Bitcoin Forum
June 24, 2024, 04:25:44 PM *
News: Voting for pizza day contest

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 [2] 3 4 5 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Best/worst places to be in the United States once the USD plummets?  (Read 4608 times)
SEC agent

Activity: 98
Merit: 10

America, land of the free

View Profile
June 03, 2013, 10:33:23 PM

I see no compelling reason to believe that the dollar is "inevitably" going to plummet in the next decade.

"It may be laid down as a primary position, and the basis of our system, that every Citizen who enjoys the protection of a Free Government, owes not only a proportion of his property, but even of his personal services to the defense of it." -George Washington
Elwar
Legendary

Activity: 3598
Merit: 2386

Viva Ut Vivas

View Profile WWW
June 04, 2013, 12:02:54 AM

I see no compelling reason to believe that the dollar is "inevitably" going to plummet in the next decade.

The May 28 Daily Treasury Statement shows that the US Treasury has an operating cash balance of ~$16 billion which is roughly one day's average cash outlay of about $17 billion. That same statement showed that we are $25 Million shy of the new debt ceiling.

Since the onset of Expanded QE3, the Fed has monetized 73% of Net Public Treasury Debt Issuance, should hit 100% by Mid-July if it continues at this pace, as the Fed has indicated it will continue into the summer.

The US government can't control foreign holders of US IOUs (US Treasury Bonds) who have a growing perception they will never be paid back on the trillions of dollars of debt owed them. Foreign holders of US Treasury bills can sell them off at a loss to others.

The amount those T-bonds are discounted is the amount the US dollar will be valued at in the world marketplace. At that point, the US faces a default on its obligations to pay back lenders.

First seastead company actually selling sea homes: Ocean Builders https://ocean.builders  Of course we accept bitcoin.
Elwar
Legendary

Viva Ut Vivas

View Profile WWW
June 04, 2013, 12:07:36 AM

As for the best place...

I am not sure if being here with the military in Afghanistan is the best place to be. They would likely pull the troops back to "secure" things back home. They would likely not care about protecting things over here anymore leaving us vulnerable.

But the government will pour money into protecting themselves before anything else so being in front of that fire hose will help me financially as long as I continue to just convert my paychecks to bitcoins.

But when I get back to the US I am looking at three options. BlueSeed, New Hampshire or going mobile.

First seastead company actually selling sea homes: Ocean Builders https://ocean.builders  Of course we accept bitcoin.
myrkul

Activity: 532
Merit: 500

FIAT LIBERTAS RVAT CAELVM

View Profile WWW
June 04, 2013, 12:34:18 AM

I am not sure if being here with the military in Afghanistan is the best place to be. They would likely pull the troops back to "secure" things back home. They would likely not care about protecting things over here anymore leaving us vulnerable.

BTC1MYRkuLv4XPBa6bGnYAronz55grPAGcxja
Need Dispute resolution? Public Key ID: 0x11D341CF
No person has the right to initiate force, threat of force, or fraud against another person or their property. VIM VI REPELLERE LICET
Severian

Activity: 476
Merit: 250

View Profile
June 04, 2013, 12:40:37 AM

Hmm. I wonder what food it would be more beneficial to plant in a limited space garden... what sort of garden would be the most nutritionally complete, and how much space would be required per person?

I might do some research on that.

A good start:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Square_foot_gardening
Elwar
Legendary

Viva Ut Vivas

View Profile WWW
June 04, 2013, 12:51:16 AM

Ya, I think about that image...

Luckily I work at an airport and there are commercial airlines here...money would talk.

Otherwise I am screwed.

hashman
Legendary

Activity: 1264
Merit: 1008

View Profile
June 04, 2013, 01:37:36 PM

If you're careful, and lucky, your back yard can grow enough wheat to feed you. A couple of window gardens with herbs, and maybe an indoor grow room for tomatoes, and you'll be doing OK. Not a very varied diet, but mostly nutritionally complete, if you can get some fish.

Why would you want fish? 
Protein, mostly. A couple of essential vitamins/oils and such. Take up less space than a cow, too.

Keep in mind this is just off the top of my head, I haven't done a lot of research on what, exactly, you would need to have, but just spit-balling: bread for calories, herbs for flavor and vitamins, tomatoes for the all-important vitamin C, and fish for protein and other vitamins. I'm no nutritionist, but that seems fairly complete to me, if boring.

Thanks, my apologies for off topic post and bring up nutrition which seems a science in its infancy with little we can say here productively.  Personally I hope my family friends and I remain lucky enough to have enough fruits and plants to eat and to never be poor/hungry enough to be forced to eat many animal proteins.  But when we are forced or gifted, we'll of course be thankful for any sustenance.             
wdmw

Activity: 199
Merit: 100

View Profile
June 04, 2013, 06:40:08 PM

Hmm. I wonder what food it would be more beneficial to plant in a limited space garden... what sort of garden would be the most nutritionally complete, and how much space would be required per person?

Since you mentioned 'getting some fish', check out greenhouse aquaponics.

myrkul

Activity: 532
Merit: 500

FIAT LIBERTAS RVAT CAELVM

View Profile WWW
June 04, 2013, 06:42:21 PM

Since you mentioned 'getting some fish', check out greenhouse aquaponics.
I was thinking along those lines, but I've heard those systems can be difficult to set up and delicate to maintain.

Maybe once the twins have outgrown their "high-speed wrecking ball" stage.

BTC1MYRkuLv4XPBa6bGnYAronz55grPAGcxja
Need Dispute resolution? Public Key ID: 0x11D341CF
No person has the right to initiate force, threat of force, or fraud against another person or their property. VIM VI REPELLERE LICET
Elwar
Legendary

Viva Ut Vivas

View Profile WWW
June 04, 2013, 07:04:03 PM

Check out Freight Farms
http://freightfarms.com/

A farm in a freight container.

wdmw

View Profile
June 04, 2013, 07:18:27 PM

If you have fish and vegetables (greenhouse aquaponics), I suspect people will be throwing corn and wheat at you for a chance at some trade.
Spendulus
Legendary

Activity: 2898
Merit: 1386

View Profile
June 05, 2013, 02:18:48 AM

.......I hope my family friends and I remain lucky enough to have enough fruits and plants to eat and to never be poor/hungry enough to be forced to eat many animal proteins.  But when we are forced or gifted, we'll of course be thankful for any sustenance.             
I agree with you completely.  I'll do the animal protein thing, thanks for the dogs.

Smiley
Biomech
Legendary

Activity: 1372
Merit: 1022

Anarchy is not chaos.

View Profile
June 05, 2013, 03:42:30 AM

A good start:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Square_foot_gardening

and another one. http://www.markhamfarm.com/

I think rural Idaho is a good place, because it's largely unpopulated and game is ever present. Water isn't much of an issue either. You can hit it at about 3-4 hundred feet most places in a well, and there are numerous lakes and streams.

Just stay away from Boise. It's full of Boiseans Tongue
MoonShadow
Legendary

Activity: 1708
Merit: 1007

View Profile
June 05, 2013, 04:16:17 AM

PERMIES.COM

"The powers of financial capitalism had another far-reaching aim, nothing less than to create a world system of financial control in private hands able to dominate the political system of each country and the economy of the world as a whole. This system was to be controlled in a feudalist fashion by the central banks of the world acting in concert, by secret agreements arrived at in frequent meetings and conferences. The apex of the systems was to be the Bank for International Settlements in Basel, Switzerland, a private bank owned and controlled by the world's central banks which were themselves private corporations. Each central bank...sought to dominate its government by its ability to control Treasury loans, to manipulate foreign exchanges, to influence the level of economic activity in the country, and to influence cooperative politicians by subsequent economic rewards in the business world."

- Carroll Quigley, CFR member, mentor to Bill Clinton, from 'Tragedy And Hope'
ShireSilver

Activity: 382
Merit: 253

View Profile WWW
June 06, 2013, 01:21:31 PM

Unless you're really into self-sufficiency and way out in the boondocks then you're going to need good neighbors. That's one of the reasons why New Hampshire is a good place to be. Not only are there already over 1,200 libertarian types here, but the natives are pretty darn good. We have places like Grafton, where 5-10 acre places are available that can allow subsistence farms; plus there's a lot of Free Staters and natives there that are into self-sufficiency. There's small towns all over where you can really get to know your neighbors, which helps with the safety aspect. We have two large gun manufacturers and a bunch of smaller ones, and a climate of acceptance of the right to self defense. It is a little hot in the summer, but its worth putting up with that for the freedom that comes with it.

[But I do think the total collapse scenario is unlikely. In either case though, taking steps towards self-sufficiency and good neighbors is wise counsel.]

Shire Silver, a better bullion that fits in your wallet. Get some, now accepting bitcoin!
Elwar
Legendary

Viva Ut Vivas

View Profile WWW
June 06, 2013, 04:12:02 PM

It is a little hot in the summer, but its worth putting up with that for the freedom that comes with it.

lol Wink

AzureEngineer

Activity: 98
Merit: 10

View Profile
June 06, 2013, 05:22:30 PM

The world is always the worst it has ever been.  Roll Eyes

My name was simply a play on "Blue Engineer" from Team Fortress. I am not affiliated with Microsoft or the Azure project.
wdmw

View Profile
June 06, 2013, 05:59:17 PM

Check out Freight Farms

This is a great concept, but the $60,000 USD price tag seems a bit high.  Also, there isn't a lot of information on their website before you throw down this kind of money.
mprep
Global Moderator
Legendary

Activity: 3766
Merit: 2610

In a world of peaches, don't ask for apple sauce

View Profile WWW
June 09, 2013, 10:48:22 AM

Check out Freight Farms

This is a great concept, but the $60,000 USD price tag seems a bit high.  Also, there isn't a lot of information on their website before you throw down this kind of money.
Yeah, the 'a bit high' is an understatement.

Cranky4u

Activity: 810
Merit: 1000

View Profile WWW
June 11, 2013, 05:29:46 AM
Last edit: June 11, 2013, 05:41:10 AM by Cranky4u

check out "aquaponics" if your serious about self sufficeny of food production. We have a 3000L system which holds 250 plate size fish which we grow from fingerlings. The fish excrement provides food for 8 vegetable grow beds and because they are soaked in nutrient rich waters they grow 30~40% faster than any dirt veggie garden I have had before.

Fish stock:
* Rainbow trout (winter)
* Silver perch (summer)
* Cat fish (all-round)

Veggies (seasonal):
* Snow peas
* Broccili
* Lettuce
* Chilli
* herbs (parsley, mint, corriander, lemon grass)
* corn
* broad beans
* cucumbers
* squash
* pumpkin
* water melon

We also have 8 chickens for eggs.

This covers about 75% of our grocery bill.

All of this can be achieved in a 40m^2 area. Example site  > http://www.aquaponics.com.au

Pages: « 1 [2] 3 4 5 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: