Bitcoin Forum
May 13, 2024, 07:09:49 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1] 2 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Ubuntu or Windows for mining altcoins ?  (Read 995 times)
bl0atw4re (OP)

Activity: 46
Merit: 0

View Profile
September 27, 2017, 05:18:13 PM

which is more stable and gives you more hashrate ? shortly which is better ?

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Bitcoin addresses contain a checksum, so it is very unlikely that mistyping an address will cause you to lose money.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
twofreckles

Activity: 366
Merit: 250

View Profile
September 27, 2017, 05:21:57 PM

Which car is faster and more comfortable? Mercedes or BMW?

Everything depends, and there isn't one single good asnwer. There are variables. But IMO I tend to vote for Linux.

reflector

Activity: 826
Merit: 263

View Profile
September 27, 2017, 05:22:10 PM

You cannot find many miner softwares for Ubuntu OS and I don't think your hash rate depends on the OS you are using. You have to use the best best mother board, processor and high gaming console graphic card to get the high hash rate while you are mining any coin. Try using windows itself to get the s/w supported to you.
twofreckles

View Profile
September 27, 2017, 05:25:36 PM

You cannot find many miner softwares for Ubuntu OS and I don't think your hash rate depends on the OS you are using. You have to use the best best mother board, processor and high gaming console graphic card to get the high hash rate while you are mining any coin. Try using windows itself to get the s/w supported to you.

I does depend on OS, or rather on drivers. So OS might give different results (hashrate and power drain).

Also don't state wrong statements. You don't need best motherboard and best processor. In fact you need the cheapest processor and MB with enough PCI-E lines.

QuintLeo
Legendary

Activity: 1498
Merit: 1030

View Profile
September 28, 2017, 12:34:39 AM

Most major mining software writers support Ubuntu.
 In fact, I can't think of one that does NOT (though Claymore was anti-LINUX for a while he changed his stance when he finally realized how much he was LOSING by not doing so).

Hash rate generally isn't OS specific - the differences are minor at most, and are normally DRIVER dependent issues not OS specific ones.

The main tradeoff is that LINUX is more stable, but the tools for overclock and undervolt are a lot more primitive and don't work as well as Afterburner for Windows.

You do NOT need a high-end processor AT ALL for mining, and mining motherboards don't tend to work well as high-end gaming motherboards as mining doesn't NEED the throughput to the GPUs that gaming does.
 I ran my triple R9 290 based ETH rig on a Sempron 145 low-end single-core CPU for many months, and saw ZERO hashrate change when I upgraded that rig to a Athlon X2 240 dual-core (the only difference is that ETH's DAG file generation went quicker, but that normally happens BETWEEN blocks and doesn't affect hashrate).

I'm no longer legendary just in my own mind!
Like something I said? Donations gratefully accepted. LYLnTKvLefz9izJFUvEGQEZzSkz34b3N6U (Litecoin)
1GYbjMTPdCuV7dci3iCUiaRrcNuaiQrVYY (Bitcoin)
ZenFr
Legendary

Activity: 1260
Merit: 1046

View Profile
September 28, 2017, 11:39:49 AM

The answer is very simple : Ubuntu :
 - more stable
 - more secure (no viruses)
 - more speed
 - no automatic or issues reboots
 - no very long updates
 - and so on...
Sev18

Activity: 154
Merit: 100

View Profile
September 28, 2017, 11:44:29 AM

If it isn't a case that you're going to run 8+ same cards for mining or having a issue with windows lisence
,Windows is easier with troubleshooting and supports many additional helper tools.
There's no additional stability with using ubuntu.

■■■■■■■  Multi-Algo Switching Manager - MULTIPOOL MULTIALGO Profit Switch Launcher  ■■■■■■■
■■■■■■■             https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=2041971             ■■■■■■■
■■■■■■■                           Download Now!                           ■■■■■■■
irwanjabryg

Activity: 980
Merit: 512

View Profile
September 28, 2017, 11:53:32 AM

Linux is more secure and open source, security should be a priority. but windows is also safe if we use good security. updated antivirus and also windows using the original software.
shibob

Activity: 672
Merit: 154

Blockchain Evangelist.

View Profile WWW
September 28, 2017, 12:57:41 PM

I think Ubuntu should be better for mining on stability and higher hashrate. I just use window because of its user friendly, I do the remote mining, and I'm sure my old friend will get mad if I ask him reset or do sth else in Ubuntu or Linux.
phundred

Activity: 32

View Profile
September 28, 2017, 01:51:31 PM

I used both, and Ubuntu is better and much stable compared to Windows in mining rig, but it requires some configurations to OC your GPU, it is not as easy as Windows by using Afterburner or other utilities.
twofreckles

View Profile
September 28, 2017, 08:16:46 PM

I think Ubuntu should be better for mining on stability and higher hashrate. I just use window because of its user friendly, I do the remote mining, and I'm sure my old friend will get mad if I ask him reset or do sth else in Ubuntu or Linux.

if you are after "user friendly", then you should just use ubuntu and some ready to use os. In simplemining you just create and usb stick and turn it on. No drivers, no gpu instaling, no antivirus, no msiafterburner, no wattman, no overiding drivers, no problems with 8+ gpus and so on... Ethos is a little bit more advanced to start with, but still if you read FAQ can be done faster than any windows...

JaredKaragen
Legendary

Activity: 1848
Merit: 1165

My AR-15 ID's itself as a toaster. Want breakfast?

View Profile WWW
September 28, 2017, 09:26:01 PM

i make win10 rigs with 100% uptime...  I have seen linux rigs with impressive similar uptimes as well.  It's all about adding what you need, and removing what you dont need.

ill be doing a linux OS machine for purely mining soon, and ill have more to input as a comparison.   But i have had very reliable and stable windows machines.

Link to my batch and script resources here.  

DO NOT TRUST YOBIT  -JK

Donations: 1Q8HjG8wMa3hgmDFbFHC9cADPLpm1xKHQM
leowonderful
Legendary

Activity: 1624
Merit: 1129

Bitcoin FTW!

View Profile
September 28, 2017, 09:51:46 PM

Both are just fine for mining and the differences are marginal most of the time. After you get BIOS issues and all that out of the way, just pick whichever you like more. Windows is usually not free and although you can get licenses for under $5 nowadays, I still prefer Ubuntu for its simplicity and compatibility with pretty much all mining software.
JaredKaragen
Legendary

View Profile WWW
September 28, 2017, 10:59:35 PM

Both are just fine for mining and the differences are marginal most of the time. After you get BIOS issues and all that out of the way, just pick whichever you like more. Windows is usually not free and although you can get licenses for under $5 nowadays, I still prefer Ubuntu for its simplicity and compatibility with pretty much all mining software.

agreed.  either that or high gpu density needing linux for that, or if you have limited network bandwidth and dont want win10 machines doing their own business as they tend to do....

DO NOT TRUST YOBIT  -JK

Seuss27

Activity: 18

View Profile
September 29, 2017, 12:57:01 AM

Where are you getting a $5 Windows license?

Seuss
JaredKaragen
Legendary

View Profile WWW
September 29, 2017, 01:29:56 AM

Seuss

I get free.

Install 7;  activate.
Install 10 as upgrade after SP1 updates on 7.

Automatically Licensed/activated copy of 10.

Just don't use a blacklisted 7 install; or janky autoKMS.

DO NOT TRUST YOBIT  -JK

QuintLeo
Legendary

View Profile
September 29, 2017, 04:07:56 AM

i make win10 rigs with 100% uptime... 

100% uptime over how many years?
 "100% uptime" by itself is a MEANINGLESS claim.

I have owned and maintained a LOT of LINUX machines (some Ubuntu but mostly Slackware and some Redhat) that achieved uptime measured in YEARS between power outages, physical moves of the machines, HARDWARE failures (usually the hard drive), and such - and some of them might have exceeded a DECADE had I stayed put in the same place long enough and had no power outages that exceeded the runtime of the UPS some of those systems were on.
 Most of these have been doing Crypto work (keep in mind that at it's root, Cryptocoin Mining is crypto work) on the distributed.net RC5-72 project.
 This is the SAME sort of workload Cryptocoin mining puts on a GPU, and very similar stress levels - the Dnet client used to be widely-used AS a "stress test" tool by review websites for both CPUs and GPUs.

I have seen exactly ONE Windows machine (it was running NT 3.51 SP 5) that managed ONE year of uptime under the same conditions - and nothing since that could even get to the one year mark without a crash.

Win 10? I gave up on it entirely due to the crashyness - even on the one mining machine I tried it on it never managed one MONTH of uptime without a bluescreen, and that was running the SAME AMD driver version (15.12) I used on the same hardware under LINUX with long uptime.
 Don't get me started on the "crashy" level of Win10 on my gaming rig - it was SO bad I reverted to Win7 despite the performance hit of "no more DirectX 12" in the highest-end game I usually play.
 I can't remember if I ever had more than a 3 day period without a crash - no matter WHAT driver version I tried.

I do agree that Windows is more user friendly (and that's said as a 25+ year LINUX veteran), but it's not even in the same COUNTRY when it comes to stability, much less the same ballpark.

As far as I know, ALL of the "mining specific OS" are based on Ubuntu.

Like something I said? Donations gratefully accepted. LYLnTKvLefz9izJFUvEGQEZzSkz34b3N6U (Litecoin)
Za1n
Legendary

Activity: 1078
Merit: 1011

View Profile
September 29, 2017, 04:39:05 AM

Seuss

I get free.

Install 7;  activate.
Install 10 as upgrade after SP1 updates on 7.

Automatically Licensed/activated copy of 10.

Just don't use a blacklisted 7 install; or janky autoKMS.

You don't even have to go through all of that if you have a valid Windows 7 key as the Windows 10 activation will accept those keys as well on a fresh install. I have done this on several of mine as well as several friends PCs already and it has worked every time.

I think installing Windows 7 for the sole purpose to upgrade to Windows 10 will have the potential to cause more issues with stability down the road versus a fresh Windows 10 install.

Also if you look around there are free options for Windows 10 as well such as the Assistive Technology Users Free Upgrade found here: https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/accessibility/windows10upgrade
JaredKaragen
Legendary

View Profile WWW
September 29, 2017, 05:28:13 AM

i make win10 rigs with 100% uptime... 

100% uptime over how many years?
 "100% uptime" by itself is a MEANINGLESS claim.

as-in, they only shutdown or reboot if my power goes out;  I personally shut them down, or they process updates that require updates.

the OS itself is pretty stable, and easy to configure.   Ubuntu is pretty close to easyness... but I digress....   I have prefect uptimes on my machines.  I wont settle for less.

Anytime they start becoming unstable, a PSU is failing, or the caps on a device are going bad.

We are far from the XP days...... reliability speaking.   10 is pretty solid.  It just has bloat built-in that people dislike.  Nothing much else to complain about.  Especially since its always free for me.

DO NOT TRUST YOBIT  -JK

QuintLeo
Legendary

View Profile
September 30, 2017, 03:08:40 AM

In my experience, XP was MORE stable than 10 is - once it got enough service packs under the hood.

Still wasn't anywhere close to 2000 stability, much less NT4 SP6 or NT 3.51 SP5.

For that matter, *7* seems to have turned out eventually to be able to match or SLIGHTLY exceed XP stability - and 10 is nowhere NEAR 7's poor stability level.

Then there was the combination of Windows for Workgroups 3.11 with QEMM 7.54 - which wasn't NT level stability but could argue with 2k and definitely beat 10.

Still waiting on a "how long they have stayed up at a time" mention.

Perfect uptime for a couple months at a time is NOTHING.

Pages: [1] 2 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: