Bitcoin Forum
May 07, 2024, 08:57:49 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 [2] 3 4 5 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Is This Forum Degenerating?  (Read 3758 times)
Gabi
Legendary

Activity: 1148
Merit: 1008

If you want to walk on water, get out of the boat

View Profile
May 27, 2013, 03:53:21 PM

True that.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
nameface (OP)

Activity: 406
Merit: 250

View Profile
May 27, 2013, 07:13:15 PM

I noticed that there are TONS of sockpuppets. Everytime a new "altcoin" (yeah well more like "scamcoin") then suddenly tons of new users start speaking about it, of course all newbies/jr members. And this happens for every new altcoin. Or other scam.

It also happens to Ripple threads that decry it as a scam. "I agree! RIPLE MUST BE A SCAM" -User with 1 post who created an account 2 seconds earlier

I can't figure out how all of these utter newbs have Ripple pegged as a scam, while I've been reading about it for weeks and I just end up liking it Roll Eyes Maybe I'm part of the degeneration without even realizing it.
Matthew N. Wright
Untrustworthy

Activity: 588
Merit: 500

Hero VIP ultra official trusted super staff puppet

View Profile
May 27, 2013, 07:38:17 PM

I noticed that there are TONS of sockpuppets. Everytime a new "altcoin" (yeah well more like "scamcoin") then suddenly tons of new users start speaking about it, of course all newbies/jr members. And this happens for every new altcoin. Or other scam.

It also happens to Ripple threads that decry it as a scam. "I agree! RIPLE MUST BE A SCAM" -User with 1 post who created an account 2 seconds earlier

I can't figure out how all of these utter newbs have Ripple pegged as a scam, while I've been reading about it for weeks and I just end up liking it Roll Eyes Maybe I'm part of the degeneration without even realizing it.
Well, it falls into the cultism of bitcoin to be honest. Anything that isn't bitcoin-like should be killed with fire according to them, and I admit, anything that requires trust seems like a step *backward*, except that our current system requires IMMENSE trust (MtGox, AurumXChange, both whom steal funds from their users under the guise of AML, BitStamp, BTC-E, etc etc etc).

They *think* their cryptocurrency is trust-less, yet they get hacked all the time and lose their wallets (because they needed to trust someone with their password and that someone, whether it be the third party or their own computer, was hacked). There is no world without trust. It's fine to consider Bitcoin the end-all like gold, but when choosing to trust either Ripple/OpenTransactions+BitMessage vs an exchange run by a dude, which one is better? Is either one a "scam" just because it isn't "provably fair" at the moment?

The general arguments against using Ripple are fine if all you want is a reason not to use it, but there is no reason to "destroy it", and that's when you know someone is playing games and has an agenda-- when they are actively trying to destroy something or someone that isn't causing any harm. This forum HAS degenerated, because the administrator himself supports such games (supports ponzi schemes, added TradeFortress to his trust list, refuses to give a scammer tag to BFL, has millions of dollars in bitcoins for forum upgrades that haven't even begun to happen in 12 months, continues to pile in the money from advertisements he knows are libelous against companies/people, etc).

The user below this post thinks he's doing the world a favor by trying to insult me I guess, but this kind of insult is baseless, tactless, and only serves to show you the vapid lack of quality in communication here. You can make fun of some newbie's English all day long, or tell them they should RTFM, but the real problem here is people like Inaba who spend their efforts arguing with BFL customers that they're doing a good job when any honest person could prove otherwise.

Wanna know who is causing the degeneration? Look for the people who don't admit their mistakes.

cryptoanarchist
Legendary

Activity: 1120
Merit: 1003

View Profile
May 27, 2013, 07:39:10 PM

Its been degenerating since this ass-monkey ^^^ joined.

Ripple is some bullshit.

I'm grumpy!!
Akka
Legendary

Activity: 1232
Merit: 1001

View Profile
May 27, 2013, 07:43:48 PM

Let's not turn this into anther ripple discussion. By know this stuff is everywhere, there are already enough threads going on about that. Post there if you want to discuss Ripple.

It really gets annoying.

All previous versions of currency will no longer be supported as of this update
nameface (OP)

View Profile
May 27, 2013, 07:50:16 PM

Let's not turn this into anther ripple discussion. By know this stuff is everywhere, there are already enough threads going on about that. Post there if you want to discuss Ripple.

It really gets annoying.
+1 Ripple is becoming part of the degeneration of this forum.
Lethn
Legendary

Activity: 1540
Merit: 1000

View Profile WWW
May 27, 2013, 08:20:43 PM

Before it was ASICs that was the end of everything, I'd say this is just evolution at work Tongue
Tywill

Activity: 14
Merit: 0

View Profile WWW
May 28, 2013, 02:00:43 AM

the whole forum structure lends itself to its own demise.  It encourages people who have absolutely nothing to say to spew random off the cuff nonsense.
nameface (OP)

View Profile
May 28, 2013, 02:29:09 AM

the whole forum structure lends itself to its own demise.  It encourages people who have absolutely nothing to say to spew random off the cuff nonsense.
You make a good point. I suppose people spew the ROTCN because they want higher post counts (or perhaps they just happen to be the perfect combination of stupid and bored).

Maybe a rating system something like Google's +1 scheme would work well in a forum like this. It would punish people who post a lot while contributing little, because they would have a poor +1 to post count ratio.
Xian01
Legendary

Activity: 1652
Merit: 1067

Christian Antkow

View Profile
May 28, 2013, 04:55:26 AM

Civilization is degenerating
freedomno1
Legendary

Activity: 1806
Merit: 1090

Learning the troll avoidance button :)

View Profile
May 28, 2013, 04:59:12 AM

Well the ratio's are rising in members too so of every 100 getting 40 good ones 60 others some days and 80 good ones 20 others on other days maybe it degenerates from this theoretical average of quality Smiley

Sensibilities are becoming over-sensitive

Believing in Bitcoins and it's ability to change the world
nameface (OP)

View Profile
May 28, 2013, 05:01:16 AM

Sensibilities are becoming over-sensitive

Degenerates are becoming overly civilized
freedomno1
Legendary

Activity: 1806
Merit: 1090

Learning the troll avoidance button :)

View Profile
May 28, 2013, 08:25:54 AM

Agreed  Grin

Believing in Bitcoins and it's ability to change the world
FCTaiChi

Activity: 308

decentralizedhashing.com

View Profile WWW
May 28, 2013, 09:11:54 PM

If you look at the post count per month the last few have seen incredible growth.. as it has been mentioned the influx of new people will cause changes.
This cycle will keep happening until BTC is mainstream.  Still have a kind of early adopter community effect going at the moment, but that is slowly wearing thin as people with less ideological interest join.

Mining Equipment Comparison Table                               Bitcoin News                             1nKAizrhGzvLfWBVfX8fGLAs6kxKV7aXM
Akka
Legendary

View Profile
May 28, 2013, 09:25:08 PM

If you look at the post count per month the last few have seen incredible growth.. as it has been mentioned the influx of new people will cause changes.
This cycle will keep happening until BTC is mainstream.  Still have a kind of early adopter community effect going at the moment, but that is slowly wearing thin as people with less ideological interest join.

Currently the main interests of this forum are very disappointing (at least to me).

Seeing a thread like this https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=212472.0 (randomly picked, there are plenty where this is true)

getting buried immediately, not even some questions about what they actually do, while the "Coin of the day" gets to 40+ pages.

Maybe this is really slowly becoming the wrong place for actual bitcoin discussion & news  Undecided

bitcoinator

Activity: 164
Merit: 100

View Profile
May 29, 2013, 12:25:36 AM

Even though a 5-post requirement encourages meaningless posts, my personal experience shows that this forum is a moderated one. So there is some kind of order here Smiley
dwdoc
Legendary

Activity: 966

- - -Caveat Aleo- - -

View Profile
June 11, 2013, 05:52:58 PM

If I'm having a bad day can I "Ignore" myself?
Akka
Legendary

View Profile
June 11, 2013, 05:59:39 PM

Sorry that's not possible. Would it make you feel better if I ignore you?

malevolent
can into space
Legendary

Activity: 3472
Merit: 1721

View Profile
June 11, 2013, 06:02:48 PM

Only if you used a different account for that.

Signature space available for rent.
dwdoc
Legendary

Activity: 966

- - -Caveat Aleo- - -

View Profile
June 11, 2013, 06:04:00 PM

Sorry that's not possible. Would it make you feel better if I ignore you?

I'm sorry, did you say something?
Pages: « 1 [2] 3 4 5 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: