Bitcoin Forum
April 26, 2024, 11:21:48 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 2 [3] 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 »
  Print  
Author Topic: [ANN][UFR][ICO] Upfiring | Incentivized P2P File-Sharing  (Read 38717 times)
okspam

Activity: 392
Merit: 10

View Profile
October 08, 2017, 09:04:56 PM

What does the name come from?

I've been trying to solve this puzzle without success. Consider helping.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
"Your bitcoin is secured in a way that is physically impossible for others to access, no matter for what reason, no matter how good the excuse, no matter a majority of miners, no matter what." -- Greg Maxwell
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
CoinFarmer (OP)

Activity: 205

Upfiring Team Member

View Profile WWW
October 09, 2017, 04:44:39 AM

I think it was a no brainer that someone goes for decentralized file sharing, but there is likely other projects trying to do this to or not? Apart from that, your success over time probably depends a lot on Ethereum's success over time in terms of scaling correct?

There are currently no other projects trying to do this right now, we are unique  Smiley. In terms of scaling, we're not too concerned that the Ethereum devs will take care of it. Token transactions can be completed very quickly even right now with all the projects out there.
CoinFarmer (OP)

Upfiring Team Member

View Profile WWW
October 09, 2017, 04:46:57 AM

Will you modify the BitTorrent protocol in order to make this work? Or you'll be starting with a cryptocurrency base?

It is essentially a modified BitTorrent protocol. You'll be able to take a file (.mp3, .mp4, .pdf, .dmg, etc) and turn it into an Upfiring torrent that can only be used within the app itself. This ensures that BitTorrent users can't just download the file for free outside the app, and that seeders are appropriately compensated.
CoinFarmer (OP)

Upfiring Team Member

View Profile WWW
October 09, 2017, 04:55:19 AM

What does the name come from?

I've been trying to solve this puzzle without success. Consider helping.

We originally decided on the name "Upfiling" since the app deals with file-sharing, but changed it at the last minute. We eventually unanimously agreed that we liked the ring of "Upfiring" better even though its less direct, and so we just went with it.
okspam

Activity: 392

View Profile
October 09, 2017, 05:47:24 AM

Can you please post a comparison between this and Decent? I prefer your project, but I want to see your take as well.
bananafana

Activity: 378
Merit: 100

View Profile
October 09, 2017, 06:40:15 AM

So does it recruit the blockchain's data decompression/compression processes in order to exchange and distribute data resiliently and quickly?

Huh
Jimmi Andersen

Activity: 176

View Profile
October 09, 2017, 09:44:29 AM

What if the ISP simply bans IPs of seeders? I listened to this podcast episode recently that explained how a decentralized exchange would need a decentralized internet first. Is the same case true for this one?

Is this really an issue? Seems /r/conspiracy to me.
It probably isn't for most people. What I wrote above is the larger issues. I'm not quick to say this because I don't like fud but this really looks like a scam. I hope that I'm wrong and if I am I will probably use the platform.

I don't know... seems fine to me... let's see what they answer to some of the questions from this thread. You in particular had some really good ones.
IF they answer.
It looks like they will just ignore critical questions. It doesn't make sense to take a picture of a barchart put on some moving averages and then call that tokens earned and pretend like it's a picture from a developed platform, but that's what they have done in the so called sneak preview. That's shady as fuck. Makes me wonder if they have even developed anything. Another reason to stay away from this ICO is that bittorrent works. No reason to fix something that isn't broken.

MyCryptoBank  ――  Legal and Reliable Crypto Bank
Whitepaper  ――  CRYPTOBANK FOR CRYPTOCOMMUNITY  ――  Announce
―― Medium ―― YouTube ―― LinkedIn ―― Telegram ―― Facebook ―― Twitter ――
CoinFarmer (OP)

Upfiring Team Member

View Profile WWW
October 10, 2017, 02:59:24 AM

What if the ISP simply bans IPs of seeders? I listened to this podcast episode recently that explained how a decentralized exchange would need a decentralized internet first. Is the same case true for this one?

Is this really an issue? Seems /r/conspiracy to me.
It probably isn't for most people. What I wrote above is the larger issues. I'm not quick to say this because I don't like fud but this really looks like a scam. I hope that I'm wrong and if I am I will probably use the platform.

I don't know... seems fine to me... let's see what they answer to some of the questions from this thread. You in particular had some really good ones.
IF they answer.
It looks like they will just ignore critical questions. It doesn't make sense to take a picture of a barchart put on some moving averages and then call that tokens earned and pretend like it's a picture from a developed platform, but that's what they have done in the so called sneak preview. That's shady as fuck. Makes me wonder if they have even developed anything. Another reason to stay away from this ICO is that bittorrent works. No reason to fix something that isn't broken.

The UI/UX portion of the app is still in a primitive stage. We're developing the app logic, Solidity contracts, and P2P functionality before we really focus on making the UI look nice. Yes, the barchart image is just a placeholder for now - the full token earnings page is actually much more detailed than that with a lot more information.

On the bittorrent matter - the seeding process should be incentivized. Finding seeders on platforms like bittorrent or SoulSeekQT is pretty difficult if the torrent is not massively popular, because people don't have any reason to seed files if they get nothing in return. Upfiring is changing that. We expect that this will draw users to seed files on our platform over platforms, resulting in more file availability, more peers and faster download speeds.
CoinFarmer (OP)

Upfiring Team Member

View Profile WWW
October 10, 2017, 03:02:03 AM

Can you please post a comparison between this and Decent? I prefer your project, but I want to see your take as well.

Decent is a good project, but there are a few key differences:

Upfiring strictly focuses on file-sharing. The app allows files to move freely between 2 or more peers - and the solidity smart contracts, which manage the token, distribute UFR tokens when appropriate. Users of our platform earn tokens when others download their files.

DECENT is a protocol for applications and publishing of content. Decent itself doesn't do anything as an application - it simply allows others to build apps on top of it. It functions similarly to an Ethereum/Solidity development framework. It is a solid project in and of itself, but definitely different than Upfiring.
bananafana

Activity: 378

View Profile
October 10, 2017, 08:21:15 AM

On the bittorrent matter - the seeding process should be incentivized. Finding seeders on platforms like bittorrent or SoulSeekQT is pretty difficult if the torrent is not massively popular, because people don't have any reason to seed files if they get nothing in return. Upfiring is changing that. We expect that this will draw users to seed files on our platform over platforms, resulting in more file availability, more peers and faster download speeds.

Anyone who has used torrents could agree to this.
Jimmi Andersen

Activity: 176

View Profile
October 10, 2017, 08:57:04 AM

Do people decide which files they are seeding or will it be random so that I for example am seeding some file without knowing what kind of content it is? Or would I only be seeding files that I have downloaded or decided to share with the network?

MyCryptoBank  ――  Legal and Reliable Crypto Bank
Whitepaper  ――  CRYPTOBANK FOR CRYPTOCOMMUNITY  ――  Announce
―― Medium ―― YouTube ―― LinkedIn ―― Telegram ―― Facebook ―― Twitter ――
Hariz

Activity: 115

View Profile
October 10, 2017, 01:49:25 PM

What is your view around piracy and copyright infringement?
Considering there is money involved, I see potential risk unless the system has a way to tackle it.

┨▪ ▪ ▪❒ SEND ❒▪ ▪ ▪┠
A token designed for massive adoption
                          ╌┨Whitepaper┠╌
╔═══════╗  ╔═══════╗  ╔═══════╗  ╔═══════╗  ╔═══════╗
Website       Facebook       Twitter        Telegram       LinkedIn
╚═══════╝  ╚═══════╝  ╚═══════╝  ╚═══════╝  ╚═══════╝
BLACKCOIN883

Activity: 271
Merit: 250

View Profile
October 10, 2017, 05:16:24 PM

How confident are you that you can follow that roadmap?
CoinFarmer (OP)

Upfiring Team Member

View Profile WWW
October 11, 2017, 02:26:21 AM

Very confident. We are on track and fully expect to have the alpha/beta versions of the app released this year into the new year, with the official release planned for early-mid next year.
CoinFarmer (OP)

Upfiring Team Member

View Profile WWW
October 11, 2017, 02:29:34 AM

What is your view around piracy and copyright infringement?
Considering there is money involved, I see potential risk unless the system has a way to tackle it.

We don't support it but we are only the client/protocol - therefore, we don't control what people will share. Any 2 peers can share any files and exchange UFR via the built-in smart contracts.

There will be ways for the community and UFR holders to regulate some of the content in case any inappropriate or copyrighted material is seeded. Some of the details of how this will work can be found in the Whitepaper.
CoinFarmer (OP)

Upfiring Team Member

View Profile WWW
October 11, 2017, 02:32:21 AM

Do people decide which files they are seeding or will it be random so that I for example am seeding some file without knowing what kind of content it is? Or would I only be seeding files that I have downloaded or decided to share with the network?

The user chooses exactly which files they want to seed, and can change this at any time. You can download a file and seed it on the network immediately to get a portion of the UFR when that file is downloaded, or upload your own unique files.
CoinFarmer (OP)

Upfiring Team Member

View Profile WWW
October 11, 2017, 04:28:13 AM

Anyone who has used torrents could agree to this.

Yes, we think it will naturally draw users to use our app over time vs. the big players like uTorrent.
celestio

Activity: 770

View Profile
October 11, 2017, 07:47:26 AM

You've definitely picked up in speed at answering question. Good community management.

Please try stealing a developer from qBittorrent or uTorrent because they have such amazing interfaces.

"The nature of Bitcoin is such that once version 0.1 was released, the core design was set in stone for the rest of its lifetime" - Satoshi Nakamoto, June 17, 2010
BuyingFast

Activity: 230
Merit: 101

View Profile
October 11, 2017, 09:45:16 AM

I'd actually say the interface of those is too complicated for the average user. I like it more as it is in their "How will Upfiring work?" screenshot.
BLACKCOIN883

Activity: 271

View Profile
October 11, 2017, 04:09:27 PM

Very confident. We are on track and fully expect to have the alpha/beta versions of the app released this year into the new year, with the official release planned for early-mid next year.

That sounds very promising. File sharing is still woefully behind the times in my opinion. I hope to see some innovation with technology like you're attempting to harness.
Pages: « 1 2 [3] 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 »
  Print  

Jump to: