Bitcoin Forum
April 25, 2024, 12:34:00 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 2 [3] 4 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Adblock Plus censoring posts  (Read 5859 times)
🏰 TradeFortress 🏰
Bitcoin Veteran
VIP
Legendary

Activity: 1316
Merit: 1043

👻

View Profile
May 27, 2013, 09:59:35 PM

And what if the JS becomes blocked?

ABP can't block inline JS.
A lot of AB users also tend to use NoScript.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
pekv2

Activity: 770
Merit: 502

View Profile
May 27, 2013, 10:43:36 PM

Update on easylist. Links inside post should no longer be censored. There might be many more updates. If those ads are still css inlined.

https://hg.adblockplus.org/easylist/rev/76b3a40d78a1
Kao

Activity: 46
Merit: 0

View Profile
May 28, 2013, 08:11:48 AM

Someone mentioned before that css hiding (such as through the CSS element ABP extension) could be used to remove the bottom advertisement. Unfortunately only the title of the company is within that element, to hide the whole advertisement you have to hide an unnamed element with much wider parameters. I know that the people have little incentive to name the element, and thus make hiding the advertisement easier but I felt it should be noted in case that starts causing problems for people.
Terk

Activity: 616
Merit: 522

View Profile
May 28, 2013, 08:34:18 AM

Someone mentioned before that css hiding (such as through the CSS element ABP extension) could be used to remove the bottom advertisement. Unfortunately only the title of the company is within that element, to hide the whole advertisement you have to hide an unnamed element with much wider parameters. I know that the people have little incentive to name the element, and thus make hiding the advertisement easier but I felt it should be noted in case that starts causing problems for people.

While it's not possible to hide it by id, you can hack it using adjacent sibling selector. Keep in mind that you risk hiding something different if the HTML code changes one day.

Code:
#bodyarea + div { display: none }

Not sure why would you even like to block this thing.

Raoul Duke
aka psy
Legendary

Activity: 1358
Merit: 1002

View Profile
May 28, 2013, 10:06:34 AM

You guys should use the blackbox forum theme. It works better than ABP at hiding the ads. Roll Eyes

morons...
bitcats
Legendary

Activity: 1014
Merit: 1001

View Profile
May 28, 2013, 10:22:06 AM

A lot of AB users also tend to use NoScript.
Yes, AB + Noscript is better than Ghostery (they collect your data).

"Unser Problem ist nicht ziviler Ungehorsam, unser Problem ist ziviler Gehorsam."  - Howard Zinn
pekv2

View Profile
May 28, 2013, 01:40:03 PM

While it's not possible to hide it by id, you can hack it using adjacent sibling selector. Keep in mind that you risk hiding something different if the HTML code changes one day.

Code:
#bodyarea + div { display: none }

Not sure why would you even like to block this thing.

Code:
bitcointalk.org##DIV[style="text-align:center"]

I had it hidden because, easylist was hiding the links to it, and it was annoying just seeing
Code:
Sponsored by , a Bitcoin-accepting .

But this here is very acceptable after easylist was updated, as they are providing hosting for the forum, and isn't intrusive. I just pointed it out to theymos, as I guess it is JS inlined, and I was able to still block it with the above code, meaning, the ads might be able to be still blocked with ABP with noscript disabled here, if not read below.

How ever much theymos has got done with injecting JS inline ads, I think I will be learning how to write surrogates for noscript, not to sure about that though, learning to write it. http://hackademix.net/2011/09/29/script-surrogates-quick-reference/ then with a surrogate, java will be allowed and js inlined ads can be blocked with the correct surrogate and/or with the correct greasemonky script.
kodo

Activity: 42
Merit: 0

View Profile
May 29, 2013, 04:38:09 AM

Thanks Theymos I was using Adblock on another computer and noticed the problem.
whiskers75

Activity: 658

Doesn't use these forums that often.

View Profile
May 30, 2013, 06:22:00 PM

Wow. This is amazing.

(Off topic: theymos, instead of putting (Forum warning: possible phishing link) near links, rather put (leads to (actual site here)))

Elastic.pw Elastic - The Decentralized Supercomputer
ELASTIC ANNOUNCEMENT THREAD | ELASTIC SLACK | ELASTIC FORUM
whiskers75

View Profile
May 31, 2013, 04:09:11 PM

I'm on Chrome, and the bug is still present using AdBlock Plus (which is now turned off).

theymos (OP)
Administrator
Legendary

Activity: 5180
Merit: 12884

View Profile
May 31, 2013, 04:15:39 PM

I'm on Chrome, and the bug is still present using AdBlock Plus (which is now turned off).

What bug? Blocked links? Which links are blocked?

1NXYoJ5xU91Jp83XfVMHwwTUyZFK64BoAD
pekv2

View Profile
May 31, 2013, 04:18:06 PM

I do wish people would explain when making posts like this. It's very irritating, having to ask, what they are talking about. Most time, they just get iggied, in my mind they are trolling.
whiskers75

View Profile
May 31, 2013, 06:08:56 PM

I do wish people would explain when making posts like this. It's very irritating, having to ask, what they are talking about. Most time, they just get iggied, in my mind they are trolling.
I'm sorry. Sad The links are still blocked - the first 2 in your original post's quoted posts

whiskers75

View Profile
May 31, 2013, 06:10:24 PM

Sorry, fixed in the latest EasyList. Smiley

HeroC
Legendary

Activity: 858
Merit: 1000

View Profile
May 31, 2013, 07:04:48 PM

Now they are just blocking this:

Code:
bitcointalk.org##td[style="padding: 1px 1px 0 1px;"] > .bfl
bitcointalk.org##td[style="padding: 1px 1px 0 1px;"] > .bvc
bitcointalk.org##td[style="padding: 1px 1px 0 1px;"] > a[style*="font-size: 16px;"]
bitcointalk.org##td[style="padding: 1px 1px 0 1px;"] > a[style*="font-size:15px;"]
bitcointalk.org##td[style="padding: 1px 1px 0 1px;"] > b + b + a[href^="https://bips.me/landing/"]
bitcointalk.org##td[style="padding: 1px 1px 0 1px;"] > b + span[style*="font-size: 18px;"]

To disable:
Right click and do 'Disable on bitcointalk.org'

Didn't work? Do this:

Code:
1. Right click on the ABP logo.
2. Click 'Filter Preferences'
3. Click 'Custom Filters'
4. Right click and choose 'Show/Hide Filters'
5. Click Exception Rules and click 'Add filter'
6. Paste: @@||bitcointalk.org^$document
7. Save, and you are done!
pekv2

View Profile
May 31, 2013, 07:51:49 PM

Code:
bitcointalk.org##td[style="padding: 1px 1px 0 1px;"] > a[style*="font-size: 16px;"]
bitcointalk.org##td[style="padding: 1px 1px 0 1px;"] > a[style*="font-size:15px;"]
bitcointalk.org##td[style="padding: 1px 1px 0 1px;"] > b + b + a[href^="https://bips.me/landing/"]
bitcointalk.org##td[style="padding: 1px 1px 0 1px;"] > b + span[style*="font-size: 18px;"]

This above, fixes from censoring links in posts. Which was the point of this thread.

Update on easylist. Links inside post should no longer be censored. There might be many more updates. If those ads are still css inlined.

https://hg.adblockplus.org/easylist/rev/76b3a40d78a1
MysteryMiner
Legendary

Activity: 1470
Merit: 1029

Show middle finger to system and then destroy it!

View Profile
June 06, 2013, 11:02:16 PM

I used Adblock Lite with Fanboy's list and Adblock Edge with EasyList and never seen any problems. On top of that was Adblock Plus popup blocking add-on. And the ads were blocked for me Smiley

If people intentionally install Adblock they don't want to see that advertising crap. Anti-Adblock technology is almost as wrong as DRM or remote killswitch for software.

bc1q59y5jp2rrwgxuekc8kjk6s8k2es73uawprre4j
pekv2

View Profile
June 07, 2013, 12:08:45 AM

@MM
These updates were occurring daily/hourly, so, if you update only by weekly, you might have missed what the problem was. I think you might be getting this thread wrong, yes, ads were being blocked, new method came out anti-blocking easylists, resulted in new updates explained below V

It was a huge mess. Prior, easylists technique of blocking the ads was also blocking the links in posts = to censorship. The problem was fixed a while ago.
Kris
Donator

Activity: 640
Merit: 500

View Profile
June 20, 2013, 11:26:42 AM

Code:

To disable:
Right click and do 'Disable on bitcointalk.org'

Didn't work? Do this:

Code:
1. Right click on the ABP logo.
2. Click 'Filter Preferences'
3. Click 'Custom Filters'
4. Right click and choose 'Show/Hide Filters'
5. Click Exception Rules and click 'Add filter'
6. Paste: @@||bitcointalk.org^$document
7. Save, and you are done!

Why would it block https://bips.me/landing/ ?

Very shady.
Jaxkr

Activity: 420
Merit: 250

View Profile
June 23, 2013, 05:19:21 PM

Do the advertisers pay premium for the anti-ABP code?
Actually, ABP charges money to unblock ads. You have to be considered non intrusive AND pay em.
This is why you should use Adblock without a plus. They're not corrupt.
Pages: « 1 2 [3] 4 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: