Bitcoin Forum
June 21, 2024, 10:46:50 PM *
News: Voting for pizza day contest

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 2 [3] 4 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Will bitcoins become illegal?  (Read 5627 times)
Vexual

Activity: 196
Merit: 100

View Profile
June 02, 2013, 10:03:35 AM
Last edit: June 02, 2013, 10:18:00 AM by Vexual

What response? lol
Those think tanks are probably working on a time machine to go back and take out Clinton
Freeze the bank accounts of exchanges?
This only serves to move exchanges out of government reach, while at the same time proving that dollars in banks aren't really yours.

1VEX7x76pJdreV1nJW8bXpotbCNggDxG5
cheesylard

Activity: 104
Merit: 10

View Profile WWW
June 02, 2013, 01:19:05 PM

Yay or Nay?
I hope it will become illegal. That would only verify its legitimacy.
Chaoskampf

Activity: 182

order in numbers

View Profile
June 02, 2013, 01:25:41 PM

... As far as I can tell, we're quickly spiraling towards a full-on, internationally organized, government assault on the network itself. I think this will take the form of Internet regulation.

I'm afraid I have to concur.  I sense that 'the powers that be' are holding back and getting their ducks in a row at this point, but that all large countries, at least, have more to fear from their own populations than they do from one another.  I imagine that what happened to Mubarak did not go past most of the world's leaders and they have no plans to allow such a thing to happen to themselves.

The media corporations are the main ones chomping at the bit and have jumped the gun slightly to give us a taste of what's in store.  It's not pretty, and I'll bet that 'we ain't seen nothin yet.'

Just as developers are hard at work designing p2p exchange protocols, they should also be working on truly p2p internets. I know of a few projects that are already in the works (Meshnet, among others). I haven't researched the nitty gritty of these Internet protocols, but knowing that there are skilled developers at work on this issue gives me hope. Maybe we can avoid Orwell's foreboding boot from crushing humanity's face for the rest of history...or maybe not

I'm afraid that I don't have as much hope for Meshnet and the like as I wish I did.  It's a huge technical challenge in the best of circumstances, and to get it to work with anything resembling reliability and performance in the face of almost any resistance (like hunting down nodes (which are, after all, beacons)) will be a monumental challenge.

I think it likely that in order to enjoy free communications we'll have to go through a period of slipping through various narrow cracks, but eventually we'll win and things will open back up again.  It well could be the case that Meshnet and such things will be exceedingly valuable in that phase.

That's quite a dystopian future you envision!

Ya.  I've always been prone to try to anticipate the worst and try to figure out a strategy for it.  Most of the time the worst never materializes, and that's fantastic!  Sometimes my choices to prepare for the worst end up costing me, but on balance they have not.

In this case, my fears for the future are in some sense a memory/study/observation of the past.  I remember back to the struggles around availability of 'military grade' cryptography from back when the Internet fist became available to me in the mid 90's.  It was not at all clear that 'we' were going to win and there was much talk around escrowed backdoors and such.  I think the main reason we won is that there was a recognition that seeing who communicated with who was actually more critical than knowing what they said.  And we also won because of people like Hal Finney...and possibly because of Hal Finney.

I also think that fucking with anyone's monetary system is on par with an act of war (whether the transgressors fully recognize their transgressions or not...)  If distributed crypto-currencies end up having a noticeable impact on mainstream monetary systems, and if they cannot be brought under control, I do expect a pretty significant response.

Unfortunately, history has more depressing information to convey than encouraging. I really hope this can be a divergence from this trend, but I don't want to be unrealistic about the state of affairs. This is not a trivial matter we're talking about.
bitwhizz
Legendary

Activity: 910
Merit: 1000

View Profile
June 02, 2013, 01:30:14 PM

true
Micky25
Legendary

Activity: 974
Merit: 1000

View Profile
June 02, 2013, 02:42:40 PM

Will it be become illegal? Maybe.
Will they be able to enforce? No.

Will it have any use or value then? Probably not.
MysteryMiner
Legendary

Activity: 1498
Merit: 1042

Death to enemies!

View Profile
June 02, 2013, 03:55:21 PM

Will it be become illegal? Maybe.
Will they be able to enforce? No.

Will it have any use or value then? Probably not.
Cocaine is illegal. It costs over 100$ per gram.

bc1q59y5jp2rrwgxuekc8kjk6s8k2es73uawprre4j
vitalemontea

Activity: 336
Merit: 250

View Profile
June 02, 2013, 04:02:09 PM

A girl knowing Tor? That's too much for me, you're definitely a guy a his basement
Girls do drugs too you know
UniversalTrek

Activity: 28
Merit: 0

View Profile
June 02, 2013, 04:07:07 PM

Nay, there are always ways around it anyway Wink
jackjack
Legendary

Activity: 1176
Merit: 1255

May Bitcoin be touched by his Noodly Appendage

View Profile
June 02, 2013, 04:18:30 PM

A girl knowing Tor? That's too much for me, you're definitely a guy a his basement
Nope
They don't poop either

Own address: 19QkqAza7BHFTuoz9N8UQkryP4E9jHo4N3 - Pywallet support: 1AQDfx22pKGgXnUZFL1e4UKos3QqvRzNh5 - Bitcointalk++ script support: 1Pxeccscj1ygseTdSV1qUqQCanp2B2NMM2
Pywallet: instructions. Encrypted wallet support, export/import keys/addresses, backup wallets, export/import CSV data from/into wallet, merge wallets, delete/import addresses and transactions, recover altcoins sent to bitcoin addresses, sign/verify messages and files with Bitcoin addresses, recover deleted wallets, etc.
MysteryMiner
Legendary

Activity: 1498
Merit: 1042

Death to enemies!

View Profile
June 02, 2013, 04:38:30 PM

Nope
They don't poop either
No, they poop when they do drugs. I can post a picture of proof here but it will get deleted in no time.

bc1q59y5jp2rrwgxuekc8kjk6s8k2es73uawprre4j
QuestionAuthority
Legendary

Activity: 2156
Merit: 1393

You lead and I'll watch you walk away.

View Profile
June 02, 2013, 04:52:48 PM

Everyone likes to talk about what Bitcoin is and are always trying to describe it. It seems to me that Bitcoin has become a concept more than anything else. It has become a platform for many people worldwide to vent their frustration over the status quo. It represents change and to most people, if your life is ok now, change is bad. If they don't feel the effects of the problem they don't care. Unfortunately for all the people burying their head in the sand, the world is going to change anyway. The last recession created homeless families that never before experienced suffering because of massive numbers of forclosures. Entire classes of people were shifted down in relative worth around the world because of the greedy system.

In all the forums discussing cryptocurrency that I've read there seems to be a common theme. On one side is a group of people angry with their government that want Bitcoin to change the things they hate about the system that controls them. On the other side are those that like the system so they bash Bitcoin and anything that might help change the system. The people who want change are now many (thanks to world wide financial mismanagement) and can't be stopped simply because one government or another decides to make some aspect of Bitcoin illegal. Even if Bitcoin ceases to exist these people will still hate their situation and spend their lives trying to change it. No, concepts can't become illegal so Bitcoin the concept will live until the struggle is over.

jackjack
Legendary

Activity: 1176
Merit: 1255

May Bitcoin be touched by his Noodly Appendage

View Profile
June 02, 2013, 04:56:08 PM

Nope
They don't poop either
No, they poop when they do drugs. I can post a picture of proof here but it will get deleted in no time.
Is it a picture with two girls and one cup?
Anyway I'm sure such a pic would fit in off-topic sub-forum

Own address: 19QkqAza7BHFTuoz9N8UQkryP4E9jHo4N3 - Pywallet support: 1AQDfx22pKGgXnUZFL1e4UKos3QqvRzNh5 - Bitcointalk++ script support: 1Pxeccscj1ygseTdSV1qUqQCanp2B2NMM2
Pywallet: instructions. Encrypted wallet support, export/import keys/addresses, backup wallets, export/import CSV data from/into wallet, merge wallets, delete/import addresses and transactions, recover altcoins sent to bitcoin addresses, sign/verify messages and files with Bitcoin addresses, recover deleted wallets, etc.
areebmajeed

Activity: 686
Merit: 500

View Profile
June 13, 2013, 02:49:04 PM

They are already! #NEW WORLD ORDER!
RodeoX
Legendary

Activity: 3066
Merit: 1147

The revolution will be monetized!

View Profile
June 13, 2013, 02:54:46 PM

Who's law? Bitcoin dwarfs the scale of mere countries. If say Botswana makes it illegal it will only hurt their economy in the future.   

The gospel according to Satoshi - https://bitcoin.org/bitcoin.pdf
Free bitcoin in ? - Stay tuned for this years Bitcoin hunt!
tvbcof
Legendary

Activity: 4592
Merit: 1276

View Profile
June 14, 2013, 03:33:45 AM

Everyone likes to talk about what Bitcoin is and are always trying to describe it. It seems to me that Bitcoin has become a concept more than anything else. It has become a platform for many people worldwide to vent their frustration over the status quo. It represents change and to most people, if your life is ok now, change is bad. If they don't feel the effects of the problem they don't care. Unfortunately for all the people burying their head in the sand, the world is going to change anyway. The last recession created homeless families that never before experienced suffering because of massive numbers of forclosures. Entire classes of people were shifted down in relative worth around the world because of the greedy system.

In all the forums discussing cryptocurrency that I've read there seems to be a common theme. On one side is a group of people angry with their government that want Bitcoin to change the things they hate about the system that controls them. On the other side are those that like the system so they bash Bitcoin and anything that might help change the system. The people who want change are now many (thanks to world wide financial mismanagement) and can't be stopped simply because one government or another decides to make some aspect of Bitcoin illegal. Even if Bitcoin ceases to exist these people will still hate their situation and spend their lives trying to change it. No, concepts can't become illegal so Bitcoin the concept will live until the struggle is over.

I'm a bit unusual in that I am kind of in awe of the current system.  Though remarkably opaque and is increasingly abused, it is really something that a system so complex it works so amazingly well even for society as a whole (even while it works much better for the highest tier of course.)   So, although I consider the current monetary systems 'a scam' to a large degree, it is a scam that has wide ranging benefits to many.  In my humble opinion or course.

My interest in Bitcoin are several, but very high among these are my concerns about what lies around the corner.  Our Western monetary systems, and most of the rest of the world's systems which are influenced by them are, I feel, stretched like a huge spring in order to keep the music playing.  When the dam breaks it's going to be a awesome sight.  Distributed crypto-currencies are a very interesting study in alternative systems.  Probably the most important role they are playing (and by 'they' I mean 99% Bitcoin) is that they are proving that viable alternatives have some track record of function.  It will not be possible to claim that SDR's or whatever are the only way forward if/when currency crisis fires are popping up everywhere.

It still may be possible to attempt to damage the function that distributed crypto-currencies posses, and I'll be very surprised if we do not see this attempted with a vengeance, and on a lot of fronts, if/when crises of various types pop up.  Right now attacking Bitcoin would mostly give it an excuse to fail and produce a reasonable argument that absent attack, it could work OK.

sig spam anywhere and self-moderated threads on the pol&soc board are for losers.
QuestionAuthority
Legendary

Activity: 2156
Merit: 1393

You lead and I'll watch you walk away.

View Profile
June 14, 2013, 05:18:48 AM

The complexity that you see and admire I see as a web of deceit spun to lull the population into a position of complacency. I am fairly well off and really want for nothing. I could drive down the street stopping at traffic lights and roll up my window when a homeless person walks by with a sign but instead I give him a few bucks. I wonder how many homeless we could feed with just one less aircraft carrier. I drive from Oakland to San Leandro and see the horrible poverty and wonder why we can't change it. Then I turn on the TV and see reports of the masses of money that my government wastes. I watched WAMU, Wachovia, Merill Lynch, IndyMac and many more go bankrupt from greed and mismanagement. The government makes sweetheart deals with company's like Chase to take over the failed branches, wipes out the mortgage debt, bails out the auto makers all using my wallet. I read about organizations like the CIA that have secret budgets and new agencies like DHS that are set on controlling the masses. All these things add up to a far less than magical system that desperately needs to change. The Occupy Movement is made up of people that see the inequity and mismanagement but they are too few in number to really make a difference. These problems are happening worldwide too.

Bitcoin might not be the solution but it's a place to start. Bitcoin can't feed the homeless but it might be able to take funding away from greedy banks and corrupt governments. I'm sick of my government telling me what to do when they clearly don't know what they're doing. I intend to support Bitcoin as long as it remains a system powered by individuals free from government abuse and control. They're going to attack Bitcoin. What lies around the corner is a very rough road but a survivable one.

RavinTavin (OP)

Activity: 126

RavinTavin from MyFreeCams

View Profile WWW
June 15, 2013, 10:21:48 PM

Bitcoins become nonexistent when everyone unplugs all the computers

True

BTC DonationSee Profile Bellow Online Daily 7pm-1am  Eastern Time Zone. USA, times may vary Wink
http://profiles.myfreecams.com/RavinTavin <--- Click! 18+ Only
cbeast
Donator
Legendary

Activity: 1736
Merit: 1006

Let's talk governance, lipstick, and pigs.

View Profile
June 15, 2013, 10:32:44 PM

Please lead by example.

Any significantly advanced cryptocurrency is indistinguishable from Ponzi Tulips.
StarfishPrime

Activity: 358
Merit: 250

View Profile
June 15, 2013, 11:05:48 PM

Actually, they only become nonexistent when the very last copy of the blockchain is non-recoverably erased from the very last hard drive of the very last bitcoin node. As long as a single copy exists somewhere in the world, the bitcoin network will reconfigure itself automatically as nodes are reconnected. It is as resilient as the internet itself.

Making bitcoins illegal in any given jurisdiction would be about as pointless as making TCP/IP or electrons illegal. Bitcoin just don't care.  

¦                     
  ¦    ¦¦¦               
¦¦  ¦¦¦¦                 
                             ¦¦  ¦¦¦¦
                          ¦ ¦¦ ¦¦¦¦                     
                         ¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦
                        ¦¦¦¦¦¦¦
                        ¦¦¦¦¦¦
                  ¦¦¦  ¦¦¦¦¦¦
                   ¦ ¦¦¦¦¦¦

¦¦  ¦ ¦¦¦¦
                    ¦¦    ¦¦¦¦
                    ¦¦  ¦ ¦¦¦¦
                   ¦¦¦  ¦ ¦¦¦¦¦
                ¦¦¦¦    ¦ ¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦
             ¦¦¦¦¦    ¦ ¦¦ ¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦
          ¦¦¦¦¦       ¦  ¦   ¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦
        ¦¦¦¦         ¦        ¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦
     ¦¦¦¦          ¦      ¦    ¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦
    ¦¦¦         ¦¦         ¦   ¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦
   ¦¦        ¦¦         ¦¦  ¦   ¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦
  ¦¦       ¦          ¦ ¦¦   ¦  ¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦
 ¦¦¦     ¦¦          ¦   ¦    ¦  ¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦
¦¦¦     ¦          ¦      ¦   ¦¦ ¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦
¦¦¦    ¦        ¦¦         ¦¦  ¦ ¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦
¦¦¦   ¦¦     ¦¦         ¦   ¦  ¦ ¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦
¦¦¦   ¦     ¦¦         ¦¦¦   ¦ ¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦
 ¦¦   ¦¦    ¦        ¦    ¦  ¦ ¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦
 ¦¦    ¦   ¦        ¦¦    ¦  ¦ ¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦
  ¦¦    ¦  ¦¦       ¦     ¦  ¦ ¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦
   ¦¦    ¦  ¦      ¦      ¦  ¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦
    ¦¦¦   ¦ ¦¦     ¦¦     ¦  ¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦
     ¦¦¦   ¦ ¦¦     ¦¦    ¦ ¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦
       ¦¦¦¦  ¦ ¦¦    ¦  ¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦
          ¦¦¦¦¦¦  ¦¦  ¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦
             ¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦
                        ¦¦

TorCoin.....
¦
¦
¦
¦
  Fully Anonymous TOR-integrated Crypto
               ¦ Windows     ¦ Linux     ¦ GitHub     ¦ macOS
     ¦
     ¦
     ¦
     ¦
   ANN THREAD
     ¦
     ¦
     ¦
     ¦
[/center]
flavius

Activity: 154

welcome to riches

View Profile
June 15, 2013, 11:06:14 PM

in essence they already are

crime generates tenfold more money then real businesses do in bitcoin. the fact you cant accept this just makes you a kike

A reply of yours, quoted below, was deleted by the starter of a self-moderated topic. There are no rules of self-moderation, so this deletion cannot be appealed. Do not continue posting in this topic if the topic-starter has requested that you leave.

You can create a new topic if you are unsatisfied with this one. If the topic-starter is scamming, post about it in Scam Accusations.
Pages: « 1 2 [3] 4 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: