Bitcoin Forum
June 15, 2024, 03:48:56 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Warning: One or more bitcointalk.org users have reported that they strongly believe that the creator of this topic is a scammer. (Login to see the detailed trust ratings.) While the bitcointalk.org administration does not verify such claims, you should proceed with extreme caution.
Pages: [1] 2 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: AMD Catalyst™ 13.6 Windows® Beta Driver  (Read 2724 times)
pekv2 (OP)

Activity: 770
Merit: 502

View Profile
May 29, 2013, 02:55:18 PM

http://sites.amd.com/us/game/downloads/Pages/downloads.aspx

http://support.amd.com/us/kbarticles/Pages/amdcatalyst13-6WINBetaDriver.aspx

What particularly struck me was

AMD Catalyst Control Center now shows the hardware and software Information pages for AMD discrete GPUs when paired with Intel integrated graphics.

I am going to image backup my OS, install these for my 5850's & cgminer for scrypt. I will report back on how they do. Cheesy
pekv2 (OP)

View Profile
May 29, 2013, 04:08:21 PM

Hashing away on these drivers for my two 5850's with scrypt, seems to be fine no gains nor decrease in HR.

For my particular setup, Intel® HD Graphics 2000 as dedicated graphics, two 5850's mining, I still need dummy plugs. I've tested without dummy plugs, tested with one dummy plug per graphics card, each of my cards needs a dummy plug to mine.
digitalindustry

Activity: 798
Merit: 1000

‘Try to be nice’

View Profile WWW
May 29, 2013, 04:17:31 PM

i'm not familiar with the principal of dummy plugs , can you explain ?

- Twitter @Kolin_Quark
pekv2 (OP)

View Profile
May 29, 2013, 04:23:57 PM

i'm not familiar with the principal of dummy plugs , can you explain ?

The dummy plugs I use, are DVI > VGA adapters with 6 resistors, 3 resisters per adapter. They fool the graphics cards into thinking there is/are monitor/monitors connected to the graphics cards, so they will be detected under CCC. CCC=Catalyst Control Center by AMD.

Some more info.

https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=16816.0
digitalindustry

Activity: 798

‘Try to be nice’

View Profile WWW
May 29, 2013, 04:39:25 PM

ok no problem , thanks !

- Twitter @Kolin_Quark
barwizi
Legendary

Activity: 882

View Profile
May 29, 2013, 04:44:36 PM

tried it on ubuntu, not functional, unless i missed something.  Undecided
pekv2 (OP)

View Profile
May 29, 2013, 05:17:15 PM

Yea, the release note link I posted, is for Windows. Might want to check the release notes for Linux.
OracionSeis

Activity: 756
Merit: 500

View Profile
May 29, 2013, 05:21:14 PM

AMD Catalyst Control Center now shows the hardware and software Information pages for AMD discrete GPUs when paired with Intel integrated graphics.

I am going to image backup my OS, install these for my 5850's & cgminer for scrypt. I will report back on how they do. Cheesy

If i install this.Will it affect my GPU's mining performance ? just be clear Cheesy

Time off to sleep ... ( ̄︶ ̄)~
barwizi
Legendary

Activity: 882

View Profile
May 29, 2013, 05:22:49 PM

Yea, the release note link I posted, is for Windows. Might want to check the release notes for Linux.

i meant i tried the ubuntu one
bengx

Activity: 202
Merit: 100

View Profile
May 29, 2013, 05:25:33 PM

I installed and have it running on my 6970 and 5870, doesn't seem to affect hash rate in any way. Still requires monitor to be plugged in for the card to be detected too.
pekv2 (OP)

View Profile
May 29, 2013, 05:25:33 PM

If i install this.Will it affect my GPU's mining performance ? just be clear Cheesy

I have no idea. Might want to post your setup, that way, others or I might be able to answer that. But officially, don't know till you try.
OracionSeis

Activity: 756

View Profile
May 29, 2013, 05:27:16 PM

I have no idea. Might want to post your setup, that way, others or I might be able to answer that. But officially, don't know till you try.

You mean by setup? The whole pc rig?

Time off to sleep ... ( ̄︶ ̄)~
BBQKorv

Activity: 280
Merit: 250

View Profile
May 29, 2013, 05:27:39 PM

With MSI Afterburner there is no need for dummys to tweak the cards. Cheaper and easier that way.
pekv2 (OP)

View Profile
May 29, 2013, 05:32:46 PM

i meant i tried the ubuntu one

So, what did the linux release notes say? I haven't read them, as I use windows. Might want to check the linux release notes for this beta driver.
pekv2 (OP)

View Profile
May 29, 2013, 06:01:16 PM

I installed and have it running on my 6970 and 5870, doesn't seem to affect hash rate in any way. Still requires monitor to be plugged in for the card to be detected too.

Ah, that's good news, no hash rate change. But same here with the dummy plugs.

As the days pass on, hopefully, others explain with their setups and this beta driver, how it goes for themselves.
efx

Activity: 378

View Profile
May 29, 2013, 07:59:19 PM

lol pek, OS backup? Cleaning an aborted driver install is a bit of a nuisance, not a bad idea.  

Anyways, driver reports are usually scattered and full of misinformation, so +1 to this thread!

Personally, I've found the large majority (if not all) of the 12.6+ drivers to be fine, sometimes you need to adjust your config accordingly and some systems seem to like flash GPU-based acceleration disabled with a few of the versions.

What people really need to be looking for in the new drivers: GCN memory management optimizations. Potentially, it could be significant for the new arc. Try running more than one GPU thread at higher aggressions to check for improvements (only an issue with 7xxx).  

I will give 13.6 a test soon.  

Dummy plugs: Huh? I don't understand why some need them and others don't. That hasn't been an issue on these machines for a while now. 
pekv2 (OP)

View Profile
May 29, 2013, 09:01:52 PM
Last edit: May 29, 2013, 09:13:21 PM by pekv2

lol pek, OS backup? Cleaning an aborted driver install is a bit of a nuisance, not a bad idea.  

Anyways, driver reports are usually scattered and full of misinformation, so +1 to this thread!

Personally, I've found the large majority (if not all) of the 12.6+ drivers to be fine, sometimes you need to adjust your config accordingly and some systems seem to like flash GPU-based acceleration disabled with a few of the versions.

What people really need to be looking for in the new drivers: GCN memory management optimizations. Potentially, it could be significant for the new arc. Try running more than one GPU thread at higher aggressions to check for improvements (only an issue with 7xxx).  

I will give 13.6 a test soon.  

Dummy plugs: Huh? I don't understand why some need them and others don't. That hasn't been an issue on these machines for a while now.  

Heya efx, long time no see. How you doing?

Yup, OS image backup only takes me roughly 7 minutes to do. And three to reimage if something has gone wrong. Which from experience, just an uninstall of a amd driver & driver sweeper cleanse and reinstall, would not be enough, leaving the OS or previous driver inoperable if reinstall was tried. Also, note! a lot of users complained, after driver update, they ended up reinstalling their OS, when I see that, I say, why not just image backup your OS, especially if the install is just for mining and the size is only 2-15 gigs, it would take one minute to two minutes to backup vs reinstalling an OS and the updates to that OS which might take hours if not, upon more hours then setting backup the mining software etc. If anything ever goes bad with a graphics driver update, a reimage is so easy vs fighting a broken driver leaving you in the dust. Yup@should express uninstall the amd driver, hop into safe mode, driver sweep with driver sweeper, reboot into safe mode, run registry clean expert and ccleaner's reg cleaner. Reboot, install new driver. But yes, I highly recommend image back your OS prior of any major update that could possibly break your OS, including microsoft/linux-kernel/linux updates.

I and others have face difficulties with some drivers 12.6+, jackjack is one user something about any later driver would crash cgminer while gaming trying these newer drivers. There are a huge mix of people with different results. I had a problem for the longest time, 13.1 to 13.2, I had software sensor problems that would not be read on my second card. Obv. they state these drivers fixed that, but personally, it was fixed for me at 13.2beta6 driver.

And yes, for disabling flash gpu accel, the person would need to open youtube, or some sort that can play flash, right click on the vid screen, settings and disable gpu accel.

And yet again, yup@ the dummy plugs. Some people can do without them and some need them. I think when a persons setup like myself, using intel as dedicated and amd cards as miners, the amd cards require dummy plugs. If it is just a setup "i think" with all amd cards,for some reason "has not been confirmed" they don't need dummy plugs. I believe it's from running a mix of graphics devices etc.

Edit:
Btw, reinstalling my OS decreased since I do image backups. Little bit over a year I've had mine installed.

Code:
C:\Users\Admin>systeminfo | find /i "install date"
Original Install Date:     5/21/2012, 6:35:19 PM

C:\Users\Admin>
efx

Activity: 378

View Profile
May 29, 2013, 10:03:49 PM

hello Wink pretty good, you?

The one thing you can count on it seems: variable results.

Biggest chance of breaking your drivers I've found is if you downgrading your version, especially if that downgrade has anything to do with opencl.  

I've found that no single driver sweeper application cleans everything completely and a very thorough manual cleanse seems to be the ticket in the end. Some of the AMD specific cleaners seems to be a little more robust, however none of them really deal with opencl properly it seems, which is a problem.

Sometimes you must boot into safemode and uninstall/reinstall your devices there. I believe that part is only a potential problem when you move cards around.

Although probably due to luck, I've been running the same windows 7 install for several years until recently due to upgrading. I switch drivers frequently, so I have seen a few issues arise with the install process.

Those that use Linux frequently for mining (I found the hardware management options a little limiting) may also be experiencing residual opencl related conflicts. idk?  
pekv2 (OP)

View Profile
May 30, 2013, 09:54:01 PM

Eh, doin alright, same shit, diff. day.

Free bump.
qiuness

Activity: 714

View Profile
May 30, 2013, 10:08:47 PM

And yes, for disabling flash gpu accel, the person would need to open youtube, or some sort that can play flash, right click on the vid screen, settings and disable gpu accel.

this tweak should increase perf in some way?
Pages: [1] 2 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: