Bitcoin Forum
May 12, 2024, 10:51:14 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Bitcoin Mining Power Could be Put to Better Use  (Read 1670 times)
datz (OP)

Activity: 295
Merit: 250

"to survive, we must live and fly"

View Profile
May 27, 2013, 11:55:09 PM

Redirect mining power!

http://www.nytimes.com/2013/05/27/world/middleeast/computers-piecing-together-jigsaw-of-jewish-lore.html?ref=technology&_r=0
"The nature of Bitcoin is such that once version 0.1 was released, the core design was set in stone for the rest of its lifetime." -- Satoshi
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Littleshop
Legendary

Activity: 1386
Merit: 1003

View Profile WWW
May 28, 2013, 12:47:54 AM

The reason why you can't do this is you need a hard to do, easy to verify problem.   While there are a lot of cool ideas like cancer research, finding ET or weather work, all of them need human interaction to verify and most require huge data streams.   None of these will work to replace hashing.

LostDutchman

Activity: 476

View Profile WWW
May 28, 2013, 01:06:35 AM

Redirect mining power to support the superstition that is religion?

Yeah, right.

Corporations For Crypto
Protect Your Assets and Reduce Your Tax Liability With A Kansas Corporation!
We Demand Justice From BFL
grue
Legendary

Activity: 2058
Merit: 1431

View Profile
May 28, 2013, 01:10:18 AM

discussed a million times before. tl;dr answer: all "useful" computing power would need centralization.

It is pitch black. You are likely to be eaten by a grue.

Adblock for annoying signature ads | Enhanced Merit UI
Tirapon

Activity: 898
Merit: 1000

View Profile
May 28, 2013, 01:11:47 AM
Last edit: May 29, 2013, 10:42:28 PM by Tirapon

I saw a thread which suggested redirecting hashing power towards a project that had potential to cure cancer and other diseases - a better use of resources IMO
Littleshop
Legendary

Activity: 1386
Merit: 1003

View Profile WWW
May 28, 2013, 01:20:56 AM

I saw a thread which suggested redirecting hashing power towards a project that had potential to cure cancer and other diseases - a better use of resources IMO

Still has the problem of a central authority as well as it is not 'hard to do, easy to verify'.

os2sam
Legendary

Activity: 3578
Merit: 1090

Think for yourself

View Profile
May 28, 2013, 01:26:30 AM

>>  Bitcoin Mining Power Could be Put to Better Use

If you want to mine Bitcoin then do it.  If you want to do something else with your computing power then do that.

I'm tired of people telling us our hashing could be doing something better.

I'll be the one to decide how to use my personal resources.  THANK YOU VERY MUCH.
Sam

A: Because it messes up the order in which people normally read text.
Q: Why is top-posting such a bad thing?
A: Top-posting.
Q: What is the most annoying thing on usenet and in e-mail?
LostDutchman

Activity: 476

View Profile WWW
May 28, 2013, 01:31:27 AM

>>  Bitcoin Mining Power Could be Put to Better Use

If you want to mine Bitcoin then do it.  If you want to do something else with your computing power then do that.

I'm tired of people telling us our hashing could be doing something better.

I'll be the one to decide how to use my personal resources.  THANK YOU VERY MUCH.
Sam

Thank you for your post!

Smiley

Corporations For Crypto
Protect Your Assets and Reduce Your Tax Liability With A Kansas Corporation!
We Demand Justice From BFL
shantee

Activity: 381
Merit: 274

An investment in knowledge pays the best interest.

View Profile WWW
May 28, 2013, 11:21:51 AM

So you suggest we use our hashing power to rebuild some kind of book about religion and more or less) legends ,and jewish history ?

Why not ! But I have got one question : Are we getting paid for that ?

If the answer is "no" then why would anyone here would waste even a 1 tiny khash/sec for this kind of project ?
If at least it was to help preventing tsunamis, to help to find a cure against some kind of decease I ll say , yeah why not. But from what i understood it's just to rebuild a kind of book which almost no one will ever read..What's the point ?
Actually even if hashing bitcoin or other alt crypto did not bring money I'll still rather use my hashing power for them  because at least I believe they are good and useful projects.

10 Great Bitcoin & Litecoin related domain name on sale ! | MY ltc adress : LdCEBkFWAoXNcXXgvJ2zGRk35ircZouUx8
razorfishsl

Activity: 399

View Profile WWW
May 28, 2013, 12:51:13 PM
Last edit: May 28, 2013, 01:08:52 PM by razorfishsl

you know... that might just work...
I could sell an exorcism service where I guarantee the possessed 200MP/s (Mega prayers a second), by taking bible verses and hashing them.

The Hash could be the proof that the prayer has been processed..  something like $1USD for an hour

So... 1GP/s
Would be 5*24 =$120USD a day.. which is way more profitable than bitcoin mining....

High Quality USB Hubs for Bitcoin miners
https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=560003
Pionwave

Activity: 29
Merit: 0

View Profile
May 28, 2013, 03:04:03 PM

you know... that might just work...
I could sell an exorcism service where I guarantee the possessed 200MP/s (Mega prayers a second), by taking bible verses and hashing them.

The Hash could be the proof that the prayer has been processed..  something like $1USD for an hour

So... 1GP/s
Would be 5*24 =$120USD a day.. which is way more profitable than bitcoin mining....

Sign me up, although.. I would prefer being paid in faeries and unicorns rather than USD.
turtle83

Activity: 322

Supersonic

View Profile WWW
May 29, 2013, 12:40:46 PM

Wait are you telling me that its a superstition that people lived 1000s of years ago and they wrote "details of Jewish life along the Mediterranean, including marriage, medicine and mysticism" ?

I agree religion is superstition, but... all religious documents are historically important as it gives a great deal of insight into way of life back then. Maybe something they learned back then which could help us now even.

buckus69

Activity: 27
Merit: 0

View Profile
May 29, 2013, 06:02:30 PM

You know what else could be put to better use?  Financial bonuses, corporate profits, the equipment used to mine gold, etc, etc...

Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: