Bitcoin Forum
March 19, 2024, 03:35:49 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 26.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: USB Bitcoin wallet?  (Read 1217 times)
designer24 (OP)

Activity: 57
Merit: 0

View Profile
September 17, 2017, 07:36:32 PM

Hello guys,

I'm a total newbie.
I found two USB bitcoin & altcoin wallet products which claim higher security for your bitcoin wallet address.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/100-BRAND-NEW-Ledger-Nano-S-Crypto-Hardware-Wallet-Bitcoin-Ethereum-Zcash-Dash/112475057208?_trkparms=aid%3D555018%26algo%3DPL.SIM%26ao%3D2%26asc%3D41375%26meid%3Dfa784f88737841bfa4df354438a8ed67%26pid%3D100005%26rk%3D3%26rkt%3D6%26sd%3D282657554698&_trksid=p2047675.c100005.m1851

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Trezor-Hardware-Wallet-Bitcoin-ETH-LTC-BLACK-Authorized-Seller-Fast-Ship-NEW-/222645411953?epid=2219775669&hash=item33d6b36071:g:RPUAAOSwYZ9ZphNe

Is it better to use one of these two devices for storing bitcoin wallet addresses?
I'm not very sure how this thing work really and how to even store mined bitcoins into these devices.

Let me know what you guys think!

Thanks,

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Bitcoin addresses contain a checksum, so it is very unlikely that mistyping an address will cause you to lose money.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.
designer24 (OP)

Activity: 57

View Profile
September 17, 2017, 10:06:40 PM

I heard good feedback on both devices.
I recently bought a Trezor and am very happy with it.

How is it better than software wallet?
and can it really store bitcoin data inside the stick?
does it come with its own software to manage it?
TryNinja
Legendary

Activity: 2772
Merit: 6850

View Profile WWW
September 18, 2017, 02:21:19 AM

How is it better than software wallet?
It's called hardware wallet and yes, it is more secure.

A regular wallet is susceptible to malwares because your private keys are stored in your hard drive, which means that any malware may steal your private keys or wallet file. That's not the case with Trezor or Ledger, where your private keys will never leave the hardware. The client that can be installed in any PC, will send transaction requests to the hardware, where your transaction will be signed with the private key - without touching the computer - and sent back to the computer to be broadcasted.

does it come with its own software to manage it?
There are a few supported wallets that can be used with both devices. Trezor and Ledger have their own softwares and can be used with Mycelium/Electrum/other major wallets.

..JAMBLER.io..Create Your Bitcoin Mixing
Business Now for   F R E E 
▄█████████████████████████████
█████████████████████████
████▀████████████████████
███▀█████▄█▀███▀▀▀██████
██▀█████▄█▄██████████████
██▄▄████▀▄▄▄▀▀▀▀▀▄▄██████
█████▄▄▄██████████▀▄████
█████▀▄█▄██████▀█▄█████
███████▀▄█▀█▄██▀█▄███████
█████████▄█▀▄█▀▄█████████
▀█████████████████████████████
█████████████████████████████████████████████████
      OUR      
PARTNERS

████▄
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
████▀
████████▀▀█████▀▀████████
█████▀█████████████▀█████
████████████████████████
███████████████▄█████████
███████████████▀█████████
████████████████████████
█████▄█████████████▄█████
████████▄▄█████▄▄████████
   INVEST   
BITCOIN

████▄
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
████▀
eckmar
Legendary

Activity: 1878
Merit: 1038

Telegram: https://t.me/eckmar

View Profile
September 22, 2017, 10:21:01 PM

I own Trezor so i can speak only for that wallet.  It does not only protect your private keys but you are peotected against other methods of attack too. Before you can send tx you must confirm it with device with ability to check address. Also pin numbers ae scrambled so even if your pc is infected or someone is watching your screen, your money is safe.
john2231

Activity: 924
Merit: 1001

View Profile
September 22, 2017, 11:00:25 PM

I own Trezor so i can speak only for that wallet.  It does not only protect your private keys but you are peotected against other methods of attack too. Before you can send tx you must confirm it with device with ability to check address. Also pin numbers ae scrambled so even if your pc is infected or someone is watching your screen, your money is safe.
This is the good thing for trezor they can prevent to allow viruses in your trezor hardware wallet this is most secured than  ledger nano base on other reviews but i heard that there is issue about trezor in the past few month ago or weeks ago that trezor is hackeable so i don't think it is really safe but they are always updating the firmware for security reason ..
Hope this will never happen again so it will be still good as great hardware wallet and ledger nano are also good protected also for viruses but not in keylogger ..
OmegaStarScream
Staff
Legendary

Activity: 3416
Merit: 6080

View Profile
September 24, 2017, 05:29:57 PM

It's more like a hardware device then a USB but anyway, the first rule is to never buy through eBay, always buy  through the site of the company (Trezor.io and Ledgerwallet.com) because the device could be tempered with. Both are great qualities, in fact, they are the only hardware wallets I would recommend, very safe If you have large amounts to store and you are worried about an infected phone or computer.

█▀▀▀

█▄▄▄
▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀
e
▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄
█████████████
████████████▄███
██▐███████▄█████▀
█████████▄████▀
███▐████▄███▀
████▐██████▀
█████▀█████
███████████▄
████████████▄
██▄█████▀█████▄
▄█████████▀█████▀
███████████▀██▀
████▀█████████
▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀
c.h.
▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄
▀▀▀█

▄▄▄█
▄██████▄▄▄
█████████████▄▄
███████████████
███████████████
███████████████
███████████████
███░░█████████
███▌▐█████████
█████████████
███████████▀
██████████▀
████████▀
▀██▀▀
BitcoinSupremo
Copper Member

Activity: 1414
Merit: 529

View Profile
September 24, 2017, 05:48:13 PM

You have come across two of the most secure wallets out there of all time until know, Ledger Nano S and Trezor. Both are hardware wallets and if you are looking to buy one , do not take chances buy from the official website of the one you want to buy. You cannot predict what the seller has done to the firmware before selling it to you.
helen_davis87

Activity: 28

View Profile
September 27, 2017, 10:51:14 AM

It's more like a hardware device then a USB but anyway, the first rule is to never buy through eBay, always buy  through the site of the company (Trezor.io and Ledgerwallet.com) because the device could be tempered with. Both are great qualities, in fact, they are the only hardware wallets I would recommend, very safe If you have large amounts to store and you are worried about an infected phone or computer.

Really? I didn't think about it, although it makes sense. I've only been in the whole cryptocurrency thing for a very short period of time, so thanks a lot.
While we are on the topic, how common is bitcoin scam, in terms of tempering with the hardware? Would like to hear about someone elses mistakes, before making my own )
OmegaStarScream
Staff
Legendary

Activity: 3416
Merit: 6080

View Profile
September 27, 2017, 12:00:24 PM

Really? I didn't think about it, although it makes sense. I've only been in the whole cryptocurrency thing for a very short period of time, so thanks a lot.
While we are on the topic, how common is bitcoin scam, in terms of tempering with the hardware? Would like to hear about someone elses mistakes, before making my own )

I never heard of any scam myself honestly but that's probably due to the fact that almost everyone buys them from the company itself or from Amazon (not third party sellers) but it's definitely possible to play with the hardware. I see no reason on why you should take the risk for large amounts of money, just buy them from Trezor or Ledger directly and If you can't get them shipped to you, use a reship company.

█▀▀▀

█▄▄▄
▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀
e
▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄
█████████████
████████████▄███
██▐███████▄█████▀
█████████▄████▀
███▐████▄███▀
████▐██████▀
█████▀█████
███████████▄
████████████▄
██▄█████▀█████▄
▄█████████▀█████▀
███████████▀██▀
████▀█████████
▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀
c.h.
▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄
▀▀▀█

▄▄▄█
▄██████▄▄▄
█████████████▄▄
███████████████
███████████████
███████████████
███████████████
███░░█████████
███▌▐█████████
█████████████
███████████▀
██████████▀
████████▀
▀██▀▀
TryNinja
Legendary

Activity: 2772
Merit: 6850

View Profile WWW
September 27, 2017, 04:58:15 PM

I never heard of any scam myself honestly but that's probably due to the fact that almost everyone buys them from the company itself or from Amazon (not third party sellers) but it's definitely possible to play with the hardware. I see no reason on why you should take the risk for large amounts of money, just buy them from Trezor or Ledger directly and If you can't get them shipped to you, use a reship company.
It's actually not that easy to tamper a hardware wallet (or at least a Ledger Wallet);

It is not possible to replace your Ledger Nano by a compromised one. So even if your package is intercepted on the way to your house, you won't have to fear any tampering.
[...]
The Chrome app knows the public key and can verify the signature. If an attacker switched the Nano with a replica running a rogue firmware, it wouldn’t pass the attestation test and would immediatly be rejected as non genuine.

There is absolutely no way that an attacker could replace the firmware and make it pass attestation, without knowing the Ledger private key.
Source: http://support.ledgerwallet.com/knowledge_base/topics/what-if-someone-tampers-my-ledger-wallet

About Trezor, I'm not sure if they have any kind of similar mechanism against tampering, but they do have seals at the box where it comes the device.

..JAMBLER.io..Create Your Bitcoin Mixing
Business Now for   F R E E 
████▀████████████████████
███▀█████▄█▀███▀▀▀██████
██▀█████▄█▄██████████████
██▄▄████▀▄▄▄▀▀▀▀▀▄▄██████
█████▄▄▄██████████▀▄████
█████▀▄█▄██████▀█▄█████
███████▀▄█▀█▄██▀█▄███████
█████████▄█▀▄█▀▄█████████
      OUR      
PARTNERS

████▄
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
████▀
████████▀▀█████▀▀████████
█████▀█████████████▀█████
████████████████████████
███████████████▄█████████
███████████████▀█████████
████████████████████████
█████▄█████████████▄█████
████████▄▄█████▄▄████████
   INVEST   
BITCOIN

████▄
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
████▀
helen_davis87

View Profile
October 03, 2017, 09:24:49 AM

I actually bought mine from a third party reseller. Amazon products tend to be very overpriced. And buying directly is difficult due to shipement. So I've decided to buy all my hardware from a reseller. I know that there is a risk associated with it, but nevertheless it works. Not all of them are scamers. Some try to make a ligit living out of this, but the general attitude towards resellers is very negative.
XXX_BTC1@

View Profile
October 26, 2017, 01:28:45 PM

Hello guys,

I'm a total newbie.
I found two USB bitcoin & altcoin wallet products which claim higher security for your bitcoin wallet address.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/100-BRAND-NEW-Ledger-Nano-S-Crypto-Hardware-Wallet-Bitcoin-Ethereum-Zcash-Dash/112475057208?_trkparms=aid%3D555018%26algo%3DPL.SIM%26ao%3D2%26asc%3D41375%26meid%3Dfa784f88737841bfa4df354438a8ed67%26pid%3D100005%26rk%3D3%26rkt%3D6%26sd%3D282657554698&_trksid=p2047675.c100005.m1851

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Trezor-Hardware-Wallet-Bitcoin-ETH-LTC-BLACK-Authorized-Seller-Fast-Ship-NEW-/222645411953?epid=2219775669&hash=item33d6b36071:g:RPUAAOSwYZ9ZphNe

Is it better to use one of these two devices for storing bitcoin wallet addresses?
I'm not very sure how this thing work really and how to even store mined bitcoins into these devices.

Let me know what you guys think!

Thanks,

i heard about this wallets. present trezor is the best wallet for secure. most of the people using this wallet only. day by day software developing very fastly. so in this process more wallets introducing in the market. in that trezor is the best wallet. so every one using to this wallet. you also once try it. really it giving good response. up to now no can hack this wallet so you have to use it darely.
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: