Bitcoin Forum
May 24, 2024, 12:25:39 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 2 3 [4]  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Will bitcoins become illegal?  (Read 5627 times)
gweedo
Legendary

Activity: 1498
Merit: 1000

View Profile
June 15, 2013, 11:09:39 PM

The key to keeping bitcoins legal, is to work with governments and respect their regulations. As I have stated many times before just cause we have the power to not pay taxes, or not follow regulations, doesn't mean we should. We should only execute that power in critical situations. Currently working with the government to help them understand what and how bitcoin works, is the best thing we can do.
flavius

Activity: 154
Merit: 100

welcome to riches

View Profile
June 15, 2013, 11:12:23 PM

The key to keeping bitcoins legal, is to work with governments and respect their regulations. As I have stated many times before just cause we have the power to not pay taxes, or not follow regulations, doesn't mean we should. We should only execute that power in critical situations. Currently working with the government to help them understand what and how bitcoin works, is the best thing we can do.

you couldnt pay taxes on bitcoins even if you wanted to. i have 495349 coins in my wallet, what address do I send my 30% to pay for taxes?

crime generates tenfold more money then real businesses do in bitcoin. the fact you cant accept this just makes you a kike

A reply of yours, quoted below, was deleted by the starter of a self-moderated topic. There are no rules of self-moderation, so this deletion cannot be appealed. Do not continue posting in this topic if the topic-starter has requested that you leave.

You can create a new topic if you are unsatisfied with this one. If the topic-starter is scamming, post about it in Scam Accusations.
gweedo
Legendary

View Profile
June 15, 2013, 11:16:57 PM

you couldnt pay taxes on bitcoins even if you wanted to. i have 495349 coins in my wallet, what address do I send my 30% to pay for taxes?

I was talking about when you convert to dollars or any fiat currency, you should be paying taxes on the gains. But if you own a business you should be doing your books as if you were getting dollars, and paying taxes on your income. Currently for me my only income is bitcoins yet I still pay my taxes on those coins.
StarfishPrime

Activity: 358
Merit: 250

View Profile
June 15, 2013, 11:18:15 PM

Until you convert them into USD or some other tangible asset, they're not considered any more taxable than a pile of chuck-e-cheese tokens would be - unless of course you received them in exchange for some kind of goods or service, then they would be income at whatever the rate was when you accepted them.

¦                     
  ¦    ¦¦¦               
¦¦  ¦¦¦¦                 
                             ¦¦  ¦¦¦¦
                          ¦ ¦¦ ¦¦¦¦                     
                         ¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦
                        ¦¦¦¦¦¦¦
                        ¦¦¦¦¦¦
                  ¦¦¦  ¦¦¦¦¦¦
                   ¦ ¦¦¦¦¦¦

¦¦  ¦ ¦¦¦¦
                    ¦¦    ¦¦¦¦
                    ¦¦  ¦ ¦¦¦¦
                   ¦¦¦  ¦ ¦¦¦¦¦
                ¦¦¦¦    ¦ ¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦
             ¦¦¦¦¦    ¦ ¦¦ ¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦
          ¦¦¦¦¦       ¦  ¦   ¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦
        ¦¦¦¦         ¦        ¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦
     ¦¦¦¦          ¦      ¦    ¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦
    ¦¦¦         ¦¦         ¦   ¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦
   ¦¦        ¦¦         ¦¦  ¦   ¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦
  ¦¦       ¦          ¦ ¦¦   ¦  ¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦
 ¦¦¦     ¦¦          ¦   ¦    ¦  ¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦
¦¦¦     ¦          ¦      ¦   ¦¦ ¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦
¦¦¦    ¦        ¦¦         ¦¦  ¦ ¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦
¦¦¦   ¦¦     ¦¦         ¦   ¦  ¦ ¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦
¦¦¦   ¦     ¦¦         ¦¦¦   ¦ ¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦
 ¦¦   ¦¦    ¦        ¦    ¦  ¦ ¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦
 ¦¦    ¦   ¦        ¦¦    ¦  ¦ ¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦
  ¦¦    ¦  ¦¦       ¦     ¦  ¦ ¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦
   ¦¦    ¦  ¦      ¦      ¦  ¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦
    ¦¦¦   ¦ ¦¦     ¦¦     ¦  ¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦
     ¦¦¦   ¦ ¦¦     ¦¦    ¦ ¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦
       ¦¦¦¦  ¦ ¦¦    ¦  ¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦
          ¦¦¦¦¦¦  ¦¦  ¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦
             ¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦
                        ¦¦

TorCoin.....
¦
¦
¦
¦
  Fully Anonymous TOR-integrated Crypto
               ¦ Windows     ¦ Linux     ¦ GitHub     ¦ macOS
     ¦
     ¦
     ¦
     ¦
   ANN THREAD
     ¦
     ¦
     ¦
     ¦
[/center]
veteranBtc

Activity: 126

View Profile
June 15, 2013, 11:21:52 PM

Bitcoins become nonexistent when everyone unplugs all the computers
That's why we love bitcoins!

flavius

welcome to riches

View Profile
June 15, 2013, 11:27:20 PM

Until you convert them into USD or some other tangible asset, they're not considered any more taxable
and that's the beauty in them
legal money laundering

regardless all my coins are cashed out anonymously, as should anyones

crime generates tenfold more money then real businesses do in bitcoin. the fact you cant accept this just makes you a kike

A reply of yours, quoted below, was deleted by the starter of a self-moderated topic. There are no rules of self-moderation, so this deletion cannot be appealed. Do not continue posting in this topic if the topic-starter has requested that you leave.

You can create a new topic if you are unsatisfied with this one. If the topic-starter is scamming, post about it in Scam Accusations.
gweedo
Legendary

View Profile
June 15, 2013, 11:28:50 PM

Until you convert them into USD or some other tangible asset, they're not considered any more taxable
legal money laundering

You completely wrong, money laundering is illegal, and people that use bitcoin as such are just going to hurt what the other community members are working so hard for. So while I am not going to say not to do that, I am just going to say think about the community and not yourself.
flavius

welcome to riches

View Profile
June 15, 2013, 11:32:21 PM

legal money laundering

You completely wrong, money laundering is illegal, and people that use bitcoin as such are just going to hurt what the other community members are working so hard for. So while I am not going to say not to do that, I am just going to say think about the community and not yourself.
"money" laundering is illegal yes, but bitcoin is not money.

considering 99% of the bitcoin community does not pay taxes on their coins, i think your point of view, while not laughable, is not going to go a long ways

there is really no reason to try and legitimize bitcoins with government. you can't create a secondary currency where tax and business laws are a gray area and make the government happy with their existence. it will piss them off no matter what you do, just go about your business and be grateful for this tax free heaven that exists in 2013

gweedo
Legendary

View Profile
June 15, 2013, 11:40:57 PM

legal money laundering

considering 99% of the bitcoin community does not pay taxes on their coins, i think your point of view, while not laughable, is not going to go a long ways

there is really no reason to try and legitimize bitcoins with government. you can't create a secondary currency where tax and business laws are a gray area and make the government happy with their existence. it will piss them off no matter what you do, just go about your business and be grateful for this tax free heaven that exists in 2013

well now your looking at it as one section of the community. I agree the users that don't own a business or don't make an income in bitcoins. It is ok not to pay taxes on them, until you convert it to your fiat currency, which is called the capital gains  tax. When your a business owner and your income is only bitcoins, I could easily say I made $0 which would be true, but I don't. I hope people don't treat bitcoins as an offshore account or as you put as a tax free heaven. Stuff like this makes it harder to put money into bitcoins which is important right now. Bitinstant could easily say they don't want to pay for the licensing but they do cause in the overall benefits the community. That is all I am saying is lets think like a community and not an individual. Of course you do what you want, but it just hurts people like me running and starting up business. Believe me I look and see my taxes going out it doesn't make me happy. But in my mind I say this is what is needed for the community currently. Also where did you get the number 99% don't pay taxes, cause a lot of legitimate business owners do. I would almost bet every single user of bitpay conversation tool from BTC to USD pay taxes. That is a lot of people.
CompNsci

Activity: 332
Merit: 253

View Profile
June 15, 2013, 11:41:10 PM

Likely depends on the jurisdiction. In the U.S., I doubt they will ever be outright illegal. Exchanging them for fiat, OTOH...
PerfectAgent

Activity: 252

Still the Best 1973

View Profile
June 15, 2013, 11:45:31 PM

legal money laundering

The government will never be happy with a currency they cannot directly control. Even if people attempt to placate them with tax payments, they can't directly control the money supply and it's pseudonymous, they will never like that.

░▒▓█ Coinroll.it - 1% House Edge Dice Game █▓▒░ • Coinroll Thread • *FREE* 100 BTC Raffle
BTC Address: 14qkEkmoWQbgF4EMB6F5m8p3LU1D8UK32D ||||||||||| NMC Address: N8xv7xXnLnRgSvQCRK9vwndsH2HBAifs3C
flavius

welcome to riches

View Profile
June 15, 2013, 11:52:32 PM

legal money laundering

well now your looking at it as one section of the community. I agree the users that don't own a business or don't make an income in bitcoins. It is ok not to pay taxes on them, until you convert it to your fiat currency, which is called the capital gains  tax. When your a business owner and your income is only bitcoins, I could easily say I made $0 which would be true, but I don't. I hope people don't treat bitcoins as an offshore account or as you put as a tax free heaven. Stuff like this makes it harder to put money into bitcoins which is important right now. Bitinstant could easily say they don't want to pay for the licensing but they do cause in the overall benefits the community. That is all I am saying is lets think like a community and not an individual. Of course you do what you want, but it just hurts people like me running and starting up business. Believe me I look and see my taxes going out it doesn't make me happy. But in my mind I say this is what is needed for the community currently. Also where did you get the number 99% don't pay taxes, cause a lot of legitimate business owners do. I would almost bet every single user of bitpay conversation tool from BTC to USD pay taxes. That is a lot of people.

when you run a gigantic exchange like mtgox or bitinstant then yes you should probably legitimize your business, but i somehow doubt you are grossing as much as they are. in the "fortune 500" companies of bitcoin you would ideally want those to be legal businesses that pay taxes, but your definition of a business is too formal. you can open an anonymously hosted website on tor (or not) and open anonymous bank accounts and funding sources to turn your btc into cash. it's the same thing as your "real business" you run now, but you make 20% more money because you don't pay taxes, plus you cannot be shut down regardless of how big you get. if you had the influence that a gigantic exchange does then yes you give BTC more of a bad name (but giving it a bad name is not necessarily a bad thing).

just look at silk road. their profits are estimated to be in the tens of millions annually, and the website has only done positive things for bitcoin. once you get past the initial shock that a massive drug trading website exists, like out of a fairy tale, you realize it has probably done more for bitcoin then bitinstant ever has.

you really dont need to cater to the legitimate side of things my man. the government can do whatever they want and their opinion on the matter is irrelevant. they cannot shut down bitcoin, they cannot shut down your business if configured properly, and there is hardly a reason to pay taxes on any of this.

there will never be a day in which you can go into a walmart and pay with bitcoin, this I guarantee you. 

flavius

welcome to riches

View Profile
June 15, 2013, 11:53:31 PM

legal money laundering

The government will never be happy with a currency they cannot directly control. Even if people attempt to placate them with tax payments, they can't directly control the money supply and it's pseudonymous, they will never like that.

this is the exact point i was trying to make. because they will never like it, it's useless to try and make them like it (aka paying taxes, following regulation).

Jaxkr

Activity: 420

View Profile
June 16, 2013, 06:48:48 AM

Yes

If Bitcoin became illegal, nothing would change, aside from a lot of media exposure, and you know what they say: any publicity is good publicity.

And a lot more Tor using
A girl knowing Tor? That's too much for me, you're definitely a guy a his basement
Definitely. The Hidden Wiki clearly states this. http://3suaolltfj2xjksb.onion/hiddenwiki/index.php?title=Girls
 Tongue
phillipsjk
Legendary

Activity: 1008
Merit: 1001

Let the chips fall where they may.

View Profile WWW
June 16, 2013, 08:02:25 AM

I'm not sure what they can make illegal.
The word 'bitcoin' is just a made up word, so that won't work.
The rest is just mathematics - I don't know if there is a precedent on illegal mathematics.

I'll just leave this here: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Illegal_number

James' OpenPGP public key fingerprint: EB14 9E5B F80C 1F2D 3EBE  0A2F B3DE 81FF 7B9D 5160
Pages: « 1 2 3 [4]  All
  Print  

Jump to: