Bitcoin Forum
May 05, 2024, 12:05:17 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Best ASIC miner (L3+, D3, S9, etc.) cooling setups  (Read 1899 times)
lentyna (OP)

Activity: 280
Merit: 100

View Profile
September 19, 2017, 05:45:16 PM

Hi Everyone,

For the last week I've been trying to figure out how to cool my 20 L3+s and 10 incoming D3s. I have a small space (~80 sq. ft.) without any windows. Tried to run 5 L3+ with 14,000 BTU Air Conditioner in the room and in 12 hours it felt inside like inside sauna. So I am trying to setup a 12" 1060CFM Vortex fan to remove the heat from the room.

Would be nice to have one place for people to share their L3+, S9, D3, etc. cooling setups. Especially inside limited spaces without good ventilation. Also would be nice to see CFM numbers.

After my setup is done and working I will post all my numbers with some pictures.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
In order to get the maximum amount of activity points possible, you just need to post once per day on average. Skipping days is OK as long as you maintain the average.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.
NotFuzzyWarm
Legendary

Activity: 3626
Merit: 2531

Evil beware: We have waffles!

View Profile
September 19, 2017, 06:09:27 PM

All flavors of cooling methodologies are already EXTENSIVELY covered in many many threads here... Pick any-1 of them and it applies to all miners.
And -- this area is for Bitcoin hardware ONLY - altcoin discussions are verboten and will be moved by mods to where they belong.

- For bitcoin to succeed the community must police itself -    My info useful? Donations welcome! 1FuzzyWc2J8TMqeUQZ8yjE43Rwr7K3cxs9
 -Sole remaining active developer of cgminer, Kano's repo is here
-Support Sidehacks miner development. Donations to:   1BURGERAXHH6Yi6LRybRJK7ybEm5m5HwTr
GMPoison

Activity: 434
Merit: 250

View Profile
September 19, 2017, 06:57:42 PM

Without good ventilation you're going to be in trouble. If there are no windows, you need to make some, lol.
lentyna (OP)

View Profile
September 19, 2017, 07:39:22 PM

Without good ventilation you're going to be in trouble. If there are no windows, you need to make some, lol.

I made a 24 x 14 hole in the floor for the air to come up from under the building. Also made another 12" hole for the 12" Vortex fan to suck the air out through the 12" duct. But Vortex fan can handle 1060 CFM so not sure what's gonna happen to the remaining hot air. I watched this video https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=317wqakIKx8&t of a guy doing a similar thing but don't understand the part how he blows 1,750 CFM of hot air through 1140 CFM Vortex fan and only 6" duct.
GMPoison

View Profile
September 19, 2017, 07:41:23 PM

I made a 24 x 14 hole in the floor for the air to come up from under the building. Also made another 12" hole for the 12" Vortex fan to suck the air out through the 12" duct. But Vortex fan can handle 1060 CFM so not sure what's gonna happen to the remaining hot air. I watched this video https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=317wqakIKx8&t of a guy doing a similar thing but don't understand the part how he blows 1,750 CFM of hot air through 1140 CFM Vortex fan and only 6" duct.

Well if you have 20 L3+'s that's like 4000 CFM at least, a lot more than what your 1060 CFM fan can handle.
lentyna (OP)

View Profile
September 19, 2017, 07:52:11 PM

Well if you have 20 L3+'s that's like 4000 CFM at least, a lot more than what your 1060 CFM fan can handle.

Yeah, that what I was thinking. I have 20 L3+'s and have another 10 incoming D3s. Not sure about the D3 CFM but if it's similar to L3+ then I will have 6000 CFM of hot air coming out of them. My Vortex fan will pull the air from the space, not directly from the miners. I was thinking to add another 12" fan but that still would handle only 2110 CFM. Also I have 14000 BTU AC but it did not help much. I tested with 5 L3+ (without the vortex fan though) and after 12 hours it was very hot I had to turn them off.

Didley1JT

Activity: 140

View Profile
September 19, 2017, 10:45:17 PM

It seems a lot of people forego HVAC systems for just straight mechanical ventilation (fans in/fans out... no "conditioning"). Just move the air in/out faster.

BTC: 1GaqNkHcstajEex6LQ6caMDLNJMLKwourJ
lentyna (OP)

View Profile
September 19, 2017, 11:37:03 PM

It seems a lot of people forego HVAC systems for just straight mechanical ventilation (fans in/fans out... no "conditioning"). Just move the air in/out faster.

Mostly I've seen with this setup have access to the outside which would be awesome for me but I only have access to the space under the floor (which is a 3 foot open space under the building) so I used 12" duct and 12" vortex fan to take the air from my space to the outside, will try to add another one but don't think even that would help for all the miners I'm planing to use.

NotFuzzyWarm
Legendary

Activity: 3626
Merit: 2531

Evil beware: We have waffles!

View Profile
September 20, 2017, 01:15:04 AM

To hopefully shorten the growing list of folks trying to re-invent the wheel (cooling a miner farm) along with suggesting doing a Forum search, start with this Whitepaper-blog post from Schneider Electric about data center cooling and getting a handle on airflow needs..

Lots of other very pertinent info on that site dealing with cooling setups, power, etc...

- For bitcoin to succeed the community must police itself -    My info useful? Donations welcome! 1FuzzyWc2J8TMqeUQZ8yjE43Rwr7K3cxs9
 -Sole remaining active developer of cgminer, Kano's repo is here
-Support Sidehacks miner development. Donations to:   1BURGERAXHH6Yi6LRybRJK7ybEm5m5HwTr
VirosaGITS
Legendary

Activity: 1302
Merit: 1068

View Profile
September 20, 2017, 01:33:26 AM

Easy, just make a box and do a hot aisle cool aisle by having the ASIC push its own air directly outside. I did that with Falcons, Antminers S4 and S5 back then. I didn't even need to use a box fan to do exhaust.

▄▄█████▄▄
                    ▐████████████▄
                   ▄█▀▀▀▀▀▀▀██████▌
             █▄  ▄█▀           ▀▀█
              ▀▀▀███▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄   █▄   ▄

▄▀▀         ▀▀▀▀▀▀▀██▀▀▀
         ▄▄▄▄▄█▄▄ ▄▀▀▄ ▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄█▄▄▄▄
         ████▒▒███    ████▒▒████▌
    ▀█▄ ▀
███████▄ ███▒▒███      ██▒▒█████       ▀█▄
 ███████ ▀█▒▒████     ▄█▒▒█████▀         ▀█ ▄  ▄▄
  ██████  ▌▀▀█████▄▄▄███████▀▀            ███▄███▌
 █████████  █████▀▀█▀▀██████▌             ██████▀
 ▀█████████ ███▄  ███   ▐███▌ ▄██       ▄█████▀
     ▀▀    ▀▀███████████████▄▄████▄▄▄▄█▀▀▀▀▀
               ▀▀▀███▀▀▀      ██████▄
                               ▀▀▀▀▀

▄█████████████████████████████▄
███████████████████████████████
█████████▀▀█████████▀▀█████████
███████ ▄▀▀         ▀▀▄ ███████
██████                   ██████
█████▌     ▄▄     ▄▄     ▐█████
█████     ████   ████     █████
█████      ▀▀     ▀▀      █████
█████▄   ▀▄▄▄     ▄▄▄▀   ▄█████
████████▄▄▄█████████▄▄▄████████
 ▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀
█ █
█ █
█ █
█ █
█ █
GMPoison

View Profile
September 20, 2017, 01:46:21 AM

Easy, just make a box and do a hot aisle cool aisle by having the ASIC push its own air directly outside. I did that with Falcons, Antminers S4 and S5 back then. I didn't even need to use a box fan to do exhaust.

That's pretty much exactly what I plan on doing when my 25 L3+'s arrive. Put the miners on a rack, have the rack backed up to a fairly large box constructed of 2x4's and drywall with cutouts for the exhaust of the miners, and have all of that placed so the bedroom window is on one end of the inside of the box for exhaust with a fan sitting on the opposite wall of the window to help direct the air, and a portable AC sitting in the rest of the room or the "cool isle".
Artlover

Activity: 149

View Profile
September 20, 2017, 09:08:08 AM

Last week i found water cooling solution for AntMiners in one blog. I forgot to save the url, but i will search it and post here. Maybe it will useful for some members.
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: