Bitcoin Forum
May 07, 2024, 01:07:57 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 [2]  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Good Network Switch?  (Read 1293 times)
Vann

Activity: 1036
Merit: 606

View Profile
September 30, 2017, 04:43:50 AM

If you want to be pretty certain about not having the router's firmware crash on you and interrupting your connectivity within the LAN; try using an unmanaged switch for those critical devices and then linking the unmanaged switch to the router.  As long as you're not relying on too many of the advanced features on a managed switch - this should provide you with the simplest, most robust Ethernet possible.

There is no point to buying a managed switch for a mining situation (unless you get a used one DIRT cheap).

From a security standpoint, setting up miners on their own VLAN is a good idea and enhances network performance by eliminating crosstalk and broadcast traffic with other devices on the LAN. Netgear ProSAFE Layer 2 switches are a good and inexpensive option.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QnHY5owtkHA

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
According to NIST and ECRYPT II, the cryptographic algorithms used in Bitcoin are expected to be strong until at least 2030. (After that, it will not be too difficult to transition to different algorithms.)
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.
Cryptopriest

Activity: 35
Merit: 0

View Profile
September 30, 2017, 08:18:46 AM

I used various TPLink switches past 5 years, never had issues, they work as they should.
QuintLeo
Legendary

Activity: 1498
Merit: 1030

View Profile
September 30, 2017, 07:57:49 PM

Unifi is the best price/quality in the market.

Who?

Can't say I've ever heard OF them.

I'm no longer legendary just in my own mind!
Like something I said? Donations gratefully accepted. LYLnTKvLefz9izJFUvEGQEZzSkz34b3N6U (Litecoin)
1GYbjMTPdCuV7dci3iCUiaRrcNuaiQrVYY (Bitcoin)
QuintLeo
Legendary

View Profile
September 30, 2017, 07:59:45 PM

I used various TPLink switches past 5 years, never had issues, they work as they should.

"past 5 years" counts as recently.

A LOT of my Netgear switches are pushing 20 and still working.
 I still have a 3Com switch I bought USED almost 25 years ago that's still working well.

Like something I said? Donations gratefully accepted. LYLnTKvLefz9izJFUvEGQEZzSkz34b3N6U (Litecoin)
buzzkillb

Activity: 1021
Merit: 324

View Profile
September 30, 2017, 08:41:35 PM

Currently running a Ubiquiti edgerouter, POE switch, managed switch, and 3 wifi AP's. They all just work.
siforek (OP)

Activity: 140
Merit: 100

View Profile
September 30, 2017, 09:37:23 PM

I've got 3 different Netgear switches here, all of which suck big time.

Are they the plastic-case consumer grade junk, or are they the metal-case PRO grade gear that tends to work VERY reliably and last a VERY long time?

It's a night and day difference between the 2 lines - almost like Netgear farms out the plastic-case junk to DLink or Linksys.....

FS108, GS108, GS105 are all very reliable switch lines - some of my "original style" FS108 are pushing 20 YEARS of usage despite rarely having the luxury of living in an air-conditioned environment.

I too would tend to suspect issues with whatever router you are using before I'd consider a pro-line Netgear switch to be bad.

Could also be the cable(s).

They're all the metal ones. Thus far I've been able to determine my issue is not the switches. I have since replaced my router with a Linksys WRT AC3200. I haven't had any issues with my switches since, however once or more a day I lose internet connectivity to my router. I've had the fiber tech out & replaced the ONT but am still having issues. It's like my old router didn't play well with my switches & my new one doesn't like the ONT. If I were able to configure a static IP I think that'd fix it but with my fiber service that is not possible, I just have to release/renew my IP & it goes back up.

Anyway it's the nature of the beast. Just going to have to watch it closely & troubleshoot more as it happens.
siforek (OP)

View Profile
September 30, 2017, 09:39:44 PM

If you want to be pretty certain about not having the router's firmware crash on you and interrupting your connectivity within the LAN; try using an unmanaged switch for those critical devices and then linking the unmanaged switch to the router.  As long as you're not relying on too many of the advanced features on a managed switch - this should provide you with the simplest, most robust Ethernet possible.

There is no point to buying a managed switch for a mining situation (unless you get a used one DIRT cheap).

From a security standpoint, setting up miners on their own VLAN is a good idea and enhances network performance by eliminating crosstalk and broadcast traffic with other devices on the LAN. Netgear ProSAFE Layer 2 switches are a good and inexpensive option.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QnHY5owtkHA

I thought about doing this with my new router. I've done it before at work & was pretty simple. You really think it'd make that much of a difference? Reduce stales possibly?
QuintLeo
Legendary

View Profile
October 01, 2017, 11:36:06 PM

Currently running a Ubiquiti edgerouter, POE switch, managed switch, and 3 wifi AP's. They all just work.

Oh, Ubiquiti

That's another story - they aim at Cisco for their competition, not any "lesser" brands.
 I think they used to consider their only "peers" to be Cisco, Northern Telecom, and PERHAPS 3Com at the bottom end of their range.

zer0k

Activity: 349
Merit: 250

View Profile WWW
October 02, 2017, 05:25:41 PM

When it comes to network products there is only one number one in the world. That is without a single doubt the CISCO NETWORKS SYSTEM. Their routers, modems and switches are the best in class and cannot be compared to anything else in this field. These costs a lot compared to other switches devices. I would suggest for a medium  price/quality range the D-Link switch, it works very well and if your internet connection and your cables are of good quality you don't need to restart it almost everyday. I speak from personal experience, I have all work switches of this brand and rarely we have had to restart them.

Except for Juniper of course  Grin

Chicago

Activity: 592
Merit: 259

View Profile
October 02, 2017, 10:07:45 PM

... and don't expect anything good from the Cisco Small Business RV series routers.

--- buggy as Vietnam!
QuintLeo
Legendary

View Profile
October 03, 2017, 01:17:16 AM

... and don't expect anything good from the Cisco Small Business RV series routers.

--- buggy as Vietnam!

I think their "small business" line is actually rebranded LinkSys products (they bought out LinkSys some years back).

Marvell2

Activity: 1148
Merit: 132

View Profile
October 03, 2017, 08:00:59 AM

Oh, Ubiquiti

That's another story - they aim at Cisco for their competition, not any "lesser" brands.
 I think they used to consider their only "peers" to be Cisco, Northern Telecom, and PERHAPS 3Com at the bottom end of their range.

Thier management tools are so awseome, you can see and control the switches wireless routers all from the same UI

Im buying another 24 port Ubiquti switch next week
siforek (OP)

View Profile
October 26, 2017, 02:10:47 PM

I could probably buy 2 or 3 of the most expensive managed switches with the coin I would have made without these issues in the last 2 months.. I have narrowed it down to this same thing: https://www.reddit.com/r/EtherMining/comments/6xkau1/simplemining_os_with_5_or_6_gtx_1070s_makes/

Network storms!? Tried different OSs, 4 different routers & 3 (albeit netgear) switches. I'm bypassing the switch completely to see if that is in fact the issue & if so after praising the Lord I'll get a Cisco.

Someone said a managed switch with spanning tree functionality could prevent network storms?
adaseb
Legendary

Activity: 3752
Merit: 1710

View Profile
October 26, 2017, 05:24:52 PM

Honestly just use some old routers you got laying around. Connect them to each other and each router will give you at least 3 ( or 4 if last one) connections.

.BEST..CHANGE.███████████████
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
███████████████
..BUY/ SELL CRYPTO..
siforek (OP)

View Profile
October 26, 2017, 11:00:44 PM

Honestly just use some old routers you got laying around. Connect them to each other and each router will give you at least 3 ( or 4 if last one) connections.

Then there's a double NAT & higher latency right?
Za1n
Legendary

Activity: 1078
Merit: 1011

View Profile
October 27, 2017, 01:03:40 AM

My vote is used Cisco gear, especially switches as you can get good deals and they are pretty robust and reliable. If you want new equipment I also like the Ubiquiti brand as a few others have mentioned.

I recently purchased the Edge Router Lite from Ubiquiti as my old second-hand Cisco router wasn't keeping up when I recently upgraded 100+ mbps service from my ISP. The old router was limited to about 60 mbps throughput, while the Ubiquiti can go to 1 gig depending on how much traffic inspection and manipulation you intend on doing. The router is sub $100 and has a lot of nice enterprise type features. My main attraction though with the 3 port Lite was the ability to configure a secondary ISP for load balancing or just plain fail-over. I had an incident over the summer where my cable modem was down several hours various times over a week period before they fixed it. Let's just say I lost more in mining income that a secondary ISP would cost

For the switches I am still running the second-hand Cisco's, as they do what I need, but I may look into Ubiquiti's Wireless Access Points and IP camera lines as I want to build out some more. But in any case, I think stay away from the typical cheap home brands such as LinkSys, Netgear, etc., as while they are fine for a few computers/devices, once you start adding many mining rigs on top of your normal networked devices, things can get start getting wonky.
Pages: « 1 [2]  All
  Print  

Jump to: