Bitcoin Forum
April 19, 2024, 07:33:44 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 26.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Basic Mining Questions (New Miner Here)  (Read 1155 times)
nono5551212 (OP)

Activity: 1
Merit: 0

View Profile
September 12, 2017, 09:26:11 PM

Hello,

I configured a few of my computers at home to mine using NiceHash.

I left all 3 computers run for about 12 hours a day over 3 days, and earned about $5 in BitCoin, which nice hash will dump into my GreenAddress.it bitcoin wallet as bitcoin....

I realize GPU/CPU mining is dying and ASIC is the way to go.

I purchased X4 Innosilicon A4 Dominators (was told I might be able to upgrade to A4+ Smiley.

My questions
 Huh Am I right to say... when I am using NiceHash I am not mining but just getting paid to rent out my processing power?
 Huh My greenaddress.it wallet seems to be just bitcoin.. If I learn how to mine will I need seperate wallets for Bitcoin, litecoin, etherium etc?
 Huh What is the best way or sites for wallets? Is there anything I should know about wallets?
 Huh Will my A4 Dominators mine more than LiteCoin?
 Huh Lets say I start making a few hundred dollars a month in BitCoin how can I convert it into dollars? Is there a website?
 Huh Lets say I have a Bitcoin, Etherium, & Litecoin wallet will I be able to convert them all into dollars?

Sorry if my questions do not make sense.. I just heard of mining 5 days ago....

hopefully soon I will be able to understand how to use the whattomine...com website

Thanks in advance for your help...

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
The forum was founded in 2009 by Satoshi and Sirius. It replaced a SourceForge forum.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.
os2sam
Legendary

Activity: 3578
Merit: 1090

Think for yourself

View Profile
September 12, 2017, 10:38:26 PM

I realize GPU/CPU mining is dying and ASIC is the way to go.

CPU Mining died 6 years ago and GPU mining died 4 to 5 years ago.  Most ASIC's are obsolete now.

Also this is the Bitcoin forum so you may want to post in the altcoin section.

Also Nicehash has a support thread.

https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=893133.msg9835458#msg9835458

A: Because it messes up the order in which people normally read text.
Q: Why is top-posting such a bad thing?
A: Top-posting.
Q: What is the most annoying thing on usenet and in e-mail?
rockie2000

Activity: 126
Merit: 100

Waves address 3PP4npcijfECsxrf4Ms4rSxPuZq1kamGn7H

View Profile
September 16, 2017, 11:47:17 AM

Hi,
Let me try to answer your questions:

Huh Am I right to say... when I am using NiceHash I am not mining but just getting paid to rent out my processing power? -> It's quite similar, you get paid for your processing power. The only difference is your get BTC from Nicehash.

Huh My greenaddress.it wallet seems to be just bitcoin.. If I learn how to mine will I need seperate wallets for Bitcoin, litecoin, etherium etc? -> Yes, you'll need separate wallets for each coin you're going to mine.

Huh Lets say I start making a few hundred dollars a month in BitCoin how can I convert it into dollars? Is there a website?

Huh Lets say I have a Bitcoin, Etherium, & Litecoin wallet will I be able to convert them all into dollars? -> localbitcoins.com or many online exchanges

Hope that helps!

▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓    ▶▶▶▶ Get Your Free Tokens Now ◀◀◀◀  First PoS Smart Contract Token
    PoSToken       Free Airdrop ●  No-ICO ●  100% Annual Interest First Year
▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓    ANN ●  WebSite  ●  Twitter  ●  Slack  ●  Whitepaper
nick_2017

Activity: 490
Merit: 100

View Profile
September 20, 2017, 07:53:30 AM

Hello. Could you you tell me about one thing? How can I start mining in my own flat? Which configuration of computer I need? Maybe I need any specific devices?

Beefcake

Activity: 279
Merit: 132

Beefcake!!!

View Profile
September 22, 2017, 07:25:03 PM

Hello. Could you you tell me about one thing? How can I start mining in my own flat? Which configuration of computer I need? Maybe I need any specific devices?

Hi, before you buy any hardware there are a few things to consider:

-Mining produces a great deal of heat and noise.  How will you deal with this?
-Setting up the miner might be technically difficult.
-Some miners have specific power requirements that may need additional electrical systems installed.  Can your power grid run the miner, and if not is it cost effective to have new systems installed?
-The major limiting factor is cost of electricity.  Where I live electricity is so expensive, that even if I got a new asic for free, I would still lose money every day just because electricity costs far more than I could ever make from mining.

There are lots of things to consider so read before you get stuck with a $5000 paperweight.  Good luck!
NotFuzzyWarm
Legendary

Activity: 3612
Merit: 2494

Evil beware: We have waffles!

View Profile
September 22, 2017, 07:52:10 PM

READ Bitcoin Mining 101
Then decide.

- For bitcoin to succeed the community must police itself -    My info useful? Donations welcome! 1FuzzyWc2J8TMqeUQZ8yjE43Rwr7K3cxs9
 -Sole remaining active developer of cgminer, Kano's repo is here
-Support Sidehacks miner development. Donations to:   1BURGERAXHH6Yi6LRybRJK7ybEm5m5HwTr
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: