Bitcoin Forum
June 26, 2024, 06:23:22 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1] 2 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Which OS is the most secure?  (Read 1173 times)
falkspearl (OP)

Activity: 46
Merit: 0

View Profile
May 27, 2013, 10:18:36 PM

Which Operating System is the most secure for having a wallet of BTC? Including immunity to viruses, troyans and so on.
JayKEy00

Activity: 27

View Profile
May 27, 2013, 10:23:26 PM
Last edit: May 28, 2013, 07:53:18 PM by tysat

MOD EDIT:
See https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=218040.0 as this site is probably a scam

I can tell you with my own experience, dont save your keys at a server from for example mtgox.com or bitcoin.de. I had 3 BTC on it and they were stolen. Now i made a PaperWallet and have 50 BTC and dont have any problems. I made it at www.bitcoin-address.org and put it in my safe.
Kaepora

Activity: 42

View Profile
May 27, 2013, 10:24:09 PM

Which Operating System is the most secure for having a wallet of BTC? Including immunity to viruses, troyans and so on.

nothing is, just use the OS not many are using which means less people will want to make stuff to compromise it = Linux
jackjack
Legendary

Activity: 1176
Merit: 1255

May Bitcoin be touched by his Noodly Appendage

View Profile
May 28, 2013, 07:27:51 PM

AmigaOS

Own address: 19QkqAza7BHFTuoz9N8UQkryP4E9jHo4N3 - Pywallet support: 1AQDfx22pKGgXnUZFL1e4UKos3QqvRzNh5 - Bitcointalk++ script support: 1Pxeccscj1ygseTdSV1qUqQCanp2B2NMM2
Pywallet: instructions. Encrypted wallet support, export/import keys/addresses, backup wallets, export/import CSV data from/into wallet, merge wallets, delete/import addresses and transactions, recover altcoins sent to bitcoin addresses, sign/verify messages and files with Bitcoin addresses, recover deleted wallets, etc.
DarkLight72

View Profile
May 28, 2013, 08:09:25 PM

Encrypting your wallet will go a long way as well (although nothing is foolproof).

The only secure OS is the one that has never been connected to any network...which kind of defeats the purpose of mining...
bitzillions

View Profile WWW
May 31, 2013, 12:59:01 AM

It doesn't really matter which OS you choose - just that you keep it completely offline.   Linux or other UNIX-like os's will be the most versatile and able to be run easily from flash drives and on lightweight hardware.   I like the idea of using Raspberry Pi for a hardware wallet.   Its small, cheap, can be easily firewall if you do want the ability to give it online access.  It runs on flash so its pretty simple to clone.   I recommend using file-system encryption (cryptsetup + luks) to secure it.
ultrix

Activity: 125
Merit: 100

View Profile
May 31, 2013, 02:10:26 AM

None... Unless you built your own, from scratch. But Macs and Linux are pretty secure.

Uh.. yeah..  because noone has ever hacked a proprietary OS...

To answer OP's question:

Closed Source:
Windows - bad authentication mechanisms and weak security modle coupled with a traditionally poorly QA'ed code base.
Mac OSX - sad when you can read through freebsd errata from 10 years ago and find exploitable bugs.  Anything you hear about Mac's being secure is purely marketing.  The same way oracle said their database was "unbreakable" 10 years ago.

Open Source:
Linux - highly dependent on distribution and packages installed.   If you enable ASLR (most non-debian based distros do this), non-exec stack & heap, use chrome, trim down the setuids, run minimal services, and partition different tasks (and subsequent access permission's) to different users and/or groups, you can build a pretty secure box.
Pretty much all the other open source OS's are unfortunately poorly maintained in recent years or lack competitive security features.

pembo210

Activity: 74
Merit: 10

View Profile
May 31, 2013, 02:25:22 AM

cold storage.. An offline wallet that sends coins to an online wallet that then does the actual transaction.. (BTW Newbie to forum, trying to help Wink)

Edit: or some type of stand-alone wallet hardware, like arduino
dilb3rt

Activity: 21

View Profile
May 31, 2013, 03:09:34 AM

Look up tails linux
dilb3rt

Activity: 21

View Profile
May 31, 2013, 03:10:30 AM

None... Unless you built your own, from scratch. But Macs and Linux are pretty secure.

I highlighted the important parts of my statement, but I would love to see documentation on these 10yr FreeBSD bugs that still plague Mac OSX, cause I haven't read that. But linux and mac OSX 10.8 are on the same playing field last time I checked it out. It is one of the main reasons why Macs are used in google, faceebook, and pretty much any other huge website company.

It's because OS X is based in unix, which linux was modeled around
BitcoinIsFree

Activity: 7

View Profile
May 31, 2013, 06:24:42 AM

I highlighted the important parts of my statement, but I would love to see documentation on these 10yr FreeBSD bugs that still plague Mac OSX, cause I haven't read that. But linux and mac OSX 10.8 are on the same playing field last time I checked it out. It is one of the main reasons why Macs are used in google, faceebook, and pretty much any other huge website company.

It's because OS X is based in unix, which linux was modeled around

"LINUX" stands for "LINUX Not UNIX".
Kaepora

View Profile
May 31, 2013, 06:26:20 AM

Oh dear, did someone start a flame war
intellivision

Activity: 31

View Profile
May 31, 2013, 06:33:12 AM

It really depends on what you do with your computer.
If it's behind a firewall, you don't download any untrusted software, you don't copy-paste commands into the terminal, don't share your wallet directory over a network, have a password protected login and you keep some reasonable web smarts like not opening Java applications on untrusted websites, any OS is a good OS.

Try to keep it on a machine that only you have access to as well and if you're feeling really paranoid, encrypt the folder or drive your wallet resides in.
Ghost42

Activity: 51

View Profile
May 31, 2013, 06:34:57 AM

I also think about using a "storage" wallet and a online transaction wallet.

What kind of Linux System would you prefer for putting it on a Flash-Disk or USB Stick to boot from?
danshur

Activity: 1

View Profile
May 31, 2013, 06:53:29 AM

bump
intellivision

Activity: 31

View Profile
May 31, 2013, 07:23:27 AM

I also think about using a "storage" wallet and a online transaction wallet.

What kind of Linux System would you prefer for putting it on a Flash-Disk or USB Stick to boot from?

Tails would be a good choice since it's based on Debian and it's geared towards anonymity and security.
nightyj

Activity: 89

View Profile
May 31, 2013, 08:28:27 AM

Keeping your coins on a flash drive seems more secure.
Double-Spent

Activity: 74

View Profile
May 31, 2013, 08:31:16 AM

Avoid Windows, it's the most unsecure OS out of the box

And do not think you are "safe" just because you use a certain OS, only way to be quite secure is to use paper wallets and/or cold storage.
Kazimir
Legendary

Merit: 1003

View Profile
May 31, 2013, 09:04:07 AM

The only secure OS is the one that has never been connected to any network...which kind of defeats the purpose of mining...
Ehhh, storing your wallet securely and mining have exactly nothing to do with eachother.

I store my BTC in a dedicated Ubuntu Live install on USB which has never been connected to the internet (disconnected & removed all network interfaces). Locally generated a bunch of private keys there, stored with encryption (and backed up on several locations of course). Exported the public addresses to a windows environment, so I can check my balance and send savings without Ubuntu, I only need that to actually spend it (which I do by signing transactions offline). Private keys are NEVER exposed outside the secured disconnected Ubuntu environment, ever.

And I keep a 2nd wallet with just some small pocket change on my regular Windows system.

In theory, there's no difference between theory and practice. In practice, there is.
Insert coin(s): 1KazimirL9MNcnFnoosGrEkmMsbYLxPPob
Kazimir
Legendary

Merit: 1003

View Profile
May 31, 2013, 09:05:45 AM

Keeping your coins on a flash drive seems more secure.
Why?

I'd say it makes no difference whatsoever. It all depends on how you access (spend) them and how they are stored. Are they encrypted and backed up, for example?

In theory, there's no difference between theory and practice. In practice, there is.
Insert coin(s): 1KazimirL9MNcnFnoosGrEkmMsbYLxPPob
Pages: [1] 2 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: