Bitcoin Forum
May 05, 2024, 12:59:08 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Best/worst places to be in the United States once the USD plummets?  (Read 4591 times)
cheesylard (OP)

Activity: 104
Merit: 10

View Profile WWW
June 01, 2013, 03:39:12 AM

Since this is gonna inevitably happen in the next decade, this should be something we should at least be aware of. Where would you want to be if this happens, and where would you most definitely NOT want to be?

Gonna get the obvious ones out of the way first:
Wouldn't want to be in Washington DC.
Would want to be anywhere in the silicon valley, CA. (except for EPA and east San Jose)
There are several different types of Bitcoin clients. The most secure are full nodes like Bitcoin Core, but full nodes are more resource-heavy, and they must do a lengthy initial syncing process. As a result, lightweight clients with somewhat less security are commonly used.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
myrkul

Activity: 532
Merit: 500

FIAT LIBERTAS RVAT CAELVM

View Profile WWW
June 01, 2013, 03:44:15 AM

Chicago/any of the various heavy gun control cities would be a bad place to be.

BTC1MYRkuLv4XPBa6bGnYAronz55grPAGcxja
Need Dispute resolution? Public Key ID: 0x11D341CF
No person has the right to initiate force, threat of force, or fraud against another person or their property. VIM VI REPELLERE LICET
wdmw

Activity: 199
Merit: 100

View Profile
June 01, 2013, 05:00:16 AM

This might be a good place to be, if they get it going.

http://www.iiicitadel.com/
Ekaros

Activity: 728

View Profile
June 01, 2013, 05:58:38 AM

I would say places that grow food for humans, that is not that corn crap...

12pA5nZB5AoXZaaEeoxh5bNqUGXwUUp3Uv
http://firstbits.com/1qdiz
Feel free to help poor student!
myrkul

View Profile WWW
June 01, 2013, 06:02:00 AM

Corn, wheat, oats or rice, in the end it's all grass.

No person has the right to initiate force, threat of force, or fraud against another person or their property. VIM VI REPELLERE LICET
Ekaros

Activity: 728

View Profile
June 01, 2013, 06:03:50 AM

Still, I would prefer to be near where something I can eat is grown...

The mass produced corn isn't really too edible...

12pA5nZB5AoXZaaEeoxh5bNqUGXwUUp3Uv
http://firstbits.com/1qdiz
Feel free to help poor student!
myrkul

View Profile WWW
June 01, 2013, 06:10:37 AM

Still, I would prefer to be near where something I can eat is grown...

The mass produced corn isn't really too edible...
If you're careful, and lucky, your back yard can grow enough wheat to feed you. A couple of window gardens with herbs, and maybe an indoor grow room for tomatoes, and you'll be doing OK. Not a very varied diet, but mostly nutritionally complete, if you can get some fish.

Schleicher

Activity: 675
Merit: 513

View Profile
June 01, 2013, 05:14:42 PM

It's not as complicated as some people might think to grow stuff in your garden.
Potatoes, beans, peas, carrots, etc.
You only have to make sure it doesn't get eaten by rabbits or snails.

myrkul

View Profile WWW
June 01, 2013, 06:00:16 PM

Hmm. I wonder what food it would be more beneficial to plant in a limited space garden... what sort of garden would be the most nutritionally complete, and how much space would be required per person?

I might do some research on that.

btceic

Activity: 392
Merit: 250

♫ A wave came crashing like a fist to the jaw ♫

View Profile WWW
June 01, 2013, 06:10:13 PM

Hmm. I wonder what food it would be more beneficial to plant in a limited space garden... what sort of garden would be the most nutritionally complete, and how much space would be required per person?

Heard a guy come on Bloomberg over sirius/xm the other day that is on a liquid diet only, called it soylent, I kid you not. When he mentioned the name I thought that Bloomberg or sirius was running a spoof.

Why on earth they would call it this is beyond me considering the movie and all.... (look up soylent green if you haven't seen the movie.)

http://motherboard.vice.com/blog/drink-soylent-and-youll-never-have-to-eat-again
https://campaign.soylent.me/soylent-free-your-body

So what’s in Soylent, exactly?
Everything the body needs – that we know of, anyway – vitamins, minerals and macronutrients like essential amino acids, carbohydrates and fat. For the fat, I just use olive oil and add fish oil. The carbs are an oligosaccharide, which is like sugar, but the molecules are longer, meaning it takes longer to metabolize and gives you a steady flow of energy for a longer period of time, rather than a sugar rush from something like fructose or table sugar. I also add some non-essentials like antioxidants and probiotics and lately have been experimenting with nootropics

♫ This situation, which side are you on? Are you getting out? Are you dropping bombs? Have you heard of diplomatic resolve? ♫ How To Run A Cheap Full Bitcoin Node For $19 A Year ♫ If I knew where it was, I would take you there. There’s much more than this. ♫ Track Your Bitcoins Value
myrkul

View Profile WWW
June 01, 2013, 06:33:36 PM

Heard a guy come on Bloomberg over sirius/xm the other day that is on a liquid diet only, called it soylent, I kid you not. When he mentioned the name I thought that Bloomberg or sirius was running a spoof.
Well, there is a robotics company named Cyberdyne. I'm beginning to think these things are named as jokes.

bit777

Activity: 420
Merit: 250

View Profile
June 01, 2013, 07:05:29 PM

Costa Rica! Manuel Antonio. Beautiful beaches, not too many people, plenty of agriculture, very basic and yet pleasant life.
benjamindees
Legendary

Activity: 1330
Merit: 1000

View Profile
June 01, 2013, 08:35:17 PM

The less red, the better.

In most of those areas, less red means less water, which means no food.

My answer is 'as far from a Federal Reserve district bank as practical'.

Civil Liberty Through Complex Mathematics
counter

Activity: 798

Time is on our side, yes it is!

View Profile
June 02, 2013, 04:05:54 AM

In my Bunker on my private heavily fortified island  Cool
Spendulus
Legendary

Activity: 2898
Merit: 1386

View Profile
June 02, 2013, 03:51:01 PM

For the average person, someone hardworking and careful, I would figure three crop cycles (basically three years) of part time work to get decent production from a garden.  In some cases, longer.  For some areas and for some people, never.  There are massive amounts of "lore" and technique involved.

Anyone who wants to have some fun with gardening and learn from it, try grapes or strawberries.
hashman
Legendary

Activity: 1264
Merit: 1008

View Profile
June 03, 2013, 03:51:12 PM

If you're careful, and lucky, your back yard can grow enough wheat to feed you. A couple of window gardens with herbs, and maybe an indoor grow room for tomatoes, and you'll be doing OK. Not a very varied diet, but mostly nutritionally complete, if you can get some fish.

Why would you want fish? 
myrkul

View Profile WWW
June 03, 2013, 08:50:29 PM

Why would you want fish? 
Protein, mostly. A couple of essential vitamins/oils and such. Take up less space than a cow, too.

Keep in mind this is just off the top of my head, I haven't done a lot of research on what, exactly, you would need to have, but just spit-balling: bread for calories, herbs for flavor and vitamins, tomatoes for the all-important vitamin C, and fish for protein and other vitamins. I'm no nutritionist, but that seems fairly complete to me, if boring.

Littleshop
Legendary

Activity: 1386
Merit: 1003

View Profile WWW
June 03, 2013, 10:25:09 PM

The less red, the better.

In most of those areas, less red means less water, which means no food.

I'll take the difficulties of dealing with obtaining water over the difficulties of dealing with hungry mobs.

You start with your own supply of water and food in a remote place to outlast most, then you can go in six months to a lot more places with water later.  Having six months of food supply is not too hard, having six months of water is tougher unless you have a well.

SEC agent

Activity: 98
Merit: 10

America, land of the free

View Profile
June 03, 2013, 10:28:06 PM

Since this is gonna inevitably happen in the next decade

Yeah, I don't think this is true at all. I think I'll just stay where I am and not worry about Doomsday Prepping.

"It may be laid down as a primary position, and the basis of our system, that every Citizen who enjoys the protection of a Free Government, owes not only a proportion of his property, but even of his personal services to the defense of it." -George Washington
myrkul

View Profile WWW
June 03, 2013, 10:30:33 PM

Since this is gonna inevitably happen in the next decade
Yeah, I don't think this is true at all.
Says the obvious government troll.

Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: