Bitcoin Forum
April 30, 2024, 10:27:29 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 [2]  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Ubuntu or Windows for mining altcoins ?  (Read 995 times)
NobodyIsHome

Activity: 74
Merit: 1

View Profile
September 30, 2017, 03:28:34 AM

Performance really comes down to the miner and GPU drivers.  The disk, CPU, and network see far lower loads.

They both have their advantages.  Personally, I like Ubuntu over Windows for mining because it better fits what I am doing with my setup.  

A lightweight AMD Ubuntu build (minimal services, no X) takes less than 2gb of NFS space and can run near forever with backup power.  My rigs only go down if the GPU overheats/crashes or the server loses a drive (I changed it to RAID 1 so that's no longer a problem).

Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
JaredKaragen
Legendary

Activity: 1848
Merit: 1165

My AR-15 ID's itself as a toaster. Want breakfast?

View Profile WWW
September 30, 2017, 04:03:35 AM

In my experience, XP was MORE stable than 10 is - once it got enough service packs under the hood.

Still wasn't anywhere close to 2000 stability, much less NT4 SP6 or NT 3.51 SP5.

For that matter, *7* seems to have turned out eventually to be able to match or SLIGHTLY exceed XP stability - and 10 is nowhere NEAR 7's poor stability level.

Then there was the combination of Windows for Workgroups 3.11 with QEMM 7.54 - which wasn't NT level stability but could argue with 2k and definitely beat 10.

Still waiting on a "how long they have stayed up at a time" mention.

Perfect uptime for a couple months at a time is NOTHING.

Remember, your concept/perception of an uptime's scale is probably not the concept of a new member whom is asking these types of questions as he did.  

Crap;  you have to babysit some antminer S7's... which their system is based on what OS again?  

It comes down to fallibility in the person configuring it and the hardware being used.  Before or during use.
Most miners need maintenance;  inspections, etc.  How many GPU rigs and asics do you have on for an extended period of time over this "many month" figure you speak of?  Does it matter?  Nope.  Its just data.

...longest time without a power failure or rebooting myself is a tad over 6 months in the last years time.  I live in the cuts;  outages are somewhat regular depending on season.  My old 7 machine (before moving out to here) was online for over 2 years before I moved from there to where I am now.  Gamed on it every day.  It was my media center, security DVR and NAS as well.  It still is.  And, It got upgraded to 10 and remains the same as much as it can.

if you think XP is stable;  then, props to you I guess.... It was buggy as shit; right up to the end...  I likened it to being a more colorful version of WinME that was capable of staying operational for longer than a day or two at a time without crashes.  I still don't know how they were able to milk it for soooo long.

As far as the OS is concerned when speaking of Microsoft (root system operation and especially the HAL); hands down 10 is light years above XP.  The list goes on...... But I digress...

This topic isn't about how long my pc remains powered on and functioning properly... Nor is it a place to discuss the lack or presence of the future/current support's decision on your choice  for any said OS's. (hardware and software speaking)   You can discuss it on another thread.  We are here to share our findings with the OP to give some insight on what route to choose because he asked us whats more stable,  and a other few questions as well; that showed he did not understand the OS's role in mining among other things.

Let that last sentence sink in.

Link to my batch and script resources here.  

DO NOT TRUST YOBIT  -JK

Donations: 1Q8HjG8wMa3hgmDFbFHC9cADPLpm1xKHQM
QuintLeo
Legendary

Activity: 1498
Merit: 1030

View Profile
September 30, 2017, 07:57:07 PM

In my experience, XP was MORE stable than 10 is - once it got enough service packs under the hood.

Still wasn't anywhere close to 2000 stability, much less NT4 SP6 or NT 3.51 SP5.

For that matter, *7* seems to have turned out eventually to be able to match or SLIGHTLY exceed XP stability - and 10 is nowhere NEAR 7's poor stability level.

Then there was the combination of Windows for Workgroups 3.11 with QEMM 7.54 - which wasn't NT level stability but could argue with 2k and definitely beat 10.

Still waiting on a "how long they have stayed up at a time" mention.

Perfect uptime for a couple months at a time is NOTHING.

Remember, your concept/perception of an uptime's scale is probably not the concept of a new member whom is asking these types of questions as he did.  

Crap;  you have to babysit some antminer S7's... which their system is based on what OS again?  

It comes down to fallibility in the person configuring it and the hardware being used.  Before or during use.
Most miners need maintenance;  inspections, etc.  How many GPU rigs and asics do you have on for an extended period of time over this "many month" figure you speak of?  Does it matter?  Nope.  Its just data.

...longest time without a power failure or rebooting myself is a tad over 6 months in the last years time.  I live in the cuts;  outages are somewhat regular depending on season.  My old 7 machine (before moving out to here) was online for over 2 years before I moved from there to where I am now.  Gamed on it every day.  It was my media center, security DVR and NAS as well.  It still is.  And, It got upgraded to 10 and remains the same as much as it can.

if you think XP is stable;  then, props to you I guess.... It was buggy as shit; right up to the end...  I likened it to being a more colorful version of WinME that was capable of staying operational for longer than a day or two at a time without crashes.  I still don't know how they were able to milk it for soooo long.

As far as the OS is concerned when speaking of Microsoft (root system operation and especially the HAL); hands down 10 is light years above XP.  The list goes on...... But I digress...

This topic isn't about how long my pc remains powered on and functioning properly... Nor is it a place to discuss the lack or presence of the future/current support's decision on your choice  for any said OS's. (hardware and software speaking)   You can discuss it on another thread.  We are here to share our findings with the OP to give some insight on what route to choose because he asked us whats more stable,  and a other few questions as well; that showed he did not understand the OS's role in mining among other things.

Let that last sentence sink in.

You have to babysit S7 miners due to the HARDWARE having low reliability and high error rates.
 That's NOT an OS issue.
 Same thing on the S9, but it appears to have even WORSE reliability at the hardware level given how many hashboards flat out DIE on them.
 Compare to the S5 that WAS a lot more stable and reliable because the HARDWARE had a much higher reliability factor and a lower hardware error rate per hash done.
 Ditto the Spondoolies SP20, or the Innosilicon A2, for other even better known "keeps working for a long time without issues" ASIC that happen to run a LINUX version on their controller.

I didn't say I think XP is stable - I don't consider ANY Windows version to be stable.
 M$ didn't WANT to "milk XP" - they LOST money due to how long it lasted since UPGRADE sales were very low prior to 7 - but people stayed on XP because the alternatives were even WORSE prior to 7, and in many respects 7 was not as good (though it WAS better than "XP64" by a ton which is probably WHY 7 caught on where Vista failed miserably).

Powered on and functioning properly IS at least part of the definition of "stable" for an OS.
 It's not the fault of the OS if the power goes out - but if the power is there it IS the job of the OS to function properly.

And as YOU YOURSELF said in "that last sentence", "because he asked us what's more stable".

Perhaps you should try reading your own words?

I'm no longer legendary just in my own mind!
Like something I said? Donations gratefully accepted. LYLnTKvLefz9izJFUvEGQEZzSkz34b3N6U (Litecoin)
1GYbjMTPdCuV7dci3iCUiaRrcNuaiQrVYY (Bitcoin)
JaredKaragen
Legendary

Activity: 1848
Merit: 1165

My AR-15 ID's itself as a toaster. Want breakfast?

View Profile WWW
September 30, 2017, 10:18:53 PM

still; you "consider" your opinion to be higher than any else.   No more to be said.  Look at the bigger picture;  not a facet.

Link to my batch and script resources here.  

DO NOT TRUST YOBIT  -JK

Donations: 1Q8HjG8wMa3hgmDFbFHC9cADPLpm1xKHQM
QuintLeo
Legendary

Activity: 1498
Merit: 1030

View Profile
October 01, 2017, 11:32:59 PM

still; you "consider" your opinion to be higher than any else.   No more to be said.  Look at the bigger picture;  not a facet.

My opinion is based on one heck of a lot of related experience working with a very wide range of hardware over decades of both professional AND personal experience.

It's also a very widely held opinion by the large majority of folks I have EVER discussed the subject with or seen postings from.

Have you ever considered why the majority of the World Wide Web and pretty much ALL of the backbone for it runs on LINUX, Unix or Cisco's old internaly-developed OS, NOT on Windows, despite massive Microsoft BILLIONS of marketing to change that and the much easier ability to find programmers for Windows?

Here's a clue - it's the RELIABILITY, STABILITY, and PERFORMANCE (adherence to standards used to be a major issue as well, but Microsoft HAS cleaned up it's act for the most part there by lack of choice) - and this is WIDELY DOCUMENTED.

I'm no longer legendary just in my own mind!
Like something I said? Donations gratefully accepted. LYLnTKvLefz9izJFUvEGQEZzSkz34b3N6U (Litecoin)
1GYbjMTPdCuV7dci3iCUiaRrcNuaiQrVYY (Bitcoin)
puwaha

Activity: 700
Merit: 294

View Profile
October 02, 2017, 03:22:41 AM

QuintLeo,

I respect your opinions on many things, but your OS stability rants are bordering on fanatical.  When Linux is used as a server OS, it's very stable... but so is Windows Server OS.  Millions of enterprise Windows Server OS installations are there for a reason... market momentum.  Internet services run on Linux and other Unix variants because they were the first to develop the standards and tools that brought the internet to life... once again market momentum.  Linux is slowly gaining market share in the general purpose server OS realm as more experience with the systems and tools are brought into the workforce.  Just like the old adage "no one ever got fired for buying IBM"... no IT manager or director will ever get fired for buying Windows Server OS.  Why?  Because it has great support and stability.

The consumer level versions of Windows contain tons of built in features and automation that can cause stability issues, but bleeding edge consumer level linux OS can also have stability issues.

I've never had a windows mining rig blue screen or "crash".  99% of the time, its the mining software itself that is unstable, or causes a driver exception... or a hardware issue like a riser card or GPU fault.
Pages: « 1 [2]  All
  Print  

Jump to: