Bitcoin Forum
May 04, 2024, 03:01:25 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 2 3 [4] 5 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Is This Forum Degenerating?  (Read 3757 times)
spike420211

Activity: 1610
Merit: 372

View Profile
June 14, 2013, 01:31:25 AM

As a participant @ Seals... degeneracy iz a g00t thang. Grin
"There should not be any signed int. If you've found a signed int somewhere, please tell me (within the next 25 years please) and I'll change it to unsigned int." -- Satoshi
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
bitcats
Legendary

Activity: 1014
Merit: 1001

View Profile
June 14, 2013, 07:15:50 AM

.. When everyone has a gun, there is no violence.
Sorry, but this is just rubbish.

"Unser Problem ist nicht ziviler Ungehorsam, unser Problem ist ziviler Gehorsam."  - Howard Zinn
freedomno1
Legendary

Activity: 1806
Merit: 1090

Learning the troll avoidance button :)

View Profile
June 14, 2013, 07:17:57 AM

Let's avoid a NRA debate whistle Smiley

Believing in Bitcoins and it's ability to change the world
K1773R
Legendary

Activity: 1792
Merit: 1008

/dev/null

View Profile
June 14, 2013, 07:31:21 AM

I was talking to a fellow bitcoiner about this forum IRL and he said he thought it was "degenerating"  Grin

I disagree. I find it's getting better.

Who's right?
yes it is but thats not the fault of the forum nor the mods, its the fault of the degeneration of humans

[GPG Public Key]
BTC/DVC/TRC/FRC: 1K1773RbXRZVRQSSXe9N6N2MUFERvrdu6y ANC/XPM AK1773RTmRKtvbKBCrUu95UQg5iegrqyeA NMC: NK1773Rzv8b4ugmCgX789PbjewA9fL9Dy1 LTC: LKi773RBuPepQH8E6Zb1ponoCvgbU7hHmd EMC: EK1773RxUes1HX1YAGMZ1xVYBBRUCqfDoF BQC: bK1773R1APJz4yTgRkmdKQhjhiMyQpJgfN
ranlo
Legendary

Activity: 1974
Merit: 1007

View Profile
June 14, 2013, 11:09:17 AM

I was talking to a fellow bitcoiner about this forum IRL and he said he thought it was "degenerating"  Grin

I disagree. I find it's getting better.

Who's right?
yes it is but thats not the fault of the forum nor the mods, its the fault of the degeneration of humans

I don't believe humans are getting "worse," just that with the advent of "anonymity" and the instant ability to communicate, it has become more apparent.

https://nanogames.io/i-bctalk-n/
Message for info on how to get kickbacks on sites like Nano (above) and CryptoPlay!
a1phanumrc

Activity: 112
Merit: 10

View Profile
June 16, 2013, 05:16:54 AM

No, when everyone has a gun, there is LESS violence, and any violence that does occur is usually quickly contained.

Agreed. 100%

BC tips: BA1phaSEpCN7jiSS33SSWXf3Bs1rP9SKir
ranlo
Legendary

View Profile
June 16, 2013, 07:43:54 AM

No, when everyone has a gun, there is LESS violence, and any violence that does occur is usually quickly contained.

Right, I completely agree that there is less. I don't agree that there is "none."

For the record, statistics have already proven this as well. If you look at the number of crimes with guns that are committed in various businesses, you will find that statistically they happen MUCH more often in places where weapons are banned (counties) than elsewhere. This isn't a coincidence; people want to commit crimes they can get away with. If everyone is capable of stopping them, their chances of success go down and therefore the number of people willing to take the risk does as well.

You'll always have those that are "insane" and will commit crimes regardless, though.

Message for info on how to get kickbacks on sites like Nano (above) and CryptoPlay!
freedomno1
Legendary

View Profile
June 16, 2013, 08:16:45 AM

Right, I completely agree that there is less. I don't agree that there is "none."

For the record, statistics have already proven this as well. If you look at the number of crimes with guns that are committed in various businesses, you will find that statistically they happen MUCH more often in places where weapons are banned (counties) than elsewhere. This isn't a coincidence; people want to commit crimes they can get away with. If everyone is capable of stopping them, their chances of success go down and therefore the number of people willing to take the risk does as well.

You'll always have those that are "insane" and will commit crimes regardless, though.

Difficulty of the acquisition of weapons is important when factoring those statistics
You said counties so I presume other counties allowed for weapons and so the point of entry is easy between regions
Counter Example would be the United Kingdom knife violence but a lot less gun violence
So choosing the best weapon of choice definitely factors into criminal minds everyone has a gun they use guns or everyone gets a knife
^_^ This count as an example of the forum degenerating XD
<Mean random topics XD> Not the Guns vs Knives part

As a reference can't we just be civil  Wink
http://news.nationalpost.com/2012/08/09/walt-wawra/

ranlo
Legendary

View Profile
June 16, 2013, 08:21:05 AM

Difficulty of the acquisition of weapons is important when factoring those statistics
You said counties so I presume other counties allowed for weapons and so the point of entry is easy between regions
Counter Example would be the United Kingdom knife violence but a lot less gun violence
So choosing the best weapon of choice definitely factors into criminal minds everyone has a gun they use guns or everyone gets a knife

You are right on the concept of weapon availability, to a point, but some are easier to use. There's the theory (or fact?) that if all we had was rocks, people would still kill each other, just using rocks (and medieval times proves this as well). But giving easier to use weapons and/or faster to use ones makes getting away that much easier.

As for the counties, you're right: each county (which can be pretty small) can have its own laws on those things, so you could, for example, drive for 30 minutes and go through Guns Outlawed -> Allowed -> Outlawed -> Allowed. So something we've seen through statistics is that people go out of their way to go into another county where it's outlawed to carry guns, rather than going with their local area.

freedomno1
Legendary

View Profile
June 16, 2013, 08:33:28 AM

You are right on the concept of weapon availability, to a point, but some are easier to use. There's the theory (or fact?) that if all we had was rocks, people would still kill each other, just using rocks (and medieval times proves this as well). But giving easier to use weapons and/or faster to use ones makes getting away that much easier.

As for the counties, you're right: each county (which can be pretty small) can have its own laws on those things, so you could, for example, drive for 30 minutes and go through Guns Outlawed -> Allowed -> Outlawed -> Allowed. So something we've seen through statistics is that people go out of their way to go into another county where it's outlawed to carry guns, rather than going with their local area.

I agree with you my point was do you really need to be carrying a gun everywhere by reflex to feel safe
Or is the civility part of the degeneration of humanity as a whole (Attempts to bring on topic Cheesy)

We could all be like this Smiley

To be technical there are likely other factors that account for this difference and you could just use SPSS Statistics and crunch the trend numbers and variables from the source data to determine the true averages without the confounding variables such as ease of entry from one gun zone to other or filter it by number of counties away from a guns allowed region and see if the greater the distance the less gun crime there is.

That said if ease of entry is high then moving weapons from A to B would bring more crime to B
Just due to the fact its easier  
With the exception of rocks since they are practically everywhere  Wink
On the bright-side rock violence is at an all time low since a bit after the medieval ages with the invention of firearms
Less the occasional slingshot and smashed windows

ranlo
Legendary

View Profile
June 16, 2013, 08:38:54 AM

(cutting down on quote length)

I see where you're coming from. In my case, I don't carry a gun, but then again I haven't seen any real violence where I live either (according to our PD, in my city there have been two violent crimes in the past 15 years, o.O). I do live in the middle of nowhere though, lol.

freedomno1
Legendary

View Profile
June 16, 2013, 08:53:41 AM
Last edit: June 16, 2013, 09:04:03 AM by freedomno1

I see where you're coming from. In my case, I don't carry a gun, but then again I haven't seen any real violence where I live either (according to our PD, in my city there have been two violent crimes in the past 15 years, o.O). I do live in the middle of nowhere though, lol.

Thanks was about to cut down on the quote wall too
I don't carry a gun myself nor does anyone else for that matter up here, only the Cops carry visible guns and even the criminals don't bring them for anything but crimes. Just the usual concealed knife no one knows is there
That said if anyone wanted a weapon there's always something
Air-Soft Rifles
Kitchen Set Knife Set
Swords
Backpacks with a rice cooker
Molotov Cocktails
Crowbars
3D Laser Printed Gun
The list could go on a while

That said these weapons kill less efficiently than a gun so the most efficient route is usually the preferred one for crime and the most efficient weapon is usually the ones criminals prefer.
I also don't want armed border guards with guns protecting school children inside iron-cross bar windows
Too much like a prison  Grin
And signifies everyone should live in fear not a real positive message
(Security Officers are fine though prevent hooliganism watch to make sure no one damages cars in the parking lot etc preventing minor infractions.)

That said if you live in the middle of nowhere a tranquilizer gun for wild bears might be handy or a gun for alligators if nearby
I hear they do make a mean gumbo

ranlo
Legendary

View Profile
June 16, 2013, 09:03:09 AM

Thanks was about to cut down on the quote wall too
I don't carry a gun myself nor does anyone else for that matter up here, only the Cops carry visible guns and even the criminals don't bring them for anything but crimes. Just the usual concealed knife no one knows is there
That said if anyone wanted a weapon there's always something
Air-Soft Rifles
Kitchen Set Knife Set
Swords
Backpacks with a rice cooker
Molotov Cocktails
Crowbars
3D Laser Printed Gun
The list could go on a while

That said these weapons kill less efficiently than a gun so the most efficient route is usually the preferred one for crime and the most efficient weapon is usually the ones criminals prefer.
I also don't want armed border guards with guns protecting school children inside iron-cross bar windows
Too much like a prison  Grin
And signifies everyone should live in fear not a real positive message

That said if you live in the middle of nowhere a tranquilizer gun for wild bears might be handy or a gun for alligators if nearby

Lol, it would be somewhat funny to see people running around with samurai swords slicing and dicing. I always forget what group it is but one of the 2000+ or so year old colonies used to carry swords and go from village to village killing for sport.

Also, where I live we do have coyotes and wild boars, although I haven't seen any of them alive. Oddly enough an actual city nearby is the one plagued by coyotes and such the most (probably related to the whole gun thing -- they are outlawed there -- so people can't defend themselves).

Out here there are no real laws, other than federal ones. Ex. we can shoot guns out in our yard or whatever we want, really. The downside is that we don't get city assistance with fixing up roads or cleaning up dead animals.

freedomno1
Legendary

View Profile
June 16, 2013, 09:33:13 AM

Lol, it would be somewhat funny to see people running around with samurai swords slicing and dicing. I always forget what group it is but one of the 2000+ or so year old colonies used to carry swords and go from village to village killing for sport.

Also, where I live we do have coyotes and wild boars, although I haven't seen any of them alive. Oddly enough an actual city nearby is the one plagued by coyotes and such the most (probably related to the whole gun thing -- they are outlawed there -- so people can't defend themselves).

Out here there are no real laws, other than federal ones. Ex. we can shoot guns out in our yard or whatever we want, really. The downside is that we don't get city assistance with fixing up roads or cleaning up dead animals.

Well were not in Japan in the Feudal era so not much chance of seeing that but I do admit it would be entertaining watching people running around with samurai swords
Maybe in a zombie apocolypse (HOTD style) (That's almost a tradeoff he-he)
We are more likely to see some crazy person in a car ramming people like its GTA or some other types of psychological crime over there
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Akihabara_massacre

On a side-note they do have a lot of police boxes in Japan for helping people by giving directions reporting ruffians, lost and found, quick access to emergency services etc that probably lowers the crime level a bit.
But like all countries they need to worry about corruption instead.

For some people a pet dog helps to protect from coyotes but the coyotes are mostly are worried about their territory, that said we have very few coyotes out here but some deer's elk and moose instead so not much to worry about on the predators side.
Most coyotes got owned long ago by good predation control measures to protect our cows that said they are resilient.

I guess a Spray can would work for the city folk
Nothing like aiming mace at a charging animal (Lover Quarrels included)
Just like playing darts don't miss and aim for the bulls eye Cheesy

And at least there is always roadside assistance if your car breaks down.
That said road repair and cleaning up dead animals sounds like something that would grow the economy and should be someones job
Infrastructure and maintenance gets ignored a lot

(On the bright side at least those google weather balloons will soon be able to track you worldwide live from the sky and provide you internet access where ever you go XD) Even in the middle of nowhere (Or north korea lol)
http://www.komonews.com/news/local/Google-begins-launching-Internet-beaming-balloons-211690711.html

I kind of forgot is this forum degeneracy or was this whole topic degenerate by default

(In case)
Stalking accounts
Bad Rep
Trust System Errors
Selling of Bitcointalk accounts
False Ratings
Growing Community
More Spam
Quote walls
Should sum up what we mentioned so far  

Operatr

Activity: 798
Merit: 1000

www.DonateMedia.org

View Profile WWW
June 17, 2013, 02:50:57 AM

Speaking of mods not paying attention....

This thread  = derailed

freedomno1
Legendary

View Profile
June 17, 2013, 03:52:52 AM

Speaking of mods not paying attention....

This thread  = derailed

Example completed lol I scrapped up a summary there  Cool

junglist.massive

Activity: 759
Merit: 500

View Profile
June 17, 2013, 11:41:58 AM

is there any alternative to bitcointalk? any good forum?
Bogdan

Activity: 14
Merit: 0

View Profile
June 17, 2013, 12:32:23 PM

I think the forums are useful. As BTC becomes even more popular so will this forum.
JimCGSavings

Activity: 56
Merit: 0

View Profile
June 17, 2013, 12:35:31 PM

Well, this thread turned into an interesting example. (grin)

As for the "if everyone had a gun" meme, checkout Vice, episode 1, ASSASSINATION NATION on HBO.
http://youtu.be/h0IYXxqwjDA
ranlo
Legendary

View Profile
June 17, 2013, 01:26:30 PM

Well, this thread turned into an interesting example. (grin)

As for the "if everyone had a gun" meme, checkout Vice, episode 1, ASSASSINATION NATION on HBO.
http://youtu.be/h0IYXxqwjDA

That it did, and that's an interesting video... but it's also worth noting that how people are raised will make a massive impact on what they do. Ex. if people are born in war-torn countries, they will be less impacted by death and such and those that are born in areas where killing is taboo.

Pages: « 1 2 3 [4] 5 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: