Bitcoin Forum
April 26, 2024, 01:10:50 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1] 2 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Governments in a realistic light.  (Read 8663 times)
smellyBobby (OP)

Activity: 112
Merit: 10

View Profile
June 24, 2011, 05:34:24 AM

"A further examination of the 39-year period extending from the end of the Nixon administration until 2008 shows the Swedish economy, known for its high taxes and heavy regulation, growing at a significantly higher rate than the US."

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2011/06/22/stocks-socialized-us-countries-reagan_n_882270.html

They have a good Justice Dragon.

I need a job!!!!

Justice Dragons: http://forum.bitcoin.org/index.php?topic=16351.msg267881#msg267881

Help me buy deodorant!!! 17bmVSoD8QNBLaPDRAXkFdapBPdgA72YjB

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Even if you use Bitcoin through Tor, the way transactions are handled by the network makes anonymity difficult to achieve. Do not expect your transactions to be anonymous unless you really know what you're doing.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
benjamindees
Legendary

Activity: 1330
Merit: 1000

View Profile
June 24, 2011, 06:22:41 AM

It's not surprising that Nixon's removal of gold backing from US dollars harmed our economy.  But replacing it with a social service economy backed by government force is not really "growth".

Civil Liberty Through Complex Mathematics
smellyBobby (OP)

View Profile
June 24, 2011, 06:26:42 AM

Is that your reason for describing the difference in share-market rates of growth?

I need a job!!!!

Justice Dragons: http://forum.bitcoin.org/index.php?topic=16351.msg267881#msg267881

em3rgentOrdr

Activity: 434
Merit: 251

youtube.com/ericfontainejazz now accepts bitcoin

View Profile WWW
June 24, 2011, 06:27:27 AM

"A further examination of the 39-year period extending from the end of the Nixon administration until 2008 shows the Swedish economy, known for its high taxes and heavy regulation, growing at a significantly higher rate than the US."

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2011/06/22/stocks-socialized-us-countries-reagan_n_882270.html

And the Swedish haven't been fighting multiple wars half-way across the world since Nixon administration.  And the Swedish are relatively cultural homogeneous.  SO what?

"We will not find a solution to political problems in cryptography, but we can win a major battle in the arms race and gain a new territory of freedom for several years.

Governments are good at cutting off the heads of a centrally controlled networks, but pure P2P networks are holding their own."
smellyBobby (OP)

View Profile
June 24, 2011, 06:31:44 AM

Because the Swedish aren't stupid.

I need a job!!!!

em3rgentOrdr

View Profile WWW
June 24, 2011, 06:38:56 AM

Because the Swedish aren't stupid.

Non sequitur.

"We will not find a solution to political problems in cryptography, but we can win a major battle in the arms race and gain a new territory of freedom for several years.

Governments are good at cutting off the heads of a centrally controlled networks, but pure P2P networks are holding their own."
smellyBobby (OP)

View Profile
June 24, 2011, 06:43:09 AM

And the Swedish haven't been fighting multiple wars half-way across the world since Nixon administration.  And the Swedish are relatively cultural homogeneous.  SO what?

ignoratio elenchi

I need a job!!!!

em3rgentOrdr

View Profile WWW
June 24, 2011, 06:46:02 AM

ignoratio elenchi

Wrong.  It's entirely relevant, among other issues not mentioned.  Basically the Swedish economy hasn't been drained by the massive costs of war.

smellyBobby (OP)

View Profile
June 24, 2011, 06:49:31 AM

The onus of proof is upon you to show that war is the reason why the U.S. stock-market has under-performed.

I need a job!!!!

em3rgentOrdr

View Profile WWW
June 24, 2011, 06:54:53 AM

The onus of proof is upon you to show that war is the reason why the U.S. stock-market has under-performed.

No.  Neither this nor your original thesis can be proven.

smellyBobby (OP)

View Profile
June 24, 2011, 07:02:39 AM

So you are saying there is a causality between government and stock-market returns?

I need a job!!!!

em3rgentOrdr

View Profile WWW
June 24, 2011, 07:07:28 AM

So you are saying there is a causality between government and stock-market returns?

I have no idea where this is going.  Seems like you are going in circles.  I must, reluctantly, assume you are a troll at this point.

benjamindees
Legendary

Activity: 1330
Merit: 1000

View Profile
June 24, 2011, 11:31:43 AM

Is that your reason for describing the difference in share-market rates of growth?

Okay now that I've read the article I'm not sure what this is trying to prove.  Stock price is based on thousands of factors most of which have nothing to do with real economic growth.

Civil Liberty Through Complex Mathematics
smellyBobby (OP)

View Profile
June 24, 2011, 12:40:52 PM

So your saying that the growth of a company's value is in no way related to the economic growth of a country? Did I misunderstand?

I need a job!!!!

AyeYo

Activity: 154
Merit: 103

View Profile
June 24, 2011, 01:11:03 PM

This isn't news to anyone that doesn't have their head up their ass (so it'll be news to a lot of people on this board). Properly, centrally planned economies have been outpacing the growth of more "capitalist" economies like the US for... ever.

Interesting note:  These wars all over the world that the US is involved in, those ARE results of the capitalist economy.  The big, greedy defense contractors are big and greedy and want more money, so they set their cronies up in government positions and off to war we go.

Enjoying the dose of reality or getting a laugh out of my posts? Feel free to toss me a penny or two, everyone else seems to be doing it! 1Kn8NqvbCC83zpvBsKMtu4sjso5PjrQEu1
LastBattle

Activity: 84

View Profile
June 24, 2011, 01:47:35 PM

Yeah, Sweden.
In truth, the Swedish economy's best years are long gone. Between 1870 and 1950, average growth in Swedish GDP and productivity was, by some measures, the fastest in the world. In 1970 Sweden was the fourth-richest member of the OECD club of industrial countries. But for most of the past 50 years the story has been one of relative decline, including a deep recession in the early 1990s (see chart 1). By 1998 Sweden had fallen to 16th in the OECD rankings. It has since climbed back a bit, but the relatively strong growth of the past decade should be seen mainly as a rebound from the 1990s trough.
Set against this are two big weaknesses. The worst is employment. Par Nuder, the finance minister, makes much of Sweden's having the highest employment rate in the European Union after Denmark, at just over 70%. The official unemployment rate is 6%. But Sweden is a world champion at massaging its jobless figures, which exclude those in government make-work programmes, those forced into early retirement and students who would prefer to be working. Sweden's suspiciously large number of workers on long-term sick leave are counted as working, and included in the employment rate (sickness benefits account for 16% of public spending). Absenteeism is common.

Earlier this year the McKinsey Global Institute, a think-tank, studied Sweden's labour market. It found that the rate of employment among working-age people had declined in the past decade. Indeed, Magnus Henrekson of the Research Institute of Industrial Economics says that Sweden has created almost no net private-sector jobs since 1950* (see chart 2). Youth unemployment is among the highest in Europe. The McKinsey boffins conclude that the “true” unemployment rate is around 15-17%, which puts Sweden among the worst job-fillers in the EU. It translates into more than 1m people without work.
But the biggest problem for immigrants, as for young Swedes, is work. A study of comparable Somali groups in Sweden and Minnesota found that less than a third of working-age Somalis in Sweden had jobs, half the share in Minnesota.

In other words, Sweden has had no actual growth in the private sector since 1950 and is living off of past prosperity caused by no wars and low government spending.

Yeah, great example of success.

You're standing on a flagstone running with blood, alone and so very lonely because you can't choose but you had to

I take tips to: 14sF7NNGJzXvoBcfbLR6N4Exy8umCAqdBd
dannickherpderp

Activity: 33
Merit: 0

View Profile
June 24, 2011, 08:02:44 PM

This isn't news to anyone that doesn't have their head up their ass (so it'll be news to a lot of people on this board). Properly, centrally planned economies have been outpacing the growth of more "capitalist" economies like the US for... ever.

Interesting note:  These wars all over the world that the US is involved in, those ARE results of the capitalist economy.  The big, greedy defense contractors are big and greedy and want more money, so they set their cronies up in government positions and off to war we go.

no.

Defense companies make a product, same as anybody else.  They advertise to those who want to buy it, and convince them to hand over money.  The bad guy here is not the defense contractor, but the government because the government is unique as a customer in that it can take money by force or make it at will.  Nobody else can do that.

The only way to prevent this pattern is to completely change human nature (NOT GONNA HAPPEN) or strip the government of its power (more likely)
AyeYo

Activity: 154
Merit: 103

View Profile
June 24, 2011, 08:16:04 PM

no.

Defense companies make a product, same as anybody else.  They advertise to those who want to buy it, and convince them to hand over money.  The bad guy here is not the defense contractor, but the government because the government is unique as a customer in that it can take money by force or make it at will.  Nobody else can do that.

The only way to prevent this pattern is to completely change human nature (NOT GONNA HAPPEN) or strip the government of its power (more likely)

LOLOLOL

Enjoying the dose of reality or getting a laugh out of my posts? Feel free to toss me a penny or two, everyone else seems to be doing it! 1Kn8NqvbCC83zpvBsKMtu4sjso5PjrQEu1
GideonGono

Activity: 1988
Merit: 501

★Bitvest.io★ Play Plinko or Invest!

View Profile WWW
June 24, 2011, 08:20:20 PM

Don't you think it's ironic that a staunch supporter of central planning is supporting a currency that aims to dislodge central planning?

.BIG WINNER!.
[15.00000000 BTC]

▄████████████████████▄
██████████████████████
██████████▀▀██████████
█████████░░░░█████████
██████████▄▄██████████
███████▀▀████▀▀███████
██████░░░░██░░░░██████
███████▄▄████▄▄███████
████▀▀████▀▀████▀▀████
███░░░░██░░░░██░░░░███
████▄▄████▄▄████▄▄████
██████████████████████

▀████████████████████▀
▄████████████████████▄
██████████████████████
█████▀▀█▀▀▀▀▀▀██▀▀████
█████░░░░░░░░░░░░░████
█████░░░░░░░░░░░░▄████
█████░░▄███▄░░░░██████
█████▄▄███▀░░░░▄██████
█████████░░░░░░███████
████████░░░░░░░███████
███████░░░░░░░░███████
███████▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄███████

██████████████████████
▀████████████████████▀
▄████████████████████▄
███████████████▀▀▀▀▀▀▀
███████████▀▀▄▄█░░░░░█
█████████▀░░█████░░░░█
███████▀░░░░░████▀░░░▀
██████░░░░░░░░▀▄▄█████
█████░▄░░░░░▄██████▀▀█
████░████▄░███████░░░░
███░█████░█████████░░█
███░░░▀█░██████████░░█
███░░░░░░████▀▀██▀░░░░
███░░░░░░███░░░░░░░░░░

██░▄▄▄▄░████▄▄██▄░░░░
████████████▀▀▀▀▀▀▀██
█████████████░█▀▀▀█░███
██████████▀▀░█▀░░░▀█░▀▀
███████▀░▄▄█░█░░░░░█░█▄
████▀░▄▄████░▀█░░░█▀░██
███░▄████▀▀░▄░▀█░█▀░▄░▀
█▀░███▀▀▀░░███░▀█▀░███░
▀░███▀░░░░░████▄░▄████░
░███▀░░░░░░░█████████░░
░███░░░░░░░░░███████░░░
███▀░██░░░░░░▀░▄▄▄░▀░░░
███░██████▄▄░▄█████▄░▄▄

██░████████░███████░█
▄████████████████████▄
████████▀▀░░░▀▀███████
███▀▀░░░░░▄▄▄░░░░▀▀▀██
██░▀▀▄▄░░░▀▀▀░░░▄▄▀▀██
██░▄▄░░▀▀▄▄░▄▄▀▀░░░░██
██░▀▀░░░░░░█░░░░░██░██
██░░░▄▄░░░░█░██░░░░░██
██░░░▀▀░░░░█░░░░░░░░██
██░░░░░▄▄░░█░░░░░██░██
██▄░░░░▀▀░░█░██░░░░░██
█████▄▄░░░░█░░░░▄▄████
█████████▄▄█▄▄████████

▀████████████████████▀

Rainbot
Daily Quests
Faucet
enmaku

Activity: 742
Merit: 500

View Profile
June 24, 2011, 08:21:13 PM

ignoratio elenchi

I like this. I think I'm going to start responding to others' posts with nothing more than the name of the logical fallacy they are committing. Let's all do this - let's make this the next big meme and pound some logic through those thick skulls out there... WHO'S WITH ME?!?!
Pages: [1] 2 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: