Bitcoin Forum
May 04, 2024, 06:02:19 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1] 2 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Does CPU matter when mining?  (Read 813 times)
davemanet (OP)

Activity: 336
Merit: 100

View Profile
September 27, 2017, 04:43:10 PM

I have 7gpu rig that works.  When I put in an 8th gpu, all the other cards start to act up.  Could it be the CPU?

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Each block is stacked on top of the previous one. Adding another block to the top makes all lower blocks more difficult to remove: there is more "weight" above each block. A transaction in a block 6 blocks deep (6 confirmations) will be very difficult to remove.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
DarrenJC

Activity: 126

View Profile
September 27, 2017, 04:50:09 PM

Nope, it'll be your OS not liking more than 7 cards from a single brand? Nvidia or AMD...

Single GPU Miner - Zotac GTX1070 8GB Mini
Still early days, aiming bigger in time
davemanet (OP)

View Profile
September 27, 2017, 05:29:54 PM

Weird I'm using simplemining which is linux, usually people report 8 cards working fine on here
Mattthev

Activity: 966
Merit: 359

👉MINING-BIOS.eu💲⛏

View Profile WWW
September 27, 2017, 05:42:17 PM

I have 7gpu rig that works.  When I put in an 8th gpu, all the other cards start to act up.  Could it be the CPU?
Not really, cheapest Celeron is fine. Only maybe if you run 10 or more NVIDIA cards some miners need better CPU. AMD miners need a lot less CPU power. But top CPU you might need is some cheap Pentium with HT Cheesy

Mining Bios with Performance Timings 👍 Mining-Bios.euPBE 1.7PBE 3 PRO👌⛏│AFFILIATE system 10% ref 💰💲BTC│👉 XMR-AEON-STAK 🔝⛏ Monero V9 (CNv4) ✅│XMRig AMD🔝⛏ CNv4 ✅
FIAT from BINANCE to REVOLUT 💳│🚀Upcoming/Active ICO list📈🤑│👉Free Bitcoin BTC Faucet💰💲│Guides:RX 470/480/570/580, VEGA Bios Mod Tutorial - SRB, PBE 💰💲│PBE.eu
CRYPTO to FIAT BTC💲💳│ How to Mine XMR/RYO and CN coins + Miners Downloads💰⛏│Guides:How to Mine AEON💰⛏
monerobiosedit@gmail.com│✅Did I help you? Give me some +Merit 🤜🤛👌
leowonderful
Legendary

Activity: 1624
Merit: 1129

Bitcoin FTW!

View Profile
September 27, 2017, 05:48:35 PM

More likely the BIOS or OS itself not liking what's happening. Dual-core processors can handle 8 just fine, Intel or AMD. AMD quad core Phenom processors can be found quite cheap, and for newer sockets the G3930 is around $40, and the new Athlon X4 950 has 4 (Excavator?) cores on a budget.
rdluffy
Legendary

Activity: 2226
Merit: 1304

View Profile WWW
September 27, 2017, 06:05:52 PM

I prefer to use a good cpu to have a better stability, for me is better

.DuelbitsSPORTS.
▄▄▄███████▄▄▄
▄▄█████████████████▄▄
▄██████████████████████▄
██████████████████████████
███████████████████████████
██████████████████████████████
█████████████████████████████
███████████████████████████
█████████████████████████
▀████████████████████████
▀▀███████████████████
██
██
██
██

██
██
██
██

██
██
██
████████▄▄▄▄██▄▄▄██
███▄█▀▄▄▀███▄█████
█████████████▀▀▀██
██▀ ▀██████████████████
███▄███████████████████
███████████████████████
███████████████████████
███████████████████████
███████████████████████
███████████████████████
▀█████████████████████▀
▀▀███████████████▀▀
▀▀▀▀█▀▀▀▀
OFFICIAL EUROPEAN
BETTING PARTNER OF
ASTON VILLA FC
██
██
██
██

██
██
██
██

██
██
██
10%   CASHBACK  
          100%   MULTICHARGER  
UnknownX

Activity: 175

View Profile
September 27, 2017, 07:04:33 PM

I most of the cases it's OS or bios issues, so try to update your bios first.
But CPU also have big value to rig stability, so it's better not to buy the cheapest one, try something middle priced if you built new rig.

████→→       ● DeepOnion                                                                       ✯✯✯✯✯✯✯✯✯✯✯✯✯✯✯✯✯✯✯✯✯✯✯✯✯✯ 
████→→       ● Tor integrated, 100% anonymous!                                       Get Your FREE Coins NOW!     
████→→       ● Free Airdrop! (No ICO, No Crowdfund)                       ✯✯✯✯✯✯✯✯✯✯✯✯✯✯✯✯✯✯✯✯✯✯✯✯✯✯
DrG
Legendary

Activity: 2086
Merit: 1035

View Profile
September 27, 2017, 07:09:56 PM

But CPU also have big value to rig stability, so it's better not to buy the cheapest one, try something middle priced if you built new rig.

Short of going for a single core ancient Pentium, the money would be better spent on a higher end power supply. Better ripple control and consistent power keeps cards mining reliably.
UnknownX

Activity: 175

View Profile
September 27, 2017, 07:24:39 PM

Short of going for a single core ancient Pentium, the money would be better spent on a higher end power supply. Better ripple control and consistent power keeps cards mining reliably.
I think nobody will argue that high end power supply is musthave for good rig, but also it is obvious that building rig at 1080ti with cheap CPU is also very silly idea, it's better to spend additional 20-30 usd to buy normal CPU to get stable hashrate and not to receive CPU errors or miner's crashes every few hours.

████→→       ● DeepOnion                                                                       ✯✯✯✯✯✯✯✯✯✯✯✯✯✯✯✯✯✯✯✯✯✯✯✯✯✯ 
████→→       ● Tor integrated, 100% anonymous!                                       Get Your FREE Coins NOW!     
████→→       ● Free Airdrop! (No ICO, No Crowdfund)                       ✯✯✯✯✯✯✯✯✯✯✯✯✯✯✯✯✯✯✯✯✯✯✯✯✯✯
davemanet (OP)

View Profile
September 27, 2017, 07:59:58 PM

I think nobody will argue that high end power supply is musthave for good rig, but also it is obvious that building rig at 1080ti with cheap CPU is also very silly idea, it's better to spend additional 20-30 usd to buy normal CPU to get stable hashrate and not to receive CPU errors or miner's crashes every few hours.

Thanks so the cpu can be a cause of unprecitable behaviour? I went with the cheapest g3900 she just couldn't understand why i got it working with 7 but when i put in the 8th it acted up. I'm going to order a g4400 now. I'm using Evga g2 so i don't think it's the psu.
DrG
Legendary

View Profile
September 27, 2017, 08:17:44 PM

Thanks so the cpu can be a cause of unprecitable behaviour? I went with the cheapest g3900 she just couldn't understand why i got it working with 7 but when i put in the 8th it acted up. I'm going to order a g4400 now. I'm using Evga g2 so i don't think it's the psu.

Unless somebody is willing to give exact models of mobo and cpu having issues I call BS. I've used everything from a Sempron 140 to a I7-2600K for GPU mining since 2011. The only time I did see any bottleneck was when I used the Sempron because it was single core and creation of DAG is CPU instensive. When you use single core CPUs any operations other than mining (like a Teamviewer connection) does slow down hashrate.  I have frequently swapped back and forth between Celeron 530 and I5-3470 and not had any difference in share submission rate with Bitcoin, Monero, or Ethash (yes I mined Bitcoin back i the day). The caveat being I was not CPU mining as well.

If you plan on CPU mining as well it makes sense to go with an I5 or I7 or Ryzen equivalent. Just make sure you leave a core free to handle the OS and share submission for the miner.

CPU choice does effect the system memory speed utilized and could possibly alter the PCIe lanes if the board manufacturer does something wonky so there's always that, but a Celeron 3930 should be more than sufficient for a 8 card rig that's only GPU mining. You might see a small boost going from HD to SSD since disk i/o does slow down mining especially if running on low memory. Unfortunately DDR4 and flash memory prices are double what they were last year.
Johny101010

Activity: 218

View Profile
September 27, 2017, 09:56:18 PM

The CPU does not matter much. The PSU on the other hand does. I'd check the power draw if I was you.

davemanet (OP)

View Profile
September 27, 2017, 10:02:29 PM

My power draw is within 80% of the psu's limits.  Is it possible that it's the bios on the GPU?  What's odd is that the cards work fine mining on their own but get weird when pairing with other cards.
Johny101010

View Profile
September 27, 2017, 10:08:04 PM

What type of PSU do you have.

jyakulis

Activity: 468
Merit: 250

J

View Profile
September 27, 2017, 10:18:44 PM

Yes it can matter with higher #'s of GPUs. I think it's something with the cache.

I could only get 2/4 1070's to run in windows with a sempron processor. I put a FX 6 core in and everything magically worked.

I'd spend an extra 50-100 bucks for a processor if I was doing a high GPU build personally.

bitcoin address: 35CezzikPXjx4QmTgpeU3ByQ42s8mVcbaF
davemanet (OP)

View Profile
September 27, 2017, 10:20:05 PM

What type of PSU do you have.

EVGA G2.

I'm using a GPU bios that i found online.  I'm going to try reverting to stock bios for all 8 GPU's, this is going to take a while but I guess it's the only option I have left.
Johny101010

View Profile
September 27, 2017, 10:28:28 PM

I'd hold of on doing all that. If you have 8gpu x 150 each is much higher than your 1200 PSU.
It is not your CPU your the bios it is more than likely the PSU.
Try to turn on the computer with 8 cards and just do normal stuff, not mining. It shouldn't act wired, once you start mining the rig will either drop hash like s rock, freeze or reboot.

fanatic26

Activity: 756
Merit: 560

View Profile
September 27, 2017, 10:39:10 PM

All the people saying the CPU could be to blame are just plain wrong and dont understand how PC architecture works. Even on my 12 card rigs the G3930 Celeron is only at 25-30% usage at max. Could you be a bit more concise in your problem description? Cards 'acting up' could be anything. If you give some specifics it would help the troubleshooting process quite a bit.

Stop buying industrial miners, running them at home, and then complaining about the noise.
davemanet (OP)

View Profile
September 27, 2017, 11:03:45 PM

All the people saying the CPU could be to blame are just plain wrong and dont understand how PC architecture works. Even on my 12 card rigs the G3930 Celeron is only at 25-30% usage at max. Could you be a bit more concise in your problem description? Cards 'acting up' could be anything. If you give some specifics it would help the troubleshooting process quite a bit.

Ok this makes me realize that it's not the CPU at fault, thank you.

If the GPU is stable on it's own, that means it should be stable in a rig.  Is that correct?

The problem I'm having is that I tested gpu's and it's fine, but then when I add more I get odd behaviour, for example some cards going from 28 to 14 hash, and inbetween.

I think I've narrowed it down to the fact that when I add more GPU's, the usb cables get angled to fit into the position of my rig.  So, bent usb cables = abnormal behaviour.  Is this possible?  I'm testing it now.
DrG
Legendary

View Profile
September 27, 2017, 11:47:58 PM

First thing is to identify what motherboard is being used. The OP PMed me and said the addition of the 8th card causes variation of rate from 28 to 14 and back. Knowing the motherboard and bios revision would help.

Make sure to have virtual memory high enough. I would do at least 24576 for 6 card, some multiple of 4096 thereafter if using 8 like 8 x 4096.

The Power supply make be adequate, but if not cabled properly to the risers that can be an issue as well. Make sure no more than 2 cards per Molex or Sata chain. Splitting a 6 or pin cable is usually safer than using those two thinner cables.

Opening up task manager will usually help prove CPU is not pegged at 100% on a core or something is not stuck in the background. Using Afterburner helps show if the GPU core clocks are throttling and why they might be throttling.

Most important is to know the mobo model though.... else we're all just guessing.
Pages: [1] 2 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: