Bitcoin Forum
May 15, 2024, 03:24:22 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Searching old HD's  (Read 845 times)
Malawi (OP)

Activity: 224
Merit: 100

One bitcoin to rule them all!

View Profile
May 28, 2013, 10:37:42 PM

I have dabbled slightly with BTC before, I remember that I dl'ed the blockchain and did some mining. Not sure if I got anything before I decided that it was not worth the hassle.

Anyways, I have a small stack of old HD's that I'm thinking of going trough, looking for a wallet. They may either be deleted or formated - most likely the latter.
I am looking for some freeware that I can use to go trough these disks with, does anyone have suggestions?

BitCoin is NOT a pyramid - it's a pagoda.
alxs

Activity: 164

View Profile
May 28, 2013, 10:40:03 PM

"F3" in windows ?
01BTC10
VIP

Activity: 756
Merit: 503

View Profile
May 28, 2013, 10:46:42 PM

This might help: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_digital_forensics_tools
philips

Activity: 700
Merit: 500

View Profile
May 29, 2013, 07:31:05 AM
Last edit: May 29, 2013, 08:35:13 AM by philips

Testdisk & Photorec: http://www.cgsecurity.org

deepceleron
Legendary

Activity: 1512
Merit: 1032

View Profile WWW
May 29, 2013, 12:58:42 PM

The correct tool to use is pywallet, it can scan the whole hard drive raw and extract any private keys it finds. There is a thread describing how to do this.
Malawi (OP)

Activity: 224

One bitcoin to rule them all!

View Profile
May 29, 2013, 01:07:19 PM

Testdisk looks promising, the forensic tools are also interesting. Smiley

Gotta look into pywallet - sounds very promising.

But want to clarify that It's not a problem finding the file itself when they are visible to the OS.
BTW: My guess is that the quickest way to find an intact wallet is to just use something like "dir \wallet.* /s" or "dir \?allet.* /s" after undeleting.

BitCoin is NOT a pyramid - it's a pagoda.
kodo

Activity: 42
Merit: 0

View Profile
May 29, 2013, 02:27:13 PM

Testdisk & Photorec: http://www.cgsecurity.org

Yes this might work good.
Abdussamad
Legendary

Activity: 3612
Merit: 1564

View Profile
May 29, 2013, 04:32:33 PM

A real bitcoin treasure hunt!
jackjack
Legendary

Activity: 1176
Merit: 1255

May Bitcoin be touched by his Noodly Appendage

View Profile
May 29, 2013, 09:20:04 PM

Testdisk looks promising, the forensic tools are also interesting. Smiley

Gotta look into pywallet - sounds very promising.

But want to clarify that It's not a problem finding the file itself when they are visible to the OS.
BTW: My guess is that the quickest way to find an intact wallet is to just use something like "dir \wallet.* /s" or "dir \?allet.* /s" after undeleting.
Yep, pywallet will search private keys on the HDD.
It doesn't search for a filename though as the file may have been partially rewritten. It looks for private key headers that you can find in a wallet.
It'd be easier to use on Linux as AFAIK nobody tried the key recovery function on Windows.

You can also use wxHexEditor (all platforms) that will basically do the same thing but it is specifically designed to search a set of bytes. It's less blackbox than pywallet.

Own address: 19QkqAza7BHFTuoz9N8UQkryP4E9jHo4N3 - Pywallet support: 1AQDfx22pKGgXnUZFL1e4UKos3QqvRzNh5 - Bitcointalk++ script support: 1Pxeccscj1ygseTdSV1qUqQCanp2B2NMM2
Pywallet: instructions. Encrypted wallet support, export/import keys/addresses, backup wallets, export/import CSV data from/into wallet, merge wallets, delete/import addresses and transactions, recover altcoins sent to bitcoin addresses, sign/verify messages and files with Bitcoin addresses, recover deleted wallets, etc.
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: