Bitcoin Forum
June 21, 2024, 09:29:49 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: I quit smoking  (Read 1021 times)
btceic (OP)

Activity: 392
Merit: 250

♫ A wave came crashing like a fist to the jaw ♫

View Profile WWW
June 01, 2013, 02:05:45 PM

Today is day 37 without a cigarette and I feel really good about this.

Please post if you have quit smoking recently.

♫ This situation, which side are you on? Are you getting out? Are you dropping bombs? Have you heard of diplomatic resolve? ♫ How To Run A Cheap Full Bitcoin Node For $19 A Year ♫ If I knew where it was, I would take you there. There’s much more than this. ♫ Track Your Bitcoins Value
jackjack
Legendary

Activity: 1176
Merit: 1255

May Bitcoin be touched by his Noodly Appendage

View Profile
June 01, 2013, 02:08:31 PM

I never smoked and will never smoke, but congratulations. Keep fighting.
Quick story?

Own address: 19QkqAza7BHFTuoz9N8UQkryP4E9jHo4N3 - Pywallet support: 1AQDfx22pKGgXnUZFL1e4UKos3QqvRzNh5 - Bitcointalk++ script support: 1Pxeccscj1ygseTdSV1qUqQCanp2B2NMM2
Pywallet: instructions. Encrypted wallet support, export/import keys/addresses, backup wallets, export/import CSV data from/into wallet, merge wallets, delete/import addresses and transactions, recover altcoins sent to bitcoin addresses, sign/verify messages and files with Bitcoin addresses, recover deleted wallets, etc.
btceic (OP)

View Profile WWW
June 01, 2013, 02:19:38 PM

I never smoked and will never smoke, but congratulations. Keep fighting.
Quick story?

Sorry, no story, nothing dramatic happened, I smoked for 22 years (wow looks scary when I write that down, never have....), up and decided to quit because I had had enough of it, my twins turned 10 this past year and well... that's about it.

♫ This situation, which side are you on? Are you getting out? Are you dropping bombs? Have you heard of diplomatic resolve? ♫ How To Run A Cheap Full Bitcoin Node For $19 A Year ♫ If I knew where it was, I would take you there. There’s much more than this. ♫ Track Your Bitcoins Value
Mike Christ
aka snapsunny
Legendary

Activity: 1078
Merit: 1003

View Profile
June 01, 2013, 02:26:45 PM

Sorry, no story, nothing dramatic happened, I smoked for 22 years (wow looks scary when I write that down, never have....), up and decided to quit because I had had enough of it, my twins turned 10 this past year and well... that's about it.

My pops smoked for about the same time as you, maybe longer.  He had real bad health issues because of it, but, after he got pneumonia, he had to stop smoking for at least a week, and once he recovered, he figured he's just stop smoking since he already had a start.  And he'd never smoked again after that.  Congrats on kicking the habit tho.

btceic (OP)

View Profile WWW
June 01, 2013, 02:29:08 PM

My pops smoked for about the same time as you, maybe longer.  He had real bad health issues because of it, but, after he got pneumonia, he had to stop smoking for at least a week, and once he recovered, he figured he's just stop smoking since he already had a start.  And he'd never smoked again after that.  Congrats on kicking the habit tho.

Thanks I appreciate the encouragement

btceic (OP)

View Profile WWW
June 01, 2013, 02:30:12 PM

Any way to put an auto counter on this?

Inglewood

Activity: 253

View Profile
June 01, 2013, 04:09:39 PM

Woo! I don't smoke but I've heard about how difficult it can be to quit. Congrats!
RichG

Activity: 434

View Profile
June 01, 2013, 09:13:55 PM

Good for you.
bitwhizz
Legendary

Activity: 910
Merit: 1000

View Profile
June 01, 2013, 09:36:55 PM

first full day i've quite smoking afer 2 weeks on champix
aigeezer
Legendary

Activity: 1450
Merit: 1013

Cryptanalyst castrated by his government, 1952

View Profile
June 01, 2013, 09:39:09 PM

Congratulations! It's really hard. I quit over 40 years ago - that's recent in geological terms.

Some good news: you'll be able to smell again after a while, food will taste much better after a while, you won't be coughing for "no reason", your teeth and fingers won't be yellow, you won't get colds as often (I think), you'll save a lot of money, and... of course... it may save your life.

Some bad news: the craving may come back even after a year or two - long after you think it's over - especially if you are under stress. Resist it, or you're back in the soup. One day, tobacco smoke will smell awful and chances are you'll never be tempted once that happens.

Tips: try a really strong mint like Altoids or Terry's if the craving is strong. Watch out that you don't get hooked on sweets though. Find something to do with your hands - they will feel weird for quite a while if they're not holding something to smoke. Don't hang out around smokers if you can avoid them. Get rid of lighters and matches - don't put them in a spare drawer "just in case".

Weird predictions: in a few years, you'll be able to pick out who smokes instantly from the smell on their clothing or an object they've handled. Ashtrays will look filthy rather than just being a normal part of life. Tobacco will seem ridiculously expensive - you'll feel like you've put one over on the tax man. You'll be able to choose the cheaper column for insurance premiums and feel smug.

Anyway - good luck to you!

btceic (OP)

View Profile WWW
June 01, 2013, 09:55:14 PM

first full day i've quite smoking afer 2 weeks on champix

Congrats!

Thanks everybody for the encouraging words it is appreciated.

ganabb

Activity: 434

View Profile
June 02, 2013, 07:36:22 AM

congratulations on day 44 without a cigarette.

ondratra

Activity: 350

View Profile
June 02, 2013, 03:16:29 PM

I heard a yogi once and he said very wise thing: "It is not drugs that are bad - the are neither good or bad by their nature. The bad thing is human attachment to them."

Congratulation man Wink
btceic (OP)

View Profile WWW
June 02, 2013, 03:17:30 PM

I heard a yogi once and he said very wise thing: "It is not drugs that are bad - the are neither good or bad by their nature. The bad thing is human attachment to them."

Congratulation man Wink

Thanks!

mprep
Global Moderator
Legendary

Activity: 3766
Merit: 2610

In a world of peaches, don't ask for apple sauce

View Profile WWW
June 02, 2013, 03:49:02 PM

Congrats. Haven't smoked and not planning to. Seems like pretty big waste of money, health and time to even consider such option. Hold on and don't give up.

btceic (OP)

View Profile WWW
June 02, 2013, 03:51:07 PM

Congrats. Haven't smoked and not planning to. Seems like pretty big waste of money, health and time to even consider such option. Hold on and don't give up.

Thank you!

mprep
Global Moderator
Legendary

View Profile WWW
June 02, 2013, 04:23:43 PM

Thank you!
Your welcome. Good to see another human make it out alive from the depths of nicotine addiction.

btceic (OP)

View Profile WWW
June 14, 2013, 02:50:05 PM

Day 50!

mprep
Global Moderator
Legendary

View Profile WWW
June 14, 2013, 03:29:43 PM

Day 50!
Congrats. Keep going.  Smiley

Pages: [1]
  Print