Bitcoin Forum
June 24, 2024, 06:12:21 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1] 2 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Help, issue with 5 1080ti on MSI Z270 SLI PLUS  (Read 1078 times)
joshuajones02 (OP)

Activity: 210
Merit: 100

View Profile
September 20, 2017, 04:58:05 AM

alright, this is a nightmare.. and I'm out of ideas

my initial problem was that i could only get 4 running (one psu) and switched to two psu's and a fifth 1080ti.. When i booted windows it would cause a "Code 12" error.. insufficient resources.

so i did some research and found that I should change "pci e" settings to Gen 1, which I dont have but i do have the PEG0 and PEG1 "Max Link Speed" and I set those to Gen1.. It also said to change "Above 4G Decoding" to enable, so I changed that from disabled to enabled...

...it is working now but...

they are running like absolute garbage, and will crash after a few minutes. The power % looks like its all over the place and they are getting 200sols, 300sols and 400sols, with maybe 1 at 600sol/s

I'm going to throw this rig into the street

my mobo is the MSI Z270 SLI PLUS (MS-7A59)

any help would be appreciated.

| World Fintech Startups | Microsoft Azure Partner | $1,5 M Raised During pre-ICO |
     BANKEX - Proof-of-Asset Protocol     
| WHITE PAPER | BLOGSLACKTELEGRAMBITCOINTALKGITHUBTWITTERYOUTUBEFACEBOOK |☰
joshuajones02 (OP)

View Profile
September 20, 2017, 04:58:40 AM

I was using windows 7 but I purchased a windows 10 pro key and installed it and still having the same issue... going to upload photos

| World Fintech Startups | Microsoft Azure Partner | $1,5 M Raised During pre-ICO |
joshuajones02 (OP)

View Profile
September 20, 2017, 05:06:07 AM

This is a photo of it running skunk algo,

https://imgur.com/a/7IZcV

joshuajones02 (OP)

View Profile
September 20, 2017, 06:06:17 AM

now I can't even get 4 cards working... they crash as soon as I start mining

does wiring matter for the separate PSUs? I have three risers and the attached GPUs being powered by one PSU, and the rest of the computer and 2 GPUs and their riser powered by it.

ivakar

Activity: 756
Merit: 507

View Profile
September 20, 2017, 08:15:16 AM

does wiring matter for the separate PSUs? I have three risers and the attached GPUs being powered by one PSU, and the rest of the computer and 2 GPUs and their riser powered by it.

ok, here are the steps you have to do in order to made it work

0. plug only one 1080ti and plug your monitor into MB dvi/hdmi port from CPU
1. update your bios to the latest version possible
2. enter to bios, load defaults, save and restart
3. load windows, install all drivers for intel chispet, then latest driver for 1080ti
4. restart. go to bios, change 64 bit encoding to enable, everywhere change PCI-E GEN from auto to GEN2  ( should be in 3 places)
5. save and shutdown before loading windows
6. install all you cards. load windows, install VGA drivers
7. enjoy

Cheesy
leonix007

Activity: 1008
Merit: 297

Grow with community

View Profile
September 20, 2017, 08:32:25 AM

What Miner are you using? start with at least 2 GPU without risers, 1 GPU to the main PCI-e x16, and the 2nd GPU to the next PCI-e x16, then fire up miner.

Use some easy to use miner like EWBF or Claymore for testing or troubleshooting purposes, check also your PSU power rating 1080ti's are power hungry especially when mining. goodluck and happy mining  Cheesy
joshuajones02 (OP)

View Profile
September 20, 2017, 04:13:48 PM

ok, here are the steps you have to do in order to made it work

0. plug only one 1080ti and plug your monitor into MB dvi/hdmi port from CPU
1. update your bios to the latest version possible
2. enter to bios, load defaults, save and restart
3. load windows, install all drivers for intel chispet, then latest driver for 1080ti
4. restart. go to bios, change 64 bit encoding to enable, everywhere change PCI-E GEN from auto to GEN2  ( should be in 3 places)
5. save and shutdown before loading windows
6. install all you cards. load windows, install VGA drivers
7. enjoy

Cheesy

alright installing new chipset drivers.. the latest 1080ti drivers were already installed (385.41).

I changed 64 bit encoding to enable, and the PCI-E Gen from auto to GEN 2 are only in 2 places (PEG0 and PEG1), don't see any others.

The only other option is PCI Latency Timer, which is set at 32

joshuajones02 (OP)

View Profile
September 20, 2017, 04:24:02 PM

Still not working...

I installed 2 cards on one psu (the main PSU), running it and it runs perfectly fine.

I install 1 more card from the other PSU and its running like garbage. The 2 on the main PSU (connected to mobo) are running great, but the 3rd GPU on the 2nd PSU is running at 100-104 sol/s.. Which is weird because when I install that card on its own on the 2nd PSU and take the 2 off of the main PSU, it runs fine.

GaryH

Activity: 214

View Profile
September 20, 2017, 04:34:56 PM

looking at your MSI afterburner, I'd start with 80% TDP for power and leave clock and memory settings at 0 until you get a stable system. 

I mine Zencash and my Asus 1070 strix's have 75% TDP, +125 Mhz Clock and +500 Mhz memory and it's stable.

joshuajones02 (OP)

View Profile
September 20, 2017, 05:25:31 PM

looking at your MSI afterburner, I'd start with 80% TDP for power and leave clock and memory settings at 0 until you get a stable system.  

I mine Zencash and my Asus 1070 strix's have 75% TDP, +125 Mhz Clock and +500 Mhz memory and it's stable.

I was under the impression that memory didnt matter (for EQUIHASH algo),  I will reset all to default until I can get it stable

I have to take off for a couple hours for class but I'll be back around 5:30 PM est to hopefully fix this..

Right now I have 2 of the 1080 ti's running on the main PSU with the other 3 and 2nd PSU turned off and its running great...

(One additional note: I attempted to run 2 of the GPUs on the 2nd PSU with no GPU's attached to the main PSU, and the adapters were crashing and unable to run, it blue screened and gave me a DPC_WATCHDOG_VIOLATION.. unsure what that has to do with it, seeing how I made no changes except for disconnecting the 2nd PSU and and GPU's attached to it and its running perfect.

fanatic26

Merit: 560

View Profile
September 20, 2017, 05:57:45 PM

MSI boards are known for being just about the worst board you can try to mine on. I dont even offer people support if they are mining on MSI boards, its just a bad idea. You really should try running linux instead. It is just so much more stable.

Also, set all of the cards back to FULLY stock settings. Get things stable before you mess with Afterburner.

Stop buying industrial miners, running them at home, and then complaining about the noise.
joshuajones02 (OP)

View Profile
September 20, 2017, 07:15:23 PM
Last edit: September 20, 2017, 09:19:35 PM by joshuajones02

MSI boards are known for being just about the worst board you can try to mine on. I dont even offer people support if they are mining on MSI boards, its just a bad idea. You really should try running linux instead. It is just so much more stable.

Also, set all of the cards back to FULLY stock settings. Get things stable before you mess with Afterburner.

That's quite unfortunate, I was recommended this board by several people.. I just got a notification that the system went offline (2 GPUs on main PSU) 30 mins after I left *angry face*

Edit: nevermind, looks like 30 min sleep timer is set as default from windows 10 upgrade, which was why it went offline... The two on the main PSU are working great, going to try some more trial and error troubleshooting when I get back home for the remaining three on the 2nd PSU

joshuajones02 (OP)

View Profile
September 20, 2017, 07:23:28 PM

What Miner are you using? start with at least 2 GPU without risers, 1 GPU to the main PCI-e x16, and the 2nd GPU to the next PCI-e x16, then fire up miner.

Use some easy to use miner like EWBF or Claymore for testing or troubleshooting purposes, check also your PSU power rating 1080ti's are power hungry especially when mining. goodluck and happy mining  Cheesy

The main one is a EVGA supernova Platinum and the 2nd is a EVGA G2, both more than enough wattage

joshuajones02 (OP)

View Profile
September 21, 2017, 12:58:55 AM

https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B-Z98LONNR0hTGM0Y0ViR0VXS2c/view

I found this on the MSI website... I'm going to unistall all the drivers and everything and attempt to follow through with these procedures even though I kind have already done it, but going to follow as checklist to see if it works.. Wish me luck

joshuajones02 (OP)

View Profile
September 21, 2017, 04:36:31 AM
Last edit: September 21, 2017, 04:47:42 AM by joshuajones02

after hours of unplugging and plugging and trying to figure this shit out.. it looks like it has something to do with the mobo and the PCIe x1 slots... I have 2 plugged in to the PCI e x16 and its running great, but the moment I plug one into the x1 it runs like shit, power is all over the place and it crashes...

edit: definitely looking like my motherboard... not sure if I should send it in or just make this a 4 card rig... I'll post pictures of the 2 PCIe connectors that will not work... the moment I place a card in either one the system goes to hell.. jesus that was annoying to find..

joshuajones02 (OP)

View Profile
September 21, 2017, 04:49:13 AM
Last edit: September 21, 2017, 05:01:25 AM by joshuajones02

Going to try 1 more time to place a card in one of those 2 PCI e x1 slots and see if it crashes

edit: it crashed when I inserted into one of the empty (in pic) PCIe x1 slots... will call MSI tomorrow and hopefully figure something out

https://imgur.com/a/EGCVE

ivakar

Merit: 507

View Profile
September 21, 2017, 06:48:21 AM

Going to try 1 more time to place a card in one of those 2 PCI e x1 slots and see if it crashes

edit: it crashed when I inserted into one of the empty (in pic) PCIe x1 slots... will call MSI tomorrow and hopefully figure something out

https://imgur.com/a/EGCVE

I'm running 4 rigs with 7 cards in each
all of them build with ASUS mb, 2 rigs in Z270-P and 2 other on STRIX H270
all running smooth without error - but only, if the steps I posted above are done in correct order!
this is very important!!

yeah, by the way, forgot to mention to shut off all unused devices in MB - like onboard sound, serial ports and etc.

so most crucial is to install win 10 with all updates, drivers and etc with ONE card installed, then reset go into bios - turn on required
then save, shutdown, install all cards and run windows.

xkreed

Activity: 24
Merit: 0

View Profile
September 21, 2017, 10:12:02 AM

Go read this if not did before:

https://forum-en.msi.com/index.php?topic=288624.0

I also had problems with MSI z270 gaming m3.
It should support 4 GPUs but at fact it crashes when I start mining on 4.
I tried everything EVERYTHING, spent about 1 week to make it work but failed.
Then I just bought asus z270-p and everything works perfect from the box.

Gonna tell MSI they do shitty MBs.

Regards,
xkreed.
joshuajones02 (OP)

View Profile
September 21, 2017, 03:44:21 PM

Go read this if not did before:

https://forum-en.msi.com/index.php?topic=288624.0

I also had problems with MSI z270 gaming m3.
It should support 4 GPUs but at fact it crashes when I start mining on 4.
I tried everything EVERYTHING, spent about 1 week to make it work but failed.
Then I just bought asus z270-p and everything works perfect from the box.

Gonna tell MSI they do shitty MBs.

Regards,
xkreed.

Its the PCIe 1x slots man.. It took me 2 days to figure that shit out lol

joshuajones02 (OP)

View Profile
September 23, 2017, 12:22:54 AM

For anyone reading this in the future...

Alright, update to my mobo issue.. Got the asrock h110 pro btc+ today and wow.. wish I would have ordered this board originally, it was practically plug and play. Had absolutely 0 issues plugging in all of my 1080ti's and the performance seems slightly better (5-15 Sols/s) on this mobo more than the original MSI board I had, which is awesome. Thanks for the recommendation, super impressed and it was a lot cheaper than the board I had originally.

Pages: [1] 2 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: