Bitcoin Forum
June 24, 2024, 02:18:43 AM *
News: Voting for pizza day contest

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Add more cooling fans for RIG (how to ?)  (Read 589 times)
N0pr3s3n7 (OP)

Activity: 107
Merit: 11

View Profile
September 15, 2017, 09:43:01 PM

Hello , I've been searching over internet but in vain , since I cannot find a way to add for example 6 or more 12x12mm  fans to my rig. That being said not really I am not satisfied with the temps of my cards , but since rigs are getting bigger number I want to reorder them and build better wooden frames for them. I've already got the design I want to and it's super cheap to build , prolly less than 15 $ , and it's almost the same as 4u server rack . Just takes sometime to actually build it.  But since cards will be a lot closer than before (prolly 10 cm away from each other ) I want to add 1x fan between 2 cards , which makes arround 4-5-6x fans per rig.

1. How to add 6 or more fans to my motherboard ? where to get power from ? All i've found over the internet seems to be some fan controllers which are meant to be for a PC case , not for rigs
2. What fans to search for ? How big ? And how much CFM should they be ? ( I got GTX 1060/1070/1080 /1080ti ) that being said they do not pull A LOT OF power , but they take some)

I will appreciate every opinion ! Thanks very much , also links to proposed products would be appreciated Smiley
bouldou

Activity: 403
Merit: 101

View Profile
September 15, 2017, 11:27:10 PM

If I were you, I would do just like me and bu a BIG fan that you'd put in front of your rig, such as : https://www.amazon.com/Holmes-HBF2010A-WM-21-Inch-4-5-Inch-Speed-Settings/dp/B0037W4YD2/ref=sr_1_4?ie=UTF8&qid=1505517954&sr=8-4&keywords=fan

It will cool your rig in a proper way... enjoy Wink

Vous voulez une Lambo ? Investissez dans le YENTEN : https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=2706079.0
MingMining

Activity: 202
Merit: 10

Eloncoin.org - Mars, here we come!

View Profile
September 15, 2017, 11:42:25 PM

I just use some table fans or case fans to blow the heat away.

ElonCoin.org    ElonCoin.org    ElonCoin.org     ElonCoin.org     ElonCoin.org    ElonCoin.org    ElonCoin.org
●          Mars, here we come!          ●
██ ████ ███ ██ ████ ███ ██   Join Discord   ██ ███ ████ ██ ███ ████ ██
Undefined31415

Activity: 336
Merit: 253

Gone phishing...

View Profile WWW
September 16, 2017, 12:27:55 AM

If you have individual cards that seem to need a more targeted solution, some individual 120mm or 140mm case fans might be appropriate.

However,  if the entire rig is sitting there wallowing in hot air, it's time to go for a more general "big picture" solution, such as a box fan or two.

If you are dead-set on going with mainstream chassis fans, then powering them directly off of the PSU via molex or SATA should be fine. At the risk of getting into the paradox of the heap, if you were already running your PSU(s) close enough to the limit for 6 more fans to cause serious problems, you probably needed a better PSU in the first place. (Staying further below the limit is generally better though)

▀██▄ ▄██▀
            ▐█████▌
           ▄███▀███▄
         ▄████▄  ▀███▄
       ▄███▀ ▀██▄  ▀███▄
     ▄███▀  ▄█████▄  ▀███▄
   ▄███▀  ▄███▀ ▀███▄  ▀███▄
  ███▀  ▄████▌   ▐████▄  ▀███
 ███   ██▀  ██▄ ▄██  ▀██   ███
███   ███  ███   ███  ███   ███
███   ███   ███████   ███   ███
 ███   ███▄▄       ▄▄███   ███
  ███▄   ▀▀█████████▀▀   ▄███
   ▀████▄▄           ▄▄████▀
      ▀▀███████████████▀▀
DeepOnion
███
███
███
███
███
███
███
███
███
███
   Anonymity Guaranteed
   Anonymous and Untraceable
   Guard Your Privacy
      ▄▄██████████▄▄
    ▄███▀▀      ▀▀█▀   ▄▄
   ███▀              ▄███
  ███              ▄███▀   ▄▄
 ███▌  ▄▄▄▄      ▄███▀   ▄███
▐███  ██████   ▄███▀   ▄███▀
███▌ ███  ███▄███▀   ▄███▀
███▌ ███   ████▀   ▄███▀
███▌  ███   █▀   ▄███▀  ███
▐███   ███     ▄███▀   ███
 ███▌   ███  ▄███▀     ███
  ███    ██████▀      ███
   ███▄             ▄███
    ▀███▄▄       ▄▄███▀
      ▀▀███████████▀▀
64dimensions

Activity: 578
Merit: 508

View Profile
September 16, 2017, 12:36:35 AM

This is a great whole rig box fan from home depot: http://www.homedepot.com/p/Lasko-20-in-Power-Plus-Box-Fan-B20540/300202629

I originally went with the cheaper Lasko and am now going with this one.
N0pr3s3n7 (OP)

View Profile
September 16, 2017, 01:25:04 AM

This is a great whole rig box fan from home depot: http://www.homedepot.com/p/Lasko-20-in-Power-Plus-Box-Fan-B20540/300202629

there is some problem with the link

If you have individual cards that seem to need a more targeted solution, some individual 120mm or 140mm case fans might be appropriate.

However,  if the entire rig is sitting there wallowing in hot air, it's time to go for a more general "big picture" solution, such as a box fan or two.

If you are dead-set on going with mainstream chassis fans, then powering them directly off of the PSU via molex or SATA should be fine. At the risk of getting into the paradox of the heap, if you were already running your PSU(s) close enough to the limit for 6 more fans to cause serious problems, you probably needed a better PSU in the first place. (Staying further below the limit is generally better though)

well kind of indeed. I got few cards I had to lower the power limit because they were arround 7-8 C  hotter than the other ones.  Also how to power up for example 6 or more 3 pin fans ?

If I were you, I would do just like me and bu a BIG fan that you'd put in front of your rig, such as : https://www.amazon.com/Holmes-HBF2010A-WM-21-Inch-4-5-Inch-Speed-Settings/dp/B0037W4YD2/ref=sr_1_4?ie=UTF8&qid=1505517954&sr=8-4&keywords=fan It will cool your rig in a proper way... enjoy Wink

right now my rigs are suitable for this I've already have such fans I used in hotter days . But problem is , since rigs are getting more and more I need to use less space for them e.g. for example I want to build case , that can be put on the top of the other , that for example 2 rigs can use the space of 1 rig (and even more in future , since I might build more rigs) . I have perfect idea how to do this , but problem would be that cards will be realigned in  a lane - next to each other with arround 5 to 8 cm distance.   EXample is this https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=2059520.0  just instead I will build it on my own with other materials , just thinking what would be the best way to cooler the cards in such a rig , and also how to power up for example 6 or 9 or 12 case fans with 3 pins ? Thanks Smiley

Vann

Activity: 1036
Merit: 606

View Profile
September 16, 2017, 01:57:45 AM

That's the same fan I use. It's more powerful and has better airflow than a regular box . Only bad thing is there is a dead air spot in the center, so the cards in the middle of the fan will get warmer. It uses ~75W on low.
Lumining

Activity: 322
Merit: 100

View Profile
September 16, 2017, 02:32:08 AM

1. How to add 6 or more fans to my motherboard ? where to get power from ? All i've found over the internet seems to be some fan controllers which are meant to be for a PC case , not for rigs
2. What fans to search for ? How big ? And how much CFM should they be ? ( I got GTX 1060/1070/1080 /1080ti ) that being said they do not pull A LOT OF power , but they take some)

I will appreciate every opinion ! Thanks very much , also links to proposed products would be appreciated Smiley

1. You can buy a splitter with 6 4pin ports for PWM fans, than you only need to connect one cable to your motherboard and you get the power from a molex connector on the splitter.
2. 120mm should be good, the bigger the better. More CFM = more noise, when you're independant of noise, go with the max, because of PWM your motherboard will be able to adjust their speed.

★ ★ ★ ★ ★   DeepOnion    Anonymous and Untraceable Cryptocurrency    TOR INTEGRATED & SECURED   ★ ★ ★ ★ ★
› › › › ›  JOIN THE NEW AIRDROP ✈️        VERIFIED WITH DEEPVAULT  ‹ ‹ ‹ ‹ ‹
▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬   ANN  WHITEPAPER  FACEBOOK  TWITTER  YOUTUBE  FORUM   ▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬
64dimensions

Activity: 578
Merit: 508

View Profile
September 16, 2017, 04:33:45 AM

That's the same fan I use. It's more powerful and has better airflow than a regular box . Only bad thing is there is a dead air spot in the center, so the cards in the middle of the fan will get warmer. It uses ~75W on low.

To handle the dead air spot I employ the following tweaks:

a) Uniformly position/hang 6 GPU's over 3 feet.

b) Offset the fan center from the center of the GPU line.

c) Run this fan at max (3) in summer.
N0pr3s3n7 (OP)

View Profile
September 16, 2017, 11:33:34 AM

What about this one : https://www.amazon.de/gp/product/B0047CNXLK/ref=s9u_simh_gw_i3?ie=UTF8&pd_rd_i=B0047CNXLK&pd_rd_r=WC2Y32GYBT7118P191F1&pd_rd_w=By9t9&pd_rd_wg=CyBuX&pf_rd_m=A3JWKAKR8XB7XF&pf_rd_s=&pf_rd_r=Y4ZBR9JP88D12Q1KZZHM&pf_rd_t=36701&pf_rd_p=c210947d-c955-4398-98aa-d1dc27e614f1&pf_rd_i=desktop

any one have opinion on it ?
rockie2000

Activity: 126
Merit: 100

Waves address 3PP4npcijfECsxrf4Ms4rSxPuZq1kamGn7H

View Profile
September 16, 2017, 12:14:57 PM

To handle the dead air spot I employ the following tweaks:

a) Uniformly position/hang 6 GPU's over 3 feet.

b) Offset the fan center from the center of the GPU line.

c) Run this fan at max (3) in summer.

Thank you for the tips!

▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓    ▶▶▶▶ Get Your Free Tokens Now ◀◀◀◀  First PoS Smart Contract Token
    PoSToken       Free Airdrop ●  No-ICO ●  100% Annual Interest First Year
▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓    ANN ●  WebSite  ●  Twitter  ●  Slack  ●  Whitepaper
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: