Bitcoin Forum
March 29, 2024, 02:45:12 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 26.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Very first "bitcoin-0.1.5.rar"  (Read 972 times)
imjustagirl (OP)

Activity: 118
Merit: 11

View Profile
September 23, 2017, 05:39:53 PM

Hi,
I have been looking all over the internet to find that very first bitcoin release "bitcoin-0.1.5.rar" with bitcoin.exe.
Can't find it anywhere! If anyone has the original file, would you please please please please very very please send it to me!
Thank you  Smiley

1JPnqMd1Q43L3KbZ7SoTSdRCD2aLj2sikF Tip Me!
If you see garbage posts (off-topic, trolling, spam, no point, etc.), use the "report to moderator" links. All reports are investigated, though you will rarely be contacted about your reports.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
achow101
Legendary
expert

Activity: 3346
Merit: 6473

Just writing some code

View Profile WWW
September 23, 2017, 05:52:32 PM

Code and binaries for the first releases are available here: http://satoshi.nakamotoinstitute.org/code/

imjustagirl (OP)

View Profile
September 24, 2017, 06:14:16 AM

Thank you  Kiss I suppose it's better than nothing. Still not the 0.1.5 version I was looking for  Cry

cr1776
Legendary

Activity: 3990
Merit: 1295

View Profile
September 24, 2017, 10:07:06 AM
Last edit: September 24, 2017, 04:48:55 PM by cr1776

Thank you  Kiss I suppose it's better than nothing. Still not the 0.1.5 version I was looking for  Cry

Try here:

https://github.com/bitcoin/bitcoin/releases?after=v0.2.2

There is a zip and a tar of 0.1.5 on the bottom of that page.  That isn’t the first release, but the one you asked for.
achow101
Legendary
expert

Just writing some code

View Profile WWW
September 24, 2017, 03:34:58 PM

Thank you  Kiss I suppose it's better than nothing. Still not the 0.1.5 version I was looking for  Cry
0.1.5 is not the very first release. 0.1.0 is, and 0.1.3 was released shortly after 0.1.0. There is almost no difference between 0.1.0, 0.1.3, and 0.1.5. Why do you want specifically 0.1.5?

AtheistAKASaneBrain

Activity: 770
Merit: 509

View Profile
September 24, 2017, 04:05:40 PM

Thank you  Kiss I suppose it's better than nothing. Still not the 0.1.5 version I was looking for  Cry
0.1.5 is not the very first release. 0.1.0 is, and 0.1.3 was released shortly after 0.1.0. There is almost no difference between 0.1.0, 0.1.3, and 0.1.5. Why do you want specifically 0.1.5?

I arrived here in the times of 0.7 and I just realized we are back to 0.15. Why is this? I guess the number of the version went back to 0.1 when Bitcoin-QT was renamed to Bitcoin Core? but why would you change the number of the version?

Well I guess it makes sense because we were getting way too close to 1.0 and we are obvious years away from calling the client "final version" (is it even possible to call it final version ever? It will always keep improving I presume)

Edit: Oh wait I just realized this:

https://bitcoin.org/en/version-history

It looks like the number just keeps increasing. It's confusing because 0.9 looks closer to 1.0 than 0.15 to me.
achow101
Legendary
expert

Just writing some code

View Profile WWW
September 24, 2017, 04:12:18 PM
Merited by ABCbits (1)

I arrived here in the times of 0.7 and I just realized we are back to 0.15. Why is this? I guess the number of the version went back to 0.1 when Bitcoin-QT was renamed to Bitcoin Core? but why would you change the number of the version?

Well I guess it makes sense because we were getting way too close to 1.0 and we are obvious years away from calling the client "final version" (is it even possible to call it final version ever? It will always keep improving I presume)

It looks like the number just keeps increasing. It's confusing because 0.9 looks closer to 1.0 than 0.15 to me.
The version number was not reset to 0.1. It kept increasing. After 0.9 was 0.10, then 0.11, etc. Notice how there is no dot (.) between the numbers. It is a higher number. It is highly unlikely that there will ever be a 1.0 release because that would indicate some level of finality, and we don't want that nor can we agree at what point should there be a 1.0 release. Right now it seems that we might just keep incrementing that middle number to infinity. I am in favor of just dropping the 0. in front of the version number or changing our version number scheme to the one used by Ubuntu (2-digit year followed by 2-digit month for the year and month that the release was made).

miguelmorales85

Activity: 544
Merit: 506

View Profile
September 24, 2017, 05:38:27 PM

The version number was not reset to 0.1. It kept increasing. After 0.9 was 0.10, then 0.11, etc. Notice how there is no dot (.) between the numbers. It is a higher number. It is highly unlikely that there will ever be a 1.0 release because that would indicate some level of finality, and we don't want that nor can we agree at what point should there be a 1.0 release. Right now it seems that we might just keep incrementing that middle number to infinity. I am in favor of just dropping the 0. in front of the version number or changing our version number scheme to the one used by Ubuntu (2-digit year followed by 2-digit month for the year and month that the release was made).

I understand the never-release-1.0 thing but isnt software made to be always evolving? There is never a final release of a software just because it is 1.0
I mean you can have 1.1 , 1.11 and so and so..
cr1776
Legendary

View Profile
September 24, 2017, 07:29:29 PM

I understand the never-release-1.0 thing but isnt software made to be always evolving? There is never a final release of a software just because it is 1.0

You can.

Satoshi wanted to go to 1.3 in 2010 - from 0.3

edit:
Link: https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=217.0
imjustagirl (OP)

View Profile
September 24, 2017, 08:59:19 PM

That earlier version suits my purposes just fine, I wanted to look at how it actually was, when I was too young to understand it  Smiley
But for some very odd reason bitcoin.org used to have that version "bitcoin-0.1.5.rar" and its just nowhere to be found. I mean the code is there, but the already built version just vanished from the whole internet, I couldn't find it in any of ftp sites, or software resources, etc. It's a conspiracy theory I say  Shocked

achow101
Legendary
expert

Just writing some code

View Profile WWW
September 24, 2017, 09:15:35 PM

That earlier version suits my purposes just fine, I wanted to look at how it actually was, when I was too young to understand it  Smiley
But for some very odd reason bitcoin.org used to have that version "bitcoin-0.1.5.rar" and its just nowhere to be found. I mean the code is there, but the already built version just vanished from the whole internet, I couldn't find it in any of ftp sites, or software resources, etc. It's a conspiracy theory I say  Shocked
It really is not a conspiracy theory. Bitcoin.org stopped hosting the older versions mostly because they ran out of disk space on their servers for a while so those had to be removed to make way for the newer versions. I don't believe that that is a problem anymore now, but the old ones are not being reposted because I don't think anyone actually has the old released binaries anymore.

AtheistAKASaneBrain

Activity: 770
Merit: 509

View Profile
September 25, 2017, 12:27:59 PM

You can.

edit:

Im not sure if caling Bitcoin 1.3 would be a good idea. 1.0 means usually "final version". If you add additional numbers behind 1.x, that x just means patches that fixes bugs but the final design is already there.

Maybe Satoshi wanted to call it 1.x+ because he wanted Bitcoin to stay as it was for life and additional changes would be just that, bug fixes over the same design (which would mean no blocksize increases btw). Well we will never know what Satoshi exactly wanted, what matters is now and I think 1.x sounds too much like "final version" to me so we might as well keep increasing the 0.x number into infinity.
cr1776
Legendary

View Profile
September 25, 2017, 01:08:43 PM

You can.

edit:

Im not sure if caling Bitcoin 1.3 would be a good idea. 1.0 means usually "final version". If you add additional numbers behind 1.x, that x just means patches that fixes bugs but the final design is already there.

Maybe Satoshi wanted to call it 1.x+ because he wanted Bitcoin to stay as it was for life and additional changes would be just that, bug fixes over the same design (which would mean no blocksize increases btw). Well we will never know what Satoshi exactly wanted, what matters is now and I think 1.x sounds too much like "final version" to me so we might as well keep increasing the 0.x number into infinity.

You can read his thoughts in the link above.  In short, he wanted it to "lose the Beta".  But then at the end of the thread just figured it would stay at 0.3.  This was 2010, remember.
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: