Bitcoin Forum
May 02, 2024, 11:09:02 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 [5] 6 7 8 9 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: [Group Buy] BFL ASICs, + Board Design Underway.  (Read 15346 times)
joeventura

Activity: 854
Merit: 500

View Profile
June 19, 2013, 12:25:27 AM

I believe he's in Canada.

So... +1a ?

I'll be here all week... try the veal!

It took me a minute, yeah that's pretty funny!

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
TalkImg was created especially for hosting images on bitcointalk.org: try it next time you want to post an image
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
joeventura

View Profile
June 19, 2013, 12:27:23 AM

Anyone figured out how expensive it would be to build and populate a clone board?

The board alone in quantities of 1000 would be between $20 and $40USD per board.
I have 5 quotes to support this number.

No idea on cost to populate.
msdrahcir

Activity: 10
Merit: 0

View Profile
June 19, 2013, 01:05:32 AM

what would be the production time estimate? Please don't say two weeks.
joeventura

View Profile
June 19, 2013, 01:46:15 AM

4 Weeks $26 each quantity 500
CanaryInTheMine
Donator
Legendary

Activity: 2352
Merit: 1060

between a rock and a block!

View Profile
June 19, 2013, 01:55:07 AM

Really depends on when chips arrive.
If no chips are ordered, timeframes won't help.
CanaryInTheMine
Donator
Legendary

View Profile
June 19, 2013, 02:48:31 AM

why don't we just ask BFL about who produced boards for them?
that place can easily produce them again since they've done it already, no?
mtbitcoin
Legendary

Activity: 876
Merit: 1000

Etherscan.io

View Profile
June 19, 2013, 04:57:48 AM

Similar situation, I have 32 codes that I would be willing to put forward to the group buy if there is a real chance (as in "99%") assembly that provides "ready to run" rigs/boards/blades.

Cheers

EtherScan::Ethereum Block Explorer | BlockScan::Coming Soon
intron

Activity: 427
Merit: 251

- electronics design|embedded software|verilog -

View Profile
June 19, 2013, 05:23:37 PM

Is the firware or when there is a FPGA the FPGA object file
available from BFL? Otherwise you end up with just the
bare metal and not a functional miner.

intron
CanaryInTheMine
Donator
Legendary

View Profile
June 19, 2013, 05:32:32 PM

Is the firware or when there is a FPGA the FPGA object file
available from BFL? Otherwise you end up with just the
bare metal and not a functional miner.

intron
https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=235312.0
eduffield
Legendary

Activity: 1176
Merit: 1036

Dash Developer

View Profile WWW
June 19, 2013, 10:27:15 PM

Put me down for 12 chips

Dash - Digital Cash | dash.org | dashfoundation.io | dashgo.io
af_newbie
Legendary

Activity: 2688
Merit: 1468

View Profile WWW
June 19, 2013, 10:55:30 PM
Last edit: June 20, 2013, 02:30:34 AM by af_newbie

how will the credit program be incorporated into this group buy?
You would transfer the credits to my email address, and the cost for chips would be lowered.

Interested. Are there any shipping limitations? Slovenia, EU?

EDIT: not sure if you have this data but how much is necessary to pay at once? Full or half price?

Half price for the chips now, the remainder later. There aren't any shipping restrictions, but I can't speak to what your country will do for duty/tax.

What country are you based in?

What country are you based in? +1
As MXRider said, I am in Canada. The actual procedure for getting the chips is still up in the air (pun partially intended). At this point, the group buy is getting serious enough (a couple thousand chips possibly) that I might end up flying to the US to acquire them and for those that are interested in having the chips assembled get that process underway immediately. For those that aren't, chips would be shipped out from there to avoid me having to import them into Canada.

Not sure why you want to redesign their 8 chip ref. board.  All is there.  I can't find BOM, I guess you can get it from PCB+schematics, but it would be nice to get the actual part numbers+sources.  

4pcb.com would do this board. I have not run a quote, but I'm guessing $15

shmadz
Legendary

Activity: 1512
Merit: 1000

@theshmadz

View Profile
June 20, 2013, 12:24:09 AM

<snip>
 I plan to place the order on Friday June 21st, so all transactions will need to be done before then.
</snip>

Any updates on the progress? Friday is fast approaching...

"You have no moral right to rule us, nor do you possess any methods of enforcement that we have reason to fear." - John Perry Barlow, 1996
babcoccl

Activity: 36

View Profile
June 20, 2013, 01:32:27 AM

how will the credit program be incorporated into this group buy?
You would transfer the credits to my email address, and the cost for chips would be lowered.

Interested. Are there any shipping limitations? Slovenia, EU?

EDIT: not sure if you have this data but how much is necessary to pay at once? Full or half price?

Half price for the chips now, the remainder later. There aren't any shipping restrictions, but I can't speak to what your country will do for duty/tax.

What country are you based in?

What country are you based in? +1
As MXRider said, I am in Canada. The actual procedure for getting the chips is still up in the air (pun partially intended). At this point, the group buy is getting serious enough (a couple thousand chips possibly) that I might end up flying to the US to acquire them and for those that are interested in having the chips assembled get that process underway immediately. For those that aren't, chips would be shipped out from there to avoid me having to import them into Canada.

MrTeal, I'm in Toronto area.
Not sure why you want to redesign their 8 chip ref. board.  All is there.  I can't find BOM, I guess you can get it from PCB+schematics, but it would be nice to get the actual part numbers+sources.  I've put all their docs in one place for my reference.  Here it is if others want to use it:

http://www.petermoss.com/bitforce

4pcb.com would do this board. I have not run a quote, but I'm guessing $15

You probably want to redesign the board because it's supposed to support 8 engines but only actually supports 2.

4pcb probably could build the board for $15 if you order a run of several thousand.
af_newbie
Legendary

Activity: 2688
Merit: 1468

View Profile WWW
June 20, 2013, 02:01:10 AM

You probably want to redesign the board because it's supposed to support 8 engines but only actually supports 2.

Not sure I understand.  Each chip supports 16 engines @ 250 MHz, there are 8 chips on the board.
Where did you get 2 engines from?

babcoccl

View Profile
June 20, 2013, 02:40:42 AM

Not sure I understand.  Each chip supports 16 engines @ 250 MHz, there are 8 chips on the board.
Where did you get 2 engines from?

The board release was the design for the SC jalapeno right? as far as I know more than 2 chips on the board melts the traces...hence why the Jally has open slots right?
babcoccl

View Profile
June 20, 2013, 02:52:12 AM

There's some word mincing in their chip spec. One chip contains 16 engines and the board design released is supposed to support 8 chips. Now I was under the impression that the board design released would only support 2 chips even though there is space for 8 because more than 2 generates enough heat to melt traces. Let me know if I'm incorrect in that assumption.
SLok

Activity: 568

View Profile
June 20, 2013, 03:23:52 AM

There's some word mincing in their chip spec. One chip contains 16 engines and the board design released is supposed to support 8 chips. Now I was under the impression that the board design released would only support 2 chips even though there is space for 8 because more than 2 generates enough heat to melt traces. Let me know if I'm incorrect in that assumption.
You are right:
from BFL forum shoutbox:
BFL-Josh: "The point of us releasing the design stuff wasn't so people can just go make their own BFL stuff... it was so people can make new stuff.".
 " If you are planning on designing off that Jalapeno board, you should consider different mosfets. Those will overheat with more than 1 chip." .
"Even two chips drives those particular mosfets really, really hot." .
"Well, I'm not sure I'd drive 300 watts through that board, if that's what you mean..." .
"We have a number of 8 chip short board units that have been working for quite awhile, but I wouldn't trust them without some changes and additoinal cooling. With a waterblock you'd probably be golden."

WARNING! Don't trade BTC with Bruno Kucinskas aka Gleb Gamow, Phinnaeus Gage, etc Laundering BTC from anonymous sellers, avoid!https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=649176.msg7279994#msg7279994 #TELLFBI #TELLKSAG #TELLIRS WARNING! Darin M. Bicknell, a proclaimed atheist, teaching at the Jakarta CanadianMontessori School. Drop your kids there at your own risk! WARNING! Christian Otzipka - Hildesheim is a known group-buy scammer, avoid! WARNING! Frizz Supertramp, faker with dozens of accounts here! WARNING! Christian "2 coins to see SLOk's" Antkow, still playing his little microphone...WARNING! Slobodan "Stolen Valor" Bogovac, faking being a ProfessorWARNING!Marion Sydney Lynn, google him, errr her, errr.. and lol
MrTeal (OP)
Legendary

Activity: 1274
Merit: 1004

View Profile
June 20, 2013, 05:08:25 AM

What is the state now?
I've actually been swamped with work getting the group buy together. Work is slowly progressing on the PCB, though it's been sped up by BFL releasing the documentation of their chips. The plan is to submit the order to BFL on Friday and arrange for samples to be shipped out, and get the design finished and test boards under construction the week following. If revisions need to be made the schedule leaves time for that, and then production boards can be ordered with a longer leadtime to keep costs reasonable while we're waiting for the chips to arrive.

Once chips arrive, they'll go to the assembly house for anyone who's interested in having a board made, or shipped directly to you.

Are you planning on producing the board that BFL released gerbers for?
No, not unless they release the longboard. The Jalapeno board has some issues and I don't think it would be worthwhile duplicating it.
MrTeal (OP)
Legendary

View Profile
June 20, 2013, 05:17:18 AM

BFL released just the PCB for the 5Gh jalapeno

Its in Altrium format.

The problem is you can only mount two chips on it (it has pads for 8 I think) otherwise it will get to hot and fry.

They are 10 Layer boards and they are NOT cheap to have manufactured even in 1000 lots they are like $30 a pop

I have already converted the Altrium files to Gerber files, pick files and Bill of materials files.

Yea, BFL also released the gerbers on their forum. I was surprised at the amount of layers. And bypass capacitors.
Those 0201 capacitors aren't actually populated I don't believe, although I'm just going off memory and I don't have a Jalapeno board here to check. It would be pretty strange to have a bunch of actual capacitors under the back plate though.
MrTeal (OP)
Legendary

View Profile
June 20, 2013, 05:21:53 AM

LOL... Two weeks? Unfortunately, it probably will end up being something along these lines. Getting the chips to the assembly house and then doing a super rush couple day run would drive the cost way up.
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 [5] 6 7 8 9 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: