEO earning 650 times more than a regular person is
...and 5) Total control of the money flow with hidden taxations and thus increase inflation devaluing fiat currency by producing more debt money; i.e loans.

Miners need to pay for their equipment first by selling bitcoins to recoup losses and then "save" for future uses. Miners also DO NOT FUND WARS like Rothchild's did and make money! Also the Rothchild's family hold more wealth than the US GDP in excess of > $500 trillion. In any anti-capitalist eyes, that is hoarding!

this is exactly the reason bitcoins are gaining traction and will continue to do so.

Pages: « 1 2 3 [4]  All
  Print  

Jump to: