Bitcoin Forum
May 22, 2024, 01:52:45 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1] 2 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: 100Mbps or 1Gbps ethernet router  (Read 1066 times)
NDioWealthAmp (OP)

Activity: 34
Merit: 0

View Profile
September 12, 2017, 10:10:57 AM

Hi, I have little idea how much internet bandwidth a mining rig requires. Does it vary greatly between a 6 GPU or 13 GPU rig ?

For 12 rigs in front of a 16 port Switch, is a 100Mbps Switch fine or should you go for 1Gbps ?
Mattthev

Activity: 966
Merit: 359

👉MINING-BIOS.eu💲⛏

View Profile WWW
September 12, 2017, 10:19:20 AM

Hi, I have little idea how much internet bandwidth a mining rig requires. Does it vary greatly between a 6 GPU or 13 GPU rig ?

For 12 rigs in front of a 16 port Switch, is a 100Mbps Switch fine or should you go for 1Gbps ?
Gigabit all the time. Fast ethernet is really old. All those routers, switches and hubs with Fast ethernet will use old and slow chips. You need best ping possible.

Mining Bios with Performance Timings 👍 Mining-Bios.euPBE 1.7PBE 3 PRO👌⛏│AFFILIATE system 10% ref 💰💲BTC│👉 XMR-AEON-STAK 🔝⛏ Monero V9 (CNv4) ✅│XMRig AMD🔝⛏ CNv4 ✅
FIAT from BINANCE to REVOLUT 💳│🚀Upcoming/Active ICO list📈🤑│👉Free Bitcoin BTC Faucet💰💲│Guides:RX 470/480/570/580, VEGA Bios Mod Tutorial - SRB, PBE 💰💲│PBE.eu
CRYPTO to FIAT BTC💲💳│ How to Mine XMR/RYO and CN coins + Miners Downloads💰⛏│Guides:How to Mine AEON💰⛏
monerobiosedit@gmail.com│✅Did I help you? Give me some +Merit 🤜🤛👌
Greeny

Activity: 16

View Profile
September 12, 2017, 10:25:24 AM

Gigabit all the time. Fast ethernet is really old. All those routers, switches and hubs with Fast ethernet will use old and slow chips. You need best ping possible.

Total crap. Transaction times and bandwidth are not related like that. 100mbps will do perfectly fine for mining. You will have spare bandwidth for Remote Desktop etc.
Metroid

Activity: 2142
Merit: 353

Xtreme Monster

View Profile
September 12, 2017, 10:30:24 AM

lol, even 256kbps will do amazing for mining. You people are slaves of the unknown hehe, better you noobs research before actually do anything but i know in the end you trolls will never listen or test anything, you will just go with your own wrongness all over and over again hehe

BTC Address: 1DH4ok85VdFAe47fSVXNVctxkFhUv4ujbR
leowonderful
Legendary

Activity: 1624
Merit: 1129

Bitcoin FTW!

View Profile
September 12, 2017, 10:34:57 AM

It's not about how fast your internet is but the consistency is what it's about. WiFi is okay for mining, and even dial up works juet fine. Ethernet provides better ping but that's not really important in the grand scheme of things. Just make sure you connect your miners in a way such that they can't easily disconnect or have a bad connection.
mokrejbandita

Activity: 24

View Profile
September 12, 2017, 10:37:21 AM

I think you will be ok with 100Mbps. All whats matter a bit is latence of internet connection. I was using free mobile internet connection with speed 16/16kbps and had no problem (as far as the ping was under 150).
Mattthev

👉MINING-BIOS.eu💲⛏

View Profile WWW
September 12, 2017, 11:03:25 AM

Open your routers with fast ethernet and look at the chipset. I would say it can't support 12 rigs with 13 GPUs and same with old crap switch with good ping. I had 4 rigs connected to old TL-WR741ND V4 I think it was. Ping was two times higher than with TL-WR1043ND and few devices on WIFI and the old TP-link was almost dying.
OP doesn't ask about internet connection speed...
Price differences between routers and switches with fast and gigabit ethernet are minimum... Gigabit for future use is clear choice.

Mining Bios with Performance Timings 👍 Mining-Bios.euPBE 1.7PBE 3 PRO👌⛏│AFFILIATE system 10% ref 💰💲BTC│👉 XMR-AEON-STAK 🔝⛏ Monero V9 (CNv4) ✅│XMRig AMD🔝⛏ CNv4 ✅
FIAT from BINANCE to REVOLUT 💳│🚀Upcoming/Active ICO list📈🤑│👉Free Bitcoin BTC Faucet💰💲│Guides:RX 470/480/570/580, VEGA Bios Mod Tutorial - SRB, PBE 💰💲│PBE.eu
CRYPTO to FIAT BTC💲💳│ How to Mine XMR/RYO and CN coins + Miners Downloads💰⛏│Guides:How to Mine AEON💰⛏
koody

Activity: 114
Merit: 20

View Profile
September 12, 2017, 11:03:50 AM

Here i use 2mb download / 500kb upload for 80 gpus and no problem, so, i think 100mbps is more than enough.
cashen

Activity: 434
Merit: 251

View Profile
September 12, 2017, 11:17:10 AM

whats the price difference?
carlisle1

Activity: 2744
Merit: 541

Campaign Management?"Hhampuz" is the Man

View Profile
September 12, 2017, 11:17:47 AM

not really an expert here mate but according to what I've read regarding with mining it does not require faster transfer as the pool will do that for
us the share will be according to what our device can produce we just need stable connection for the pool to receive our share hash, but don't rely
on me mate it was just what I understand maybe an expert can correct me so we both will be guided.
NobodyIsHome

Activity: 74
Merit: 1

View Profile
September 12, 2017, 12:32:00 PM

Your Internet connection will likely be slower than your switch.  I'm using gigabit switches since all my rigs are diskless and need to talk to the file server for the OS.
Ivan Stepin

Activity: 5

View Profile
September 12, 2017, 03:13:16 PM

The 100MBpS router is sufficient for mining. It would be enough dial-up modem.
fanatic26

Activity: 756
Merit: 560

View Profile
September 12, 2017, 03:27:57 PM

Open your routers with fast ethernet and look at the chipset. I would say it can't support 12 rigs with 13 GPUs and same with old crap switch with good ping. I had 4 rigs connected to old TL-WR741ND V4 I think it was. Ping was two times higher than with TL-WR1043ND and few devices on WIFI and the old TP-link was almost dying.
OP doesn't ask about internet connection speed...
Price differences between routers and switches with fast and gigabit ethernet are minimum... Gigabit for future use is clear choice.

Dont blame the protocol because you had some junk wifi router. You have no idea what you are talking about with networking, please dont spread falsehoods.

Stop buying industrial miners, running them at home, and then complaining about the noise.
QuintLeo
Legendary

Activity: 1498
Merit: 1030

View Profile
September 12, 2017, 08:00:50 PM

10 MEGAbit is plenty to handle tons of rigs - latency isn't a significant issue at ETHERNET SWITCHING speeds, your latency via the Internet to the pool is going to be thousands of times higher, and the bandwidth usage is SMALL.

Avoid wifi - it's NOT nearly as reliable as a good Ethernet wired connection.

With that said, Gigabit is cheap enough any more there's no point in going with less and it's got a lot more room for future expansion - unless you get the 100 Megabit gear DIRT cheap and it's good stuff like 3Com, Cisco, or Netgear "Blue Box" professional gear.

I'm no longer legendary just in my own mind!
Like something I said? Donations gratefully accepted. LYLnTKvLefz9izJFUvEGQEZzSkz34b3N6U (Litecoin)
1GYbjMTPdCuV7dci3iCUiaRrcNuaiQrVYY (Bitcoin)
antantti
Legendary

Activity: 1176
Merit: 1015

View Profile
September 12, 2017, 08:27:19 PM

Do they still sell 100Mbps routers?

If you are running local network behind that router your rig to rig speeds are router limited, 1Gbps network is disk speed limited with hdd and router limited with sdd.

For mining only, sure, 100Mbps goes but where are the savings?

Ambros

Activity: 653
Merit: 500

View Profile
September 12, 2017, 08:35:25 PM

As everyone told you internet speed connection does not really matter.
Despite this I would buy the gigabit one because usually the price different is very small and it's newer hardware that will not betray you during night and make you lose profits
Mattthev

👉MINING-BIOS.eu💲⛏

View Profile WWW
September 12, 2017, 08:43:09 PM

Dont blame the protocol because you had some junk wifi router. You have no idea what you are talking about with networking, please dont spread falsehoods.
Yes, it was weak router, but same is with fast ethernet, why use this old stuff? As I said at first gigabit all the time, it's cheap and powerful even for future use.

Metroid

Activity: 2142
Merit: 353

Xtreme Monster

View Profile
September 12, 2017, 09:53:02 PM

10 MEGAbit is plenty to handle tons of rigs - latency isn't a significant issue at ETHERNET SWITCHING speeds, your latency via the Internet to the pool is going to be thousands of times higher, and the bandwidth usage is SMALL.

Avoid wifi - it's NOT nearly as reliable as a good Ethernet wired connection.

This post should be on any guide.

BTC Address: 1DH4ok85VdFAe47fSVXNVctxkFhUv4ujbR
QuintLeo
Legendary

Activity: 1498
Merit: 1030

View Profile
September 13, 2017, 07:40:27 PM

Do they still sell 100Mbps routers?

As of the last time I walked into an Office Depot (last year), yes.

I'm not sure how much longer that will last, but might be longer than many folks think - 100 MBPS is plenty for most business usage, a LOT of companies are wired for Cat 5 (which does NOT support Gigabit for anything other than very SHORT runs), and they just don't have incentive to "upgrade" when their wiring would take tons of money to upgrade.

The savings are in places that have installed base to deal with - most small miners have little IF ANY incentive to worry about "installed base of gear and wiring".

I'm no longer legendary just in my own mind!
Like something I said? Donations gratefully accepted. LYLnTKvLefz9izJFUvEGQEZzSkz34b3N6U (Litecoin)
1GYbjMTPdCuV7dci3iCUiaRrcNuaiQrVYY (Bitcoin)
leowonderful
Legendary

Activity: 1624
Merit: 1129

Bitcoin FTW!

View Profile
September 13, 2017, 07:42:12 PM

There's plenty of cheap sub-10 or 15 dollar new routers that are 300mbps (or so they claim, Chinese router quality can differ a lot). I used to have one and it worked well but range was a big issue. Lots of people don't even have internet speeds that fast either way though. It'll be a while until AC WiFi is actually needed as a base.
Pages: [1] 2 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: