Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: PPLNS  (Read 888 times)
shine_ (OP)

Activity: 2
Merit: 0

View Profile
September 26, 2017, 03:34:42 PM

Hi, I wanted to clarify a couple of things regarding PPLNS pool system. As far as I understand, your shares are evenly distributed to average shares needed for a round. What I'm trying to say - if the round is shorter than average, some part of your shares go to the next round. And if the round is longer, it'e being cut. Is it correct ? Also I'm curious about a couple of things :
  • Is it possible to get shares for multiple rounds ahead ? Let's say we're super lucky for 5 rounds in a row and hit them 10 times faster than usual
  • How exactly nanopool system works ? They have PPLNS over time. So if the time is 20 minutes, I'm getting my shares averaged out for next 20 minutes or what ?
  • Is there some possibility to get advantage/disadvantage mining at specific time ? Like pool hopping or something
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
AlphaWolf

Activity: 217
Merit: 120

Presale is live!

View Profile
September 27, 2017, 09:29:04 PM

Hi, I wanted to clarify a couple of things regarding PPLNS pool system. As far as I understand, your shares are evenly distributed to average shares needed for a round. What I'm trying to say - if the round is shorter than average, some part of your shares go to the next round. And if the round is longer, it'e being cut. Is it correct ? Also I'm curious about a couple of things :
  • Is it possible to get shares for multiple rounds ahead ? Let's say we're super lucky for 5 rounds in a row and hit them 10 times faster than usual
  • How exactly nanopool system works ? They have PPLNS over time. So if the time is 20 minutes, I'm getting my shares averaged out for next 20 minutes or what ?
  • Is there some possibility to get advantage/disadvantage mining at specific time ? Like pool hopping or something

It is not possible to get shares for multiple rounds. At least unknown as positive for me.
About how it works, you can see here - https://eth.nanopool.org/help
Pool hopping is a waste of time.

doublebit21

Activity: 173
Merit: 100

View Profile
October 04, 2017, 09:53:22 AM

First of all, if you’re talking about PPLNS it’s important to understand how it works. One round is the time between the first share after the last found block and the share which solves a block. PPLNS however means that we no longer consider valid shares of one round, but we consider a number N of shares, no matter if they’re apart of the round or not. The number N is currently for each blockchain twice the difficulty (actually rounded down to an easy to calculate integer value). The important point is that you as loyal pool member have an advantage over pool hoppers. Even if you only mine occasionally, such as if you want silence in your mining room for once, you still have an advantage.
BitcoinPC

Activity: 812
Merit: 500

View Profile
October 31, 2017, 03:25:26 PM

Suffice it to say this and be less complicated.  PPLNS is best for those that jump the pools. You can use it either way, but that is the best use for that protocol. If a site is fairly trusted and used that protocol, then it is going to be the same. I hope you get this point clear here.
kano
Legendary

Activity: 4494
Merit: 1808

Linux since 1997 RedHat 4

View Profile
November 01, 2017, 06:32:06 AM

Point 1:
Anyone who makes any comment about loyalty and not hopping does not understand PPLNS.
PPLNS is hop-proof for all but diff changes - but even then it's next to pointless trying to hop diff changes since your gain will be next to nothing.
Thus it doesn't matter if you hop or don't hop - if you are loyal or not loyal - makes no difference.
The main point of this is that no one  can predict when a pool will find a block.
Some people are delusional and think they can, but they cannot.
So hopping PPLNS is pointless Tongue

Point 2:
Your shares will be rewarded 0, 1 or multiple times.
The expected number of times is based on the pool's N value used.
e.g. like my pool we use 5 times the network difficulty, so you expect, if luck is 100%, to get 5 rewards of 1/5 of the share's value, thus total = the shares value.

Thus to answer what would appear to be your main question: If the pool luck is above 100% then shares will be rewarded better than expected, on low fee PPLNS.

Pool: https://kano.is - low 0.5% fee PPLNS 3 Days - Most reliable Solo with ONLY 0.5% fee   Bitcointalk thread: Forum
Discord support invite at https://kano.is/ Majority developer of the ckpool code - k for kano
The ONLY active original developer of cgminer. Original master git: https://github.com/kanoi/cgminer
majestymage

Activity: 994
Merit: 504

View Profile WWW
November 01, 2017, 08:02:24 PM

Point 1:
Anyone who makes any comment about loyalty and not hopping does not understand PPLNS.
PPLNS is hop-proof for all but diff changes - but even then it's next to pointless trying to hop diff changes since your gain will be next to nothing.
Thus it doesn't matter if you hop or don't hop - if you are loyal or not loyal - makes no difference.
The main point of this is that no one  can predict when a pool will find a block.
Some people are delusional and think they can, but they cannot.
So hopping PPLNS is pointless Tongue

Point 2:
Your shares will be rewarded 0, 1 or multiple times.
The expected number of times is based on the pool's N value used.
e.g. like my pool we use 5 times the network difficulty, so you expect, if luck is 100%, to get 5 rewards of 1/5 of the share's value, thus total = the shares value.

Thus to answer what would appear to be your main question: If the pool luck is above 100% then shares will be rewarded better than expected, on low fee PPLNS.
using more than 1 network difficulty in calculating pplns makes it impossible for the pool hoppers to get a real deal out of their maneuvers.

██████
                                             ██████▄▄
                                             ██████  ▀▀▀▄▄▄  ▄▄▄▄
         ▄▄▄▄▄                             ▄▀ █ ▀▄         █▀████
         █████          ████             ▄▀   █   ▀▄     ▄▀   █
         █████          ████       ▄▄▄▄▄▀     █     ▀▄ ▄▀    █
       ▄▀     █         █▀▄█▀▄     █████     █       ▄▀▄    █
     ▄▀        ▀▄      █▄█▄▄█▄▀█▀▀▀█████     █     ▄▀   ▀▄ █
█████      ▄▄▄▄▄██▀▀▀▀█ █   ▀▄  ▀▄   █ █     █   ▄▀     █████
████████▀▀▀       █  █  █    █    ▀▄█   █  ████▄▀       █████
█████   ▀▀▀▀▀▄▄▄▄▄ ▀█  █      █    █▀▄   █▄████         ▄▀
                  ▀█▀▀███     ▀▄  █  ▄█▀▀  █          ▄▀