Bitcoin Forum
May 09, 2024, 08:10:20 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1] 2 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: MTGox: Not previous pre-hack price, do it at current price  (Read 2494 times)
bitsalame (OP)
Donator

Activity: 714
Merit: 510

Preaching the gospel of Satoshi

View Profile
June 24, 2011, 05:34:47 AM

I think it is ridiculous to go to pre-hack prices, that is totally arbitrary.
The world kept revolving and the market has recovered in rival sites.
MtGox should also adapt itself to the current market price to be actually fair.

I don't know what you guys here think about that, but I think that would be the fairer option.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
"You Asked For Change, We Gave You Coins" -- casascius
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
finack

Activity: 126
Merit: 10

View Profile
June 24, 2011, 05:36:31 AM

They've said the order book will be cleared, so there won't be a price at all until new bids and asks get posted by people who have logged on since its been back up.
FreeMoney
Legendary

Activity: 1246
Merit: 1014

Strength in numbers

View Profile WWW
June 24, 2011, 05:37:35 AM

They've said the order book will be cleared, so there won't be a price at all until new bids and asks get posted by people who have logged on since its been back up.

OMG, bitcoins will be priceless!

Play Bitcoin Poker at sealswithclubs.eu. We're active and open to everyone.
wolftaur

Activity: 112

View Profile
June 24, 2011, 05:37:55 AM

The information coming out about orders is basically that the standing orders are all going to be wiped. Which means that the only reference that would really be there for pre-hack prices would be, well, the "Last" thing in the ticker...

Price is gonna be set by where asks and bids cross paths, not by anything Mt.Gox says. They might well post a target as a "starting point" for people, but ... the price is, as always, going to be if someone is willing to sell their coins for what someone is willing to pay for them, and so on.

"MOOOOOOOM! SOME MYTHICAL WOLFBEAST GUY IS MAKING FUN OF ME ON THE INTERNET!!!!"
Bit_Happy
Legendary

Activity: 2100
Merit: 1040

A Great Time to Start Something!

View Profile
June 24, 2011, 05:42:40 AM

OMG, bitcoins will be priceless!

+1 You have come with wit, what will you do with it?

Valalvax

Activity: 437
Merit: 250

View Profile
June 24, 2011, 05:46:22 AM

Also, while I haven't closely monitored the situation, I haven't yet seen MtGox perfectly line up with Tradehill whenever I checked both at the same time (which isn't often, because I think Tradehill has ridiculous fees and it seemed like a pita to get money there)
bitsalame (OP)
Donator

Activity: 714
Merit: 510

Preaching the gospel of Satoshi

View Profile
June 24, 2011, 05:58:03 AM

Also, while I haven't closely monitored the situation, I haven't yet seen MtGox perfectly line up with Tradehill whenever I checked both at the same time (which isn't often, because I think Tradehill has ridiculous fees and it seemed like a pita to get money there)

pita?

Btw, I was talking about this announcement:

Huge Bitcoin sell off due to a compromised account - rollback

The bitcoin will be back to around 17.5$/BTC after we rollback all trades that have happened after the huge Bitcoin sale that happened on June 20th near 3:00am (JST).

One account with a lot of coins was compromised and whoever stole it (using a HK based IP to login) first sold all the coins in there, to buy those again just after, and then tried to withdraw the coins. The $1000/day withdraw limit was active for this account and the hacker could only get out with $1000 worth of coins.

Apart from this no account was compromised, and nothing was lost. Due to the large impact this had on the Bitcoin market, we will rollback every trade which happened since the big sale, and ensure this account is secure before opening access again.

This price will be artificial tomorrow when the market opens.
Anyway, I don't see many solutions anyway.
dayfall

Activity: 312

View Profile
June 24, 2011, 06:01:49 AM

I am going to try to get in first and set a buy order for 0.001 BTC at $2000.  Yep I would pay 2 bucks to have that data point show up.  I am going to try and sell a BTC at $2000 also, if anyone wants to buy.

Think about it, the way Bitcoin is being reported on these days (terribly misrepresented) We might can get them to report that Bitcons are trading for $2000.
Bit_Happy
Legendary

Activity: 2100
Merit: 1040

A Great Time to Start Something!

View Profile
June 24, 2011, 06:02:30 AM

pita?

The bitcoin will be back to around 17.5$/BTC after we rollback all trades that have happened after the huge Bitcoin sale that happened on June 20th near 3:00am (JST).

One account with a lot of coins was compromised and whoever stole it (using a HK based IP to login) first sold all the coins in there, to buy those again just after, and then tried to withdraw the coins. The $1000/day withdraw limit was active for this account and the hacker could only get out with $1000 worth of coins.

Apart from this no account was compromised, and nothing was lost. Due to the large impact this had on the Bitcoin market, we will rollback every trade which happened since the big sale, and ensure this account is secure before opening access again.

That was poorly worded and should have been edited. They really intended to say all the super-cheap purchases are void (roll-back)
When the market finally opens bid/ask will set the price.

Capitan

Activity: 112

View Profile
June 24, 2011, 06:44:56 AM

pita?

The price is set by ask and bid. How can the exchange declare an artificial price. The only bad thing they could do along those lines would be to rollback the order queue back to the state it was in right before the hack/crash. Then you'd still have orders from last week where people were trying to buy and sell around ~17.5. It would suck for them to do that, but I don't think they are. I think I read other people mention that they are clearing the orders queue before going back online.
CryptoCommodity

Activity: 80

View Profile
June 24, 2011, 06:47:11 AM

It would be interesting if there was a sell order for 424242.42424242@17.5 when the market opens up.
MrAnderson

Activity: 81

View Profile
June 24, 2011, 06:52:20 AM

I'm getting conflicting stories here.

The official stated start price will be $17.5, why are others saying the price will start at .000001?

>>> 1BcfL1QAZsxtpd92YYsbvDyih45mwA9xSo << Willing to endure the cringe-worthy Australian stereotypes for donations.

I'll wrestle a crocodile, show you my knife, throw shrimp on the BBQ, F**k your wife. Tongue
CryptoCommodity

Activity: 80

View Profile
June 24, 2011, 06:57:31 AM

There will be no starting price.  The market will set the price by placing buy and sell orders.

I would expect when the market opens the best buy offer you will see is ~$5 and the best sell you will see is ~$20.  The spread will gradually lower until orders begin to be matched.  That will be the new market price.
dev^

Activity: 28
Merit: 0

View Profile
June 24, 2011, 07:00:21 AM

There will be no starting price.  The market will set the price by placing buy and sell orders.

I would expect when the market opens the best buy offer you will see is ~$5 and the best sell you will see is ~$20.  The spread will gradually lower until orders begin to be matched.  That will be the new market price.

This.
And nothing other, this actually says how (any) market works. Mt. Gox can't give any price (in an auction model), they just can set the initial ticker value (but this says nothing).
FreeMoney
Legendary

Activity: 1246
Merit: 1014

Strength in numbers

View Profile WWW
June 24, 2011, 07:14:34 AM

The LAST price will be 17.50. The next trade will happen at whatever price two people agree.

Play Bitcoin Poker at sealswithclubs.eu. We're active and open to everyone.
dooglus
Legendary

Activity: 2940
Merit: 1330

View Profile
June 24, 2011, 07:29:46 AM

I am going to try to get in first and set a buy order for 0.001 BTC at $2000.  Yep I would pay 2 bucks to have that data point show up.  I am going to try and sell a BTC at $2000 also, if anyone wants to buy.

That wouldn't be the most anyone has paid for bitcoins.  This morning someone paid $8000/BTC on https://britcoin.co.uk/ .  Check the chart: http://bitcoincharts.com/charts/britcoinGBP#rg60zczsg2011-06-20zeg2011-06-23ztgSzm1g10zm2g25 (5000 GBP = 8000 USD, pretty much).

From the Britcoin trades API:

Code:
 {"date": 1308779642, "price": 10.1702, "amount": 0.94},
 {"date": 1308780181, "price": 10.2041, "amount": 0.00599566},
 {"date": 1308780782, "price": 500.0000, "amount": 0.01},
 {"date": 1308780841, "price": 5000.0000, "amount": 0.001},
 {"date": 1308781381, "price": 10.2041, "amount": 0.48400469},
 {"date": 1308781441, "price": 10.0000, "amount": 0.8},

Just-Dice                 ██             
          ██████████         
      ██████████████████     
  ██████████████████████████ 
██████████████████████████████
    ██████████████████████   
        ██████████████       
            ██████           
   Play or Invest                 ██             
          ██████████         
      ██████████████████     
  ██████████████████████████ 
    ██████████████████████   
        ██████████████       
            ██████           
   1% House Edge
dayfall

Activity: 312

View Profile
June 24, 2011, 03:23:43 PM

I am going to try to get in first and set a buy order for 0.001 BTC at $2000.

Wait, my idea won't work.  Ok, we just need to start trading at $30/BTC.  Yeah, I'll put in an order $3 for 0.1 BTC.
FooDSt4mP

Activity: 182
Merit: 100

View Profile
June 24, 2011, 03:46:04 PM

Technically they could set the price by plopping down a huge bid and a huge ask with a narrow spread.  They have proven they have the funds to do this.  However, if they did this at a price significantly different from the other exchanges, people would quickly take advantage of the arbitrage opportunity.

As we slide down the banister of life, this is just another splinter in our ass.
imperi

Activity: 196
Merit: 101

View Profile
June 24, 2011, 03:48:18 PM

Bitcoins will have an undefined value, which is equal to infinity by the way.
hazek
Legendary

Activity: 1078
Merit: 1002

View Profile
June 24, 2011, 03:49:09 PM

MagicTux has said he will not enforce anything. People will be free to place bids and asks as they please before the trading resumes.

My personality type: INTJ - please forgive my weaknesses (Not naturally in tune with others feelings; may be insensitive at times, tend to respond to conflict with logic and reason, tend to believe I'm always right)

If however you enjoyed my post: 15j781DjuJeVsZgYbDVt2NZsGrWKRWFHpp
Pages: [1] 2 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: