Bitcoin Forum
May 07, 2024, 09:34:33 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 [2] 3 4 5 6 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: send out your women  (Read 16698 times)
Mahkul

Activity: 434
Merit: 250

Every saint has a past. Every sinner has a future.

View Profile
December 15, 2010, 11:17:04 PM

As a matter of fact my wife uses Bitcoin, even generates (or tries to) coints on her laptop. She's only getting 7000 khash/s on her built in Radeon, but it's the fact that counts.

Of course, she found out about it from me. Women usually take over man's hobbies and interests, and that is a sad fact.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Bitcoin mining is now a specialized and very risky industry, just like gold mining. Amateur miners are unlikely to make much money, and may even lose money. Bitcoin is much more than just mining, though!
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
da2ce7
Legendary

Activity: 1222
Merit: 1016

Live and Let Live

View Profile
December 15, 2010, 11:39:55 PM

As a matter of fact my wife uses Bitcoin, even generates (or tries to) coints on her laptop. She's only getting 7000 khash/s on her built in Radeon, but it's the fact that counts.

Of course, she found out about it from me. Women usually take over man's hobbies and interests, and that is a sad fact.

Maybe you could get her to go out and buy a couple of 5970's Tongue they are still profitable.

One off NP-Hard.
Mahkul

Activity: 434

Every saint has a past. Every sinner has a future.

View Profile
December 15, 2010, 11:43:31 PM

Maybe you could get her to go out and buy a couple of 5970's Tongue they are still profitable.

I recently got two 5850's and she wasn't too happy about it. Cheesy However, when she saw 300,000Mhash/s (after over-clocking) on each, she calmed down a little. Wink
jeriellsworth

Activity: 1
Merit: 0

View Profile
December 22, 2010, 12:09:42 AM

Someone sent me a pointer to this thread today.  The majority of this thread is disparaging toward women, so its not a big surprise to me that your ratio of men to women is very low.

-Jer
scorched.chips@gmail.com
genjix
Legendary

Activity: 1232
Merit: 1076

View Profile
December 22, 2010, 12:41:21 AM

there are usually a lot of women in places but they just don't draw attention to themselves/let people know.
kiba
Legendary

Activity: 980
Merit: 1014

View Profile
December 22, 2010, 12:48:59 AM

Someone sent me a pointer to this thread today.  The majority of this thread is disparaging toward women, so its not a big surprise to me that your ratio of men to women is very low.

-Jer
scorched.chips@gmail.com

THE Jeriel Ellsworth?

mizerydearia

Activity: 574
Merit: 507

View Profile
December 22, 2010, 01:04:31 AM

Someone sent me a pointer to this thread today.  The majority of this thread is disparaging toward women, so its not a big surprise to me that your ratio of men to women is very low.

-Jer
scorched.chips@gmail.com

THE Jeriel Ellsworth?

Is it so surprising?   You referenced her name in a not so exciting thread.  I doubt she will return unless you are able to associate more interesting or positive keywords around her name to reflect her and other women in better light as well as spark more interesting and productive debates.  Hint: think of the search results
kiba
Legendary

Activity: 980
Merit: 1014

View Profile
December 22, 2010, 01:06:52 AM

I don't know why I mentioned her. I guess I just misunderstood the thread.

bober182

Activity: 308
Merit: 100

View Profile
December 22, 2010, 01:22:50 AM

TITS or GTFO

jib

Activity: 92
Merit: 10

View Profile
December 22, 2010, 01:27:40 AM

TITS or GTFO

GTFO.
davout
Legendary

Activity: 1372
Merit: 1007

1davout

View Profile WWW
December 22, 2010, 01:30:44 AM

TITS or GTFO

http://tinyurl.com/2bkyorr

JohnDoe

Activity: 392

View Profile
December 22, 2010, 01:31:39 AM

Today we learned yet another flaw in women: they can't take a joke.
davout
Legendary

Activity: 1372
Merit: 1007

1davout

View Profile WWW
December 22, 2010, 01:32:54 AM

Today we learned yet another flaw in women: they can't take a joke.

You must be young if you only learnt that today Smiley

jib

Activity: 92
Merit: 10

View Profile
December 22, 2010, 01:34:54 AM

It was a joke at the start (although not a good one) when it was "lol, women are too busy shopping and grooming to care about bitcoin". Now it's just pointless.
wumpus

Activity: 812
Merit: 1022

No Maps for These Territories

View Profile
December 22, 2010, 01:33:05 PM

-Jer
scorched.chips@gmail.com
Doesn't make sense:

1) The ratio of men to women was already like this far before this thread was started, so it cannot be the cause

2) Discounting a far-reaching concept such as bitcoin because a few users are "jerks" to you is pretty nonsensical, I mean, if I suffered from that kind of guilt by association I wouldn't use dollars or euros anymore, either Tongue

3) Women hang out in a lot of places where "disparaging" comments are made about them, yet they don't seem to care

Bitcoin Core developer [PGP] Warning: For most, coin loss is a larger risk than coin theft. A disk can die any time. Regularly back up your wallet through FileBackup Wallet to an external storage or the (encrypted!) cloud. Use a separate offline wallet for storing larger amounts.
davux

Activity: 288
Merit: 263

Firstbits.com/1davux

View Profile WWW
December 22, 2010, 06:53:38 PM

1) The ratio of men to women was already like this far before this thread was started, so it cannot be the cause

How do you know what the ratio was before, and what it is now? And you shouldn't try to take a mathematical interpretation of what Jer said: the point is obviously that sexist behaviour makes people run away.

2) Discounting a far-reaching concept such as bitcoin because a few users are "jerks" to you is pretty nonsensical, I mean, if I suffered from that kind of guilt by association I wouldn't use dollars or euros anymore, either Tongue

Agreed. However, it's not a binary thing: there being more jerks has a repulsive effect. Moreover, if financial communities, forums etc. have a lot of sexist jokes like this one had so far, I'm pretty sure those make women (and men) run away too.

3) Women hang out in a lot of places where "disparaging" comments are made about them, yet they don't seem to care

Says who? At the contrary, I often saw people complaining about sexist behaviour on the internet and more precisely in technical/geek communities.

I don't understand why you're trying to defend yourself anyway. Jer has a point, and it's so obvious that we should just be ashamed and switch silently to more intelligent things to say, if we come up with any, on the matter of Bitcoin and gender. This topic could be interesting, but let's don't fall in the trap of being rude or otherwise use stereotypes, even though they're intended as jokes.

1DavuxH9tLqU4c7zvG387aTG4mA7BcRpp2
México (Oaxaca) – France - Leeds
grondilu
Legendary

Activity: 1288
Merit: 1076

View Profile
December 22, 2010, 07:04:39 PM
Last edit: December 22, 2010, 07:19:42 PM by grondilu

Come on guys, why can't you just admit that women are less interested in this kind of stuffs ?  To me it's not sexism, it is just realism.

Women have a lower tendancy to be interested in pretty much anything.  Whether it is art, sport, games, science, whatever...  Almost all cultural movements have been initiated by men.

I see two ways the sex ratio on this forum could reach 1:1 :

1.  some people on this forum will create fake female members just in order to defeat what I've just written ;
2.  bitcoin would have gone mainstream ;

hugolp
Legendary

Activity: 1148
Merit: 1001

Radix-The Decentralized Finance Protocol

View Profile
December 22, 2010, 07:28:18 PM

-Jer
scorched.chips@gmail.com

THE Jeriel Ellsworth?

If you really are, I just checked your blog and added it to my blogroll. Looks interesting.

▄████████▄
               ██▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀
              ██▀
             ███
▄▄▄▄▄       ███
██████     ███
    ▀██▄  ▄██
     ▀██▄▄██▀
       ████▀
        ▀█▀
The Radix DeFi Protocol is
R A D I X

███████████████████████████████████

The Decentralized

Finance Protocol
Scalable
▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄
██▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀██
██                   ██
██                   ██
████████████████     ██
██            ██     ██
██            ██     ██
██▄▄▄▄▄▄      ██     ██
██▀▀▀▀██      ██     ██
██    ██      ██     
██    ██      ██
███████████████████████

███
Secure
      ▄▄▄▄▄
    █████████
   ██▀     ▀██
  ███       ███

▄▄███▄▄▄▄▄▄▄███▄▄
██▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀██
██             ██
██             ██
██             ██
██             ██
██             ██
██    ███████████

███
Community Driven
      ▄█   ▄▄
      ██ ██████▄▄
      ▀▀▄█▀   ▀▀██▄
     ▄▄ ██       ▀███▄▄██
    ██ ██▀          ▀▀██▀
    ██ ██▄            ██
   ██ ██████▄▄       ██▀
  ▄██       ▀██▄     ██
  ██▀         ▀███▄▄██▀
 ▄██             ▀▀▀▀
 ██▀
▄██
▄▄
██
███▄
▀███▄
 ▀███▄
  ▀████
    ████
     ████▄
      ▀███▄
       ▀███▄
        ▀████
          ███
           ██
           ▀▀

███
Radix is using our significant technology
innovations to be the first layer 1 protocol
specifically built to serve the rapidly growing DeFi.
Radix is the future of DeFi
█████████████████████████████████████

▄▄█████
  ▄████▀▀▀
  █████
█████████▀
▀▀█████▀▀
  ████
  ████
  ████

Facebook

███

▄▄
       ▄▄▄█████
  ▄▄▄███▀▀▄███
▀▀███▀ ▄██████
    █ ███████
     ██▀▀▀███
           ▀▀

Telegram

███

▄      ▄███▄▄
██▄▄▄ ██████▀
████████████
 ██████████▀
   ███████▀
 ▄█████▀▀

Twitter

██████

...Get Tokens...
S3052
Legendary

Activity: 2100
Merit: 1000

View Profile
December 22, 2010, 07:38:24 PM

Come on guys, why can't you just admit that women are less interested in this kind of stuffs ?  To me it's not sexism, it is just realism.

Women have a lower tendancy to be interested in pretty much anything.  Whether it is art, sport, games, science, whatever...  Almost all cultural movements have been initiated by men.

I see two ways the sex ratio on this forum could reach 1:1 :

1.  some people on this forum will create fake female members just in order to defeat what I've just written ;
2.  bitcoin would have gone mainstream ;

or...
we establish a killer app where women can buy the best and most expensive SHOES with bitcoins

Bimmerhead (OP)
Legendary

Activity: 1291
Merit: 1000

View Profile
December 22, 2010, 08:18:57 PM

Before I started this topic I realized that there would be gender disparity on a forum like this.  That isn't a surprising or thread-worthy topic.  I started this topic because it seemed there were ZERO women active on this forum which is really something incredible.

Yes, I realize the forum software says we have a gender ratio of something like 4.7:1.0, but I believe that is because of all the spam accounts that have been created as 'female'. 

Likewise, based on this map http://maps.google.com/maps?q=https://smsz.net/btcStats/bitcoin.kml the project is dominated by North Americans and Europeans.  Not surprising given that the project is generally discussed in English.  But how about the 90 million English-speakers in India?  Two clients in the whole country?

Pages: « 1 [2] 3 4 5 6 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: