Bitcoin Forum
May 26, 2024, 11:16:44 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Rewritting code and some ideas...  (Read 537 times)
bnogal (OP)

Activity: 179
Merit: 100

View Profile
June 01, 2013, 01:07:39 PM

Hi.
I just wanted ask for opinion and reasons. I guess everybody applied the rule "if it works dont touch it" but looking at the code, i just hate everything i see (i am working with C++ for 8 years already)
I think it is a real problem in bitcoin/litecoin/ppcoin/***coin and i was thinking about work on it... but before starting i wanna save time asking to the ones were checking the code already.

I think it is possible to take out dependencies of bitcoin and delete millions of globals used on it, clarify and simplify lot of things. Using Qt i think there is no sense to use boost and openssl. If i am wrong or u think it would take too much time, just answer "dont try it". Cleaning the app of SHIT would make lot easier to port it to android/iphone, now that Qt is going to work there (it is already)

I just know any static code analyzer would say the whole program is a shit, and all these is just making too complicated something should be easy. All this is because i want to make an experiment adding a learning algorithm to decide reward/difficult/fee
using as input:
reward
difficult
fee
time from last found block
nº transactions
selectable vote applied to transactions/mining so people can decide how happy they are.

And try to maximize this last parameter.

Other idea i didnt see.... but i am quite sure it exists already (or should), is a way to print notes that can be charged to a wallet using the mobile.

thx for your time.
Joerii
Legendary

Activity: 1274
Merit: 1050

View Profile WWW
June 01, 2013, 01:09:55 PM

Hi.
I just wanted ask for opinion and reasons. I guess everybody applied the rule "if it works dont touch it" but looking at the code, i just hate everything i see (i am working with C++ for 8 years already)
I think it is a real problem in bitcoin/litecoin/ppcoin/***coin and i was thinking about work on it... but before starting i wanna save time asking to the ones were checking the code already.

I think it is possible to take out dependencies of bitcoin and delete millions of globals used on it, clarify and simplify lot of things. Using Qt i think there is no sense to use boost and openssl. If i am wrong or u think it would take too much time, just answer "dont try it". Cleaning the app of SHIT would make lot easier to port it to android/iphone, now that Qt is going to work there (it is already)

I just know any static code analyzer would say the whole program is a shit, and all these is just making too complicated something should be easy. All this is because i want to make an experiment adding a learning algorithm to decide reward/difficult/fee
using as input:
reward
difficult
fee
time from last found block
nº transactions
selectable vote applied to transactions/mining so people can decide how happy they are.

And try to maximize this last parameter.

Other idea i didnt see.... but i am quite sure it exists already (or should), is a way to print notes that can be charged to a wallet using the mobile.

thx for your time.

Are you asking : "Should I optimise the code to make porting easier ?"

Who would say no to that Smiley

Hypercube - get the attention you deserve
sor.rge

Activity: 42
Merit: 0

View Profile
June 01, 2013, 01:37:40 PM

There are some alternative bitcoin clients, you may want to take a look.
galambo

Activity: 966
Merit: 311

View Profile
June 01, 2013, 02:27:54 PM

I don't know about your project idea of selecting all those variables for perceived happiness but if you want a refactored version of bitcoin there is "libcoin"

https://github.com/libcoin/libcoin
bnogal (OP)

Activity: 179
Merit: 100

View Profile
June 01, 2013, 03:08:19 PM

I don't know about your project idea of selecting all those variables for perceived happiness but if you want a refactored version of bitcoin there is "libcoin"

https://github.com/libcoin/libcoin

Nice, this is just what i wanted Smiley Seems that is well documented and well structured. I would just take out "Berkeley DB, Boost and OpenSSL" and put Qt. But having it clean it is not a problem anymore Smiley
You saved my holidays and a reinvented wheel. Thx

kaputt

Activity: 70
Merit: 10

View Profile
June 03, 2013, 04:08:19 PM

I am normally the "If it ain't broke, don't fix it" type, but I do think it would be convenient to have fewer dependencies. I think the client would be better off getting away from Qt and boost. I think using  openssl makes sense, but if it weren't needed, that would be nice for me.
misterbigg
Legendary

Activity: 1064
Merit: 1001

View Profile
June 03, 2013, 04:26:31 PM

I would just take out ...OpenSSL...

I'd love to see that. Let me know how far you get!
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: