Bitcoin Forum
June 16, 2024, 10:53:02 AM *
News: Voting for pizza day contest

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 2 [3] 4 5 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Best/worst places to be in the United States once the USD plummets?  (Read 4605 times)
KornShell

Activity: 42
Merit: 0

View Profile
June 11, 2013, 11:13:51 AM

Aquaponics sounds like the way to go.  See "Backyard Liberty: The smart, easy way to food independence", available on the Interrnet.

Dr, Arthur B. Robinson, a research chemist at the Oregon Institute of Science and Medicine, recommends a ration of one part soybeans, two parts corn and two parts wheat (by weight).  Plus vitamin C and salt (sodium chloride).  The vitamin C can be omitted if some of the wheat is sprouted.  Stored in a cool, dry place as whole grains, this ration will last for decades and costs very little. This ration is in the FEMA public literature, according to him.

If you do not have a well, check out LifeSaver at  http://www.lifesaversystems.com/

I have one of their jerry cans.

Where to be when TSHTF?  Near a military base.  Preferably a Marine camp.
FoBoT

Activity: 658
Merit: 250

View Profile
June 11, 2013, 03:54:03 PM

the best food for survival is what the american natives used to grow, the 'three sisters' they called them

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Three_Sisters_(agriculture)

The Three Sisters are the three main agricultural crops of various Native American groups in North America: squash, maize (corn), and climbing beans (typically tepary beans or common beans).
In one technique known as companion planting, the three crops are planted close together. Flat-topped mounds of soil are built for each cluster of crops.[1] Each mound is about 30 cm (12 in) high and 50 cm (20 in) wide, and several maize seeds are planted close together in the center of each mound. In parts of the Atlantic Northeast, rotten fish or eels are buried in the mound with the maize seeds, to act as additional fertilizer where the soil is poor.[2][3] When the maize is 15 cm (6 inches) tall, beans and squash are planted around the maize, alternating between the two kinds of seeds.

the natives of the american continents lived here for thousands of years before european's/technology came over the big pond, reverting back to their ways seems logical

p.s. they didn't live in large/giant cities for reasons, if you are serious, you gotta get to a rural area
Elwar
Legendary

Activity: 3598
Merit: 2386

Viva Ut Vivas

View Profile WWW
June 11, 2013, 04:30:04 PM

p.s. they didn't live in large/giant cities for reasons,

No elevators...

First seastead company actually selling sea homes: Ocean Builders https://ocean.builders  Of course we accept bitcoin.
MoonShadow
Legendary

Activity: 1708
Merit: 1007

View Profile
June 11, 2013, 09:11:42 PM

check out "aquaponics" if your serious about self sufficeny of food production. We have a 3000L system which holds 250 plate size fish which we grow from fingerlings. The fish excrement provides food for 8 vegetable grow beds and because they are soaked in nutrient rich waters they grow 30~40% faster than any dirt veggie garden I have had before.

Done correctly, aquaponics is hughly effective, no doubt.  But doesn't your system require electricity?

"The powers of financial capitalism had another far-reaching aim, nothing less than to create a world system of financial control in private hands able to dominate the political system of each country and the economy of the world as a whole. This system was to be controlled in a feudalist fashion by the central banks of the world acting in concert, by secret agreements arrived at in frequent meetings and conferences. The apex of the systems was to be the Bank for International Settlements in Basel, Switzerland, a private bank owned and controlled by the world's central banks which were themselves private corporations. Each central bank...sought to dominate its government by its ability to control Treasury loans, to manipulate foreign exchanges, to influence the level of economic activity in the country, and to influence cooperative politicians by subsequent economic rewards in the business world."

- Carroll Quigley, CFR member, mentor to Bill Clinton, from 'Tragedy And Hope'
MoonShadow
Legendary

View Profile
June 11, 2013, 09:23:56 PM

No elevators...

That's not the primary reason.  The main reason was the way their society was organized and how the human mind works.  Rare did the tribal group grow beyond Dunbar's number without conflicts, except when there was an external threat to their people that compelled them to unite.

Although the lack of electricity to run elevators and fresh water pumps is a really good reason to leave urban areas that are concentrated enough that buildings higher than three stories were common.  City planners and emergency management professionals have long known that populations go crazy after three days without water, and either resort to unsanitary consumption that results in mass outbreaks of deadly diseases or mass civil unrest as groups who believe that resources are deliberately be held from them revolt against their perceived oppressors (whether true enough or not); often both these things.  Once upon a time, every city and town would make certain that the water towers held enough water for their demographics for three days at least, should the power fail long term and the pumps couldn't be run.  Population growth has outpaced those demographic predictions decades ago, and many urban areas couldn't supply three days without power no matter what.  Some 15 years or so ago, I worked on a public works project for the Cincinnait Water Works; installing an entire system of diesel & natural gas fired emergency pumps all controlled by central controls with minimum electric power requirements, and gensets to supply those minimums.  It's an awesome system.  It's a real pity that Cincinnati doesn't have the legal right, and therefore the capacity, to draw freshwater from the Ohio River.  They have to draw from the Little Miami and Great Miami Rivers.

"The powers of financial capitalism had another far-reaching aim, nothing less than to create a world system of financial control in private hands able to dominate the political system of each country and the economy of the world as a whole. This system was to be controlled in a feudalist fashion by the central banks of the world acting in concert, by secret agreements arrived at in frequent meetings and conferences. The apex of the systems was to be the Bank for International Settlements in Basel, Switzerland, a private bank owned and controlled by the world's central banks which were themselves private corporations. Each central bank...sought to dominate its government by its ability to control Treasury loans, to manipulate foreign exchanges, to influence the level of economic activity in the country, and to influence cooperative politicians by subsequent economic rewards in the business world."

bitzox

Activity: 172
Merit: 100

View Profile
June 11, 2013, 09:25:38 PM

check out "aquaponics" if your serious about self sufficeny of food production. We have a 3000L system which holds 250 plate size fish which we grow from fingerlings. The fish excrement provides food for 8 vegetable grow beds and because they are soaked in nutrient rich waters they grow 30~40% faster than any dirt veggie garden I have had before.

Done correctly, aquaponics is hughly effective, no doubt.  But doesn't your system require electricity?

My thoughts exactly, the system itself looks really cool but it definitely requires electricity which poses a problem. I live in California so solar is an option but what about at nights or during prolonged cloudy periods? If we are talking about a serious societal collapse even a generator powered by propane or diesel becomes inconvenient real quick. I know their are small semi-portable wind power generators but the problem with that and solar is what do you do if something breaks or malfunctions?

18QpV8ZF3Y4oK8guDQiwTAK73W9r5nvBtm
bitzox

View Profile
June 11, 2013, 09:27:07 PM

No elevators...
That's not the primary reason.  The main reason was the way their society was organized and how the human mind works.  Rare did the tribal group grow beyond Dunbar's number without conflicts, except when there was an external threat to their people that compelled them to unite.

Pretty sure that comment was a joke.  Cool

Cranky4u

Activity: 810
Merit: 1000

View Profile WWW
June 11, 2013, 10:42:23 PM

My thoughts exactly, the system itself looks really cool but it definitely requires electricity which poses a problem. I live in California so solar is an option but what about at nights or during prolonged cloudy periods? If we are talking about a serious societal collapse even a generator powered by propane or diesel becomes inconvenient real quick. I know their are small semi-portable wind power generators but the problem with that and solar is what do you do if something breaks or malfunctions?

Aquaponics has been around for at least 3000 years so I suppose you could find a non-electric way to pump the water. If a hybrid solar / wind system that is off the grid concerns you then you could always go for an older wind powered water pump. If you get desperate, you can bucket the water by hand --- to cycle our system by hand I would need to move only 10 buckets of water three times a day in order to get the syphon actions working.

All in all, one of the better systems as the water you use does not drain away into the sold but stays in the closed system. Loses are from leakes and evaoraption only.

MoonShadow
Legendary

View Profile
June 12, 2013, 05:40:20 PM

No elevators...

Pretty sure that comment was a joke.  Cool

I was using as a segway whether or not it was a joke.

bitzox

View Profile
June 12, 2013, 10:15:45 PM

I was using as a segway whether or not it was a joke.

Man I first read this and thought you said you were using a segway and I just couldn't help but think of this

made me lol a bit  Tongue

TheGovernedSelf

Activity: 102
Merit: 10

View Profile
June 13, 2013, 03:55:05 PM
Last edit: June 13, 2013, 04:09:18 PM by TheGovernedSelf

I see no compelling reason to believe that the dollar is "inevitably" going to plummet in the next decade.

I'm sure Gorbachev said the exact same thing about the Ruble in the late 1980s.  Cheesy

PS- The USD has already plummeted from 2000-present, and this trend will only accelerate.
KornShell

View Profile
June 13, 2013, 07:51:13 PM

I see no compelling reason to believe that the dollar is "inevitably" going to plummet in the next decade.

I'm sure Gorbachev said the exact same thing about the Ruble in the late 1980s.  Cheesy

PS- The USD has already plummeted from 2000-present, and this trend will only accelerate.
The US gov't is in so far over its head that the only way out is default.  Paying back these astronomical debts is impossible.  And if the US gov't defaults, it is game over.  The Fed will lose its exalted status as issuer of the world's reserve currency, and will go back to being just another group of banks.  That's if they are lucky.  If they are unlucky, and weren't quick enough to grab their loot and skedaddle to the Bahamas, they will be hung from lamp posts.  Or worse.
Singlebyte

Activity: 854

View Profile
June 13, 2013, 11:10:23 PM

Up in the mountains.

Fishing
Hunting: Deer, Rabbits, Moose, Ducks, etc
Farming
Less population
Plenty of wood for housing & heat (firewood)
Possibly mining Smiley (minerals....not crypto)
Plenty of water in reservoirs & streams.  Also least contaminated.
Away from government rule and civil unrest
KornShell

View Profile
June 13, 2013, 11:44:15 PM

Up in the mountains.

Fishing
Farming
Less population

And what role would bitcoin play in this scenario?
Singlebyte

Activity: 854

View Profile
June 13, 2013, 11:53:57 PM

Up in the mountains.

Fishing
Farming
Less population

And what role would bitcoin play in this scenario?

None.....

If the dollar collapses then the rest of society is bound to falter.  I will be enjoying the mountains while the rest of the cities across the country are in turmoil.  People will be scrambling for food, shelter & safety.  Albeit this would be worst case scenario.

Bitcoin isn't going to solve all of the worlds problems.

if the dollar just declines, then right where I live today will be just fine.
MoonShadow
Legendary

View Profile
June 14, 2013, 06:17:32 AM

If the dollar collapses then the rest of society is bound to falter. 

Based upon what, exactly?  I would say it very much depends upon the details.  While it's unlikely that the dollar collapses without coincidental civil strife, the portion of the US "society" most immediately dependent upon the trustworthiness of the dollar are those whose paychecks are directly or indirectly dependent upon the government itself.  A very visable breakdown of the dollar, lacking realistic possibilities of returning to a viable currency, would be a harsh blow upon the government to maintain it's grip of control in any local sense.  Whether this is good or bad very much depends upon the particulars of your own local situation, and your particular viewpoint on the value of the federal government itself.

In any case, living in a mountain town isn't a bad place to weather any kind of storm.

No 1

Activity: 140

Ad Infinitum Et Ultra

View Profile
June 14, 2013, 02:01:31 PM

no place is safe prior to USD crash.. You have no idea how the generally population will react

12wqXQuExLnWoWWQy7j35hzBEW91bUz1YS
LcbBQ5oXtTjyKK4V8iaDqgUAAtahv9nsHR
MoonShadow
Legendary

View Profile
June 14, 2013, 09:17:05 PM

no place is safe prior to USD crash.. You have no idea how the generally population will react

No one does, really.  That was my point.  To assume that the population will necessarily go mad just because of a currency crisis is at least as unsupportable.  There have been currency crisies in the past, and the degree to which the population goes mad varied significantly along with the details.

ktttn

Activity: 126

Capitalism is the crisis.

View Profile WWW
June 15, 2013, 12:04:57 AM

For anyone who hasn't seen this, go watch it.
http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Colony_(U.S._TV_series)

Wit all my solidarities,
-ktttn
Ever see a gutterpunk spanging for cryptocoins?
LfkJXVy8DanHm6aKegnmzvY8ZJuw8Dp4Qc
spike420211

Activity: 1610
Merit: 372

View Profile
June 15, 2013, 02:20:10 AM

EPA and east San Jose
U wouldn't catch me there NOW... even armed.
Pages: « 1 2 [3] 4 5 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: