Poll
Question: Are you upgrading?
Yes - 46 (78%)
No - 7 (11.9%)
Maybe - 6 (10.2%)
Total Voters: 59

Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Poll: Bitcoin-Qt Version 0.8.2  (Read 1035 times)
The 4ner (OP)
aka newbitcoinqtuser

Activity: 602
Merit: 500

R.I.P Silk Road 1.0

View Profile
May 30, 2013, 04:38:35 PM
Last edit: May 31, 2013, 04:31:50 PM by The 4ner

So the new version is out, and if I recall correctly there was some controversy regarding the exclusion of small payments. Now, from what it looks like, Gavin has released a stable version of 0.8.2 (https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=219504.0), and I'd like to know how many in the community are upgrading and how many are still aroused about certain payments being excluded from the blockchain? Vote away!
escrow.ms
Legendary

Activity: 1274
Merit: 1004

View Profile
May 30, 2013, 04:46:50 PM

I'm upgrading as i hardly do small transactions.

MysteryMiner
Legendary

Activity: 1498
Merit: 1042

Death to enemies!

View Profile
May 30, 2013, 06:04:28 PM

Will upgrade eventually just for the little memory and performance gains (I'm using Pentium4 2.0GHz Socket423 768MB RD-RAM right now).

There should be user configurable options for the small transaction handling. Developer team dictating how software and network enforce arbitrary rules are bad.

The small inputs from faucets already were problematic on tx fees since version 0.3.21

bc1q59y5jp2rrwgxuekc8kjk6s8k2es73uawprre4j
The 4ner (OP)
aka newbitcoinqtuser

Activity: 602
Merit: 500

R.I.P Silk Road 1.0

View Profile
May 30, 2013, 06:28:09 PM
Last edit: May 30, 2013, 07:30:20 PM by The 4ner

Can I have this thread moved to Bitcoin Discussion? I feel that by me placing it under Off-Topic it will very likely be ignored and not receive sufficient votes to make the poll a worthy source of info.
ikal

Activity: 434
Merit: 250

View Profile
May 31, 2013, 12:37:16 AM

Hi everyone

I use 0.8.3 with win 7

because 0.8.3 really reduce the p2pool "Bitcoind GetBlockTemplate Latency" limit in 1s, my pool is Getwork Latency
-Mean: 0.333s

so I accept 0.8.2
escrow.ms
Legendary

Activity: 1274

View Profile
May 31, 2013, 03:33:34 AM

Hi everyone

I use 0.8.3 with win 7

because 0.8.3 really reduce the p2pool "Bitcoind GetBlockTemplate Latency" limit in 1s, my pool is Getwork Latency
-Mean: 0.333s

so I accept 0.8.2

0.8.2 is the latest version, How can you use 0.8.3 O.o
westkybitcoins
Legendary

Activity: 980

Firstbits: Compromised. Thanks, Android!

View Profile
May 31, 2013, 06:06:16 AM

It's a default setting that can be turned off (reduced to 0.00000001 BTC, anyway, IIRC.) There's no reason for me to not upgrade, especially since I'm pretty leery of SatoshiDice's benefit to Bitcoin.

Even refusing to upgrade in protest would do no more for me than just upgrading and reducing the minimum.

Bitcoin is the ultimate freedom test. It tells you who is giving lip service and who genuinely believes in it.
In the future, books that summarize the history of money will have a line that says, “and then came bitcoin.” It is the economic singularity. And we are living in it now. - Ryan Dickherber
ATTENTION BFL MINING NEWBS: Just got your Jalapenos in? Wondering how to get the most value for the least hassle? Give BitMinter a try! It's a smaller pool with a fair & low-fee payment method, lots of statistical feedback, and it's easier than EasyMiner! (Yes, we want your hashing power, but seriously, it IS the easiest pool to use! Sign up in seconds to try it!)
The idea that deflation causes hoarding (to any problematic degree) is a lie used to justify theft of value from your savings.
Eri

Activity: 264

View Profile
May 31, 2013, 01:09:56 PM

Since this thread is short ill add this in plain text.(for everyone saying No or Maybe or Yes and not understanding)

(simplified!!)This update prevents people from sending amounts that would cost you more BTC to send, then you just received.

A transaction doesnt just link to a number, it links to each source transaction. so sending BTC from many many tiny transactions will make the fee so high that your spending more to send it then you have.

Simplified example.

You receive  1$ in 1 penny transactions. the fee to send it is 1.25$ because of the size of the data included to make that transaction. if you had received 1$ in a 1$ transaction the fee to send that 1$ would have been 1 penny.

This update prevents you from losing money for work on random sites. But and i want to highly stress this. you shouldnt send(or want to receive) amounts near that amount anyway. since most of it will be lost via a transaction fee!
cWq34#9tH-3

Activity: 98
Merit: 10

View Profile
June 12, 2013, 01:04:17 AM

I don't mine bitcoin. I just use the client as a wallet and I'm wondering that since I have to pay to process MY transactions... Is there a setting where I can set the client to refuse transactions unless I get paid? I apologize if this is a stupid question. I am new to this.
BitcoinAshley

Activity: 448

View Profile
June 12, 2013, 02:59:16 AM

I don't mine bitcoin. I just use the client as a wallet and I'm wondering that since I have to pay to process MY transactions... Is there a setting where I can set the client to refuse transactions unless I get paid? I apologize if this is a stupid question. I am new to this.

You are not a miner so this is not relevant. No worries.  Grin

Consider the 0.8.2 dust tx change this way: The MAF sensor on your car might have some fancy security torx bit holding it on. The only reason it has this and not a normal philips screw or hex head is that the carmaker had some deal with Torx so that Torx could sell more proprietary bits. It was unnecessarily complicated and required a special tool.
Gavin took the car and replaced the fancy torx bit with a normal hex head. So now (to mix metaphors) instead of reconfiguring and recompiling the code, something many miners would have no idea how to do (Since they don't own a fancy torx bit) they can just stick the standard hex wrench into their .conf file and choose which size tx to accept.

Now, we can argue all we want about the default being set to a certain value, but the increased configurability is not as  controversial seeing as it already kind of existed... it was just a little obscure.
kodo

Activity: 42
Merit: 0

View Profile
June 12, 2013, 04:04:58 AM

Yes it works fine
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: