Bitcoin Forum
May 12, 2024, 01:22:23 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Rewritting code and some ideas...  (Read 537 times)
bnogal (OP)

Activity: 179
Merit: 100

View Profile
June 01, 2013, 01:07:39 PM

Hi.
I just wanted ask for opinion and reasons. I guess everybody applied the rule "if it works dont touch it" but looking at the code, i just hate everything i see (i am working with C++ for 8 years already)
I think it is a real problem in bitcoin/litecoin/ppcoin/***coin and i was thinking about work on it... but before starting i wanna save time asking to the ones were checking the code already.

I think it is possible to take out dependencies of bitcoin and delete millions of globals used on it, clarify and simplify lot of things. Using Qt i think there is no sense to use boost and openssl. If i am wrong or u think it would take too much time, just answer "dont try it". Cleaning the app of SHIT would make lot easier to port it to android/iphone, now that Qt is going to work there (it is already)

I just know any static code analyzer would say the whole program is a shit, and all these is just making too complicated something should be easy. All this is because i want to make an experiment adding a learning algorithm to decide reward/difficult/fee
using as input:
reward
difficult
fee
time from last found block
nº transactions
selectable vote applied to transactions/mining so people can decide how happy they are.

And try to maximize this last parameter.

Other idea i didnt see.... but i am quite sure it exists already (or should), is a way to print notes that can be charged to a wallet using the mobile.

thx for your time.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
According to NIST and ECRYPT II, the cryptographic algorithms used in Bitcoin are expected to be strong until at least 2030. (After that, it will not be too difficult to transition to different algorithms.)
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.
Joerii
Legendary

Activity: 1274
Merit: 1050

View Profile WWW
June 01, 2013, 01:09:55 PM

Hi.
I just wanted ask for opinion and reasons. I guess everybody applied the rule "if it works dont touch it" but looking at the code, i just hate everything i see (i am working with C++ for 8 years already)
I think it is a real problem in bitcoin/litecoin/ppcoin/***coin and i was thinking about work on it... but before starting i wanna save time asking to the ones were checking the code already.

I think it is possible to take out dependencies of bitcoin and delete millions of globals used on it, clarify and simplify lot of things. Using Qt i think there is no sense to use boost and openssl. If i am wrong or u think it would take too much time, just answer "dont try it". Cleaning the app of SHIT would make lot easier to port it to android/iphone, now that Qt is going to work there (it is already)

I just know any static code analyzer would say the whole program is a shit, and all these is just making too complicated something should be easy. All this is because i want to make an experiment adding a learning algorithm to decide reward/difficult/fee
using as input:
reward
difficult
fee
time from last found block
nº transactions
selectable vote applied to transactions/mining so people can decide how happy they are.

And try to maximize this last parameter.

Other idea i didnt see.... but i am quite sure it exists already (or should), is a way to print notes that can be charged to a wallet using the mobile.

thx for your time.

Are you asking : "Should I optimise the code to make porting easier ?"

Who would say no to that Smiley

Hypercube - get the attention you deserve
sor.rge

Activity: 42
Merit: 0

View Profile
June 01, 2013, 01:37:40 PM

There are some alternative bitcoin clients, you may want to take a look.
galambo

Activity: 966
Merit: 311

View Profile
June 01, 2013, 02:27:54 PM

I don't know about your project idea of selecting all those variables for perceived happiness but if you want a refactored version of bitcoin there is "libcoin"

https://github.com/libcoin/libcoin
bnogal (OP)

Activity: 179
Merit: 100

View Profile
June 01, 2013, 03:08:19 PM

I don't know about your project idea of selecting all those variables for perceived happiness but if you want a refactored version of bitcoin there is "libcoin"

https://github.com/libcoin/libcoin

Nice, this is just what i wanted Smiley Seems that is well documented and well structured. I would just take out "Berkeley DB, Boost and OpenSSL" and put Qt. But having it clean it is not a problem anymore Smiley
You saved my holidays and a reinvented wheel. Thx

kaputt

Activity: 70
Merit: 10

View Profile
June 03, 2013, 04:08:19 PM

I am normally the "If it ain't broke, don't fix it" type, but I do think it would be convenient to have fewer dependencies. I think the client would be better off getting away from Qt and boost. I think using  openssl makes sense, but if it weren't needed, that would be nice for me.
misterbigg
Legendary

Activity: 1064
Merit: 1001

View Profile
June 03, 2013, 04:26:31 PM

I would just take out ...OpenSSL...

I'd love to see that. Let me know how far you get!
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: