Bitcoin Forum
May 20, 2024, 04:06:37 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 [2] 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: freebitco.in "Browser Mining" - is it worth it?  (Read 20681 times)
zahra4572

Activity: 135
Merit: 100

View Profile
September 21, 2017, 04:32:23 AM

Do this even worth trying? Mining Lottery will be much more better to introduce.
Muzika

Activity: 980
Merit: 261

View Profile
September 21, 2017, 05:06:52 AM

did they already stop doing this? or is it special for certain users only?
i just checked the website and there is no "mining" option on top:

What hardware were you mining on?
I just did the maths on my old i5-3750K.

Set at 20% in the background for the last 4 hours averaged 20.85 sat/hr based on 10c KW/hr electricity and $4000 BTC.
I measured an 8.5w increase in CPU power so that's $0.00085 to make $0.000834 of BTC. So just about break-even at the moment, could be worth it if BTC goes up or they increase the rewards like they say.
it still doesn't seem to be worth it to be honest!
and i feel like they are getting shady a little. first with all the lotteries and rewards and then with the profit on your deposit then calling themselves a "wallet" and now this!

the mining option is still in BETA so not all users have that mining option in their tabs. luckily i am one of the chosen ones so have that option now in my account but still i didn't tried it yet, maybe later and i will give my feedback here Smiley
Catmony

Activity: 854
Merit: 500

View Profile
September 21, 2017, 05:56:22 AM

Do this even worth trying? Mining Lottery will be much more better to introduce.
No this is not worth to try as we all know mining with CPU can only be a dream, even a specific mining hardwares like antminer S9 can't mine significant amount of bitcoin these days due to very high mining difficulty. Mining with personal computer with CPU sound like a joke...

I will not burn my lappy with this one.
mocacinno
Legendary

Activity: 3402
Merit: 4983

https://merel.mobi => buy facemasks with BTC/LTC

View Profile WWW
September 21, 2017, 05:56:49 AM
Last edit: September 21, 2017, 06:09:08 AM by mocacinno

Since people were saying this is not some kind of experiment, and a lot of nonsense was being posted, even claimed they could break even... I decided to digg a little bit deeper.

I have to admit, i was a bit lazy, so i used this post to get the formula daily revenue:
https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=726962.msg8221939#msg8221939

Daily revenue = H x 25 x 600 x 65535 / 248 / D x 6 x 24

Offcourse, the block reward dropped to 12.5, so we have to exchange 25 to 12.5 in the above formula

So, the revenue = the hashrate (H/s) * 491512500  / 281474976710656 / Difficulty * 144
If we use this formula to calculate the dayly revenue of an antminer S9:
1.4e+13 * 491512500 / 281474976710656 / 1103400932964* 144 = 0.00319045009

coinwarz is a pretty reliable mining calculator used by lot of people, at this moment, it reports a dayly revenue of 0.00319050. I think this proves the formula is relatively correct.

abhinav_thakur01 reported a hashrate of 1-2 H/s
My hashrate is showing around 1-2 H/s . Hashes solved increasing but is the total mining income updated per hour ?

Plug 2 H/s into the above formula:
2 * 491512500 / 281474976710656 / 1103400932964* 144 = 4.56 e-16 = 0.0000000000000005 BTC/day = 0.00000005 satoshi's/day = you'll need to mine over 50.000 years to mine a single satoshi at a speed of 2 hashes per second.

If we re-read TheQuin's statement, and combine it with abhinav_thakur01 speed report, then plug everything into coinwarz with a 10 cent/kwu power cost
--snip--
I measured an 8.5w increase in CPU power
--snip--

link
We see that the net loss of such a mining operation would be ~$7/year, simply because (luckily) the power draw was only 8.5 watt. The net loss is calculated this way: the income of your mining is 0 (nill, nothing, zip) minus the power costs (~$7/year) gives a net loss of ~$7/year.

A re-state my previous theories about freebitco.in browser mining... i'm pretty sure one of these theories (or a combination of these theories) is the correct one:
  • OR they're not bitcoin mining like they claim, but mine a coin that is still cpu-only minable, but still pay you in BTC
  • OR they're performing some other task in the background... Don't know which one tough
  • OR they just use the browser mining as a trick to keep you on their page... They subsidise your account for staying with them 24/7, watching adds

And as a final wacko theory i wanted to add this link: http://www.csl.mete.metu.edu.tr/Electromigration/emig.htm
It's an interesting read for everybody that claims there is no harm at running your cpu at 100% for long times (or overclocking your cpu).
I know it's not completely on-topic,  but it's still interesting nonetheless

█▀▀▀

█▄▄▄
▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀
e
▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄
█████████████
████████████▄███
██▐███████▄█████▀
█████████▄████▀
███▐████▄███▀
████▐██████▀
█████▀█████
███████████▄
████████████▄
██▄█████▀█████▄
▄█████████▀█████▀
███████████▀██▀
████▀█████████
▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀
c.h.
▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄
▀▀▀█

▄▄▄█
▄██████▄▄▄
█████████████▄▄
███████████████
███████████████
███████████████
███████████████
███░░█████████
███▌▐█████████
█████████████
███████████▀
██████████▀
████████▀
▀██▀▀
TheQuin

Activity: 2576
Merit: 882

Freebitco.in Support https://bit.ly/2I9BVS2

View Profile WWW
September 21, 2017, 06:19:57 AM

If we re-read TheQuin's statement, and combine it with abhinav_thakur01 speed report, then plug everything into coinwarz with a 10 cent/kwu power cost
--snip--
I measured an 8.5w increase in CPU power
--snip--

link
We see that the net loss of such a mining operation would be ~$7/year, simply because (luckily) the power draw was only 8.5 watt. The net loss is calculated this way: the income of your mining is 0 (nill, nothing, zip) minus the power costs (~$7/year) gives a net loss of ~$7/year.

A re-state my previous theories about freebitco.in browser mining... i'm pretty sure one of these theories (or a combination of these theories) is the correct one:
  • OR they're not bitcoin mining like they claim, but mine a coin that is still cpu-only minable, but still pay you in BTC
  • OR they're performing some other task in the background... Don't know which one tough
  • OR they just use the browser mining as a trick to keep you on their page... They subsidise your account for staying with them 24/7, watching adds

Where did they claim to be mining BTC? That would be crazy and wasn't even worth your time running the numbers on. As I stated at the start they're most likely is mining XMR and trading it for BTC. I'm sure they'll confirm in good time.

As for the calculations, my ones are based on actual result whereas yours is based on mining BTC which is not what is happening. I stand by making breakeven on my first day of testing with an old i5. Of course, if you want to come up with some conspiracy theories that something more sinister than mining XMR is going on then I'll leave you to enjoy yourself.

freebitcoin.TO WIN A  LAMBORGHINI!..

▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄███████████▄▄▄▄▄
                    ▄▄▄▄▄██████████████████████████████████▄▄▄▄
                    ▀██████████████████████████████████████████████▄▄▄
                    ▄▄████▄█████▄████████████████████████████▄█████▄████▄▄
                    ▀████████▀▀▀████████████████████████████████▀▀▀██████████▄
                      ▀▀▀████▄▄▄███████████████████████████████▄▄▄██████████
                           ▀█████▀  ▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀  ▀█████▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀
                   ▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀
mocacinno
Legendary

Activity: 3402
Merit: 4983

https://merel.mobi => buy facemasks with BTC/LTC

View Profile WWW
September 21, 2017, 06:22:46 AM

Where did they claim to be mining BTC?
--snip--

I don't belong to the trial group, so i cannot check by myself, however, the op posted following image in his very first post:

It clearly states: "use your browser to passively mine bitcoin", it's right in the first, bold, line in the screenshot.

--snip--

I'm sorry i must have missed the part where you said it was probably XMR... I won't re-do the calculations to see if XMR mining would be profitable. I was just digging into the info i found in this thread and must have missed your initial conclusion.

█▀▀▀

█▄▄▄
▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀
e
▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄
█████████████
████████████▄███
██▐███████▄█████▀
█████████▄████▀
███▐████▄███▀
████▐██████▀
█████▀█████
███████████▄
████████████▄
██▄█████▀█████▄
▄█████████▀█████▀
███████████▀██▀
████▀█████████
▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀
c.h.
▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄
▀▀▀█

▄▄▄█
▄██████▄▄▄
█████████████▄▄
███████████████
███████████████
███████████████
███████████████
███░░█████████
███▌▐█████████
█████████████
███████████▀
██████████▀
████████▀
▀██▀▀
TheQuin

View Profile WWW
September 21, 2017, 06:30:08 AM
Last edit: September 21, 2017, 06:41:17 AM by TheQuin

I don't belong to the trial group, so i cannot check by myself, however, the op posted following image in his very first post:

It clearly states: "use your browser to passively mine bitcoin", it's right in the first, bold, line in the screenshot.

~snip~

I'm sorry i must have missed the part where you said it was probably XMR... I won't re-do the calculations to see if XMR mining would be profitable. I was just digging into the info i found in this thread and must have missed your initial conclusion.

OK, I agree that statement is a bit misleading. We both know that CPU mining BTC directly would be insane in 2017, it really has to be mining something else and XMR is the most likely candidate. I guess that the majority of their userbase isn't really going to have a clue what they are on about if they put that info on the site.

Edit:
Coinwarz numbers on XMR 13H/s @ 8.5w gives $1.05 profit anually.

pawanjain

Activity: 2688
Merit: 715

Nothing lasts forever

View Profile
September 21, 2017, 07:10:02 AM

I did check out my profile on freebitco.in and found out that the experimental mining was not available for me. The above comments conclude that even if we try the experimental mining of freebitco.in it would not be a good option to stick to that for long. The rewards are obviously quite less for the amount of time our PC stays active. I know that it depends on the CPU power and processor on how much rewards we get but still it is less for the amount of time we spend on it.

███████████████████████████
███████▄████████████▄██████
████████▄████████▄████████
███▀█████▀▄███▄▀█████▀███
█████▀█▀▄██▀▀▀██▄▀█▀█████
███████▄███████████▄███████
███████▀███████████▀███████
████▄██▄▀██▄▄▄██▀▄██▄████
████▄████▄▀███▀▄████▄████
██▄███▀▀█▀██████▀█▀███▄███
██▀█▀████████████████▀█▀███
.Duelbits.
..........UNLEASH..........
THE ULTIMATE
GAMING EXPERIENCE
DUELBITS
FANTASY
SPORTS
████▄▄█████▄▄
░▄████
███████████▄
▐███
███████████████▄
███
████████████████
███
████████████████▌
███
██████████████████
████████████████▀▀▀
███████████████▌
███████████████▌
████████████████
████████████████
████████████████
████▀▀███████▀▀
▬▬
VS
▬▬
████▄▄▄█████▄▄▄
░▄████████████████▄
▐██████████████████▄
████████████████████
████████████████████▌
█████████████████████
███████████████████
███████████████▌
███████████████▌
████████████████
████████████████
████████████████
████▀▀███████▀▀
/// PLAY FOR  FREE  ///
WIN FOR REAL
..PLAY NOW..
magneto

Activity: 1666
Merit: 753

View Profile
September 21, 2017, 07:19:02 AM

Unless you have free or close to free electricity, have the equipment to do it, you don't mind your computer overheating all the time and possibly shortening your CPU's lifespan with close to no reward then sure, go ahead and do it.

Trust me, in the end you won't even make enough to cover transaction fees for a single bitcoin transaction.

Not worth it at all and i would assume that freebitco.in takes some commission as well. If you had the right equipment, free electricity, and a whole farm of computers then i think joining a pool with no fees or little fees would make the most sense.
timerland

Activity: 1526
Merit: 596

View Profile
September 21, 2017, 09:46:12 AM

Got a notification in freebitco.in "Use your browser to passively mine bitcoin and receive mining rewards instantly to your FreeBitco.in account, credited every 5 minutes." Anyone has any idea how this works and is it worth it? Is there any chance of laptop/PC being damaged from this sort of "mining"?

This is not any kind of income. You are wasting your money on electricity and potentially reducing your productivity from the noise and lag generated by the mining activity. I'm not even sure why freebitco.in decided to implement this, it probably will generate them a ridiculously amount of profit as well from the commissions.

It is not worth it at all if you have no cheap electricity and new miners capable of calculating many GH/s or even TH/s per second.

And if you do why the hell would you mine for freebitco.in? Either solo mine or join a pool as magneto said!

Smiley
btcjocan

Activity: 658
Merit: 250

View Profile
September 21, 2017, 11:59:18 AM

Mining option seems no more accessible on the site because it might have created lots of negative reviews for freebitco.in they might be trying to do something different but people might actually burn their laptop/pc when trying to get few satoshi from this type of bitcoin mining.

This one seems to be their another failed attempt to look different than another faucet out there.

It's accessible yet, not for everyone as it's an experiment yet for few or some users.

I don't know yet if it worth, maybe for who has powerful machines it can be interesting, but for who has cheap laptops it won't be profitable, it won't pay even the electricity you are spending. Anyway if you want to check when the time comes for all, just set low CPU usage to prevent damage to your laptop.

You're correct that this is just in beta testing and still being rolled out to more users, most certainly not a failed experiment. There is a lot of nonsense being posted about this. You can turn the % CPU used up and down in increments of 10% so there is no reason to overheat anything.
I think you're right about cheap laptops, but with a modern desktop, it looks quite promising. I'm using an old i5 processor at 20% in the background and I've calculated that it's running at about breakeven so if you have something newer and more efficient than that it should be worth doing.

I think that's explained well and looking unto the promising effect of the mining cpu, maybe that's not yet performing for a long time. The computer hardware might be overworking for several hours doing the mining operations. For me it still not worth it for now since, using personal computers in mining doesn't conform to the actual performances of dedicated mining gpu's.
endlasuresh

Activity: 756
Merit: 103

View Profile WWW
September 22, 2017, 05:54:34 AM

No, that doesn't worth to you at all and you will be paying huge electricity bill for mining also you need high GPU PC that handle for mining.

For Telugu Translation Contact to me
TheQuin

View Profile WWW
September 22, 2017, 05:59:09 AM
Last edit: September 22, 2017, 06:19:44 AM by TheQuin

No, that doesn't worth to you at all and you will be paying huge electricity bill for mining also you need high GPU PC that handle for mining.

Maybe if you had read the thread before posting you wouldn't have been so wrong.

What you need to mine with depends on the coin you are mining. A GPU is not the only thing you can profitably mine with. This looks like it is mining XMR which is suited to CPU mining. As I posted earlier I have actually tested the service, with the right CPU you could make a profit. It's best if you just leave a browser tab at a low % usage in the background while you're using the PC for something else then you are only paying for the extra CPU usage which is minimal.

Qunenin

Activity: 966
Merit: 506

View Profile
September 22, 2017, 07:10:53 AM

Of course it's not worth it. Do you actually think that sitting there and letting the browser run consuming your electricity and your computer is going to ever pay off for you? This is something that may have two or three years ago produced a small effect but it is something that is never going to earn you good. Time is to move on something which is more productive and profitable.

.1xBit.com.
███████████████
█████████████▀
█████▀▀       
███▀ ▄███     ▄
██▄▄████▌    ▄█
████████       
████████▌     
█████████    ▐█
██████████   ▐█
███████▀▀   ▄██
███▀   ▄▄▄█████
███ ▄██████████
███████████████
███████████████
███████████████
███████████████
███████████████
███████████████
███████████▀▀▀█
██████████     
███████████▄▄▄█
███████████████
███████████████
███████████████
███████████████
███████████████
         ▄█████
        ▄██████
       ▄███████
      ▄████████
     ▄█████████
    ▄███████
   ▄███████████
  ▄████████████
 ▄█████████████
▄██████████████
  ▀▀███████████
      ▀▀███
████
          ▀▀
          ▄▄██▌
      ▄▄███████
     █████████▀

▄██▄▄▀▀██▀▀
▄██████     ▄▄▄
███████   ▄█▄ ▄
▀██████   █  ▀█
 ▀▀▀
    ▀▄▄█▀
▄▄█████▄    ▀▀▀
 ▀████████
   ▀█████▀ ████
      ▀▀▀ █████
          █████
       ▄  █▄▄ █ ▄
     ▀▄██▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀
      ▀ ▄▄█████▄█▄▄
    ▄ ▄███▀    ▀▀ ▀▀▄
  ▄██▄███▄ ▀▀▀▀▄  ▄▄
  ▄████████▄▄▄▄▄█▄▄▄██
 ████████████▀▀    █ ▐█
██████████████▄ ▄▄▀██▄██
 ▐██████████████    ▄███
  ████▀████████████▄███▀
  ▀█▀  ▐█████████████▀
       ▐████████████▀
       ▀█████▀▀▀ █▀
!
TheQuin

View Profile WWW
September 22, 2017, 07:19:27 AM

My hashrate is showing around 1-2 H/s . Hashes solved increasing but is the total mining income updated per hour ?

It updates about every 5 minutes. I'm getting ~20 sats/hr at 13H/s so you made need to wait a bit longer.

bapparabi

Activity: 826
Merit: 1000

View Profile
September 22, 2017, 07:33:36 AM

its complete not worth as i can see when i sue my cpu to other direct mining pool i get more hash rate then in freebitco .may be they using this hash to mining in differ pool get more rate and provide less to us as i can see there rate .

So best will be mine direct to good pool or if you need more hash mine in new pool with less hash so you get better share and profit
Pursuer
Legendary

Activity: 1638
Merit: 1163

Where is my ring of blades...

View Profile
September 22, 2017, 07:46:54 AM

I checked it out and I have to say things like this are never worth the effort and the risk. you are risking over heating and killing your hardware after all. and at the very least you will shorten the life of your hardware while getting paid a very small amount which is negligible.

if you want to mine you have to do it more seriously, with real equipment (an ASIC miner or some GPU rigs) and with cheap electricity. all the rest of the methods will never be worth the damage.

Only Bitcoin
Carmen01

Activity: 294
Merit: 101

Streamity Decentralized cryptocurrency exchange

View Profile
September 22, 2017, 08:28:39 AM

Got a notification in freebitco.in "Use your browser to passively mine bitcoin and receive mining rewards instantly to your FreeBitco.in account, credited every 5 minutes." Anyone has any idea how this works and is it worth it? Is there any chance of laptop/PC being damaged from this sort of "mining"?

its not worth it for my friends experience in telegram he use that but its like coinpot you can really earn,not big and total waste of time,try bonus bitcoin,moonbitcoin,moondoge,moonlitoshi its like that,see is to believe so try it

squatter
Legendary

Activity: 1666
Merit: 1196

STOP SNITCHIN'

View Profile
September 22, 2017, 08:45:54 AM

I checked it out and I have to say things like this are never worth the effort and the risk. you are risking over heating and killing your hardware after all. and at the very least you will shorten the life of your hardware while getting paid a very small amount which is negligible.

if you want to mine you have to do it more seriously, with real equipment (an ASIC miner or some GPU rigs) and with cheap electricity. all the rest of the methods will never be worth the damage.

I don't really think you'll overheat or kill your hardware with in-browser mining. It's limited to specifications allocated to your browser, so it might slow down performance but that's it. The flip side is that you're likely to make precisely nothing with this if they are actually using your hash rate to mine Bitcoin. If you manage to get anything out of this, my guess is that they are mining Monero. Or maybe they are just using you for ad revenue and paying out like a faucet.

TheQuin

View Profile WWW
September 22, 2017, 09:21:18 AM

I don't really think you'll overheat or kill your hardware with in-browser mining. It's limited to specifications allocated to your browser, so it might slow down performance but that's it. The flip side is that you're likely to make precisely nothing with this if they are actually using your hash rate to mine Bitcoin. If you manage to get anything out of this, my guess is that they are mining Monero. Or maybe they are just using you for ad revenue and paying out like a faucet.

You're right there is no danger overheating. There's even a control slider so you can select the % of CPU to use. I'm pretty sure it is mining Monero, from the payout rate to H/s, it fits. I've done some testing and calculated that if you're using the PC anyway then using a little bit of CPU to mine in the background is actually profitable on most modern hardware.

Pages: « 1 [2] 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: