Bitcoin Forum
May 12, 2024, 01:52:18 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1] 2 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Where was Bitcoin in 2010?  (Read 3376 times)
AngelusWebDesign (OP)

Activity: 392
Merit: 250

View Profile
June 24, 2011, 06:33:33 PM

For those who found out about Bitcoin in 2010, how did you find out about it?

Reddit? Digg? Word of mouth? (If so, what kind of groups do you hang out with, and what part of the country do you live in?)

Here's what I'm getting at:

Pesonally, I've been into number-crunching "distributed computing" projects for years. I dabbled in several projects using BOINC (ClimatePrediction.net, etc.) and didn't get a single red cent for doing so. I used to look at the main homepage for distributed computing -- distributedcomputing.info -- to see if "maybe today" they added some good projects -- maybe even ones that could make a few cents each week!

Here's the real irony: Since I switched to Linux, which was last summer -- I installed BOINC and joined one of the projects available to participate in (only some would work on Linux). I ran it for a few days, then realized I was spending electricity for nothing, and quit.

But my point is: I was looking for a distributed computing project like Bitcoins -- it would have been a dream for me! But it wasn't even mentioned on distributedcomputing.info. If it wasn't mentioned there, where was it mentioned?

Even if BTC were only $0.25 each, even if you couldn't buy anything with them -- I would have "been there" and really got into it. I'm not just saying this with 20/20 hindsight...as I said, I spend a lot MORE time getting nothing but a score with projects like this (distributed computing).

So my question is -- HOW did everyone else who discovered it before, say, May 2011, find out about it?  I'm lucky I kept an eye on Cryptogon.com -- he mentioned it on his blog, and that's when I found out about it.

Matthew

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Transactions must be included in a block to be properly completed. When you send a transaction, it is broadcast to miners. Miners can then optionally include it in their next blocks. Miners will be more inclined to include your transaction if it has a higher transaction fee.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
wumpus

Activity: 812
Merit: 1022

No Maps for These Territories

View Profile
June 24, 2011, 06:36:54 PM

through hacker news, I think

Bitcoin Core developer [PGP] Warning: For most, coin loss is a larger risk than coin theft. A disk can die any time. Regularly back up your wallet through FileBackup Wallet to an external storage or the (encrypted!) cloud. Use a separate offline wallet for storing larger amounts.
Bit_Happy
Legendary

Activity: 2100
Merit: 1040

A Great Time to Start Something!

View Profile
June 24, 2011, 06:38:04 PM

I can't remember where I first saw it, but I sure wish I'd paid more attention. I was aware of BTC when they were only < 0.05 each, and did not act.

raf

Activity: 13
Merit: 0

View Profile
June 24, 2011, 06:40:23 PM

i had seen it mentioned on 4chans /g/ a few times last year but i always considered it a scam of some sorts. if only i had started when i first seen it mentioned   Cry
nazgulnarsil

Activity: 672
Merit: 258

https://cryptassist.io

View Profile
June 24, 2011, 06:43:51 PM

mentioned on modeled behavior and marginal revolution, didn't do me much good because even though I read those blogs I somehow missed it.

THE ONE STOP SOLUTION FOR THE CRYPTO WORLD
▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄
Facebook   /  Twitter   /  Reddit   /  Medium   /  Youtube   /
      ▄▄█████████▄▄
   ▄█████████████████▄
  █████▀▀  ███  ▀▀█████
 ████     █████     ████
████     ███████
███▀    ████ ████
███▄   ████   ████
████  ████▄▄▄▄▄████  ████
 ███████████████████████
  █████▄▄       ▄▄█████
   ▀█████████████████▀
      ▀▀█████████▀▀

▄██▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀██▄
▄██▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀██▄
▄█▀                       ▀█▄
▄▄▄▄ ▄█                           █▄ ▄▄▄▄
█   ███▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀███   █
▀▀█▀                                 ▀█▀▀
▄▀                                     ▀▄
▄▄▀▄▄▄▄                                 ▄▄▄▄▀▄▄
█       ▀▀▄                           ▄▀▀       █
█          █                         █          █
█▀▀▄▄▄▄▄▄▄███▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀███▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▀▀█
▒▀▄       ██▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀█▀█▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀██       ▄▀▒
▒█▀▀▀▀▄▄  █              ▀              █  ▄▄▀▀▀▀█▒
▒█      █ ▀▄                           ▄▀ █      █▒
▒▀▄▀▄▄▄▄▀  █▀▀▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▀▀█  ▀▄▄▄▄▀▄▀▒
▒▒▒▀▄▄▄▄▄ █                             █ ▄▄▄▄▄▀▒▒▒
 ▒▒▒▒▒▒▀▀▀▀▀▄▄▄▄▄▄███████████████▄▄▄▄▄▄▀▀▀▀▒▒▒▒▒▒▒
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
ptd

Activity: 114
Merit: 10

View Profile
June 24, 2011, 06:47:26 PM

Kiba posted on Eric Raymond's blog asking for his opinion about it.
FlipPro
Legendary

Activity: 1764
Merit: 1015

View Profile
June 24, 2011, 07:00:47 PM

I have been aware of their existence for years. I was aware when they were worth a few cents a coin but didn't act then. I curse at myself every day for that, but then I realize that we're STILL EARLY guys. This is just the beginning ! If you don't have the mining power, come up with useful services for people, and only take bitcoins ! There are a billion ideas out there that you can do to print bitcoins ! Just get to work !
Mousepotato

Activity: 896
Merit: 1000

Seal Cub Clubbing Club

View Profile
June 24, 2011, 07:05:53 PM

Yesterday Sad

Mousepotato
iya

Activity: 81

View Profile
June 24, 2011, 07:17:22 PM

Where was Bitcoin in 2009?
clint25n

Activity: 840

View Profile
June 24, 2011, 07:20:31 PM

If we can only somehow come up with 1.21 Gigawatts of electricity, we can start mining in 2009.
Who's with me?  Grin
CurbsideProphet

Activity: 672
Merit: 500

View Profile
June 24, 2011, 07:23:13 PM

If we can only somehow come up with 1.21 Gigawatts of electricity, we can start mining in 2009.
Who's with me?  Grin

I'll provide the DeLorean if you provide the flux capacitor.

1ProphetnvP8ju2SxxRvVvyzCtTXDgLPJV
Grant

Activity: 210
Merit: 100

View Profile
June 24, 2011, 07:48:59 PM

For those who found out about Bitcoin in 2010, how did you find out about it?

I've been searching for virtual currencies since 2006, in my search for what's needed for our coming internet 2.0

I found lots of internesting ideas along the way, but it took me till December 2010 to find one mention of bitcoin. I'm not exactly sure where i found it, but i got linked to Satoshis paper (from 2008) after some random googling one late night. My instant reaction was OMG, which soon converted to "This is too good to be true", after more reading about it my mind went "This thing is exactly what the world needs now".

And then i figured bitcoin is a bubble when it was 0.25 so i bought for only a fraction of the money i had deposited to mtgox  Angry I was thinking a correction must come, so i placed lots of orders well below 0.25, and literally quit bitcoin all together until end of may when i saw a mention of bitcoin at the last place i'd think i'd hear about it. I checked bitcoincharts, google trends, alexa...

I learned then, NOW the time has come, now that everybody is into bitcoin, its a bubble for sure. My original goal was to only 10 times my investment, having learned the .com lesson from my dad and promised myself to never repeat his mistake i took the decision this is the time, at $8.5 its pure speculation. I sold all my bitcoins at $8.5. Only to watch the rallies in the coming days, first it broke $10, then $15.... This was painful to watch, i ended up accumulating bitcoins (and yes i manged to sell off before the peak collapsed, thanks to s3052's subscription service!)

I'm once again almost completely sold out of bitcoins. But i'm nolonger convinced it's a bubble, nor that it's too good to be true. Now i think it's an idea who's time has come, but as with any ideas who's time has come it will have to pass the most painful tests. I think mtgox "test" is only the beginning. The crash we saw to $10 was just a warmup, prepare yourself for increased volatility in the future, this baby is still young and its controversial as hell.

That was an extended way to explain how i found bitcoin, but it was fun! Smiley
Crystal Excursion

Activity: 98

I'm Crazy about Bitcoin, trading Quartz for BTC

View Profile WWW
June 24, 2011, 07:51:26 PM

Back in December I chanced upon one of those first YouTube Bitcoin Video's, the animated ones. It was the Freedom Concept that really got me...

Hey.. Skype Me.. Beffjaker
see my website, PM if Interested, Thanks !
SlipperySlope

Activity: 686
Merit: 501

Stephen Reed

View Profile
June 24, 2011, 09:51:07 PM

From Slashdot ...

http://news.slashdot.org/story/10/07/11/1747245/Bitcoin-Releases-Version-03

July 11, 2010.  The following day I generated 2 blocks on my just-configured quad-core CPU miner.  Then I ran the miner for the next several weeks before shutting it down.  There was a huge spike in difficulty and there were no pools back then to keep me going.
ribuck
Donator

Activity: 826
Merit: 1039

View Profile
June 24, 2011, 09:54:50 PM

I also heard about Bitcoin from the July 2010 Slashdot article.

A series of problems meant that I couldn't start mining until the difficulty increases had almost made CPU mining impractical. Then I waited too many months before making the decision to get a 5870 GPU card.
Tronlet

Activity: 224

View Profile
June 24, 2011, 09:55:09 PM

I completely forget where I heard about it, but I had heard about it, I think when it was around 2 bucks, and I thought it was a cool idea. Skip forward to June 2011, when I am finally actually getting involved. Tongue

Prze_koles

Activity: 156

View Profile
June 24, 2011, 09:57:53 PM

I heard about Bitcoin in december 2010. I don't know why I didn't buy any mining rigs or BTC then Sad

1FzTJh1C58m1gqnNzxLTt2ryNYkuk1YdfN
xenon481

Activity: 406

View Profile
June 24, 2011, 10:18:19 PM

Yesterday Sad

All my troubles seemed so far away.

Tips Appreciated: 171TQ2wJg7bxj2q68VNibU75YZB22b7ZDr
Superform

Activity: 56
Merit: 0

View Profile
June 24, 2011, 10:24:50 PM

slashdot spin off
Alex Beckenham

Activity: 154

View Profile
June 24, 2011, 10:31:13 PM

slashdot spin off

Likewise, but for the most part I thought I came in off the 'USD parity' article this year... but recently something triggered in my memory and I *really* vaguely remember seeing the very first Slashdot article about it (when it would have been < $0.04) and didn't get into it.

Pages: [1] 2 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: