Bitcoin Forum
May 27, 2024, 10:04:48 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1] 2 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: More new ALT coins....  (Read 1443 times)
LottoPool (OP)

Activity: 14
Merit: 0

View Profile
May 31, 2013, 07:36:49 PM

Do you think all these new ridiculous coins... (weed coin, vagina coin...really guys?) will start to make bitcoin look like something not so serious to the outside layperson?

Just seems to me, if I was looking into bitcoin seriously, and keep seeing these fly by night bs coins, I might start to think thats its more of a game than a currency, and would be less inclined to invest as much as I would have before hand.

If crypto was more established, then it wouldn't be a huge deal.  But the whole idea is in its infancy....Thoughts?
Eli0t

Activity: 252
Merit: 250

View Profile
May 31, 2013, 07:39:06 PM

they will probably never see the light of day outside the alt forum, their own forum or one or two small exchanges

LTC:  LKpJf3uk7KsHU73kxq8iFJrP1AAKN7Yni7  DGC:  DKXGvEbj3Rwgrm2QQbRyNPDDZDYoq4Y44d  XPM:  AWV5AKfLFyoBaMjg9C77rGUBhuFxz5DGGL
LottoPool (OP)

View Profile
May 31, 2013, 07:42:11 PM

The problem is a lot of new people looking into btc come here.  And when I click on recent posts....a huge percentage is about these crazy, idiotic coins people make to either feel special, pump and dump, or whatnot. Seems like its a lot of children thinking they are being funny.  Maybe I am wrong though, wouldnt be the first time.
Eli0t

Activity: 252
Merit: 250

View Profile
May 31, 2013, 07:43:44 PM

The problem is a lot of new people looking into btc come here.  And when I click on recent posts....a huge percentage is about these crazy, idiotic coins people make to either feel special, pump and dump, or whatnot. Seems like its a lot of children thinking they are being funny.  Maybe I am wrong though, wouldnt be the first time.
better to click on forum headings for things your interested in

LTC:  LKpJf3uk7KsHU73kxq8iFJrP1AAKN7Yni7  DGC:  DKXGvEbj3Rwgrm2QQbRyNPDDZDYoq4Y44d  XPM:  AWV5AKfLFyoBaMjg9C77rGUBhuFxz5DGGL
LottoPool (OP)

View Profile
May 31, 2013, 07:45:22 PM

I agree. But,  all it takes a someone new to crypto to see this BS these guys are putting out to start doubting before they ever begin.  
Zockempire

Activity: 5

View Profile
May 31, 2013, 07:53:17 PM

That is one problem of crypto currencies in general. They can be very easy copied as more and more systems emerge.
Today you have already a lot of alternative coinsystems.

That is one advantage of the traditional alternative currencies like precious metals for example.
They cannot be copied like coinsystems and have intrinsic value, because they are also
material commodities with usage value.

What is fascinating about all cryptocoins is the new technology which enhanced money transfer.
This will change in a way the world.

I am curious how all will play out in the longterm...
rashly

Activity: 5

View Profile
May 31, 2013, 08:45:08 PM

Most of them will be dead in a matter of months. Bitcoin works because you can actually buy things with it. Litecoin kinda works because it is transferable to bitcoins. Anything else is pretty useless at this point, but it's always possible for someone like amazon of facebook to create their own fork.
Ludicrous

Activity: 7

View Profile
May 31, 2013, 09:06:34 PM

Bitcoin IS established.  More alts will only make it stronger...unless the alt is actually superior to bitcoin  Grin - which is good since it will eventually bring more benefits to more people.
ruletheworld
Legendary

Activity: 1386
Merit: 1045

View Profile WWW
May 31, 2013, 11:03:19 PM

I don't really see the problem. May the best idea win. Bitcoin has the first mover advantage anyway. It is a free marketplace for currencies, I see nothing wrong with it. If it isn't adopted, it will die a natural death.
UniversalTrek

Activity: 28

View Profile
May 31, 2013, 11:08:24 PM

The only two serious coins at the moment with good devs. and backing are PXC and NetCoin, when it's released -
world_travel

Activity: 6

View Profile
May 31, 2013, 11:34:47 PM

what is the biggest exchange for all of the new alt coins?
Portnoy
Legendary

Activity: 2030
Merit: 1000

My money; Our Bitcoin.

View Profile
May 31, 2013, 11:42:43 PM

The only two serious coins at the moment with good devs. and backing are PXC and NetCoin, when it's released -

The only two coins worth bothering with are Bitcoin and namecoin.
BitNit

Activity: 83
Merit: 10

View Profile
May 31, 2013, 11:57:14 PM

If the new Alt coin makes an improvement and isn't designed to be a "selfish" coin I am okay with it. Otherwise you have just created a pointless "coin" with no potential. I don't see the point in it either.

When they start naming it Virgin coin and Sex coin it does give bitcoin a not so serious image. They won't be able to distinguish how bitcoin is on another level and isn't here to play games in a sense.   

bitcoinXXX

Activity: 18

View Profile
June 01, 2013, 12:41:55 AM

btc-e seems to have a lot of alt-coins
intellivision

Activity: 31

View Profile
June 01, 2013, 12:59:54 AM

The only two coins worth bothering with are Bitcoin and namecoin.

I'd throw Peercoin and Freicoin in there too since they introduce useful concepts to Bitcoin such as Proof of Stake (interest) and a Demurrage fee respectively, not to mention that the blocks are still easy to mine.
BitNit

Activity: 83
Merit: 10

View Profile
June 01, 2013, 01:01:53 AM

btc-e seems to have a lot of alt-coins

I'm waiting for them to add weed coin next.

Don't hold you're breathe.

Aquaficial

Activity: 18

View Profile
June 01, 2013, 01:25:16 AM

I have seen like 20 of the new alt coins pop up in like the past month. It is sort of ridiculous.
Zaih

Activity: 504
Merit: 500

View Profile
June 01, 2013, 01:27:40 AM

It's the people who actually mine them who are the root problem. If it wasn't for the massive attention they got every time they opened there wouldn't be any popping up at all.

If your one of the people who waste their time thinking your an 'early adopter', stop. Your just encouraging them to keep being stupid, not to mention wasting your own time

Angry
imdrunk

Activity: 15

View Profile
June 01, 2013, 03:07:27 AM

Are any alts worth the bother?
TheSpiral

Activity: 322
Merit: 113

Sinbad Mixer: Mix Your BTC Quickly

View Profile
June 01, 2013, 04:02:38 AM

Are any alts worth the bother?

Sure, but that's a matter of opinion.
LiteCoin is on a decline, but has a decent foundation and should bounce back (a least a little).
Aside from that, all opinion. DevCoin and NameCoin shouldn't be going anywhere, because they can be merge mined along with BitCoin, so they'll always be actively mined. WorldCoin seems to have held value fairly well compared to the new batch of alt coins, the rest are sort of all over the map.
Pages: [1] 2 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: