Bitcoin Forum
May 07, 2024, 06:43:52 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1] 2 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Julian Assange and Eric Schmidt talk about bitcoin  (Read 2562 times)
bitbitcoins (OP)

Activity: 238
Merit: 100

bitbitcoins.com

View Profile WWW
May 27, 2013, 08:29:14 PM
Last edit: May 27, 2013, 08:59:58 PM by bitbitcoins

Here is the transcript of a secret meeting that took place in uk between Eric Schmidt (Google ceo) and Julian Assange (Wikileaks founder) as he was under arrest. It's just the part of the recorded transcription that talk about Bitcoin but the whole five hours recording is really interesting ! you should find it on wikileaks.
http://bitbitcoins.com/content/julian-assange-and-eric-schmidt-talking-about-bitcoin

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
If you see garbage posts (off-topic, trolling, spam, no point, etc.), use the "report to moderator" links. All reports are investigated, though you will rarely be contacted about your reports.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
jackjack
Legendary

Activity: 1176
Merit: 1233

May Bitcoin be touched by his Noodly Appendage

View Profile
May 27, 2013, 08:41:02 PM

tl;dr:
Schmidt didn't give a shit
Assange was high: "it is not going to decay like apples or steaks."

Own address: 19QkqAza7BHFTuoz9N8UQkryP4E9jHo4N3 - Pywallet support: 1AQDfx22pKGgXnUZFL1e4UKos3QqvRzNh5 - Bitcointalk++ script support: 1Pxeccscj1ygseTdSV1qUqQCanp2B2NMM2
Pywallet: instructions. Encrypted wallet support, export/import keys/addresses, backup wallets, export/import CSV data from/into wallet, merge wallets, delete/import addresses and transactions, recover altcoins sent to bitcoin addresses, sign/verify messages and files with Bitcoin addresses, recover deleted wallets, etc.
threeip

Activity: 154

View Profile WWW
May 27, 2013, 08:50:56 PM

Julian Assange
[...] you know about Bitcoin?

Eric Schmidt
No.

Julian Assange
Here is my digital currency and, now I take a copy of it. And now I want to buy your bit of egg. And then you go... and now I want to buy your radish! And you go, what? I've already got that!

Eric Schmidt most definitely did not give a shit and wanted to talk about flying egyptian cellphones etc

ส็็็็็็็็็็็็็็็็็็็็็็็็็ GPG:2AFD99BB ಠ_ಠ mon
Matthew N. Wright
Untrustworthy

Activity: 588
Merit: 500

Hero VIP ultra official trusted super staff puppet

View Profile
May 27, 2013, 08:52:37 PM

you should found it on wikileaks.
Found it! http://wikileaks.org/Transcript-Meeting-Assange-Schmidt.html

Now no one has to look at that horrible design at bitbitcoins.com  Wink

bitbitcoins (OP)

bitbitcoins.com

View Profile WWW
May 27, 2013, 08:58:08 PM

... hmm at last it sorted out for you the only part talking about bitcoins ... and also gave you the place where you can find the whole article ... fair enough for bitbitcoins Wink

Matthew N. Wright
Untrustworthy

Activity: 588

Hero VIP ultra official trusted super staff puppet

View Profile
May 27, 2013, 09:02:26 PM

... hmm at last it sorted out for you the only part talking about bitcoins ... and also gave you the place where you can find the whole article ... fair enough for bitbitcoins Wink

http://wikileaks.org/Transcript-Meeting-Assange-Schmidt.html#688  Undecided

bitbitcoins (OP)

bitbitcoins.com

View Profile WWW
May 27, 2013, 09:51:34 PM

tricky ... but I still support the horrible design Grin

bitbitcoins (OP)

bitbitcoins.com

View Profile WWW
May 28, 2013, 05:38:17 AM

tl;dr:
Schmidt didn't give a shit
Assange was high: "it is not going to decay like apples or steaks."
Like gold ...

some more info : http://www.washingtonpost.com/blogs/wonkblog/wp/2013/05/15/the-coming-political-battle-over-bitcoin/

dogie
Legendary

Activity: 1666
Merit: 1183

dogiecoin.com

View Profile WWW
May 28, 2013, 09:02:38 AM

Julian Assange
[...] you know about Bitcoin?

Eric Schmidt
No.

Julian Assange
Here is my digital currency and, now I take a copy of it. And now I want to buy your bit of egg. And then you go... and now I want to buy your radish! And you go, what? I've already got that!

Eric Schmidt most definitely did not give a shit and wanted to talk about flying egyptian cellphones etc

Well of course he had never heard of Bitcoin -- he's a respectable CEO! And what's a market maker/technology incubator going to do with a monetary system anyway? Going into that space would be greedy.

No he's not, he's a visionary.

bitcryptonit

Activity: 93
Merit: 10

View Profile
May 28, 2013, 09:21:33 AM

good thing is we are not alone in that battle

bitbitcoins (OP)

bitbitcoins.com

View Profile WWW
May 28, 2013, 04:00:13 PM

Also interesting, from the same author and with the same discussion-style, you should read the exchange between Assange, Appelbaum and Zimmerman.: Cypherpunks: Freedom and the Future of the Internet. You will learn about crypto and have the opportunity to think about your own privacy in the frame of a globalized world ... but don't become paranoïd Wink Here is the link to the book:
http://www.amazon.co.uk/Cypherpunks-Freedom-Future-Internet-ebook/dp/B00AZBI4IO/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1369743039&sr=8-2&keywords=assange+Appelbaum

Rampion
Legendary

Activity: 1148
Merit: 1018

View Profile
May 28, 2013, 04:08:43 PM

Man, what a disappointment, Eric Schmidt didn't give a shit about Bitcoin.

oakpacific

Activity: 784
Merit: 1000

View Profile
May 28, 2013, 04:10:27 PM

He does now.

https://tlsnotary.org/ Fraud proofing decentralized fiat-Bitcoin trading.
bitbitcoins (OP)

bitbitcoins.com

View Profile WWW
May 28, 2013, 04:55:57 PM

He does now.

Yes ...  remember, this discussion took place in 2011 ... hopefully things changed from that time ...

Rampion
Legendary

Activity: 1148
Merit: 1018

View Profile
May 28, 2013, 05:00:13 PM

He does now.

Yes ...  remember, this discussion took place in 2011 ... hopefully things changed from that time ...

Still it's incredible how a guy who is supposed to be a visionary had so little to say about Bitcoin. First time I heard about BTC... It blew my mind, I only had questions in my head and I had the urge to read more and more about it. It's so revolutionary, so game changing... That I'm starting to doubt Eric is such a "visionary" after reading his super-cold reply to Assange's explanation of Bitcoin.

jackjack
Legendary

Activity: 1176
Merit: 1233

May Bitcoin be touched by his Noodly Appendage

View Profile
May 28, 2013, 06:08:29 PM

He does now.

Yes ...  remember, this discussion took place in 2011 ... hopefully things changed from that time ...

Still it's incredible how a guy who is supposed to be a visionary had so little to say about Bitcoin. First time I heard about BTC... It blew my mind, I only had questions in my head and I had the urge to read more and more about it. It's so revolutionary, so game changing... That I'm starting to doubt Eric is such a "visionary" after reading his super-cold reply to Assange's explanation of Bitcoin.
Pretty much this

Own address: 19QkqAza7BHFTuoz9N8UQkryP4E9jHo4N3 - Pywallet support: 1AQDfx22pKGgXnUZFL1e4UKos3QqvRzNh5 - Bitcointalk++ script support: 1Pxeccscj1ygseTdSV1qUqQCanp2B2NMM2
Pywallet: instructions. Encrypted wallet support, export/import keys/addresses, backup wallets, export/import CSV data from/into wallet, merge wallets, delete/import addresses and transactions, recover altcoins sent to bitcoin addresses, sign/verify messages and files with Bitcoin addresses, recover deleted wallets, etc.
cdog

Activity: 1036

View Profile
May 28, 2013, 08:53:18 PM

He does now.

Im imagining someone with such a high IQ and deep understanding of technology doesnt come across technologies hes never heard of often, and Eric was probably a bit taken aback, embarrassed, and stand-offish/dismissive because hey, hed never heard of it, how important could it be?
threeip

Activity: 154

View Profile WWW
May 28, 2013, 09:32:14 PM

Eric was probably a bit taken aback, embarrassed, and stand-offish/dismissive because hey, he didn't invent  it, how important could it be?

Fixed that for ya.

Also, quoting this again...

"If you have something that you don't want anyone to know, maybe you shouldn't be doing it in the first place."

...so why would anyone want Bitcoin, just bend over and take our gCheckout/gWallet...

ส็็็็็็็็็็็็็็็็็็็็็็็็็ GPG:2AFD99BB ಠ_ಠ mon
Inedible

Activity: 700

What doesn't kill you only makes you sicker!

View Profile
May 28, 2013, 09:40:16 PM

You probably run your billion dollar empire much more efficiently than he does, thus leaving you the time to indulge on learning about anything that comes your way.

Grin

But seriously, he probably has ideas pitched at him all the time so he probably has a team of people that filter everything out that seems whacky and is left with a short list of 10 hot things to look at every week instead of thousands.

If this post was useful, interesting or entertaining, then you've misunderstood.
oakpacific

Activity: 784
Merit: 1000

View Profile
May 29, 2013, 12:26:49 AM

He does now.

I think it's quite the other way around, millions of people coming up with millions of supposedly "revolutionary" ideas each day(just check how many are out there in this forum), there is simply too much noise in this whole mess, so instead of following the information stream everyday, he somehow decides, like many who has done before him, to rely on people he considers smart to introduce him to the "real deals", and from the transcript it seems to be be exactly his purpose of visit to Julian Assange(both Schmidt and Assange were both good computer scientists and programmers, FYI), now Schmidt has recognized Bitcoin's technical merits and called it a "tour de force".

Also what must be pointed out is Bitcoin's mathematical brilliance is out of the reach of normal human beings who do not normally follow the progress of cryptography(which Assange does), so Schmidt needs Assange to "digest" it a bit to explain to him.

https://tlsnotary.org/ Fraud proofing decentralized fiat-Bitcoin trading.
Pages: [1] 2 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: