Bitcoin Forum
April 26, 2024, 06:51:52 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 [2]  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Lots of ignorance on the board  (Read 4080 times)
fascistmuffin

Activity: 56
Merit: 0

View Profile
June 24, 2011, 05:30:25 PM

I made the following comic just for this thread. I think it sums ups what all the rational people are thinking about the whole Mtgox situation:

http://imgur.com/js4mA.png

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Gabi
Legendary

Activity: 1148
Merit: 1008

If you want to walk on water, get out of the boat

View Profile
June 24, 2011, 05:34:19 PM

Grin Grin Grin

TriumVir

View Profile
June 24, 2011, 05:35:30 PM

They don't have to ask at all. You understand that, right? They own and control the site.

This, I believe, is the attitude that will have multitudes rushing towards the door.

Live and learn.
Grinder
Legendary

Activity: 1284
Merit: 1001

View Profile
June 24, 2011, 05:39:06 PM

I can probably take the loss much easier than most people on this forum, but it's nice to know that we don't have to share the money with too many people if it turns out we'll have to go to a lawsuit to get anything back.
Bit_Happy
Legendary

Activity: 2100
Merit: 1040

A Great Time to Start Something!

View Profile
June 24, 2011, 05:43:56 PM

There is a lot of ignorance on the board.
You need to learn that if mtgox fails a second time, your money will not just be suspended; you will have a 0% chance of getting it back.

OP, somehow this one does not fit in with the others. I'm sure you are smart enough to see why?   Wink

bitsalame
Donator

Activity: 714
Merit: 510

Preaching the gospel of Satoshi

View Profile
June 25, 2011, 02:11:00 AM

Please, if you don't understand the internet or life in general, please read a book to understand the internet and then educate yourself on life in general by using the internet.

Life is learnt by living, not with the internet.
The only access to the world it's not the computer, it is your door.

Geniuses, I'll quote a dialogue from Good Will Hunting:

[ Will was behaving like a smartass, who doxed, researched and profiled his therapist Sean (Robin Williams), and mindfucked him after figuring out by cold-reading that his wife is dead after watching a painting ]

Sean: Thought about what you said to me the other day. About my painting.
Will: Oh
Sean: Stayed up half the night thinking about it. Something occurred to me. I fell into a deep, peaceful sleep and haven't thought about you since. You know what occurred to me?
Will: No
Sean: You're just a kid. You don't have the faintest idea what you're talking about.
Will: Why, thank you.
Sean: It's all right. You've never been out of Boston.
Will: Nope
Sean: So if I asked you about art, you'd probably give me the skinny... on every art book ever written. Michelangelo? You know a lot about him. Life's work, political aspirations. Him and the pope. Sexual orientation. The whole works, right? I bet you can't tell me what it smells like in the Sistine Chapel. You never actually stood there and looked up at that beautiful ceiling. Seeing that. If I ask you about women, you'll probably give me a syllabus of your personal favorites. You may have even been laid a few times. But you can't tell me what it feels like to wake up next to a woman... and feel truly happy. You're a tough kid. I ask you about war, you'd probably ah throw Shakespeare at me, right? "Once more into the breach, dear friends." But you've never been near one. You've never held your best friend's head in your lap... and watched him gasp his last breath lookin' to you for help. If I asked you about love, you'd probably quote me a sonnet, but you've never looked at a woman and been totally vulnerable. Known someone that could level you with her eyes. Feelin' like God put an angel on Earth just for you, who could rescue you from the depths of hell. And you wouldn't know what it's like to be her angel, to have that love for her be there forever. Through anything. Through cancer. And you wouldn't know about sleepin' sittin' up in a hospital room... for two months, holding her hand, because the doctors could see in your eyes... that the terms "visiting hours" don't apply to you. You don't know about real loss, 'cause that only occurs when you love something more than you love yourself. I doubt you've ever dared to love anybody that much. I look at you. I don't see an intelligent, confident man. I see a cocky, scared shitless kid. But you're a genius, Will. No one denies that. No one could possibly understand the depths of you. But you presume to know everything about me because you saw a painting of mine. You ripped my fuckin' life apart. You're an orphan, right? Do you think that I'd know the first thing about how hard your life has been - how you feel, who you are - because I read Oliver Twist? Does that encapsulate you? Personally, I don't give a shit about all that, because - You know what? I can't learn anything from you... I can't read in some fuckin' book. Unless you wanna talk about you, who you are. And I'm fascinated. I'm in. But you don't wanna do that, do you sport? You're terrified of what you might say. Your move, chief.
natman3400

Activity: 98
Merit: 10

firstbits: 1nathana

View Profile
June 25, 2011, 02:15:57 AM

I'm still afraid to post for fear of getting flamed from all directions. The OP helps a little.
Its really odd seeing threads meltdown over such things. I'm afraid that I were, for example, to say how I went about sopmething, i would get half of the people in the forums yelling, "YER DOIN IT WRONG." And then have people yell at the people yelling. And so forth. Makes me not want to post seeing all the irrationality here.

Support the BitClip project:
http://bit.ly/vghQFK
Donate to bitclip: 1BCincd4sHM1ou5QcxZ4vc4hKzsxXCpQT
Dontate to me: 1NathanAubdutd4kW4VwfcEXEWvgkqEq7V
PGP key 1: http://goo.gl/TUIWe
PGP key 2: http://goo.gl/jrfaI
Proof both keys belong to me: http://goo.gl/dQSHl
Swishercutter

Activity: 210
Merit: 100

View Profile
June 25, 2011, 02:32:47 AM

There is a lot of ignorance on the board.

To whom it may concern:

You need to learn patience.
You need to learn not to play this game if you can't afford to lose the money.
You need to learn that right now, you've only given mtgox 1 week to secure a site from every hacker in the world. Hackers have broken security to the CIA, CITI bank, the UK census, Arizona police department, Sony, and others. To advocate opening mtgox before they're ready is the most ignorant idea conceived.
You need to learn that if mtgox fails a second time, your money will not just be suspended; you will have a 0% chance of getting it back.
You need to learn that human labor is 10^9 slower than current computer processors.
You need to learn that if your account got rejected, you didn't provide enough proof for them to reasonably verify you. If a hacker were to apply and mtgox grant them access to your account with the same information, you'd throw a bitch fit. Be thankful that they scrutinize your account information to such a high degree.

Please, if you don't understand the internet or life in general, please read a book to understand the internet and then educate yourself on life in general by using the internet.

I was getting a bit annoyed reading all the comments also...how can you flame a company for not doing enough to be secure and at the same time complain that they are taking too long.  It seems pretty stupid...I feel for those who have money in the exchange...I know it sucks but what should they do just reopen and let any possible hackers using your poorly chosen passwords to log in.

Anyone can get hacked...these last few months in the news have shown that...its what they do about it afterwards that is important...I think from what I have read Mt.Gox is taking steps in the right direction.  Remember, it hasn't even been a week yet.
Bit_Happy
Legendary

Activity: 2100
Merit: 1040

A Great Time to Start Something!

View Profile
June 25, 2011, 02:44:45 AM

I'm still afraid to post for fear of getting flamed from all directions. The OP helps a little.
Its really odd seeing threads meltdown over such things. I'm afraid that I were, for example, to say how I went about sopmething, i would get half of the people in the forums yelling, "YER DOIN IT WRONG." And then have people yell at the people yelling. And so forth. Makes me not want to post seeing all the irrationality here.

Welcome natman,
Do you know much of that is people intentionally trying to degrade the forum?
There are still good threads if you look around.

lonestranger

Activity: 115
Merit: 10

I like long walks on the beach, shaving my head...

View Profile
June 25, 2011, 03:05:36 AM

If you use the Internet to learn about life you are a big

Man, that's disgraceful!  And he's just a kid.
tomcollins

Activity: 182
Merit: 101

View Profile
June 25, 2011, 03:06:47 AM

No, I've given them one more day every day for almost a week. They've never asked for a week, they always ask for just one more day.

They don't have to ask at all. You understand that, right? They own and control the site.
Whether you give them 1 day or 100 days, the site being up doesn't depend on what variable you or they believe is correct.

The variable we are waiting for is whether the site is secure. If they don't think the site is secure, they are not going to open it.

You can be pissed off or relaxed, rude or polite, your emotions aren't going to change the site being up or down.

It's the lack of professionalism that's got me worried.  The whole "one more day" thing has gotten old.  Just say you don't know, give a date you can actually meet, or stfu.
GeniuSxBoY (OP)

Activity: 616
Merit: 500

View Profile
June 25, 2011, 03:29:39 AM

It's the lack of professionalism that's got me worried.  The whole "one more day" thing has gotten old.  Just say you don't know, give a date you can actually meet, or stfu.

Pushing the date back continuously may be a nuisance, but it happens and is beyond the control of anybody in any project.

For example:

You say you can build a house in 30 days. The homeowner is stoked. The first day on the job, you order the materials. The materials arrive three days later, but they send you the wrong supplies. You call and they send the correct supplies. That is a 3 day delay on top of your initial 3 day delay, so it's day 6 and you haven't even started working on the house. The day your correct materials come, there is a hurricane that lasts several days. Now you're behind 6 more days, 12 total, because you can't pour a foundation on wet ground.

Moral of the story: No matter how professional your company is, there is no way on Earth you can predict the unpredictable. If you build the house in 90 days, you take 90 days. You're still professional, and the homeowner has no right to complain that you didn't finish the job in 30 days like you initially predicted.

Only when conditions are perfect can one accurately describe and deliver a promise time.

Be humble!
TriumVir

View Profile
June 25, 2011, 03:37:29 AM

It's the lack of professionalism that's got me worried.  The whole "one more day" thing has gotten old.  Just say you don't know, give a date you can actually meet, or stfu.

Pushing the date back continuously may be a nuisance, but it happens and is beyond the control of anybody in any project.
Balogny. When the depth of the shit hole becomes obvious enough (and by god it has), you stop exacerbating the problem by publicizing dates you have no clue whether you can make. It completely destroys confidence. Not to mention inconveniencing thousands who repeatedly have to make times on their schedules for the next announced launch . . . and I imagine that's not such an easy thing to do when it's 3:00 am in Europe.

The problems will be fixed when they get fixed. I understand that. I have no problem with that. But for god's sake these guys need to shut the eff up until they are absolutely 100% certain they will be able to meet the expectations they are creating with these relaunch dates.
GeniuSxBoY (OP)

Activity: 616
Merit: 500

View Profile
June 25, 2011, 04:10:30 AM

Mt Gox. told you exactly why the site hasn't come back yet. They're not beating around the bush here. There are mismatches between the old database and the new database. This could have been caused by anything. To find this particular bug in the code, they'll most likely have to read the code line-by-line to figure out where the error occurred.  If you've ever debugged coding, you'd know it could take as little as 1 minute to fix if you've seen the error before or have an idea where the program went wrong... to several DAYS to figure out what's going on when it appears everything is correct but you know something is wrong. 

So far the problems that have been pushing the release time back have been converging to an endpoint, not diverging. When the problems begin to diverge away from the endpoint, that's when you begin to worry. If you don't know what convergence and divergence is, please research it using the Internet before you reply.

You are overreacting and failing to put the situation in perspective.

Be humble!
Pages: « 1 [2]  All
  Print  

Jump to: