Bitcoin Forum
May 04, 2024, 01:09:41 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Warning: One or more bitcointalk.org users have reported that they strongly believe that the creator of this topic is a scammer. (Login to see the detailed trust ratings.) While the bitcointalk.org administration does not verify such claims, you should proceed with extreme caution.
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 [9] 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: USB ASIC ERUPTER - Setup & Config. BCG Miner, cgminer & Hubs "Oh Pi"!  (Read 156846 times)
runam0k
Legendary

Activity: 1092
Merit: 1001

Touchdown

View Profile
June 18, 2013, 12:05:24 PM

New cgminer version, 3.2.2, hopefully fixes a lot of bugs with the direct USB behaviour on these devices.
Great.

Now just need to properly uninstall the USB to UART stuff...
Even if you use Bitcoin through Tor, the way transactions are handled by the network makes anonymity difficult to achieve. Do not expect your transactions to be anonymous unless you really know what you're doing.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Remember remember the 5th of November
Legendary

Activity: 1862
Merit: 1011

Reverse engineer from time to time

View Profile
June 18, 2013, 12:06:49 PM

You know, I've rarely had HW errors with my GPUs. How come these USB Eruptors that cost as much as a new gen GPU produce ANY HW errors at all?

BTC:1AiCRMxgf1ptVQwx6hDuKMu4f7F27QmJC2
FiatKiller

Activity: 378
Merit: 250

View Profile
June 18, 2013, 12:42:48 PM

You know, I've rarely had HW errors with my GPUs. How come these USB Eruptors that cost as much as a new gen GPU produce ANY HW errors at all?

Considing it's the size of a thumb, you are being a bit picky.  :-D    GPUs mining BTC may have low error rates, but mining scrypt all out... anything less than 3-5% is acceptable, and normal. BTC is intensity 8-11(depending on GPU model) and scrypt is usually 13+

LTC: LdxgJQLUdr8hZ79BV5AYbxkBUdaXctXAPi
MoonCoin Gambling: https://coin-horse.com/MON/
os2sam
Legendary

Activity: 3578
Merit: 1090

Think for yourself

View Profile
June 18, 2013, 12:44:56 PM

Supposedly that is the nature of all ASIC's.

A: Because it messes up the order in which people normally read text.
Q: Why is top-posting such a bad thing?
A: Top-posting.
Q: What is the most annoying thing on usenet and in e-mail?
whonesta

Activity: 379

View Profile
June 19, 2013, 02:03:58 AM

6 - AMU devices thru a Raspberry Pi running MinePeon (6-11-2013 rev) and mining with CGMiner 3.2.1, I can confirm the DLink DUB-7H powered hub does work. I DID NOT use any of the icarus options nor timing when launching CGMiner.

I can confirm that the Plugable USB 3.0 High Powered hub DOES NOT work with the AMUs.

MikeMike (OP)
Legendary

Activity: 2254
Merit: 1020

★ Ⓚ KORE TEAM Ⓚ ★

View Profile
June 19, 2013, 02:09:10 AM

6 - AMU devices thru a Raspberry Pi running MinePeon (6-11-2013 rev) and mining with CGMiner 3.2.1, I can confirm the DLink DUB-7H powered hub does work. I DID NOT use any of the icarus options nor timing when launching CGMiner.

I can confirm that the Plugable USB 3.0 High Powered hub DOES NOT work with the AMUs.

Absolutely Beautiful!

LogicalUnit

Activity: 299

View Profile
June 19, 2013, 02:20:02 AM

Hey, buddy! We've got a similar setup! What's your guess about the ROI of the AMUs?

BTW, what sort of cooling are you using, if any?
whonesta

Activity: 379

View Profile
June 19, 2013, 03:15:41 AM

Hey, buddy! We've got a similar setup! What's your guess about the ROI of the AMUs?

BTW, what sort of cooling are you using, if any?

I was just talking about that, I am not sure ROI will be reached inside of 365 days sadly. There is however a growing market on the auction sites which could be profitable. I have a fan mounted on my rack which moves air across all the mining hardware, I had a usb fan but it was causing hardware errors on a couple of the AMUs, I suspect the fan is a power hog and the DLink did not have it to spare. I have been running for 6+ Hours with NO issues  Grin
LogicalUnit

View Profile
June 19, 2013, 03:27:12 AM

I was just talking about that, I am not sure ROI will be reached inside of 365 days sadly. There is however a growing market on the auction sites which could be profitable. I have a fan mounted on my rack which moves air across all the mining hardware, I had a usb fan but it was causing hardware errors on a couple of the AMUs, I suspect the fan is a power hog and the DLink did not have it to spare. I have been running for 6+ Hours with NO issues  Grin

What's your HW error % rate? Divide HW by A to get it. Mine is 0.8%.

EDIT: You might need to calculate it individually because you have other hardware besides the AMUs.
monkeymonkey

Activity: 21
Merit: 0

View Profile
June 19, 2013, 05:04:31 AM

I've got the same/similar setup(hub/pi/bfgminer).  when i plugged in 7 sticks i had 2 give problems.  one was puking errors and the other refused to hash.

i unplugged 1 stick and started a fan blowing across the 6 USB sticks.  the 1 stick which was previously giving >10% hw errors started hashing normally.
the 6 sticks even after not clearing errors are now averaging ~1% hw errs over 30 hours now.  the actual rate should be much lower once i restart and clear the counters.  i measured the sticks at 140 degrees F without the fan.  with fan they're comfortable to the touch.
LogicalUnit

View Profile
June 19, 2013, 05:44:05 AM

I've got the same/similar setup(hub/pi/bfgminer).  when i plugged in 7 sticks i had 2 give problems.  one was puking errors and the other refused to hash.

i unplugged 1 stick and started a fan blowing across the 6 USB sticks.  the 1 stick which was previously giving >10% hw errors started hashing normally.
the 6 sticks even after not clearing errors are now averaging ~1% hw errs over 30 hours now.  the actual rate should be much lower once i restart and clear the counters.  i measured the sticks at 140 degrees F without the fan.  with fan they're comfortable to the touch.

How much current does your power adapter deliver? The USB eruptors require 500mA each. The DUB-H7 can deliver 3A, which is 5 eruptors and 1 fan, or 6 eruptors.
jaycuse

Activity: 10

View Profile
June 21, 2013, 09:05:51 PM

So I have 2 USB ASIC Erupters on a DLink H7 connected to my pi (using latest wheezy hard-float build). Got cgminer 3.2.2 installed and it's mining. However, 1 is averaging at 60 MH/s and the other one is averaging 116 MH/s. I have no clue why it's going so slow.

I using these current configurations
http://learn.adafruit.com/piminer-raspberry-pi-bitcoin-miner/configure-settings

Now when I go a plug the hub into my PC running Windows 7 and I run cgminer with same configs, I'm getting the desired average of 333 MH/s per stick.

Since I'm getting my desired hashrate on my windows machine it's making me think that it's a software problem. I though of it maybe being a hardware problem concerning power, but people are posting this hub works fine with 7 usb erupter's connected to them. I only have 2 connected at the moment.

I'm running out of ideas. Anyone have an idea of what it could be?
jaycuse

View Profile
June 21, 2013, 09:26:18 PM

I thought you didn't need drivers for linux? I don't recall installing any or reading that I need to for my pi.
LaserHorse

Activity: 140
Merit: 100

View Profile
June 21, 2013, 10:11:19 PM

So I have 2 USB ASIC Erupters on a DLink H7 connected to my pi (using latest wheezy hard-float build). Got cgminer 3.2.2 installed and it's mining. However, 1 is averaging at 60 MH/s and the other one is averaging 116 MH/s. I have no clue why it's going so slow.

Now when I go a plug the hub into my PC running Windows 7 and I run cgminer with same configs, I'm getting the desired average of 333 MH/s per stick.

Since I'm getting my desired hashrate on my windows machine it's making me think that it's a software problem. I though of it maybe being a hardware problem concerning power, but people are posting this hub works fine with 7 usb erupter's connected to them. I only have 2 connected at the moment.

I had trouble with 3.2.2 on wheezy as well - 3.1.1 works fine using icarus params

here's a step-by-step for the install:
http://learn.adafruit.com/piminer-raspberry-pi-bitcoin-miner/install-cgminer#cgminer

PiMiner - control & monitor your miners with Raspberry Pi   •   BTC: 1AV5JekeEVET5u2jTsLDMRsTtagrBnNTBR
MikeMike (OP)
Legendary

★ Ⓚ KORE TEAM Ⓚ ★

View Profile
June 21, 2013, 10:15:45 PM

Make sure you are using a Verified Hub when using Pi.

Verified Peripherals/Hubs:
http://elinux.org/RPi_VerifiedPeripherals#Powered_USB_Hubs

jaycuse

View Profile
June 21, 2013, 10:41:27 PM

I had trouble with 3.2.2 on wheezy as well - 3.1.1 works fine using icarus params

http://learn.adafruit.com/piminer-raspberry-pi-bitcoin-miner/install-cgminer#cgminer

Just installed it and it looks like it solved the problem.

Thanks Smiley
MikeMike (OP)
Legendary

★ Ⓚ KORE TEAM Ⓚ ★

View Profile
June 21, 2013, 11:05:10 PM

OP updated.
Thanks!

Polyatomic

Activity: 257

View Profile
June 22, 2013, 02:31:13 AM
Last edit: June 22, 2013, 10:41:55 PM by Polyatomic

Im using difficulty 128 , HW values seem high . Any feedback would be helpful , I will be moving my hardware to a PI today.
Troupster

Activity: 97
Merit: 10

View Profile
June 22, 2013, 02:01:33 PM

Im using difficulty 128 , HW values seem high . Any feedback would be helpful , I will be moving my hardware to a PI today.

Higher difficulty threw more errors in my testing.

Don't know why
os2sam
Legendary

Activity: 3578
Merit: 1090

Think for yourself

View Profile
June 22, 2013, 03:17:06 PM

Higher difficulty threw more errors in my testing.

Don't know why

Because you need to convert your shares to Diff1 to calculate HW errors correctly.

A: Because it messes up the order in which people normally read text.
Q: Why is top-posting such a bad thing?
A: Top-posting.
Q: What is the most annoying thing on usenet and in e-mail?
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 [9] 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: