Bitcoin Forum
May 04, 2024, 03:18:53 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 [2] 3 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Do you trust whattomine.com?  (Read 3077 times)
bravetheheat

Activity: 457
Merit: 251

View Profile
September 22, 2017, 05:41:29 PM

Basically, the mining profit is not so accurate. Or, for most of case, it's not accurate at all.

You should test you mining profit by running the rig for a whole day and see its real profit.

Otherwise, you will miss some profitable coins .

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
The Bitcoin software, network, and concept is called "Bitcoin" with a capitalized "B". Bitcoin currency units are called "bitcoins" with a lowercase "b" -- this is often abbreviated BTC.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.
Vann

Activity: 1036
Merit: 606

View Profile
September 24, 2017, 04:22:25 PM
Last edit: September 24, 2017, 04:41:08 PM by Vann

Dont trust them

they are consitently way way optimistic on thier reports, for instance they still have not updated the ETHereum profits with the difficulty bomb diff increase and its been over 48 hours since that happened, this means to me they are updating the difficulties
manually or with a delayed script and not polling from the the block chains directly .

In crypto you need timely data to know when you should move your rigs to another algo or currency, whatamine is too slow for this.

By default, Whattomine.com uses a 24 hour average for difficulty and price in it's calculations. All you need to do is change it to 'Current price' and 'Current difficulty' in the sort options to use the current data.
Anndrianno

Activity: 185
Merit: 100

View Profile
September 24, 2017, 04:34:00 PM

Whattomine is a certain benchmark of course, however, since you don't switch currencies all the time you should put some of your personal analysis and mine currencies, which you personally trust and expect to grow in the future. So it is always up to you what to mine, though, ETH is a good option

Marvell2

Activity: 1148
Merit: 132

View Profile
September 24, 2017, 04:55:20 PM

Dont trust them

they are consitently way way optimistic on thier reports, for instance they still have not updated the ETHereum profits with the difficulty bomb diff increase and its been over 48 hours since that happened, this means to me they are updating the difficulties
manually or with a delayed script and not polling from the the block chains directly .

In crypto you need timely data to know when you should move your rigs to another algo or currency, whatamine is too slow for this.

By default, Whattomine.com uses a 24 hour average for difficulty and price in it's calculations. All you need to do is change it to 'Current price' and 'Current difficulty' in the sort options to use the current data.

Didn't know that , that should be the default setting though
Vann

Activity: 1036
Merit: 606

View Profile
September 24, 2017, 05:05:18 PM

Dont trust them

I think the default options give a ore accurate representation of a coins recent profitability. Difficulty and price change every minute and adjusting your mining to match that is pointless.

Didn't know that , that should be the default setting though

I think the default options give a more accurate representation of a coins recent profitability. Difficulty and price change every minute and adjusting your mining to match that is pointless. By the time you accumulate enough coins to cash out, the price will have changed.
twofreckles

Activity: 366
Merit: 250

View Profile
September 24, 2017, 07:00:48 PM

In general the source is pretty good, sometimes they don't keep up with updates, calculators might be slightly off. But there isn't one perfect webpage.

JaredKaragen
Legendary

Activity: 1848
Merit: 1165

My AR-15 ID's itself as a toaster. Want breakfast?

View Profile WWW
September 24, 2017, 11:40:24 PM

Think about the primary motive in running this site; profits.  Imagine how they can benefit from what they recommend.

Food for thought.

Link to my batch and script resources here.  

DO NOT TRUST YOBIT  -JK

Donations: 1Q8HjG8wMa3hgmDFbFHC9cADPLpm1xKHQM
Jdope

Activity: 747
Merit: 502

View Profile
September 25, 2017, 12:19:29 AM

Most of the time yes, but it isn't accurate and it can be played. Most of my mining is for coins i think will be more valued in the future, for example i maybe mining vtc for the last year, maybe it wasn't the best option for a couple of months but if i keep my coins i can sell them at a higher value later.
BitcoinPC

Activity: 812
Merit: 500

View Profile
October 31, 2017, 07:55:23 AM

Who really cares? This is information that people gather themselves and do not use websites for. I suppose you can trust them, but the info being wrong is not going to be their fault so much as the time it takes to move on that info since you did not gather it yourself. By the time that you hit one website, then another and then the mining rig configs, it is already yesterdays news.
DevelopmentBank

Activity: 406
Merit: 110

View Profile
October 31, 2017, 07:59:18 AM

Take whatever whattomine gives you with a grain of salt.

Whattomine is meant to be used as one of many other sources of information.
Always assume that what whattomine is giving you is not 100% accurate. Make sure you check with other calculators like https://nicehash.com/?p=calc
jeswin

Activity: 42
Merit: 0

View Profile
October 31, 2017, 09:00:09 AM

Yes I do trust but we have to consider the fact that frequent changes happening in rate may not get updated at that moment. We have to be more cautious.
ihagame

Activity: 37

View Profile
October 31, 2017, 09:05:29 AM

about 80% trust them, but still need to do my own caculate because sometime their number also can't be immediatly updated.
Mike011

Activity: 312
Merit: 104

View Profile
October 31, 2017, 01:21:57 PM
Last edit: October 31, 2017, 01:40:52 PM by Mike011

Compare/check with cryptocompare.com mining calc. See what gives. Whattomine is a bit late on total network hashrates, but very accurate on the prices.
Sev18

Activity: 154
Merit: 100

View Profile
October 31, 2017, 01:26:29 PM

It's realtime profitability could have some errors, but 24hr average is quite accurate.
There's not many sites that show better results than whattimine.

■■■■■■■  Multi-Algo Switching Manager - MULTIPOOL MULTIALGO Profit Switch Launcher  ■■■■■■■
■■■■■■■             https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=2041971             ■■■■■■■
■■■■■■■                           Download Now!                           ■■■■■■■
flip4flop

Activity: 378
Merit: 135

View Profile
October 31, 2017, 01:35:30 PM

You can trust whattomine. You just need to ensure you are entering the correct data into it to ensure you are getting the right output.  It can average its estimations for you but it can be more accurate if you plug in your electric costs and adjust your power and hashrate if you know what you are producing.  For 24 moving average it seems to be pretty accurate.  The problem is it does not take into account difficulty increases that may adjust the price in ways you cannot expect.  I use it alot but you cannot 100% trust anything in such a volatile market.  Use it to help you make informed decisions but dont let it be your only tool.
Edrick123

Activity: 18

View Profile
October 31, 2017, 03:19:56 PM

Ia there any other page to check beside what to mine?
jeswin

Activity: 42

View Profile
October 31, 2017, 04:19:44 PM

Correct I believe we can trust whattomine
F2b

Activity: 2078
Merit: 863

View Profile
October 31, 2017, 04:20:18 PM

I think that whattomine is a good indicator, but as said you have do do your own calculus too. And, first of all, I think we should mine a coin we believe in, and not just mine the coin that gives the most profits (even if, of course, you won't mine SHA256 or Scrypt coins  Grin).
ZenFr
Legendary

Activity: 1260
Merit: 1046

View Profile
October 31, 2017, 04:29:07 PM

Of course, I don't trust them.
Since the beginning, their numbers are allways false and I never earn what they talk about.
I espect that readers don't make there investments and ROI with these numbers. You have to do you personnal experience, see you own numbers and make your own mathematics.
Etherion

Activity: 512
Merit: 260

View Profile
November 01, 2017, 09:18:15 AM

So I have been using whattomine.com a lot and I think I see where things go wrong.

whattomine.com is 100% correct when answering the one specific question. The question is not clear to most people and each person tries to answer there own question with the answer given by whattomine. And that is going to give you mixed results.

It looks like whattomine.com uses the spot exchange rate of that coin to calculate profit. always. regardless of the windows average that you set for sort(Profitability) and difficulty.

It is like asking: if I where to mine for 24h/3days/7days what would be my profit if I sold now. Not a bad questions to ask if you were doing that though. It is not the same as if I were selling my coins shortly after I get them. Like most do.

So one needs to first understand the question that whattomine is answering before asking more questions and using wtm answer for that.
Pages: « 1 [2] 3 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: