Bitcoin Forum
May 01, 2024, 10:10:31 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1] 2 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Privacy Shark - Issues With Email (Was: Do Not Use Privacy Shark - Fraud Alert)  (Read 4416 times)
joe (OP)

Activity: 64
Merit: 10

View Profile
December 11, 2010, 09:06:42 PM
Last edit: December 15, 2010, 07:14:00 AM by joe

I signed up for a domain name with them about a month ago. A week later, sent an email requesting the domain to be DNS'd to a different IP. No response. Messaged their account here on the bitcoin forums, no response. Still no action. Cost me 99 BTC for the 1 month of a VPS I bought waiting for the DNS name to work. Plus the BTC I gave to these criminals for the domain name in the first place.

I am not the only one having problems with nobody home at privacy shark. There are other complaints on Privacy Shark, see this thread: http://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=577.msg6105

When someone posts on bitcoin.org with problems with their service, sometimes they suddenly wake up and deflect blame back on to the customer, the customer's email provider, anything except themselves.

Avoid privacy shark.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Bitcoin addresses contain a checksum, so it is very unlikely that mistyping an address will cause you to lose money.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
kiba
Legendary

Activity: 980
Merit: 1014

View Profile
December 11, 2010, 09:29:11 PM

Usually when you posted on the bitcoin.org forum, you don't call them a fraud first. You ask for customer service on the forum...then if they did not reply, feel free to call them a scammer.

Beware, that others have good customer service with them. So this accusation can deflect back on you.

jgarzik
Legendary

Activity: 1596
Merit: 1091

View Profile
December 11, 2010, 09:32:43 PM

+1 agreed, joe

Jeff Garzik, Bloq CEO, former bitcoin core dev team; opinions are my own.
Visit bloq.com / metronome.io
Donations / tip jar: 1BrufViLKnSWtuWGkryPsKsxonV2NQ7Tcj
kiba
Legendary

View Profile
December 11, 2010, 09:34:38 PM

With BitDNS, I don't think you have to care much about customer service since registration of domain names is entirely automatic.

The Madhatter

Activity: 490
Merit: 509

My avatar pic says it all

View Profile
December 12, 2010, 02:01:26 AM

I use them for my domains and I have not had a problem.

I did, however, have a slight problem getting my emails past their spam filter.
nanaimogold

Activity: 661
Merit: 251

View Profile
December 12, 2010, 07:30:01 AM

It worked fine for me. Fast too. coffee4bitcoin.com was working within an hour or so.

One thing I did notice that might be the cause of a problem. I sent an email to that crazy address of theirs and hotmail converted all the upper case chars to lowercase.

BioMike
Legendary

Activity: 1658
Merit: 1001

View Profile
December 12, 2010, 07:52:05 AM

One thing I did notice that might be the cause of a problem. I sent an email to that crazy address of theirs and hotmail converted all the upper case chars to lowercase.

Email is not case sensitive.
nanaimogold

View Profile
December 12, 2010, 07:57:29 AM

Crypto hashes are.

BioMike
Legendary

View Profile
December 12, 2010, 08:01:35 AM

Crypto hashes are.

Ah. I thought you meant the email address.
nanaimogold

View Profile
December 12, 2010, 08:19:38 AM

I did mean the email. It looks like the address has been hashed.

At any rate, it's weird and maybe not working correctly.

BioMike
Legendary

View Profile
December 12, 2010, 08:46:34 AM

I did mean the email. It looks like the address has been hashed.

At any rate, it's weird and maybe not working correctly.

I would not be confident that they are competent with their services then, if they make these obvious mistakes.

Here is a nice quote to cover it:

Quote from: Hanlon's razor
Never attribute to malice that which is adequately explained by stupidity.
ShadowOfHarbringer
Legendary

Activity: 1470
Merit: 1005

Bringing Legendary Har® to you since 1952

View Profile
December 12, 2010, 09:03:09 AM

WTF is privacy shark ?

----
EDIT:
(After googling)
Ah, this one http://www.privacyshark.com/

davout
Legendary

Activity: 1372
Merit: 1007

1davout

View Profile WWW
December 12, 2010, 09:18:25 AM

WTF is privacy shark ?

----
EDIT:
(After googling)
Ah, this one http://www.privacyshark.com/

http://www.bash.org/?837510

nanaimogold

View Profile
December 12, 2010, 09:12:36 PM

I did test that crazy email address and it worked.

I got a reply in about 12 hrs.

privacyshark

Activity: 4
Merit: 0

View Profile WWW
December 14, 2010, 06:46:46 AM

Privacy Shark isn't a scam.

We didn't receive joe's email, and for some reason the PM notifications on the forum don't seem to work at all. Can the forum admin please fix that? It would help us avoid posts like this one.

We do not provide support over PM. Email us. Be sure to use the email account that you signed up with. If this is not possible, please use the password that you provided upon signup.

We have setup a new email alias: "support @ privacy shark DOT com". It is memorable and easy to type in. After looking at our mailserver logs we have noticed that a lot of people were misspelling our other email address so the mail was being dropped. This is what probably happened to joe's email to us.

As you can imagine we have our email addresses listed on literally hundreds of domains, so spam is a huge problem for us. We are hoping that spam to the new support alias will be manageable.

Thanks to nanaimo gold to letting us know about this thread, and for sending us a test email.

Hugo
kiba
Legendary

View Profile
December 14, 2010, 06:57:03 AM

Next time, can we refrain from calling a company a fraud early, especially when you're trying to get customer service, and especially so if others had good customer service?

A lot of issue are apparently communication.

FreeMoney
Legendary

Activity: 1246

Strength in numbers

View Profile WWW
December 14, 2010, 09:11:43 AM

It sounds like a thread title change would be appropriate.

Play Bitcoin Poker at sealswithclubs.eu. We're active and open to everyone.
joe (OP)

Activity: 64
Merit: 10

View Profile
December 15, 2010, 06:51:48 AM
Last edit: December 15, 2010, 07:08:33 AM by joe

Privacy Shark isn't a scam.
There are serious communication issues that will likely cause someone to lose money again. I look forward to privacy shark implementing changes to prevent these problems from happening to others.
We didn't receive joe's email,
Yes, you did. Since you presumably run your own mail server, there is not even a mechanism by which an email could possibly be dropped en route.
and for some reason the PM notifications on the forum don't seem to work at all.
The PMs themselves work. You found my PM yesterday and sent me a reply. You are referring to a notification system whereby the bitcoin forum sends an email to you when you receive a PM. I venture to suggest that the lack of PM notifications to your email is related to the main problem of not receiving emails from customers.
Can the forum admin please fix that? It would help us avoid posts like this one.
Please avoid posts like this by preventing the same mistakes from happening multiple times with multiple customers. When this happened before nothing was done to correct the problem except blame the customer and everyone else, as you are doing again here.

If we are to believe your claim that you were not receiving emails, it would have been appropriate for you to investigate the configuration of your mail server then, to find out why.
We do not provide support over PM. Email us.
It is disappointing that you continue to deny there is any problem with your email, and then close your door to other methods of reaching you.
Be sure to use the email account that you signed up with.
I did.
If this is not possible, please use the password that you provided upon signup.

We have setup a new email alias: "support @ privacy shark DOT com". It is memorable and easy to type in. After looking at our mailserver logs we have noticed that a lot of people were misspelling our other email address so the mail was being dropped. This is what probably happened to joe's email to us.
No, I spelled it correctly. I sent multiple emails, and I double- and triple- checked the spelling on each, as any reasonable person would after not receiving responses.
As you can imagine we have our email addresses listed on literally hundreds of domains, so spam is a huge problem for us. We are hoping that spam to the new support alias will be manageable.

Thanks to nanaimo gold to letting us know about this thread, and for sending us a test email.

Hugo

privacyshark

Activity: 4
Merit: 0

View Profile WWW
December 15, 2010, 07:58:27 AM

There are serious communication issues that will likely cause someone to lose money again.

I fail to see how you lost money. After reviewing your order I see that your domain was registered and running within hours of your Bitcoin payment to us.

Your complaint is about a change to your existing service. A request that never reached us.

Yes, you did. Since you presumably run your own mail server, there is not even a mechanism by which an email could possibly be dropped en route.

You can verify that it was delivered to me successfully? You can verify that my eyes actually saw the email? Are you telling me that everything always works as expected?

The PMs themselves work. You found my PM yesterday and sent me a reply.

That was only after we received an email from nanamo gold telling us about this thread. How did his email reach us? Was it magic?

I venture to suggest that the lack of PM notifications to your email is related to the main problem of not receiving emails from customers.

That's a bold assumption. How did we get an email from nanaimo gold then? Why does the forum PM notification not work to our new email address as well?

For the time being, I have set a signature telling people to just email us. I've also blocked all PMs.

Please avoid posts like this by preventing the same mistakes from happening multiple times with multiple customers. When this happened before nothing was done to correct the problem except blame the customer and everyone else, as you are doing again here.

The previous complaint was about an order that was placed during the weekend. We are a 9-5 business that keeps real hours. Everything here is done by hand. Re-read the old thread again.

If we are to believe your claim that you were not receiving emails, it would have been appropriate for you to investigate the configuration of your mail server then, to find out why.

Re-read my post from yesterday and you'll have your answer.

Hugo
nanaimogold

View Profile
December 15, 2010, 09:16:22 AM
Last edit: December 15, 2010, 10:17:49 AM by nanaimogold

It's true that the notification of PM by email on this board is broken. I did some experiments that any one of us can duplicate.

Privacy Shark, as a service, is much older than Bitcoin and much older than this forum. To expect support through this board seems rather silly.

It's pretty sad when people forget their morality because they can hide from civil responsibility behind their computers. You try accusing someone of a crime IRL and you had better be able to back it up or face consequences. All I can do is refuse to trade with you Joe, but if you were in my town and tried this shit with me, you would be punished for your slander.

In the interests of fairness and accuracy, I second the motion to have this thread re-titled.

Pages: [1] 2 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: