Bitcoin Forum
June 08, 2024, 05:37:24 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 [2]  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Some BFL Jalapeno Power Numbers  (Read 7566 times)
-ck
Legendary

Activity: 4130
Merit: 1636

Ruu \o/

View Profile WWW
June 07, 2013, 10:08:44 AM

This may be a silly question but I don't think I have seen anybody on this forum try it. Have you mined any other coins than bitcoins?
They can only mine bitcoin.
No, they can mine any sha256x2 coins, which some of the altcoins are. Most of the recent flood of bullshit altcoins are all scrypt though.

Developer/maintainer for cgminer, ckpool/ckproxy, and the -ck kernel
2% Fee Solo mining at solo.ckpool.org
-ck
Bicknellski

Activity: 924
Merit: 1000

View Profile
June 07, 2013, 10:28:09 AM

This may be a silly question but I don't think I have seen anybody on this forum try it. Have you mined any other coins than bitcoins?
No, they can mine any sha256x2 coins, which some of the altcoins are. Most of the recent flood of bullshit altcoins are all scrypt though.

Freicoin, Peer2PeerCoin and Teracoin... major ones without merged mining.

Namecoin, Devcoin, IXcoin... are a few that you can merge mine I think if you can find a pool.

Missing any?

Dogie trust abuse, spam, bullying, conspiracy posts & insults to forum members. Ask the mods or admins to move Dogie's spam or off topic stalking posts to the link above.
canton

Activity: 261
Merit: 285

View Profile WWW
June 07, 2013, 11:17:01 PM

Well I've been using 4 Jalapeños to play games, does that count?
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rmpasmzP1B4
bitbeast

Activity: 70
Merit: 10

View Profile
June 14, 2013, 11:48:15 AM

Missing any?

- Missin' alot:

http://dustcoin.com/mining

Time is money mining.
GigaWave

Activity: 239
Merit: 250

View Profile
June 14, 2013, 02:43:26 PM

Here's some interesting numbers to think about:

Electricity at $0.12/KWh (my approx power cost)

Electricity cost per YEAR: $38.00

Assuming current BTC price, the Jalapeno would need to mine less than 0.30 BTC per YEAR to be unprofitable

Profitable Until Difficulty >2 BILLION (>166x current diff)

ETA of break-even at my silly purchase price of 23 BTC cause I'm impatient and wanted hardware now (assuming 75% profitability decline per year): 112 days

Estimated net profit in 1 year time frame: 5168.44 USD

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/1181169/P1010168.jpg

On the unprofitable point. Are you really will to only make pennies or even just a few dollars a month for your time an hassle to maintain the miner?

Most miners seem to only be willing to run a miner if it is making at least double what the power cost is, if not more. (Another point a lot of people don't seem to take into account when talking about power usage with Asics is the power to remove the heat generated by the miner. This essentially means any power cost calculated from the draw from the wall needs to be doubled at least. Yes their is some situation where cooling/power usage is not a issue, but these people are the minority). Just wanted to point this out as I can't recall the last time this was mentioned, I'm sure it will get lost with most other post that point out important factors to making a ASIC purchase, but eh, at least I tried.

BTW, not sure how you came up with that BTC total for 1 year. But all I will say is good luck with that. <-Last sentence was sarcasm.
Photon939 (OP)

Activity: 452
Merit: 250

View Profile
June 14, 2013, 03:31:11 PM

Yes all your points are good ones to think about and my estimates are not great but even punching in continuous 30% diff increases for the next 12 months I'm still coming out well ahead.

As to the efforts to maintain the miner, they're basically zero now due to my hardware watchdog that automatically reboots the pi if it stops mining, I'll be releasing that soon once I finish my thermistor code
Pages: « 1 [2]  All
  Print  

Jump to: