Bitcoin Forum
April 19, 2024, 07:05:00 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 26.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1] 2 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: What happens with huge airdrops?  (Read 364 times)
Beerwizzard (OP)

Activity: 924
Merit: 148

View Profile
September 27, 2017, 05:45:51 AM

I've never took part in any airdrop campaign but I've noticed that some of them offer huge amount of their coins (like deep onion). So the first quesion tha concerns me is what happens with those coins after they released to the market? It seems like the price should dump extremely fast when people start selling their thousands dollars worth in uknown crypto. Is there any example of altcoin when there was a big giveaway and then its price remained at least at the same level.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
If you want to be a moderator, report many posts with accuracy. You will be noticed.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
publicjud
Legendary

Activity: 1120
Merit: 1003

twet.ch/inv/62d7ae96

View Profile
September 27, 2017, 06:33:56 AM

I've never took part in any airdrop campaign but I've noticed that some of them offer huge amount of their coins (like deep onion). So the first quesion tha concerns me is what happens with those coins after they released to the market? It seems like the price should dump extremely fast when people start selling their thousands dollars worth in uknown crypto. Is there any example of altcoin when there was a big giveaway and then its price remained at least at the same level.

You are uniquely right! It's enough just to observe DeepOnion price behaviour. It has only giveaway method of distribution. Each friday you can see huge dump because of release big amount of new coins.

Join Twetch twet.ch/inv/62d7ae96
investeerder

Activity: 322
Merit: 250

View Profile
September 27, 2017, 06:43:04 AM

IF the coin devs offer a huge part for there airdrop then their coin will turn useless and you can expect that there are more dumps coming unto it since the mindset of the people who got that is to dump that immediately before anything else came to them their coins up. But you should try to join some since some airdrops are profitable to join with.

BITWIN.

██████████████████████
██████████████████████████████
██████████████████████████████████
████████████████████████████████████████
██████████████████████████████████████████
██████████████████████████████████████████████
████████████████████████████████████████████████
██████████████████████████████████████████████████
████████████████████████████████████████████████████
██████████████████████████████████████████████████████
████████████████████████████████████████████████████████
██████████████████████████████████████████████████████████
█████████████████████████████████████████████████████████
█████████████████████████████████████████████████████
███████████████████████████████████████████████████
██████████████████████
voltesbit777

Activity: 910
Merit: 251

View Profile
September 27, 2017, 06:48:39 AM

I think most of the time their offer huge amount of their coins usually get dumped. And for me deep onion more on hype only, I remembered there's an airdrop which I joined it before and now there is new here try to check it if it is good to you https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=2209542.0 Smiley
babsjoe

Activity: 490
Merit: 100

View Profile
September 27, 2017, 06:53:34 AM

Airdrop with a missionand vision for the market and crypto in general will never die. Do you know that XMR was airdrop in whle if 2015. See where xmr is today. Useless airdrop will die. Valuabke ones will live.
Filmmmakerr

Hello. Bye.

View Profile
September 27, 2017, 06:54:51 AM

There's always going to be a dump after an airdrop, but something like deep onion has a huge following cult behind it, I don't see it dumping too hard. Byteball was a successful airdrop that completely dumped from $900 to $200 when the airdrop finished but byteball doesn't have half the following deep onion has.

Campaign Manager (2018)
Herbert2020
Legendary

Activity: 1946
Merit: 1137

View Profile
September 27, 2017, 07:03:42 AM

price is always the result of "supply and demand". well the demand part is what they can hype up and get people to invest in their altcoin since there is no other usage for them.
the supply part is what the people can get their hands on. it is mostly the mining reward but also sometimes these airdrops, the PoS reward, and other methods of distribution of that coin.

in case of these big airdrops where they give away large sums and to a lot of people, they are effectively creating a lot of "sell pressure" which will sooner or later start showing itself by preventing price from going up and pushing it down.

Weak hands have been complaining about missing out ever since bitcoin was $1 and never buy the dip.
Whales are those who keep buying the dip.
Beerwizzard (OP)

Activity: 924
Merit: 148

View Profile
September 27, 2017, 07:06:06 AM

There's always going to be a dump after an airdrop, but something like deep onion has a huge following cult behind it, I don't see it dumping too hard. Byteball was a successful airdrop that completely dumped from $900 to $200 when the airdrop finished but byteball doesn't have half the following deep onion has.
So if you sell your onions right after getting it how many btc will you get per week? Another question is liquidity. Whos buying it while huge amounts are released for free? How fast are you selling it? I'm curious mow much is it possible to get worth in more reliable currency.
investeerder

View Profile
September 27, 2017, 07:20:24 AM

So if you sell your onions right after getting it how many btc will you get per week? Another question is liquidity. Whos buying it while huge amounts are released for free? How fast are you selling it? I'm curious mow much is it possible to get worth in more reliable currency.

If he's gonna dump his onion I think he will get evicted on his campaign since I think i saw that rule in there campaign. But I don't really know on who's buying and how much buy support they've got since I don't really know on what is the used of that coin. And for seeing the current price for it right now is disturbing since it is on the state of being dump by its holders.

BITWIN.

██████████████████████
████████████████████████████████████████████████████
█████████████████████████████████████████████████████
███████████████████████████████████████████████████
██████████████████████
Sungoku

Activity: 462
Merit: 257

View Profile
September 27, 2017, 07:23:48 AM

I think now there is no one who distributes a lot of airdrop,
because there are many ico who use bounty or workers
Cnut237
Legendary

Activity: 1904
Merit: 1277

View Profile
September 27, 2017, 07:26:39 AM

There is always a dump with airdrops, but that is the price that new coin developers are willing to pay for the publicity. So something like Deep Onion they have had huge publicity, but it's a trade off. Obviously you don't want all of your coins to be dumped and nobody buying. So long as a coin has committed devs and a good roadmap and white paper, there should not be too much trouble.

Pierre 2
Legendary

Activity: 2394
Merit: 1358

View Profile
September 27, 2017, 07:28:22 AM

There are gonna be dumps happening right after airdrop ends. But some people are gonna be bullish about price and will hold no matter what. Coin will be more alive than anyother.
Hassan02

Activity: 743
Merit: 500

View Profile
September 27, 2017, 07:57:05 AM

There are gonna be dumps happening right after airdrop ends. But some people are gonna be bullish about price and will hold no matter what. Coin will be more alive than anyother.

some that own this  they will still hold this coin as per they know that someday it can be the some other coin that can have a value and making name in the market.
Filmmmakerr

Hello. Bye.

View Profile
September 27, 2017, 09:03:06 AM

Like investeerder said when you're part of the deep campaign you can't sell any coins, or at least no more than 10% so I haven't moved anything. However even if I could I wouldn't because the ATH was $5 and now its at .50 cents and I truly believe with the community backing this coin it could go above $20 in no time. The ANN thread literally builds 10 pages a day, I imagine after the 40th airdrop it should be the biggest thread.

Campaign Manager (2018)
fragout
Legendary

Activity: 1279
Merit: 1018

View Profile
September 27, 2017, 09:13:32 AM

I expect the dump with deeponion towards the end of the campaign but for now you need to hold 90% of each drop to qualify for the next one. A dump at the end is not a guarantee either though depending on their development progress.
Seansky

Activity: 560
Merit: 500

View Profile
September 27, 2017, 09:19:25 AM

You are right that they will dump. The worst case scenario is that it would have no value since most got their fair share for free, so any price they would dump it to would be free profit for them. One good example of a big giveaway was bitcoincash since it gave all of it's coins away to btc holders that held btc in their wallets before the fork. It was sitting at a nice value right now but that should be the case since it is a fork from btc. Another example is valorbit which remained the same level as it was before the airdrop with many being unable to sell.
figmentofmyass
Legendary

Activity: 1652
Merit: 1483

View Profile
September 27, 2017, 09:20:43 AM

well, the deep onion project is trying to prevent that kind of dumping by requiring that 90% of the airdropped coins be kept in the recipient's airdrop address for the entirety of the campaign. if they move them, they will be blacklisted.

i think a better way to run an airdrop is to do smaller airdrops incrementally over time (not 10% of the supply all at once, causing dumping). one example of this is bitsend, which is running a 3-year airdrop. it's held its value fairly well (certainly compared to deep onion), but it's sort of gotten lost in a sea of altcoin and token launches in the last year.

cleygaux

Activity: 656

View Profile
September 27, 2017, 09:31:00 AM

It depends on the coin for whatever purposed it created if the coin has really potential into the market and the project is really interesting with unique uses and has limited supply then i think value will definitely rise, In deeponion I dont think this coins is special and might be use only for pump and dump activities its usage is only for encryption technology and many past project offers the same usage.If youre a holder of this deeponion and you believe in this project after this airdrop You might want to hodl it for a long time and you will see .
nappoleon

Merit: 100

View Profile
September 27, 2017, 10:19:09 AM

Actually deep onion is still on the rise. It started of on 2k sats and started rising and even reached $3, I think it is experiencing massive correction right now. If you notice their airdrop rules is, participant are only allowed to sell 10% of the airdrop they received so I think that's one factor on why the price is still holding to $0.60. You may want to check byteball as well.

▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀
pedrog
Legendary

Activity: 2772
Merit: 1031

View Profile
September 27, 2017, 12:58:57 PM

Check out NEM, Decred, Ripple and Stellar, they all had giveaways, Stellar still has giveaways.

If you got the airdrop from these coins and you still hold it, you'd be very happy right now.

Pages: [1] 2 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: