Bitcoin Forum
June 22, 2024, 04:21:22 PM *
News: Voting for pizza day contest

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 2 [3] 4 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Should I sell my Jalapeno? Seems to be working fine, but...  (Read 5740 times)
Rora

Activity: 244
Merit: 250

View Profile
May 29, 2013, 02:51:44 PM

This forum needs a like function. I would like your post. Twice.
BBQKorv

Activity: 280

View Profile
May 29, 2013, 03:11:09 PM

Selling it now if you get a good price would be nice.

5.5Ghs is not going to be that much in a short while, and there is the risk of having to wait for the initial $3k to ROI for too long.
xgtele

Activity: 288

View Profile
May 29, 2013, 03:13:37 PM

canton, let us know what you decided based on these posts  Smiley
minternj

Activity: 434

View Profile
May 29, 2013, 03:16:30 PM

Are those jalapeños powered by geothermal power?

Warning about Nitrogensports.eu
https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=709114.0
xgtele

Activity: 288

View Profile
May 29, 2013, 03:22:16 PM

In Alaska - may be, but in CA or FL -- solar power is just fine Smiley
canton (OP)

Activity: 261
Merit: 285

View Profile WWW
May 29, 2013, 03:54:48 PM

Funny you should ask! In fact, right now (since I'm leaning strongly towards keeping the Jalapeno based on the kind advice offered in this forum post) my current plan is to get the Jalapeno running off of my Raspberry Pi board and solar power. My current solar setup is a 100W panel and a car battery+inverter which isn't quite enough to keep it going 24/7, but I figure if I bump my solar output to about 200W that should cover nighttimes & sets of cloudy days (which are infrequent where I live in New Mexico.)

PS: That photo is from a vacation to Giant's Causeway in Ireland, which is an extraordinary spot with all those stone pentagrams...

More pix: http://tinyurl.com/ogz9tr5
The 4ner
aka newbitcoinqtuser

Activity: 602
Merit: 500

R.I.P Silk Road 1.0

View Profile
May 29, 2013, 03:57:47 PM

Don't mean to doubt, but seriously take a picture with it and upload it. I'd like to see proof of ownership. I'm contemplating purchasing one but am waiting for the community's attitude toward BFL to change.

Totally understandable. See attached undeniable photoshop photographic proof of me with my seven Jalapeños.

(Couldn't resist.)

Ha ha!
Lohoris

Activity: 630

Bitgoblin

View Profile
May 29, 2013, 04:01:11 PM

TL;DR: Kill golden goose, or harvest eggs?
If you sold it, what would you do with the gold earned?

i.e. if you plan to re-invest it into an asset which is yielding higher returns, do it.
otherwise, what's the point?

1LohorisJie8bGGG7X4dCS9MAVsTEbzrhu
DefaultTrust is very BAD.
Gomeler

Activity: 697

View Profile
May 29, 2013, 04:29:44 PM

I'd sell it and hold the BTC*. Purchase additional hardware once someone can ship out product the next day. By then the prices will have plummeted and we'll have a better idea on long-term BTC profitability.

*- assuming you are bullish on BTC. Otherwise hold the resulting USD.
bitman442

Activity: 142
Merit: 100

View Profile
May 29, 2013, 04:54:00 PM

Here is another thing to consider. IMO it will only be a matter of time until someone figures out how to reflash/overclock one of those. If you are adventurous enough to try it and void your (vapour)warranty then that would add a little more value to it. Personally, half the reason I ordered one is for the entertainment value. I've run out of things to screw with on my video card lol.
Bitcoinorama

Activity: 532

View Profile
May 29, 2013, 05:55:39 PM

Here is another thing to consider. IMO it will only be a matter of time until someone figures out how to reflash/overclock one of those. If you are adventurous enough to try it and void your (vapour)warranty then that would add a little more value to it. Personally, half the reason I ordered one is for the entertainment value. I've run out of things to screw with on my video card lol.

Is that not what BFL have done with their +2gh/s firmware upgrade?

Make my day! Say thanks if you found me helpful Smiley BTC Address --->
1487ThaKjezGA6SiE8fvGcxbgJJu6XWtZp
CanaryInTheMine
Donator
Legendary

Activity: 2352
Merit: 1060

between a rock and a block!

View Profile
May 29, 2013, 06:01:31 PM

My BFL Jalapeno has been hashing along nicely for 4 days now at approx 5.5GH/s according to bitminter. At the time of this post, bitminter reports that I've mined exactly 1BTC. Hooray! But now I could use some advice from you veteran miners:

1) Should I just sell my Jalapeno since they are apparently in silly-high demand this week (might be worth about $3,000 USD based on an auction just completed on bitcointalk)

or

2) Should I mine with it and hope that I can mine $3,000 USD worth before the difficulty goes through the roof?

TL;DR: Kill golden goose, or harvest eggs?

I just don't have a good sense of how fast/crazy the difficulty is changing with all these ASICs coming online. I've looked at some charts, but I'm betting folks on this forum have put a lot more thought into this question than I have:

What do you think 5.5GH/s will earn 100 days from now? 0.2BTC/day? Or more like 0.02BTC/day?

what I would do is check the math to see if you should sell for btc and buy avalon chips with proceeds... figure on july/August, then use those chips and turn them into Klondike units and keep hashing Smiley
ewitte

Activity: 98
Merit: 10

View Profile
May 29, 2013, 06:07:12 PM

Definitely sell a good month before the K16's mail out.  The total for 4.5GH/s off those is somewhere around BTC3.  Sell it and start an order for 7-8 of those.

Donations
BTC - 13Lgy6fb4d3nSYEf2nkgBgyBkkhPw8zkPd
LTC - LegzRwyc2Xhu8cqvaW2jwRrqSnhyaYU6gZ
k9quaint
Legendary

Activity: 1190
Merit: 1000

View Profile
May 29, 2013, 06:10:23 PM

If you can sell your Jalapeno for $3000, then consider this:
$3000 can buy 250-300 Avalon chips. Those can hash at 300 x 280MH/s per chip = 84GH/s.
Even if it costs you half of that $3000 to have them put on Klondike boards, you still turn 5GH/s into 42GH/s in 2-3 months.

Bitcoin is backed by the full faith and credit of YouTube comments.
minternj

Activity: 434

View Profile
May 29, 2013, 06:16:08 PM

Funny you should ask! In fact, right now (since I'm leaning strongly towards keeping the Jalapeno based on the kind advice offered in this forum post) my current plan is to get the Jalapeno running off of my Raspberry Pi board and solar power. My current solar setup is a 100W panel and a car battery+inverter which isn't quite enough to keep it going 24/7, but I figure if I bump my solar output to about 200W that should cover nighttimes & sets of cloudy days (which are infrequent where I live in New Mexico.)

PS: That photo is from a vacation to Giant's Causeway in Ireland, which is an extraordinary spot with all those stone pentagrams...

More pix: http://tinyurl.com/ogz9tr5

Nice, I'm thinking about solar too, but panels and battery banks still cost way too much.

btw, i was making an awful joke about them being powered off the rocks they are on since there are no power cables coming off of them.

Oh and if it were me i'd keep it. but that's because I'm a bitcoin enthusiast more than I am a profiteer.

Warning about Nitrogensports.eu
https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=709114.0
bitman442

Activity: 142

View Profile
May 29, 2013, 06:16:57 PM

Yes, if you want to pay for it. Plus is it an upgrade you can buy after the fact or do they have to do it at the factory? Either way I'm sure it won't be too long before someone figures out how to do it at home for free. I haven't looked into it much so pardon my ignorance.
Bitcoinorama

Activity: 532

View Profile
May 29, 2013, 06:19:00 PM

Yes, if you want to pay for it. Plus is it an upgrade you can buy after the fact or do they have to do it at the factory? Either way I'm sure it won't be too long before someone figures out how to do it at home for free. I haven't looked into it much so pardon my ignorance.

That's cool, but it cold potentially net the OP a better price.

Make my day! Say thanks if you found me helpful Smiley BTC Address --->
1487ThaKjezGA6SiE8fvGcxbgJJu6XWtZp
lowlevel

Activity: 159

View Profile
May 29, 2013, 06:25:18 PM

Selling it today and buying 30 BTC with it is the most profitable longterm move...

Yeah, unless paypal or ebay user scams you... I'de just mine and forget about the US$ for a while.

Would you rather talk Altcoins? - https://cryptocointalk.com/
yachtsman

Activity: 51
Merit: 0

View Profile
May 29, 2013, 06:53:27 PM

If you can sell your Jalapeno for $3000, then consider this:
$3000 can buy 250-300 Avalon chips. Those can hash at 300 x 280MH/s per chip = 84GH/s.
Even if it costs you half of that $3000 to have them put on Klondike boards, you still turn 5GH/s into 42GH/s in 2-3 months.

Best advice, probably garnering the most risk. High risk yields higher profits.
buckus69

Activity: 27
Merit: 0

View Profile
May 29, 2013, 06:58:47 PM

Just to throw my .2BTC in here...

At today's difficulty, it would take you around 10-15 days to recoup your initial investment (in $USD).  It'll take you much longer to recoup your BTC investment, but it will probably still be around 6 months to a year.

I'd keep it and mine it if it was me.  But it's not me, it's you.

If you want to sell, you'll make money immediately, but if you keep it it will probably be worth more in BTC over 2-3 years.
Pages: « 1 2 [3] 4 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: